PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 frontcourts

VinnyZag
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
John Gasaway ranks the Zags 10th (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=6639518) on his list of the top 10 frontcourts for next year. It's an insider article, but here's a taste:

Last year Sacre and Harris shot a combined 80 percent at the line, which was good news for Gonzaga fans because, on average, the duo drew more than seven fouls for every 40 minutes they played together. Both are solid (if not spectacular) on the defensive glass, and Sacre in particular is a good offensive rebounder. Sacre can be erratic with his shooting, and made less than half of his two-point attempts last year, which is unusual for a 7-footer. But his shot-blocking and ability to get to the line (not to mention the 55 percent two-point shooting the Zags get from Harris) more than offset the occasional miss.

He doesn't mention Olynyk and Dower.

MDABE80
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the article Vin. Rob need to get his high % shots to fall/dunk.
I think the ranking is pretty accurate but Sam will improve it this year. Certainly Spangler will.

Nevtelen
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Rob has really taken a big step in his game every year he's been at GU and I hope this year will be the same. I'm sure he's as motivated as ever to improve and dominate in his senior campaign. I thought this past season that his shooting % around the hoop was his biggest issue and I hope that's what he improves the most this off-season. With a good shooting %, he'd be unstoppable.

jpwils
06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Honestly , to me we do have a Top 10 frontcourt.

But Sacre needs to eliminate some of the trash-talking and let his play do the talking.

Mental mistakes, trying to impress everyone how " bad" he is , like at USF with the elbows?? This needs to change and he should mature.

Harris needs to either learn to play some 3 or the Zags need to learn how to deploy ( and who and where) 3 bigs in the lineup at times- both to handle the likes of BYU and against elite teams in the Big Dance like MSU and Baylor.

Sacre need sto be on the bench less with foul trouble and stay in longer and play at a more even keel in my view.

Don't get me wrong- he's ALL-WCC now...if he wants to be All American, he
needs to play a bit smarter against guys his size. Watch the elbows, Rob!

KO needs to become a more physical presence down low when given a chance.

Spangler should be stiff competition shortly for all!

Dower needs to develop some moves to his right asap, as mentioned earlier - and he will be ALL-WCC!

MickMick
06-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Rob has really taken a big step in his game every year he's been at GU and I hope this year will be the same. I'm sure he's as motivated as ever to improve and dominate in his senior campaign. I thought this past season that his shooting % around the hoop was his biggest issue and I hope that's what he improves the most this off-season. With a good shooting %, he'd be unstoppable.

100% right on here.

Just as we saw quantum leaps with Omar Samhan with every successive season, we are witnessing something similar with Rob.

Watching his beginnings as a Zag, who here would have guessed that his gamed would eventually include finding a way to get to the foul line and taking advantage of it when he got there?

It is because Rob is a beast and opponents are trying to get equally physical inside. The cost of doing so is getting Rob to the charity stripe and helps explain some tough shots tossed up as he is getting mauled. To push Rob's wide stance around requires considerable force and reveals body language that screams foul to the referees.

Consistent improvement with each passing season is Rob's hallmark. This is gonna be his year.

DADoZAG
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
He doesn't mention Olynyk and Dower.

Which is why he has the ZAGS 10th on that list.

Hey, at least he didn't mention Manny.

Consistent improvement with each passing season is Rob's hallmark. This is gonna be his year.

Agree MickMick and Nevtelen.

The game is slowing down a bit more each year for big Rob. Plus, there was very little of Bobbi last year, 'specially toward the end of the season. Less head movement at the stripe, improved jump hook, fewer silly fouls, less dribbling, drop step in the works. Big improvements last year.

For this year? There's an old adage in baseball about watching the ball in. Anyone who played much learns to cheat that adage, sometimes at a price.

Rob's hands need the undivided attention of Rob's eyes. Bet it cuts two or three turnovers a game, maybe more.

Go ZAGS!

Nevtelen
06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Honestly , to me we do have a Top 10 frontcourt.

But Sacre needs to eliminate some of the trash-talking and let his play do the talking.

Mental mistakes, trying to impress everyone how " bad" he is , like at USF with the elbows?? This needs to change and he should mature.

Sacre need sto be on the bench less with foul trouble and stay in longer and play at a more even keel in my view.

I thought for the most part he eliminated those issues this past season. I mean everyone will be in foul trouble at times, especially bigs, but I don't think it was a particular bugaboo of Rob's this past season. I also think he didn't trash-talk unduly. What he did do was a direct result of having 2 or 3 guys draped all over him much of the time (sometimes literally). And the elbows were the fundamentally correct move (or had been before this past season) in the situation Rob found himself in.

avid-zag-fan
06-09-2011, 05:21 AM
He needs to work on passing--especially to the 3 point shooters. If he learned to do this, he could score more easily. I'd like to see more dunks and less hooks as well. imho

jpwils
06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
I agree - Sacre improved on the issues this past year.
The USF game , though, was disastrous.

We can't fall behind in conference this year again and play the recovery game...learning to beat the mid-tier teams at their gym will be the difference this year.( Santa Clara and USF)

But I don't necessarily agree that he eliminated them....which is the difference between ALL-WCC and All-American.

Also, if 2-3 guys are draped on Sacre- SOMEBODY is open- Monninghoff and KO , along with Harris and Dower.

Yes there will be instances of foul trouble-just need less of them.

KO needs to emerge in any case as a low post threat and Dower should improve some more. Hoping Spangler learns from all of them!

Nevtelen
06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
I agree - Sacre improved on the issues this past year.
The USF game , though, was disastrous.

We can't fall behind in conference this year again and play the recovery game...learning to beat the mid-tier teams at their gym will be the difference this year.( Santa Clara and USF)

But I don't necessarily agree that he eliminated them....which is the difference between ALL-WCC and All-American.

Also, if 2-3 guys are draped on Sacre- SOMEBODY is open- Monninghoff and KO , along with Harris and Dower.

Every player will have one of those 'foul problems' games every once in a while. I do actually think that Rob will probably have an easier time of it this coming season and I also think his passing to the outside will improve because we (theoretically) have more perimiter threats this season. Last season, given that KO or Harris was usually poised for a rebound when Rob had the ball and Gray was, for much of the season, the only real outside threat on the team, the defense could afford to drape all over Rob when he got the ball because we needed him to shoot or draw the foul instead of pass. I think we'll see more successful passing to the outside because A) we'll have more outside shooters (hopefully) and B) because of that we won't have as many opposing players sagging off their man to clog up the lane. Hopefully this will also allow Rob to use a few more moves and shoot a higher %, too.

kitzbuel
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
He needs to work on passing--especially to the 3 point shooters. If he learned to do this, he could score more easily. I'd like to see more dunks and less hooks as well. imho

He needs to have 3 pt shooters to pass to.

OZZY
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Better quality ball to the Bigs will make our 4 (or 5) forwards more effective. IMHO the passing ability of our point guards this year will be better than the last couple. Watch especially for Pangos and Bell Jr to keep the defense guessing with their ability to hit the three consistently.

U Zig, I Zag
06-10-2011, 11:20 AM
If Rob wants serious looks from the Pros after this next year he needs to become a human highlight reel of dunks, putbacks and blocks.