PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pangos and Canada Junior Men's National Team

ZagNative
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
From basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=5070):
CANADA’S JUNIOR MEN BEGIN PREPARATIONS FOR THE FIBA U19 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Last Updated: June 09, 2011

(Toronto, ON) - Canada Basketball has announced the 22 athletes participating in the tryout by invitation camp and team staff for the Junior Men’s National Team (JMNT). This is the first step as the JMNT prepares for the 2011 U19 FIBA World Championship in Latvia. The tryout camp will run from June 10 – 12, 2011 at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario.

Canada qualified for the 2011 U19 FIBA World Championship by claiming the bronze by defeating Argentina last summer at the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men in San Antonio, Texas. They are one of 16 teams to qualify for the World Championship, which will take place from June 30 – July 10 in Liepaja and Riga, Latvia. The JMNT will face tough competition in the preliminary round as they have been assigned to Group B, which includes Croatia, Lithuania and Korea.

The invitation list includes 10 athletes who represented Canada last summer on the international stage as part of the National Team Program. Attending camp are Kevin Pangos (Holland Landing, ON) and Andrew Wiggins (Concord, ON) who helped guide Canada to the bronze medal at the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship, where Pangos was also named the top point guard of the tournament. Pangos enjoyed a successful final year of high school at Dr. John Denison (Newmarket, ON) taking the Huskies to the AAA OFSAA Championship game and also represented Canada at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Oregon. Wiggins led Vaughan Secondary School (Vaughan, ON) to the AAAA OFSAA gold medal and also competed in the Jordan Brand Classic International Game, where he was named co-MVP.

Other invited athletes who represented Canada last summer include Sim Bhullar (Brampton, ON), Julian Clarke (Toronto, ON), Duane Notice (Woodbridge, ON), Olivier Hanlan (Gatineau, QC), Negus Webster-Chan (Scarborough, ON), Junior Lomomba (Longueil, QC), Dyshawn Pierre (Whitby, ON) and Philip Scrubb (Vancouver, BC).
Following training camp, the JMNT will participate in the International Youth Global Games tournament in Lithuania as a tune up tournament for the World Championship. Games will be hosted in Panevezys, Lithuania, from June 25 – 27. Canada will play Latvia on June 25, Australia on June 26 and Brazil on June 27. Game summaries will be posted on www.basketball.ca..

For more information on Team Canada and the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship, please visit www.basketball.ca. or www.latvia2011.fiba.com (http://latvia2011.fiba.com/en).

ZagNative
06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
It ain't real until ZN loads it into a spreadsheet ... Coming up for Kevin ...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C8pgkRpJE8I/TfFz42njPnI/AAAAAAABRio/RJ0CpBMd3uI/2011-06-09%252520Pangos%252520FIBA.jpg

OZZY
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Team suffering a huge drop in talent after last summers bronze medal showing in FIBA Americas.

No Kabongo,
No Wiltjer,
No Birch
and
No Bennett (the most suprising one and doesn't bode well for the Zags IMHO, seeing he is really tight with Kevin).

Kelowna BC product 6'11" centre Branxton Bunce (A D1 talent) is getting an opportunity with Birch gone, but he is nowhere near the player Birch is (but then again who is?).

Kevin will have Wiggins, Scrubb, Stauskus and Webster-Chan as his main support, but this team will be hard pressed to make it into the top 8 without the forwards who are missing.................

MDABE80
06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
OZ... RE: Bennett...doesn't bode well for the Zags as he is really tight with Kevin Pangos???? Am I reading this wrong or do you have a reason to say that?

OZZY
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
OZ... RE: Bennett...doesn't bode well for the Zags as he is really tight with Kevin Pangos???? Am I reading this wrong or do you have a reason to say that?

What I'm saying is that if he's not playing with his good friend Kevin for Canada, he may have changed his priorities this summer. That means he will be surrounded by many other's who may influence his playing future in other directions........

MDABE80
06-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Gotcha...thanks.

Player
06-10-2011, 02:49 AM
A number of them including Willms declined the invitation due to school committments...final exams etc.

cjm720
06-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Bennett is out of reach. I'd like to see wiggins in the mix but likely not gonna happen. A good frosh showing by mr. Pangos would help....

CanadianZagFan
06-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Team suffering a huge drop in talent after last summers bronze medal showing in FIBA Americas.

No Kabongo,
No Wiltjer,
No Birch
and
No Bennett (the most suprising one and doesn't bode well for the Zags IMHO, seeing he is really tight with Kevin).

Kelowna BC product 6'11" centre Branxton Bunce (A D1 talent) is getting an opportunity with Birch gone, but he is nowhere near the player Birch is (but then again who is?).

Kevin will have Wiggins, Scrubb, Stauskus and Webster-Chan as his main support, but this team will be hard pressed to make it into the top 8 without the forwards who are missing.................

While the Canadians will be missing some great talent, a much improved Sim Buhllar, a very good versatile player in 6'9" Stefan Jankovic and Wiggins is a pretty tough front-court. Add in a surprise or two like Justin Shaver and I think we are in good shape.

webspinnre
06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I keep seeing all these comments about Bennett, but I'm 99.8% sure he isn't even on our radar as far as being recruited. Its a nice dream, but its just that.