PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer Impact from WCC Teams

jpwils
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
We seem to have thoroughly discussed the potential impacts of our incoming frosh and jucos like Bell, Pangos, et.al. Looks like a solid class! I especially have noticed how we are pulling from a variety of " channels"- frosh recruits,
juco transfers, walk-ons, etc.

What I would like to know is which new incoming players from opposing teams
do you see making the biggest impact in WCC play this next season? This would include transfers, incoming and redshirt freshmen, juco transfers, players returning from missions, walk-ons, etc.

I will give my view on this very soon in this thread. Looking forward to seeing the responses!

cjm720
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
BYU has a frosh coming in, but the name has escaped me. Supposed to be a stud.

maynard g krebs
06-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul McCoy will be a very good addition for St Mary's.

pdine
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Lorne Jackson might have to medical red-shirt, so the athletic, scoring combo guard Jordan Baker should see more PT as a freshman than previously planned.

Also, say what you want about former Wave Keion Bell, but he thinks highly of incoming swingman Ramon Eaton.

Kiddwell
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Doesn't Saint Mary's have a seven-foot transfer waiting in the wings?

:]

jpwils
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
McCoy and a return from red-shirting (Page) should have some impact for SMC. Yes- there is a 7 ft transfer from I believe, Northwestern. Bennett plays it close to vest this time of year.

2-3 returning big men for BYU coming off missions from what I hear.
6-9 PF coming off suspension for honor code violation ( Davies??) will have the MOST impact in WCC play, I believe.

I believe Bell will have most impact this yr for Zags frosh.

Portland and Pepp have room for impact players but info is lacking on em.
Can anyone help??

SCU has a big man coming in from TX???

MickMick
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
2011 is considered by some to be one of the more "loaded" years. Anyone else recall watching the Nike Hoops Summit (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2011/4/9/2100478/gonzaga-signee-kevin-pangos-featured-in-tonights-nike-hoops-summit)that included Pangos? That USA team is one of the best groups I have seen.

From the link:

The United States team is obviously loaded. Basically every player on the roster sits atop the Rivals or Scout rankings and they will likely all be names you hear next year as "Diaper Dandies". It is hard to decide who headlines the American team but names like Austin Rivers, Michael Gilchrist, and Anthony Davis are guys we (read: recruiting junkies) have been hearing about since they were freshmen in high school.

The article didn't include mention of the stud guard named Beal (headed to Florida) nor a couple other players like Tony Wroten.

This talent trickles down to the bottom. The class is loaded. Picking up a ton of freshman (like the 7 Rice picked up at Boise State) may be a good move. I expect the entire WCC will reap benefit from the bonanza.

cjm720
06-14-2011, 08:07 AM
BYU has a frosh coming in, but the name has escaped me. Supposed to be a stud.

DeMarcus Harrison

odeasmcgu
06-14-2011, 11:11 AM
The Gaels have two transfers coming in as you have mentioned:

Paul McCoy (formally of SMU) and Kyle Rowley (formally of Northwestern). Rowley is the 7Fter that Bennett has. He is supposed to be 7'2' which is nice.

We also just added another Center in 6-10 Matt Hodgeson, a former Australian Institute guy who then went to Southern Utah but has confirmed his transfer to SMC. Hodgeson will not be eligible until the 2012-2013 season.

The consensus in Gael land is really don't know where the first two will play at and how much time. Given that we have Delly, Holt, and Rob Jones (our for sure starters) we probably see McCoy being our sixth man, but no ones how good Rowley is.