PDA

View Full Version : SU to WAC

Angelo Roncalli
06-14-2011, 11:42 AM
So reports Husky for UW player and occasional Husky Honk Eldridge Recasner:

http://twitter.com/#!/erecasner/status/80693955745947648

Perhaps another example of why friends don't let friends go to UW?

Angelo Roncalli
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattleuniversity/2015316570_seattleu15.html

kitzbuel
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Where are they gonna play football games? Husky Stadium?

ZaginLaw
06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
"It right off the bat gives you some name recognition and kind of legitimizes from the outside where you are going and who you are with," said Dollar"

Really? Vandal Fan still thinks the WAC has been decimated beyond recognition and considers a move to the Big Sky conference, as a step "up".

It must burn Dollar that he's going to league formerly known as the WAC and Rice is going to the Mountain West.

Zerogame
06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I was cleaning out an old box full of newspaper clippings from my high school days, and a heading caught my eye, "Coach Eyes SU'. The list of candidates to replace Lionel Purcell included, Jerry Tarkanian, Jack Holley(recommended by both Wooden and Rupp),Don Zech, Bob Bass and others. That brings back some memories.
Next to that story was the results of a PGA tour event. Hogan 3rd $7,187, Palmer 7th $4,140, and Nicklaus 8th $3,258. Man that was the OLDEN DAYS!

siliconzag
06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I was cleaning out an old box full of newspaper clippings from my high school days, and a heading caught my eye, "Coach Eyes SU'. The list of candidates to replace Lionel Purcell included, Jerry Tarkanian, Jack Holley(recommended by both Wooden and Rupp),Don Zech, Bob Bass and others. That brings back some memories.
Next to that story was the results of a PGA tour event. Hogan 3rd $7,187, Palmer 7th $4,140, and Nicklaus 8th $3,258. Man that was the OLDEN DAYS!

I still have an article from 1964 about the victory over Slats Gill's highly favored Oregon State Beavers at MacArthur Court in the pre regionals which also denied the venerable coach his 600th victory. Next was a date with UCLA, and they lost 95-90 in the regional semi finals, in what Wooden said was his toughest game of their undefeated national championship season.

I have vivid memories of John Tresvant, Eddie Miles, and Ernie Dunston, as well as Elgin Baylor and Charlie Brown. Those of you who say Seattle U will not return to the big stage are missing a big intangible. Seattle will always draw talent and eventually, I am betting that Coach Dollar will out perform his mentor.

Like Abe and a few others on this forum, I feel the WCC was short sided to not welcome back Seattle U. I have heard all the reasons ad nauseum, and they ring hollow to me. The Jesuits over there made a mistake by dropping their basketball program. The SU alumni and students have already suffered the consequences of that decision. It was based on financial, academic and moral factors, as I understand it.

I wish them well. Very well. And they will be back, and sooner than most of you think.

Sili

NJZag
06-16-2011, 05:45 AM
I still have an article from 1964 about the victory over Slats Gill's highly favored Oregon State Beavers at MacArthur Court in the pre regionals which also denied the venerable coach his 600th victory. Next was a date with UCLA, and they lost 95-90 in the regional semi finals, in what Wooden said was his toughest game of their undefeated national championship season.

I have vivid memories of John Tresvant, Eddie Miles, and Ernie Dunston, as well as Elgin Baylor and Charlie Brown. Those of you who say Seattle U will not return to the big stage are missing a big intangible. Seattle will always draw talent and eventually, I am betting that Coach Dollar will out perform his mentor.

Like Abe and a few others on this forum, I feel the WCC was short sided to not welcome back Seattle U. I have heard all the reasons ad nauseum, and they ring hollow to me. The Jesuits over there made a mistake by dropping their basketball program. The SU alumni and students have already suffered the consequences of that decision. It was based on financial, academic and moral factors, as I understand it.

I wish them well. Very well. And they will be back, and sooner than most of you think.

Sili

Agree.

MDABE80
06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Yup..Sili's right. I wish the Zags had a town to play in the size of SU. I'd guess we'd already have seen a FF.
How Few pulls this off in this small market is about as rare as a lead breakthrough article in the New England Journal.....but he does it nearly every year. Amazing performance by the staff.

Maybe the WCC will give it a fresh look in 5 years. You see, it doesn't matter about the recruiting..they're going to recruit like maniacs anyway. Gym size is not going to change. All the objections about SU as a D1 basketball program will continue whether or not they're in the WCC. Gonzaga's not going to be hurt by SU. UW will be pushed but not us. We play strong opponents and win games......we'll be fine. Nothing matters quite as much as performance.

Coug Tracks
06-17-2011, 12:36 AM
It's difficult for me to understand why the WCC would not ask SU to join the WCC. You would have a natural in-state rivalry with GU and add a program from a major market. SU is a Jesuit school with a rich basketball history.

What gives?

a13coach
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
It's difficult for me to understand why the WCC would not ask SU to join the WCC. You would have a natural in-state rivalry with GU and add a program from a major market. SU is a Jesuit school with a rich basketball history.

What gives?

Big picture stuff.
1) Significant RPI hit --> does not move the WCC forward
2) SU brings essentially nothing to the table in sports other than MBB (and even that, at this point, is minimal) --> does not move WCC forward
3) A drain on WCC finances (BYU does add to the coffers). --> again no advancement.
4) SU really does not have the facilities to advance the WCC.
5) While the WCC does have 4 Jesuit institutions it is not the J(esuit)CC. Point- just because SU is Jesuit does not mean auto in.

While SU might be a good fit sometime down the road for the WCC right now they are not. And yes it would be a good in state rivalry with GU and even a better B-Ball travel partner than UP the bottom line is the WCC is not all about GU. Remember how the southern WCC schools really do not like traveling up here, they are in no hurry to add another "trip up north".

Essentially they do not fit at this moment, history and market have some merit but not enough to outway their shortcomings.

Coug Tracks
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=a13coach;671071]Remember how the southern WCC schools really do not like traveling up here, they are in no hurry to add another "trip up north".QUOTE]Are you sure that would include Seattle? I would think even if they did not like the trip, getting a foothold in the market in terms of recruiting would easily trump that position.

Interesting position though and I see your perspecitive as of today. It just seems like the future potential would justify the risk.

a13coach
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Are you sure that would include Seattle? I would think even if they did not like the trip, getting a foothold in the market in terms of recruiting would easily trump that position.

Interesting position though and I see your perspecitive as of today. It just seems like the future potential would justify the risk.

Yes future potential is something to consider and would carry a lot of weight if it was just MBB but the other sports are lagging far behind. i.e. W-Soccer: Portland and Santa Clara are top tier NCAA. Baseball is pretty darn good in the WCC. Those are just a few examples where SU would be way behind the curve. If SU can upgrade the level of a majority of their sports, MBB included, I can see the WCC sending an invite.
The WCC commish has made pretty clear the direction the WCC is headed and that is aggressively improving all sports. Right now SU does not fit in that plan. Yes it could be a good investment but right now and for the next 5-8yrs SU would be quite the anchor. I am sure the WCC has done some cost analysis and have decided the ROI is not there yet.