• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Kevin Young is now a KU Jayhawk!

Kevin Young, formally of LMU is now a Kansas Jayhawk!

Who would have seen this coming!

I remember watching him play and it was so obvious that he has great basketball skills; however, he was kicked off LMU's team after his sophomore year. He and the coach just couldn't get along. I remember watching the argument between him and the coach during a timeout, in our game at their House two years ago. This created discipline-chemistry issues, resulting in LMU never reaching its potential.

I read on this board a few weeks ago, when we were discussing MA's transfer, that players never "transfer up" to elite programs but always in the opposite direction. Well this is one of two players from WCC that might well be transferring to BCS schools: Young to KU and Bell to Missouri both B12 schools.

Both of these players had "issues" at their last schools and hope that “new” environments allow them to maximize their potential. IMO Young could have a tremendous impact for KU this season, if he is able to manage his temperament! It will be interesting to watch him play at KU, which is one of the top basketball programs in the country.

Kansas has added forward Kevin Young, a 6-foot-8 swingman who will be expected to contribute right away in the Jayhawks' rebuilding project.

"MODs feel free to move this post at your leisure."
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Is he good enough for KU? He was good, but... KU is a blueblood.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ridgebackzag
      Kennel Club
      • Jan 2009

Posted yesterday.

An interesting get for KU.

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        He is what we use to call at UNC-Charlotte a "greyhound," meaning that he can run, handle, shoot and drive. He has the skills to play defense but must devote himself in that area like SG did...lots of upside but whether KU can get him to "believe" in how they do things and be all-in-for-the-team is the question and we will just have to wait and see. He would be no worse than USC's Jones IMO...

Comment

• bigblahla
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

If Kevin Young can get to be as good between the ears as he can be on the floor he will be a game changer.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
          "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• siliconzag
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

BZ's rhetorical ?

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
            It is "self-evident," Bob

Comment

• Section 116
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Steve Fisher is not partcularly happy about this turn of events. Here is how he put it so it could be published in a family newspaper:

"I'm disappointed that a young man who I am very fond of would not feel an obligation to honor an eight-month commitment," Aztecs coach Steve Fisher said. "And I'm equally disappointed in a program and coach I'm very fond of to pursue a player who made an eight-month commitment."

Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ecruit-kansas/

I'm guessing Mr. Fisher used a different sort of language off the record!

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
                Steve Fisher is not partcularly happy about this turn of events. Here is how he put it so it could be published in a family newspaper:

"I'm disappointed that a young man who I am very fond of would not feel an obligation to honor an eight-month commitment," Aztecs coach Steve Fisher said. "And I'm equally disappointed in a program and coach I'm very fond of to pursue a player who made an eight-month commitment."

Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ecruit-kansas/

I'm guessing Mr. Fisher used a different sort of language off the record!
                From what I have read, Coach Fisher is well respected by his players and peers and I hate that he "lost" Kevin Young to KU but that is the nature of the beast, especially when you are not a "top tier" program like KU.

I remember reading that SDSU had a Young who committed to them and thought it was Kevin Young. He would have been a great in that program, possibly another Leonard!

As a Jayhawk, he will play in a much more disciplined style of ball and will have tremendous national visibility.

From reading this article, I was pleasantly surprised that he volunteered as an assistant coach and also played to the PR team. It seems like he has matured and is ready to take the next step. Coach Self would not have given up a scholarship on Kevin Young, if he still had issues. It seems like he took a giant step forward in his life and leaving LMU might have been the best thing to have happened to him.

Comment

• snebzag
                  Kennel Club
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                  If Kevin Young can get to be as good between the ears as he can be on the floor he will be a game changer.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                  I also think, that it is as simple as this. Seen it so many times, talent wasted on poor, poor decesions on and off the court. We will see, wish him the best.

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                    Kevin Young, formally of LMU is now a Kansas Jayhawk!

Who would have seen this coming!

I remember watching him play and it was so obvious that he has great basketball skills; however, he was kicked off LMU's team after his sophomore year. He and the coach just couldn't get along. I remember watching the argument between him and the coach during a timeout, in our game at their House two years ago. This created discipline-chemistry issues, resulting in LMU never reaching its potential.

I read on this board a few weeks ago, when we were discussing MA's transfer, that players never "transfer up" to elite programs but always in the opposite direction. Well this is one of two players from WCC that might well be transferring to BCS schools: Young to KU and Bell to Missouri both B12 schools.

Both of these players had "issues" at their last schools and hope that “new” environments allow them to maximize their potential. IMO Young could have a tremendous impact for KU this season, if he is able to manage his temperament! It will be interesting to watch him play at KU, which is one of the top basketball programs in the country.

Kansas has added forward Kevin Young, a 6-foot-8 swingman who will be expected to contribute right away in the Jayhawks' rebuilding project.

"MODs feel free to move this post at your leisure."

I remember this as well, mostly because LMU surprised the Zags and beat them that day. As I recall, he played well in that game and was on the court when LMU made some big plays down the stretch.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I always thought Kevin had some talent, but I just don't know if he is Kansas good. Even if KU is desperate, Self generally doesn't play marginal players.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2007

Despite my Zag fandom, I grew up a LIon's fan and still go to many of their games. With that said, I would be shocked if Kevin Young was more than a bench warmer for KU. You guys saw him play... a great athlete who could rebound well for his skinny body.. but in BIg 12 play, I think he would get eaten alive if he played considerable minutes.

Comment

Working...
                        X