PDA

View Full Version : Cody Martin: First Team AA (baseball)

Angelo Roncalli
06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
DURHAM, N.C. – (June 15, 2011 – www.gozags.com) – Gonzaga University senior pitcher Cody Martin has been named to the Baseball America All-American First Team Wednesday. The teams were voted by the staff of Baseball America after the regional round of the NCAA Baseball Championships.
As one of six pitchers to be selected first team, Martin is the only one listed as a reliever. The Bulldogs closer made 25 appearances and in 52 1/3 innings pitched, he allowed five earned runs to post a 0.86 earned-run average, which is still the lowest in the country. Martin also recorded 12 saves to break Gonzaga’s single-season record of nine, which the native of Dos Palos, Calif., set as a freshman.
An All-West Coast Conference selection, Martin was selected by the Atlanta Braves in the seventh round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft held last week.
For the second straight year, 17 conferences are represented on the three All-America teams, plus the independent ranks. Eight conferences landed multiple players on the teams, led by the Southeastern Conference with nine, including three first-teamers. The Atlantic Coast Conference produced the most first-teamers (four), and the second-most All-Americans overall (six). The Big 12 was third with four All-Americans, followed by the Pac-10, Southern, Atlantic Sun and Western Athletic conferences with three apiece.
Vanderbilt University led all schools with four All-Americans—all of them on the second team. Fellow SEC co-champion and College World Series participant South Carolina was next with three players on the three teams. The CWS field features a total of 13 All-Americans, including five members of the first team.
More freshmen and seniors made the All-America team in 2011 than a year ago. First-teamer Colin Moran of North Carolina leads a trio of freshmen (up from two in 2010), and fellow first-teamer Martin headlines a contingent of four seniors (up from one in 2010). Juniors, as usual, made up the bulk of the teams, producing 32 All-Americans, including 11 members of the first team.

former1dog
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
An All-West Coast Conference selection, Martin was selected by the Atlanta Braves in the seventh round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft held last week.

Forgive my ignorance on baseball matters and the MLB draft, but is Cody going pro?

sittingon50
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
He's a Sr., out of college eligibility so yes, he will be going pro.

Kids can be drafted out of high school & may then turn pro. If the $'s offered are not to their liking then they have the option of going to college but if they do so they must stay 3 years (in most cases). They can be drafted again after their Jr. year & again need to make a decision as to whether their offer is enough to make them forego their Sr. year.

Their are a few more issues, but those are the basics, dog.

former1dog
06-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Oops!

I misread the article somehow and thought Cody was a soph. Thanks for setting me straight 50.

I should probably follow the baseball team a bit closer. My uncle actually was on the team in the 50's

webspinnre
06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
This is really quite remarkable. Congrats Cody!

Angelo Roncalli
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I think Cody may be GU's first BB first team all-american since Nate Gold. The only other first team AA I can think of from GU was Roger Patterson back in the late '70's.

Zag 77
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
:) At least you got the last name right !

Angelo Roncalli
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
:) At least you got the last name right !

Right you are '77. Mental block.