• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zags and Fans in Hoopfest

I'm curious to see who we might see on the courts downtown this weekend, from among former Zags and current fans.

So, who has plans to participate, whether playing or as a volunteer? Do you know of former Zags who will be playing?

I see David Pendergraft is playing on the Tonicx team again.

Some links:

Hoopfest site

Search page for players

KXLY Preview Video

Shuttle bus pass available for $1.50 per day with free parking:

Edited to add: I see an "Andrew Sorenson" on the No Ceilings team. Is that our guy?
    • Feb 2007

Stepp

is on Ship It...

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

From a fun article in the Inlander:
      Lingo for Newbies

You found the court, unfolded your lawn chair, got your Big Gulp. But what to yell in support of your uncle, cousin Dexter and that guy from down the street? (“Way to go, guys!” and “Woo-hoo!” seem so trite.)

We gotcha covered. Just memorize the following phrases and then, in the midst of 3-on-3 action, shout them authoritatively and at random.

“Defensively, we need more weakside help.”
      Problem is, defensively, your team’s weak side is actually on both sides of the court.

“Back-cut and throw the alley-oop.”
      Excellent advice, if only cousin Dexter could outleap a shoe box. He can’t.

“You guys need to give 110 percent.”
      Your team may have brought their A game, but it’s actually more like a C-minus game. They’ll need to give 157 percent, minimum.

“Turn and face, then use your crossover step for the ol’ over-and-under.”
      This will confuse post players. Use it when the opposing team’s big man has the ball down low. He’ll immediately commit a traveling violation. Better yet, shout it at the other team’s point guard: instant turnover.

“Hedge the on-ball screen, but don’t let them slip the pick-and-roll.”
      Nobody actually knows what this means. Still, you’ll get knowing nods from your fellow lawn-chair occupants. Either that, or they spiked their Big Gulps.

Comment

• Akzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Wheatland Bank - Colin Floyd and Cory Violette.

They are in the same half of the ( winner's ) bracket as Pendo's Tonicx
        So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• Section 116
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Stopped by and chatted with Sam Dower a bit at the Battle in Seattle Booth and wished him and the team well in the upcoming season. David Stockton was supposed to be there as well, but he wasn't. I asked Sam where David was and he said he had to make a quick trip to Utah but he would be in the booth Saturday at 10am. Also saw Jazmine Redman and Stephanie Golden after Sam left. Numerous fans lined for autographs as you can imagine. Oh, and Woohoo if you read this your posters are in hand!

Comment

• bigparb
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

former whitworth quarterbacks

bigparb and his brother are playing.....8am game tomorrow...ouch.....

and no....we weren't asked to sign autographs down there next to Dower, Sacre and the rest of da squad....

Comment

Ourselves

Per Kelly Graves twitter

kgzag Kelly Graves
              @
              @LoLo_TwoOh for all those Hoopfest lovers -- watch out for Ourselves. My first adventure into Hoopfest. Me and the boys in the fam divis

ZaGranny

Comment

Tim Lewis has a bunch of links

From his twitter:
                tovetupper Tove Tupper
                by TLKREM2
                #FF check out these twitter feeds 4 all ur #hoopfest updates! @KREM2Sports @krem2 @TLKREM2 @shawnchitnis (I'll be out there all wkend too!)
                1 hour ago

TLKREM2 Tim Lewis
                Raw interview with former Gonzaga star Ronny Turiaf (he talks about the Knicks, Hoopfest, the Zags, and more): http://bit.ly/mnYIKP

TLKREM2 Tim Lewis
                Ronny Turiaf cutting the ribbon at a renovated court in Spokane dedicated to his Heart to Heart Foundation: http://ow.ly/i/dqmZ
                10 hours ago

ZaGranny

Comment

Tim Lewis has a couple of links

From his twitter:

TLKREM2 Tim Lewis
                  Raw interview with former Gonzaga star Ronny Turiaf (he talks about the Knicks, Hoopfest, the Zags, and more): http://bit.ly/mnYIKP

TLKREM2 Tim Lewis
                  Ronny Turiaf cutting the ribbon at a renovated court in Spokane dedicated to his Heart to Heart Foundation: http://ow.ly/i/dqmZ
                  10 hours ago

ZaGranny

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

THIS is a wonderful interview

TLKREM2 Tim Lewis
                    Raw interview with former Gonzaga star Ronny Turiaf (he talks about the Knicks, Hoopfest, the Zags, and more):

thanks, Granny, for tracking it down & Tim, for producing it. What an amazing young man Ronny is, for everyone lucky enough to be around him or on his team or just watching how he handles himself. He truly knows how to live.
                    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I'm sort of half-assed watching Hoopfest center court televised on Channel 29 on Comcast Spokane.

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

What does hoopfest have to do with Gonzaga Men's basketball? Reborn is going to throw a hissy fit.

j/k

I wish I could be at hoopfest this year. It's the first time I've missed in a long time. Those 8 AM starts are rough Bigparb especially with all of the parties people throw around hoopfest weekend.
                        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• HOOTER
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

I've seen Sacre in person enough times that his size shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it still does.

Comment

• Section 116
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Former Zags spotted at center court watching Pendo and Team Tonicx:
                            Corey Violette, Derek Raivio (and brother Nik), Matt Bouldin and arriving just as the game ended, Austin Daye.

Comment

• ZagNative
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Hoopfest Notebook in the SR:
                              Two-time defending 6-foot-and-over champion, Tonicx, led by former Gonzaga player David Pendergraft and former Ferris Saxon Eric Benzel, won twice in bracket play and will face Wheatland Bank and two other former Zags, Cory Violette and Colin Floyd, on center court Sunday morning at 9:30.
                              As the 22nd version of the world’s largest 3-on-3 street basketball tournament got under way Saturday under partly cloudy skies and moderate temperatures, Joel Ryman used his stature as a Hoopfest defending champion – 6-foot-and-under elite division – to spread a word.

The former Northwest Christian and CCS star helped No Ceilings to the open title, short version, last season and, due to an injury, is back helping brothers Dan (University High) and Justin (Central Valley) Bright and former Gonzaga player Andrew Sorenson try to make it two in a row.
                              Violette retires

Violette’s presence at Hoopfest is courtesy of a change in his playing status.

“I actually retired,” said the former Gonzaga star, who played last season for the Toshiba team in Kawasaki, Japan. “I was looking for something else to do. I wanted to stay home more. I had a great run, seven years overseas, but I kind of wanted to be around. I love the Northwest.”

Violette, who played at GU from 2001-04, is living in Spokane and working in the financial industry.

“It’s a blast,” he said of his job.

But once a 6-foot-8 rebounding machine, always one. So when Colin Floyd called about a month ago and inquired about Violette joining him in Hoopfest, Violette said yes.

“I thought it would be kind of fun,” he said. “Since I was done playing, if I get hurt it’s no big deal. It’s been a lot of fun so far. Tiring, though.”

Comment

Working...
                              X