PDA

View Full Version : Welcome, Coach Julie Shaw!

BobZag
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Please welcome new assistant coach Julie Shaw!

https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/Image/Basketball%20-%20Women%27s/2008-09/Shaw.jpg

Gonzaga University women’s basketball head coach Kelly Graves announced the hiring of Julie Shaw as an assistant coach with the Bulldogs. Shaw replaces Michelle Elliott who is now the fulltime director of operations for the Zags.

“I am excited for Julie to join the Gonzaga family,” said Graves. “She has a great personality, is extremely organized and is a talented up-and-coming coach. I can’t wait for the fans and the Spokane community to meet Julie.”

Shaw comes to Gonzaga from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where she was an assistant coach for six years. At Cal Poly, she worked mainly with the post players and served as the travel coordinator, assisted in the organization of the program’s community outreach endeavors and acted as a link between the Mustang players and the academic services department.

“First off, I am extremely excited and fortunate to have received the position here at Gonzaga,” stated Shaw. “It came as a huge surprise and I am honored to be invited into the Bulldog family. It was a great experience helping Cal Poly make history while there and I look forward to contributing in the continued historic success of the program here at Gonzaga. I also can’t wait to meet many of the fans that make Gonzaga women’s basketball such an exciting atmosphere to be a part of. This is definitely an opportunity I could not pass up and I am very thankful to Coach Graves, the staff, the team and everyone involved with the program for welcoming me. I look forward to many of the amazing moments that will happen here at Gonzaga.”

Cal Poly, members of the Big West Conference, went 97-82 during Shaw’s six years, including 58-34 in the Big West. This past season the Mustangs went 18-13 overall and were co-regular season champions of the Big West with a 12-4 mark. After falling in the Big West Conference Tournament Championship to UC Davis, the Mustangs earned a bid to the Women’s National Invitational Tournament (WNIT); the program’s first post-season appearance.

Shaw arrived in San Luis Obispo after serving as a graduate assistant coach with the University of Redlands during the 2004-05 campaign. Prior to her time at Redlands, she served as an assistant coach at Vista del Lago High School in Moreno Valley, Calif.

Shaw was a four-year letterwinner at UC Riverside. She departed UC Riverside ranked second all-time in appearances (110) and free throw attempts (366), third in rebounds (792), fourth in scoring (1,303) and sixth in field goals (469). During her tenure at UC Riverside, Shaw (1998-2002) was a 2001-02 All-Big West Conference honorable mention selection and a member of the 2002 Big West All-Tournament Team. Academically, Shaw was recognized as a Big West Scholar-Athlete as a senior.

Shaw also earned the Highlander program’s Lindy Award for commitment to community service, served as president of the UC Riverside Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and attended the NCAA Leadership Conference.

Shaw played professionally in Portugal the season following her graduation.

She completed a psychology degree from UC Riverside and earned her master’s degree in educational leadership and administration from Cal Poly in June 2007. Shaw is currently finishing her Doctorate in educational leadership and administration from UC Santa Barbara.