PDA

View Full Version : OT: Zags/NCAA Viewing in Vancouver

sanders
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
After 13 years in the Bay Area I will be moving to Vancouver (BC) in a couple weeks.

I believe there are a number of BC-based posters on this board and any advice re the best providers/packages for NCAA football and hoops viewing would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

ronh_pm
06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
For regular cable/satellite it is slim pickens for the most part unless it is a national game.

There is an NCAA basketball package that is available by the cable/satellite providers at extra cost however, that, with the expanded ESPN coverage of the WCC, should carry most Bulldog games.

I don't know if a schedule is available up front to count the Gonzaga games but for the college basketball enthusiast, the $80 a year it costs is money in the bank regardless of the Zags content.

Other than that it is either FTA satellite using key sharing or the internet as the bars carry the same programming as the average home consumer.

Cheers and welcome to Vancouver!

willandi
06-10-2011, 09:16 PM
So, a long cable from a friends house in Blaine is out! That sucks!!

roxdoc
06-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Get a house in White Rock and you can run down to Blain on game nights. But that is country livin and you miss the vibrancy of one of (if not) the greatest metro areas in North America.

sanders
06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Ronh_pm, do you know if the NCAA basketball package is available no matter which provider you have? Is there an equivalent NCAA football package? Who are the providers? Telus and Shaw? Rogers isn't in BC, right?

Roxdoc, we considered White Rock, but settled on West Van because of the much shorter commute to downtown.

Thanks again.

ronh_pm
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Ronh_pm, do you know if the NCAA basketball package is available no matter which provider you have? Is there an equivalent NCAA football package? Who are the providers? Telus and Shaw? Rogers isn't in BC, right?

Roxdoc, we considered White Rock, but settled on West Van because of the much shorter commute to downtown.

Thanks again.

I use TELUS (would recommend thier "Optik" package) and yes there is foot ball as well.

I am not sure about cable which is handled by Shaw in the Vancouver area but the TELUS Optik service as well as TELUS and BELL satellite have both packages.

Drew
06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I have heard of people getting an American dish and using it Vancouver.

siliconzag
06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I am trying to work up some empathy for you sanders, but all I can come up with is unbridled envy. What a great place to live. The bay area has lost a lot of its appeal over the past 13 years, I am sure you've noticed. Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities on the west coast.

I love Canada, and Canadians. And I particularly love Hockey Night in Canada, where fans sit around and drink tepid beer until the wee hours. I never really understood Hockey until I would head to the pub and after awhile, I began to find Hockey far more interesting than basketball.

In any case, good on you for scoring such a wonderful location for the next phase of your life, and if I were you, I might not be in a hurry to leave. May I suggest you hit some of the wonderful resturants owned by Umberto Menghi?

Sili

gamagin
06-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Indian restaurant. An all-time favorite.

Birddog
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Get an address in Pt Roberts and then mount a DirecTV dish on your place. just don't hook it up to the telephone.

Angelo Roncalli
06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I am trying to work up some empathy for you sanders, but all I can come up with is unbridled envy. What a great place to live. The bay area has lost a lot of its appeal over the past 13 years, I am sure you've noticed. Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities on the west coast.

I love Canada, and Canadians. And I particularly love Hockey Night in Canada, where fans sit around and drink tepid beer until the wee hours. I never really understood Hockey until I would head to the pub and after awhile, I began to find Hockey far more interesting than basketball.

In any case, good on you for scoring such a wonderful location for the next phase of your life, and if I were you, I might not be in a hurry to leave. May I suggest you hit some of the wonderful resturants owned by Umberto Menghi?

Sili

Plus you get Don Cherry and Coach's Corner after the first period...

sittingon50
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Don Cherry is The Man.

DixieZag
06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I have never lived in Van but I have lots of relatives that live in Calgary and Edmonton and they get to see all the Zag games that are on KHQ b/c the local cable companies use the Spokane NBC/ABC/CBS affiliates for the network television - which is one reason that the Zags have so many Canadian fans. I think Kelowna has the Seattle stations, but I would think there is a slice of BC that also gets the Spokane stations - not Vancouver, they almost surely would have the Seattle stations on cable.

I would also check out BYU TV (I can't believe I just wrote that) but they are apparently broadcasting some conference games and with the breadth of the Morman church, I would think it would be available in Vancouver.

I also have a hard time feeling sorry for you. Vancouver is everything SF is except that it is also Canadian - but it is more expensive than SF, other than Manhatten, I don't think there is a city in North America more expensive to live in.

nonzagzag
06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I lived in Vancouver most of my life. I thought it was crazy in '94 last time the Canucks were in the cup finals... it is absolutely 3 times crazier this year!

I miss it but I didn't have a million dollars to by a tiny little house.

roxdoc
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Vancouver is head and shoulders above SF. As the young folks would say SF is so "yesterday".