PDA

View Full Version : The Ira Thread

former1dog
06-27-2007, 10:49 AM
From what has been reported in other threads, Ira is better than expected. On top of that, we've had a report from his Dad that he is a hustle, do the little things type of guy.

With his athletic ability and dedication to the little things, it sounds like we've got an uber athletic Pendo on our hands.

This type of player is going to bring the whole team up a notch because of Ira's versatility. If he can truly play the 2, 3 or 4 and learn each of those positions, he is a threat to put just about any player on the bench for lackluster effort. A tremendous asset to have on a very talented team.

You don't play all out, the bench is waiting.

What a treat to have on our team.

CDC84
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Moreover, he is a vocal leader and a grown man. He's going to be kind of a player-coach out there. One poster on this board, when he saw Ira for the first time, thought he was the Dad of one of the GU players!

MickMick
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I hope there isn't much need to address "lackluster effort".

I believe that fatigued players make more mistakes. That is where a good rotation comes in. Rarely have I seen a Zag play without effort.

I envision Ira as more of a momentum changer. A guy that makes dramatic plays worthy of Sportcenter's top 10 list. Plays that fire up the crowd and inspire the team. Plays that create a demoralizing atmosphere for the opponents. I picture vocal, angry faced Zags chest bumping him after spectacular dunks with the crowd going absolutely nuts. I see him addressing "lackluster effort" in such a positive way. Emotional examples of brilliance as opposed to vocal tirades of blame.

cggonzaga
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm worried Ira or Jeremy is going to accidently knock out one of our skinny dudes.

sdzag
06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Now are we talking Ira play the 4 in the WCC when the other team throws out a 6-6 PF or can he ligit play against 6-8 to 6-10 guys in the post ala Utah Shaun Green, St. Joes Ahmad Nivins, and Memphis Joey Dorsey? It's just at 6'4" it seems quite a task.

MickMick
06-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Now are we talking Ira play the 4 in the WCC when the other team throws out a 6-6 PF or can he ligit play against 6-8 to 6-10 guys in the post ala Utah Shaun Green, St. Joes Ahmad Nivins, and Memphis Joey Dorsey? It's just at 6'4" it seems quite a task.

How tall was Charles Barkley?

cair3
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
from watching ira play a lil pick up I'd say this is my comparison to pendergraft.
ball handling: equal or slight advantage ira, the both make similar moves but ira is faster. (one small fake then a few hard dribbles in a direction no real "shakes" or creativity..
passing: equal, pendo makes great passes but i saw ira drop a few dimes
shooting: ira has a nice stroke but is not as smooth as a shooter and looks a little less confidant than pendo who is very sure of his stroke. Ira gets more elevation on his shot but pendo doesnt really take many shots that are going to get blocked anyways... adv pendo
away from the ball on offense: pendo does a great job of getting lost from his defenders vision, sneaking in for offensive rebounds and setting strong picks. in the pick up game there were almost no screens set so ira cant be judged as a worse screener but i cant imagine anyone better. ira's cuts were crisp and he ran the floor well, also crashed the glass (same as LG). =
finishing inside: IRA can really jump pendo is crafty, both will score some inside, look for ira to get fouled more as he flys to the hoop.
defense: ira is quick and strong will probably be able to play defense well without fouling as much as pendo. may not be as good of a team defender but a better on ball defender
rebounding: pendo is so strong and (dirty or shall we say crafty) ira boxes out as well and can really jump for boards, wash
pendo is like the old wise veteran that knows how to grab and hold and is sure of what he can do, ira is the young (i know he is old but basketball wise) athlete that can do all that pendo can do and more but is a little less confident and has not picked up all of pendo's tricks yet.
i like ira as a more athletic version of pendo but i believe pendo will be more valuable to the team next year... he seems to be the clear leader a long with pargo.

former1dog
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
i like ira as a more athletic version of pendo but i believe pendo will be more valuable to the team next year... he seems to be the clear leader a long with pargo.

At the risk of "hijacking" the thread, I would say that I agree that Pendo is clearly going to be the leader of the team next year.

I also think he will see significant playing time, especially when it counts the most for our team.

At some point in the season, Pendo may not be in the starting five. I doubt, though, that if the game is in question that Pendo will not be in the finishing five. He is a proven clutch player and definitely one who will be in the game to make the shot to win or make the pass to the person that makes the winning shot or set the pick that frees up the winning shot. (you get the point)

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
One poster on this board, when he saw Ira for the first time, thought he was the Dad of one of the GU players!
I hope he doesn't look as old as Oden...

:eek:

BobZag
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I hope he doesn't look as old as Oden...

:eek:

Why not? :D

ZagNut08
06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Whoever he gaurds in practice will surely benefit from his agressive play/strenght

BobZag
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Whoever he gaurds in practice will surely benefit from his agressive play/strenght

Can you imagine Pargo and Ira! guarding each other? I'd pay to see that.

I think young guys like Gray would benefit greatly from being guarded by Ira!, along with skinnier guys like Micah and Daye. And interior guys like Theo can only get tougher having Ira! in there with them.

Bocco
06-27-2007, 08:51 PM
All this talk about Ira, just increases the anxious anticipation for the season to begin.

I have also heard good things about about Josh and the work he is putting in (it sounds like he is really working at turning things around.)

Now if the start of the season would just come a little faster so we can fianlly see this group in action on the court.....just over 120 days to go.....but who's counting?

thickman1
06-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Now if the start of the season would just come a little faster so we can fianlly see this group in action on the court.....just over 120 days to go.....but who's counting?

I'm starting to count...:D