Clear All
  • ZagNut08
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Most Important Zag Ever

Burgess - the first great Zag...dominant offensive powers

Stockton - arguably the greatest NBA PG ever

Calvary - His tips got us some of our first huge wins in the NCAA tourney

Morrison - First Zag to become NCAA player of the year and go 3rd in NBA draft
    Burgess
    1.98%
    Stockton
    61.39%
    Calvary
    24.75%
    Morrison
    11.88%
  • lothar98zag
    PostPadder General
    • Feb 2007

Bing
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Nevtelen
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I think you have to say Stockton. After what he's accomplished in life and also the amount to which he's aided to program by his presence (I'm sure the knowledge that Stockton is around helps on the recruiting trail a lot still) you gotta go with him.

Comment

• spotucky
        Redshirt
        • Feb 2007

I would say Ammo just because the publicity GU got, and that helped recruiting, and with him going #3 that just showed the high caliber players that they don't have to go to a factory school to be a high draft pick. Which will lead to greater recruiting and soon a national championship!!!!!

Comment

• applezag
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

Quentin Hall

Comment

• Fonebone
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

Casey

I say Casey for this reason. I remember some commentator saying something like "He is too good an athlete to be playing for Gonzaga - he is more like a Pac 10 (8 ?) player"

Looking back, perhaps he is the guy who really broke the mold in terms of the type of players we get. If so, that makes him the most important to me. Not the best, but in terms of importance to the program, paving the way for the start of the increase in talent that continues to this day.

Comment

• soonerterp
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Stockton. Duh!

Comment

• bigblahla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

1. Stockton

2. Ammo

3. Dickau

4. Burgess

Stockton gets my number one because every game he played in the NBA had a mention he was from Gonzaga. His career was instrumental in starting national awareness of GU.

Ammo received more national exposure over his career at GU than any other Gonzaga player.

Dickau his play and All American status reinforced the idea that Gonzaga is Guard U.

Burgess the first and for his time a great collegiate baller.

Still lovem all the though.

GO!! ZAGS!!!
                "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                  1. Stockton

2. Ammo

3. Dickau

4. Burgess

Stockton gets my number one because every game he played in the NBA had a mention he was from Gonzaga. His career was instrumental in starting national awareness of GU.

Ammo received more national exposure over his career at GU than any other Gonzaga player.

Dickau his play and All American status reinforced the idea that Gonzaga is Guard U.

Burgess the first and for his time a great collegiate baller.

Still lovem all the though.

GO!! ZAGS!!!
                  Bigblah nails it (from way downtown, nothing but net. . .)
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• thickman1
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

I chose AMMO. He busted the glass ceiling for kids who come to Gonzaga. He proved that you can play at a small mid-major conference school and still get all the NCAA accolades that come with being a POY candidate and top 5 NBA draft choice. No longer can big conference schools say, "yeah but GU hasn't produced high first rounder picks like X school or X conference."

Comment

• jpwils
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Many

Stockton- not just for his NBA fame but for the classy manner in which he is handling his fame. It is Stockton,along with Burgess who have created a wholesome legacyfor those who come behind to emulate. These two were the trail blazers in my view.

Morrison has had a brilliant college career but still needs to build on that to equal or surpass Stockton.

Dickau reinforced Guard U but lets not forget Santangelo and Frahm and Stepp and Raivio.

Turiauf and Calvary were All American Big men but I would argue
                      JP Batista had just as big an impact in college. Turiauf stands out for his heart and walking thru rough times before making the Lakers.

And I think there is yet another category- Zag Hustle and spirit.
                      Pendo seems to embody that on this team. But there have been lots of others
                      like Spink who would qualify.

Comment

• Zag509
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Feb 2007

No way can you leave Turiaf of that list. A wild, crazy, skinny, and raw island kid turns into an AA and contributes in the NBA??? My vote goes to Ronny.

Comment

• Zag509
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2007

SORRY!!! Just buzzed down the thread, i thought it was most IMPROVED Zag ever. Sorry guys.

Ronny was important, but not on par with those guys.

Its early, give me a break.

Comment

• finechina2003
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

"Most Important" is a matter of semantics. I am going to define it as the player who has had the greatest impact in taking Gonzaga basketball to the elite level it is at today. The player who was most important during his playing days was Morrison as his play and accomplishments brought a bright shining national spotlight on GU basketball. The player who was most important after his GU playing days is Stockton - hands down. His long and illustrious pro career kept GU basketball in the spotlight.

Comment

• scrooner
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Stockton.

Comment

Working...
                              X