PDA

View Full Version : Goodson to play football for Baylor

ZagNative
05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Story here (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/110529demetri-meech-goodson-transferring-from-gonzaga-to-baylor-to-play-football).

Demetri "Meech" Goodson transferring from Gonzaga to Baylor to Play Football

HOUSTON - Former Gonzaga starting point guard Demetri “Meech” Goodson told FOX 26 Sports that he’s transferring to Baylor to play college football.

“Just get my transcript from Gonzaga shipped over to Baylor,” Goodson said of finalizing the process. “I shipped it out yesterday (Saturday). Once they get all that stuff done, I’ll be there. It’s a great feeling.

"(I’m) excited. A bit nervous because I haven’t played (football) in a while. Once I go and start hitting the weights and learning their system, I’ll be alright."

Goodson in fact hasn’t played football since starting as a varsity cornerback his sophomore season at Klein Collins High School.
He started 68 of 69 games the last two seasons in the Gonzaga backcourt, but believes he has a better chance at a professional career on the field rather than on the court.

“I could probably go overseas and make some money,” Goodson said. “But professionally football will be a better move for me just because of the number of basketball players who make it and the number of football players.

"That was basically why I did it.”

Goodson says that he was contacted by a number of interested schools, but that his conversation with Baylor head coach Art Briles cemented the decision to join a BCS program coming off its first bowl season since 1984.

“It (the response from football programs) was surprising,” Goodson said. “They just started calling me. And I was like – wow.

"Baylor seemed like they were interested from the start so what’s why I stuck with them. I went up to talk with coach (Briles) and he seemed like a really cool guy.

"As soon as he saw me he said I was bigger than both (starting) corners right now. He was kind of shocked at that. Just by talking with him made me want to go to Baylor.”

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/110529demetri-meech-goodson-transferring-from-gonzaga-to-baylor-to-play-football#ixzz1NnoKtX4I
Love you, Meechie! Good luck at Baylor!

sittingon50
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Good Luck Meech. Will be rooting for you.

ID ZAGFAN
05-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Congratulations, Meech!

We'll be watching your success at Baylor.

ZaGranny

Kiddwell
05-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Sounds like Demetri has landed on both feet. Good deal. Hope he's an instant star (unless he's playing the Cougs). :)

:]

gamagin
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
hope it all works out as he has planned it. I just became a Baylor football fan.

ZagFanInNC
05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Baylor is SOOOOO much better of a decision than T A@M for me. Thank you Meech, now I still can hate the Aggies! GOOD LUCK!

Dogtownkid
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Good for you, Meech. Great news!

stretchlimo
05-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Considering all the pass-happy teams in that conference, Meech should be plenty busy.

I'm already looking forward to their opener on Friday, September 2. Baylor hosts TCU, prime time, ESPN.

Would love to see Meech run back kicks, too. Can't you see the SportsCenter highlights already......Meech weaving his way through the entire kickoff team for six......follow it up with the flashback of Meech weaving his way through the entire WKU defense. C'mon now, that's gotta happen.

webspinnre
05-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Best wishes Meech. Hope things work out.

SWZag
05-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Great news Meech!! Chalk up another Baylor football fan convert. Will look forward to following your Baylor career. Best of luck and knock some people around. All I can say is that I'd be scared to have Meech coming at me if I were a receiver.

SWZag

zagfaninmt
05-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Great news! I never would have sought out a Baylor football game before, but I sure will now. Best of luck, Meech. We'll miss you in Spokane.

NEC26
05-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Good luck Meech just found a new College football team to follow! :-)

Reborn
05-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Great news! I never would have sought out a Baylor football game before, but I sure will now. Best of luck, Meech. We'll miss you in Spokane.

Same for me. Good luck Meech. I'll be rootin for you.

Demetri Awesome
05-30-2011, 08:05 AM
That a boy Meech! Have the football schedules come out yet?

Sarenyon
05-30-2011, 08:57 AM
This is great news! I hope you like Waco, and I'm glad its this Texas program rather than a few of the other ones.

Best of luck Meech. You'll be great!

NotoriousZ
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Awesome Meech!!! Go kick some a$$

SteveAztec
05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Good luck Meech. I hope all works out for you.

Zaglaw
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
All the best, Meech! We'll be watching!

MDABE80
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Meech article says ....."He started 68 of 69 games the last two seasons in the Gonzaga backcourt, but believes he has a better chance at a professional career on the field rather than on the court."

This is the one and only reason he left. It's a very important statment. It's accurate as well.
We all wish Meech the best in all things. The Fall fottball season just took on new meaning. I wsh he had two years to develop. Ang? CDC? just one? Or might he eek out two?

DixieZag
05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Does he have to sit out a season? Does he get one or two seasons to play football? Anyone who knows I would appreciate it.

How awesome would it be if he did well enough to play professionally? If he needs a few more years of seasoning he could play in Canada, Arena Ball or that other league they have.

ZagNative
05-30-2011, 01:34 PM
The linked story says,
Goodson measures around 6-feet and 175 pounds and expects to play defensive back for the Bears. He says he’ll have two years of football eligibility remaining.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/110529demetri-meech-goodson-transferring-from-gonzaga-to-baylor-to-play-football#ixzz1NsF4tUP2

bballbeachbum
05-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm a Baylor fan...can't believe I just said that. For the next 2 years, it's on.

GO MEECH!!!

Hoopaholic
05-30-2011, 06:09 PM
sweet diggin in to get my Directv updated to watch baylor....go Baylor (for 2 years anyway)....

Good luck meech will be fun to follow you....

zagfan24
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I have a new favorite college football player...best of luck Meech!

MDABE80
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Paralegals always with an eye to detail......

gozagswoohoo
05-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Very cool. Get em Meech!

CarolinaZagFan
05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Uh oh, my cousin is a receiver at Texas Tech haha... Best of luck to Meech except when he's covering little cuz!

cjm720
05-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Go Meech!!!!

Pleasant Peninsula
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
So if he were to play basketball again, he'd have to sit out a year, but he could play again in 2012-13, after his football career is over.

If everything works out like he hopes, I would guess he wouldn't do that, because he would be busy with NFL combines, etc.

But, if the football thing doesn't work out as well as we all hope, then he'd still have another year of bball eligibility, and could lace 'em up for Scott Drew and company after his football career ends. Then he could still go on to a European career.

So in some ways, this keeps BOTH "professional" options on the table for him.

zagfan24
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
So if he were to play basketball again, he'd have to sit out a year, but he could play again in 2012-13, after his football career is over.

If everything works out like he hopes, I would guess he wouldn't do that, because he would be busy with NFL combines, etc.

But, if the football thing doesn't work out as well as we all hope, then he'd still have another year of bball eligibility, and could lace 'em up for Scott Drew and company after his football career ends. Then he could still go on to a European career.

So in some ways, this keeps BOTH "professional" options on the table for him.

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think this is an option. I believe that, because he only gets 5 total years to play out his eligibility, he wouldn't be able to play football, take a year off, and then play basketball again.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I could easily be wrong, but I don't think this is an option. I believe that, because he only gets 5 total years to play out his eligibility, he wouldn't be able to play football, take a year off, and then play basketball again.

He gets five years. This year will be year four. He will play football. Because of transfer rules, he cannot play basketball this year (even if he wanted to).

Next year is year five. He will presumably play his final year of football. He could then play basketball that year, since he'd have one year left of bball eligibility, he would have sat out one season per transfer rules, and it would still be year five on his clock.

He wouldn't take a year off after football (you're right, he could not do that). He could hypothetically could play his final year of basketball immediately after his final football season ends.

thebigsmoove
05-31-2011, 12:10 PM
He gets five years. This year will be year four. He will play football. Because of transfer rules, he cannot play basketball this year (even if he wanted to).

Next year is year five. He will presumably play his final year of football. He could then play basketball that year, since he'd have one year left of bball eligibility, he would have sat out one season per transfer rules, and it would still be year five on his clock.

He wouldn't take a year off after football (you're right, he could not do that). He could hypothetically could play his final year of basketball immediately after his final football season ends.

It was my understanding that he redshirts this year and is not eligable for football or basketball, but will be eligable starting next year for both sports at Baylor...

Pleasant Peninsula
05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
The folks over at Baylorfans.com seem to think he's eligible to play football this year. I believe because Gonzaga does not have a football program, he can play immediately.

cjm720
05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
He can play immediately ONLY BECAUSE Gonzaga doesn't have football.

sittingon50
05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have football?

gopackgozags
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Eamonn Brennan over at ESPN.com wrote a nice blog about Meech's transfer. Meech's process has gotten decent coverage there including a headline on their front page when the news broke he would be playing football at Baylor. Brennan seems like a fan of Meech the person, which is always nice to see.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/31483/former-zag-picks-baylor-for-football

U Zig, I Zag
05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have football?

:lmao:

Blitzing-Zag
05-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Best of Luck Meech! I'll try to watch him and Baylor whenever they are on TV now.

ZagLawGrad
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Tear 'em up Meech! Go Bears!

FieldHouseFishHouse
05-31-2011, 05:43 PM
From the article

"Oh, and Demetri? Audible is a football term that describes a quarterback's decision to change a play at the line of scrimmage to one he deems more conducive to his team's success. That one's a freebie. Sorry, but you're on your own from here. Good luck, buddy."

Cute, but I'm pretty sure there is such a thing as an audible in basketball as well. In some cases it's call "the offense", and it's usually done by the "point guard".
We might disagree as to Meech's effectiveness at calling the shots, but I'm pretty sure he's familiar with the concept.
Between the ears, he should be fine....the rest of him should hit the weights.

FieldHouseFishHouse
05-31-2011, 06:15 PM

This is a very interesting situation. In particular the strategic advantage the lack of a GU football program gives Meech in the transfer process.
I am wondering about scholarship rules for duel sport athletes. Let's say Meech plays Baylor football for two years, fine. I bet he would be the best player in the gym at open tryouts for the Baylor varsity basketball team his 5th year, but would he really be a walk on? I don't know the rules that govern these things, and I'm too lazy to get on Google.

kitzbuel
05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe if he makes the football hall of fame he will be the third Zag to be inducted.

Pleasant Peninsula
06-01-2011, 07:52 AM
I bet he would be the best player in the gym at open tryouts for the Baylor varsity basketball team his 5th year, but would he really be a walk on? I don't know the rules that govern these things, and I'm too lazy to get on Google.

Presumably, yes. He would be a walk on, because his football scholarship would be paying for his schooling that year. There would be no need to give him a basketball scholarship.