PDA

View Full Version : Jack & Dan's?

surfmonkey89
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6626434/my-memories-national).

gu03alum
06-10-2011, 03:35 PM
A few weeks later, I was sitting in Jack & Dan's, watching North Carolina State beat a Southern Mississippi team quarterbacked by Brett Favre — who had not yet become America's most highly paid migrant worker — 31-27, and telling John Stockton's father what I'd learned from Karl Malone's mother, and thinking that, damn, Spokane might just be the greatest place on earth, for a night, anyway.

I agree.

BoZarth
06-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I wanna go there tonight.

gamagin
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
thanks. Sorry to say I don't remember the magazine this fellow writes about.

krozman
06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
7 years at GU and I thought it strange that J&D got far more attention when there was a better bar across the street the whole time. Better selection of beer, food, and places to sit anyway. Call me crazy. I guess people are willing to put up with a lot less to think they're sitting on a piece of sports memorbelia, when in fact they're not.

Bring on the J&D vs. Bulldog debate!

Saxon_zag
06-11-2011, 01:17 AM
7 years at GU and I thought it strange that J&D got far more attention when there was a better bar across the street the whole time. Better selection of beer, food, and places to sit anyway. Call me crazy. I guess people are willing to put up with a lot less to think they're sitting on a piece of sports memorbelia, when in fact they're not.

Stockton.

FieldHouseFishHouse
06-11-2011, 02:06 AM

You are SOOO right. Whenever I get a hankering for a nice cold mug of water and a desire to kick a piece of broken glass around a derelict phoos-ball table, I ALWAYS choose the Bulldog.
:D

GoZags
06-11-2011, 04:53 AM

You mean like this Jack and Dan's vs Bulldog debate? (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=22369)

DixieZag
06-11-2011, 07:35 AM
First, thank you for posting this article - I would never have run across it and even if it did not have references to our local watering hole/second home it was wonderful to read.

I have fond memories of both The Bulldog and J&D's, there are arguments to be made for both, depending upon the mood you are in. But if you were there when I was there 88-92 (same period as his '91 visit) when Stockton was really exploding in the NBA and interest in his background got hot, there could be a lot happening at J&D - like the TBS crew that broadcast there during a halftime between Portland and the Jazz and seeing my barely conscious friend summon up sobriety and an eloquence he neither had before or since when interviewed on live TV. And this was when the story was "how can such a good player come from a school named "Gone- zAga" which no one knew had a D-1 basketball team, if they knew it existed at all." Yes, posters under 28, there was a period when our run seemed as likely as Eastern becoming a power.

So, again, thanks for posting this.

kjstoph1
06-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Before the expansion, J&D was BY FAR the better joint.

I miss 1987.

TheBeast
06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
You are SOOO right. Whenever I get a hankering for a nice cold mug of water and a desire to kick a piece of broken glass around a derelict phoos-ball table, I ALWAYS choose the Bulldog.
:D

I'm not a violent person, but I've been known to make exceptions.

Angelo Roncalli
06-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Let's put it this way...

JC hires much better talent than they do across the street.

FieldHouseFishHouse
06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm not a violent person, but I've been known to make exceptions.

I'm not an ambiguous person, but I've been known to meet expectations.

BoZarth
06-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Go Zags!!!!

Zag79
06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Stockton.

same reason david is so loved, the last name goes a long way... that being said, i can and do enjoy both spots but i have to say i like the bulldog better.

Zagineer
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
I think it's all a timing issue,...... as to when you were at GU.

As for me, back in the late 60's, it was either The Bulldog or Joey's (or the Bubble Inn, but that's another story). Being the engineer nerd that I am,.... it was The Bulldog for me.

I loved going to the Bulldog at 11:00 pm on a week day night. Polish sausage, hot musturd and an inexpensive pitcher of beer.

But the last time I went to The Bulldog (about 5 years ago), they had no Polish Sausage to offer. :eek:

On the other hand,..... at Jack and Dan's,.... they had Guinness on tap. :)

Nuff said.

wiszag
06-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Not even a contest but I wish they hadn't renovated the place. There was something marvelous about it's simplicity.

TexasZagFan
06-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I think it's all a timing issue,...... as to when you were at GU.

As for me, back in the late 60's, it was either The Bulldog or Joey's (or the Bubble Inn, but that's another story). Being the engineer nerd that I am,.... it was The Bulldog for me.

I loved going to the Bulldog at 11:00 pm on a week day night. Polish sausage, hot musturd and an inexpensive pitcher of beer.

But the last time I went to The Bulldog (about 5 years ago), they had no Polish Sausage to offer. :eek:

On the other hand,..... at Jack and Dan's,.... they had Guinness on tap. :)

Nuff said.

Was Guinness even invented in the 60s or 70s? :lmao: I likely would've turned up my nose at Guinness when I was in college...it's an acquired taste that is also much too expensive for the typical college student.

There are few things in life better than quaffing a Guinness in Dublin, Ireland.

It was always the Bulldog for me...pitcher specials and free popcorn, with an occasional Stromboli around payday.