Stockton - arguably the greatest NBA PG ever

Calvary - His tips got us some of our first huge wins in the NCAA tourney

Morrison - First Zag to become NCAA player of the year and go 3rd in NBA draft

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Bing

Nevtelen
06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I think you have to say Stockton. After what he's accomplished in life and also the amount to which he's aided to program by his presence (I'm sure the knowledge that Stockton is around helps on the recruiting trail a lot still) you gotta go with him.

spotucky
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I would say Ammo just because the publicity GU got, and that helped recruiting, and with him going #3 that just showed the high caliber players that they don't have to go to a factory school to be a high draft pick. Which will lead to greater recruiting and soon a national championship!!!!!:D

applezag
06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Quentin Hall

Fonebone
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I say Casey for this reason. I remember some commentator saying something like "He is too good an athlete to be playing for Gonzaga - he is more like a Pac 10 (8 ?) player"

Looking back, perhaps he is the guy who really broke the mold in terms of the type of players we get. If so, that makes him the most important to me. Not the best, but in terms of importance to the program, paving the way for the start of the increase in talent that continues to this day.

soonerterp
06-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Stockton. Duh!

bigblahla
06-28-2007, 05:08 AM
1. Stockton

2. Ammo

3. Dickau

4. Burgess

Stockton gets my number one because every game he played in the NBA had a mention he was from Gonzaga. His career was instrumental in starting national awareness of GU.

Ammo received more national exposure over his career at GU than any other Gonzaga player.

Dickau his play and All American status reinforced the idea that Gonzaga is Guard U.

Burgess the first and for his time a great collegiate baller.

Still lovem all the though.

GO!! ZAGS!!!

RenoZag
06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
1. Stockton

2. Ammo

3. Dickau

4. Burgess

Stockton gets my number one because every game he played in the NBA had a mention he was from Gonzaga. His career was instrumental in starting national awareness of GU.

Ammo received more national exposure over his career at GU than any other Gonzaga player.

Dickau his play and All American status reinforced the idea that Gonzaga is Guard U.

Burgess the first and for his time a great collegiate baller.

Still lovem all the though.

GO!! ZAGS!!!

Bigblah nails it (from way downtown, nothing but net. . .)

thickman1
06-28-2007, 07:01 AM
I chose AMMO. He busted the glass ceiling for kids who come to Gonzaga. He proved that you can play at a small mid-major conference school and still get all the NCAA accolades that come with being a POY candidate and top 5 NBA draft choice. No longer can big conference schools say, "yeah but GU hasn't produced high first rounder picks like X school or X conference."

jpwils
06-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Stockton- not just for his NBA fame but for the classy manner in which he is handling his fame. It is Stockton,along with Burgess who have created a wholesome legacyfor those who come behind to emulate. These two were the trail blazers in my view.

Morrison has had a brilliant college career but still needs to build on that to equal or surpass Stockton.

Dickau reinforced Guard U but lets not forget Santangelo and Frahm and Stepp and Raivio.

Turiauf and Calvary were All American Big men but I would argue
JP Batista had just as big an impact in college. Turiauf stands out for his heart and walking thru rough times before making the Lakers.

And I think there is yet another category- Zag Hustle and spirit.
Pendo seems to embody that on this team. But there have been lots of others
like Spink who would qualify.

Zag509
06-28-2007, 07:48 AM
No way can you leave Turiaf of that list. A wild, crazy, skinny, and raw island kid turns into an AA and contributes in the NBA??? My vote goes to Ronny.

Zag509
06-28-2007, 07:51 AM
SORRY!!! Just buzzed down the thread, i thought it was most IMPROVED Zag ever. Sorry guys.

Ronny was important, but not on par with those guys.

Its early, give me a break.

finechina2003
06-28-2007, 09:00 AM
"Most Important" is a matter of semantics. I am going to define it as the player who has had the greatest impact in taking Gonzaga basketball to the elite level it is at today. The player who was most important during his playing days was Morrison as his play and accomplishments brought a bright shining national spotlight on GU basketball. The player who was most important after his GU playing days is Stockton - hands down. His long and illustrious pro career kept GU basketball in the spotlight.

scrooner
06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Stockton.

gamagin
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
2. Fr. Pierre DeSmet
3. Bing Crosby
4. John Stockton
5. Mike Pecerovic
6. Puggy Hunton
7. Tony Canadeo
8. Ray Flaherty
9. Frank burgess
10.Ammo

jazzdelmar
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
his recruitment and play led the way..................

BobZag
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Dickau for keeping it going.

Batista for anchoring the middle when most needed.

I think Stepp and Cory belong too.

tyra
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
GU's games are almost all televised. GU has a large number of nationally televised games as well. Every game there is the obligatory but glorious shot of the greatest assist leader the NBA will EVER see sitting there in the stands cheering on his alma mater. This is not really close people. John Stockton did what no other NBA guard will ever do again (assist leader). John Stockton supports GU in a million (no pun intended) ways, some known and some unknown. John Stockton defines GU's "basketball character".

Frazzle
06-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I can't believe the debate. The choice is clear: it's Casey Calvary. :) I was a student at GU during the Elite Eight run and remember one of my professors telling the class that all of the downloads following the Zags advancing to the Elite Eight crashed the servers.

Prior to that run, Gonzaga was just a small school that no one knew about, except as a trivia answer to the question, "What college did John Stockton attend?" Now, GU regularly appears on Nat'l TV and competes for high level recruits from around the country. None of that is possible with that tip in.

jaydee77
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Dan Fitzgerald. Without Fitz starting the ball rolling, we are most likely a D2 school.

lawzag
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
As noted by finechina, most important is a matter of semantics, using only the 4 names given:
1) most important to the University overall = Stockton; :doh:
2) most important to the current level of the basketball program = Calvery;:clap:
3) most important to the current national notoriety & visibility of GU basketball = Ammo; :cheers:
4) most important to the rich history of GU basketball = Burgess (a black man & a star at a private university in the PNW in his era WOW!):adored:

Best to say, these 4 men are some of the most important GU alumi of all time. Thus, they each get their due for their great accomplishments and great contributions to GU.

sittingon50
06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Which Burgess?;)

ZagNut08
06-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Which Burgess?;)

David, was there another one?

Birddog
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Which Burgess?
Good question.

Actually, the most important is some guy from Idaho that wrote a personal check back in the 70's to keep GU afloat in a sea of red ink. Many don't know it, but GU could have gone down for the count. Angelo (among others) can fill us in if he desires. It's really embarassing that I can't recall his name(Magnuson maybe?)

Birddog

gamagin
06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Henry Day.

mendiant
06-28-2007, 08:21 PM
2. Fr. Pierre DeSmet
3. Bing Crosby
4. John Stockton
5. Mike Pecerovic
6. Puggy Hunton
7. Tony Canadeo
8. Ray Flaherty
9. Frank burgess
10.Ammo

Great list...Fr Tony should be in there somewhere...

Bobzags' list has confused me. I love all of those guys but not on the level of the LIST suggested imo.

Really I DO LOVE all of those guys.

How do you NOT choose John Stockton?

My personal bias (grade school and high school with John) does not even count here. It's just common sense.

Although I would add one more...yes it's Zach Gourde.

Love my Zach...he is a 32; a STUDENT ATHLETE. Brainy, brauny and great hair sense...a true ZAG.

I always wondered if Zach's middle name began with an "A"; his monogram would be, appropriatly, ZAG.

love for all of my guys,
mendiant

Bocco
06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Its kind of like asking which one of you kids to you love the most. Perhaps a better question would be most important Zag team ever. Until we win a national championship it will be the 98-99 team.

Greatest Zag ever Fr. Joseph Cataldo since he founded the university.

Zag79
06-29-2007, 01:17 AM
How do you NOT choose John Stockton?

as far as the most impt zag, depending on how you look at it john isnt it. AFTER he played at GU he mad e a name for himself in the nba, but at no time did it really influence the school and its national exposure. casey and the boys making those first couple runs did. then dickau and stepp for keeping it rolling until mo came along and poped the top off opening it for everyone to know who GU is. stockton is great, obviously, but most impt zag as far as getting to where we are now IMO no.

Although I would add one more...yes it's Zach Gourde.
:lmao: are we in the same conversation mendiant? ;) j.k

gueastcoast
06-29-2007, 04:39 AM
What a great point. Harry Magnuson. And from what I understand (too young to have been there), that is pretty much what happened.

sonuvazag
06-29-2007, 06:32 AM
AFTER he played at GU he mad e a name for himself in the nba, but at no time did it really influence the school and its national exposure. As much as I am always Stockton-biased you are right, 79... aside from the point I quoted.
At no time? Many Zag fans across the country state they came on board because of Stockton just as I've heard many Steve Nash fans reference Santa Clara as the Steve Nash school. Stockton put Gonzaga's name on national television every night of the NBA Finals in 97 and 98... right next to his name and that was significant exposure since he was one of the top stars in those series... Who can forget all the mispronunciations and many times it was stated "John Stockton from the little school Gonzaga in Spokane."

Who knows? Maybe some of the players who went to GU at the time of 98-99 liked the idea of attending that little school partly to join that legacy. After all, Fitz who resided over getting Stockton to GU also was the head coach who recruited the 98-99 squad (I imagine Monson and Few had great influence also.)

Also I remember hearing that Stockton played a lot of pickup with Santangelo while he attended GU so to divide Stockton from the success of that squad is not correct. I can easily imagine playing against Stockton gave Santangelo an edge... after going toe-to-toe with the greatest NBA point guard in the summer, who at the collegiate level could bring more challenge than that? Not to take anything away from Santangelo and Calvary and all the rest... for what they did they deserve as much credit as anyone.

So, you're right about Zag fever and how the excitement really comes out of the 98-99 season... if anyone is really the architect of what the program is now, I would look at the coaches, first, who resided over the rise to prominence... otherwise I would have to say the 98-99 team itself. No one Zag player can claim all the credit of that squad. Team baby...

But i voted for Stockton.

GonzagaLove
06-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Each player throughout the school's history has paved the way for the next. Hard to say one was more important than the other........but, if I had to choose one it would be Casey.

gamagin
06-29-2007, 09:34 AM
i don't think you could be more wrong about stockton, his contribution etc., to the GU bkb program, then and even now.

besides being in the top 50 among all time nba bkb players, did you know JS spent his summers for nearly two decades as part of the now vaunted summer camp program at GU ? He started it. Or revived it if it existed before that.

He worked out there, beginning with Fitz, but also, later with other trainers brought in to work him like a rented mule in order to prepare and improve.

the process of his work ethic, his talent and his success was well known among gym rats everywhere, but most especially in and around the Martin centre. Coaches knew. teams knew. and most importantly, gym rats and athletes everywhere knew where to find and test themselves among the best.

and if they thought they wanted to emulate the best, they could.

Pendo was one of those whom you've likely read used to head for those same scrimmages when he was in high school. How do you think that all happened ? How did it get started ? How did he know ? How did the word get out ?

As a kid I spent more time in the various GU gyms than anyone, playing and watching. Believe me, there were great scrums and wonderful games and pickup action galore. You could shoot a few with burgess, jean claude, vermillion, right on through Billy Suter, on any given day.

But NOTHING like what evolved at GU w/Stockton and the programs that came from his level of play and the players he drew into the action.

BTW, there wasn't any particular love nor love lost in those games. they were more like WW III at times. there are many who did not enjoy the process of playing against the great one, who NEVER took any prisoners, on the floor or in an argued call.

Did you know JS worked out multiple hours per day, with pre set programs and trainers, in K 1, during most of his pro career ? Soon others joined. Some famous, some not so famous. but came they did. And they knew where it was happening.

Did you know, too, that many of the kids who found their way to GU were in those camps and in that gym and either watched or scrimmaged in same during those summers ? And many, many more wanted to be there and even more wished they had.

It was well known. Whether you were a parent, fan, athlete or coach, where you could perhaps meet and even compete with the best bkb players around.

I believe to miss fact is to miss the real genesis of what has become the current phenomena we all enjoy.

It wasn't that long ago the biggest camp I ever saw at GU was the cheerleaders camp.

It's a wonderful camp and I believe it is still there, but despite rumors to the contrary, it was not the cheerleaders that influenced the growth and development of the basketball program at GU.

It was John Stockton.

best regards,

sonuvazag
06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
The John Stockton School of Basketball If I recall correctly... oh to be ten again.

MickMick
06-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Stockton was huge. Morrison hasn't had his chance yet.

Speaking of the two, didn't they hang out with Grant Gibbs a little?

That my friends is soooo symbolic. The passing of the torch if you will.

Just wait until all those 10 year old kiddies that are so familiar with the cover of a certain video game become eligible. The Ammo influence will be big as will his professional career (I have not given up on his inner fire). We just haven't seen it yet.

D Hark 2003
06-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I would say Lorenzo Rollins or Jim McPhee

Or maybe John Stockton

azzagfan
06-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Santangelo, took us from a Gonzag-who? to darn, those guys are good. He also led those famous press conferences during the elite 8 run that endeared the nation to the Zags.

Zag79
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Santangelo, took us from a Gonzag-who? to darn, those guys are good.
exactly. if it werent for the 99 season and after regardless of stockton nobody would know the zags still today.