PDA

View Full Version : Romar on GU-UW

Section 116
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
The following is quoted from a Seattle Times Percy Allen blog:

(Will Washington ever play Gonzaga again?) "I've always said I think it's going to happen again. I've always said that."

(Is it something that will happen soon or down the road?) "I don't know. But it will happen again."

Link:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2015144227_lorenzo_romar_o_10.html

I'm sure this has been hashed to death on this board but the blog was published today (May25) so it's current news, if you will.

TheZagPhish
05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
The current status quo fits Romar better than the old status quo.

NewLookZag
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
You see that? Their schedule this year MIGHT be tougher than last years.. Might not... WOW! What a schedule!

Ahh but they play in the mighty PAC 12! Yeah, right.

Coug Tracks
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well.

If each program really wanted to play the series it would come together. I recently saw a poster use the "any time any place" tag line for Gonzaga and that probably doesn't apply any longer. It's more "any time any place as long as it's a home-and-home". Again, that's Few's choice and understandable given the strength of the program.

It's bad for the state to NOT play this game but there is a lot of bad blood between the two programs that isn't going away any time soon. I doubt UW fans care too much if the game is played so Romar isn't seeing a lot of pressure. Most GU fans probably feel Few isn't at fault so there is little incentive for him to be too flexible.

As long as both programs don't need each other and there is bad blood they won't play each other. Simple as that.

MickMick
05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Did Bigfoot and Mark Few hook up?

snebzag
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
There is absolutely, positively, nothing wrong with "Home and Home" This is what it should be. These are College programs in the same state. Not traveling road shows in search of easy dollars. Home and Home. I'll never give in on this. I will also never give in to what I tell my Husky loving brother on the west side. IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF GONZAGA. THE UW AD AND ROMAR BAILED ON THIS AFTER LOSING A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF GAMES TO GONZAGA. THEY TOOK THEIR BALL AND WENT HOME. THEY ALSO CRIED AFTER THE JH RECRUITING INCIDENT WITH DOLLAR. DOLLAR WAS A FALL GUY FOR ROMAR AND THE BUNCH. THEY ARE THE RICH KIDS WHO ARE USED TO GETTING THEIR WAY. HOME AND HOME. NEVER GIVE IN.

This would be such a good, intense game each year on opposing courts. I believe GU would take a Home and Home deal. UW thinks a three year deal on a neutral court seven miles from UW campus is fair. I want this series to happen again. If we win, I brag. If we lose, I accept with dignity. Let us pray. NO. Let us Play.

NewLookZag
05-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well.

If each program really wanted to play the series it would come together. I recently saw a poster use the "any time any place" tag line for Gonzaga and that probably doesn't apply any longer. It's more "any time any place as long as it's a home-and-home". Again, that's Few's choice and understandable given the strength of the program.

It's bad for the state to NOT play this game but there is a lot of bad blood between the two programs that isn't going away any time soon. I doubt UW fans care too much if the game is played so Romar isn't seeing a lot of pressure. Most GU fans probably feel Few isn't at fault so there is little incentive for him to be too flexible.

As long as both programs don't need each other and there is bad blood they won't play each other. Simple as that.

Anytime, Anyplace... What you have to understand about that statement, is that it doesn't mean we are going to go play Eastern Washington University in Cheney.... Now, I'm not saying UW is EWU, but there is absolutely no reason why Gonzaga should have to cater to UW in terms of where the series is played. Anytime, Anyplace is for teams like DUKE and UNC, not teams like UW, who we are superior to. We've got teams like Notre Dame and Michigan State coming to the Kennel now.. Why the hell would we play UW in Seattle every year?

kyle dixon
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I really wish this home and home could be worked out. Heck, I am even willing to meet them half way in Kennewick. The terms of the Key Arena deal are ridiculous. Reborn, is the AC Davis gym in Yakima available?

CB4
05-25-2011, 09:02 PM
This subject is ridiculous. Put your hate for Romar and UW aside and look at this objectively. Forget about "natural rivalries" and the like. I'm sure there are numerous situations like this in other states where schools do not play for one reason or another. Bottom line is that we don't need UW in our schedule and they don't need us. Gonzaga fans have this notion that we, the little guys, should play and beat UW, the big guys, every year in order to legitimize our standing in the state. The problem is, based on our continued success and dominance, we are not the little guys, but instead a powerhouse that plays a strong national schedule every single year.

Here are three reasons that I believe are legitimate for UW not wanting to play us:

1) Risk of losing.

UW does not want to lose to in state competition. This hurts recruiting for them.

2) More exposure for GU on the West Side.

The media would be buzzing weeks before this game. This only helps Gonzaga recruiting on the West Side. Doesn't do much to help UW. Players from that area have a tradition of staying at UW and excelling there. Losing to Gonzaga would hurt UW's recruiting stronghold in that area.

3) Playing in K2.

Tons of teams refuse to play us at home. For obvious reasons.

Additionally, UW proposed a recent deal that many of us scorned. All four games at Key Arena. Split Tickets. UW was looking at continuing the series through an economic lens. Undoubtedly, this format would create the greatest amount of revenue for both schools. Gonzaga wanted a true home and home. Each program had different goals and aims. Didn't work out... too bad, move on, stop dwelling on it. Gonzaga doesn't need to legitimize itself by beating UW. We beat BCS schools all the time.

Coug Tracks
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Anytime, Anyplace... What you have to understand about that statement, is that it doesn't mean we are going to go play Eastern Washington University in Cheney.... Now, I'm not saying UW is EWU, but there is absolutely no reason why Gonzaga should have to cater to UW in terms of where the series is played. Anytime, Anyplace is for teams like DUKE and UNC, not teams like UW, who we are superior to. We've got teams like Notre Dame and Michigan State coming to the Kennel now.. Why the hell would we play UW in Seattle every year?Never suggested GU should play in Seattle every year. Romar wants the advantage so he offered to play at the Key Arena every year, 2-for-1 or whatever. That was the UWs first offer to start it again. As I posted, Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and Few will only play in K2 so that's an issue. That Romar and Few seem to hate each other is another small matter.

Romar's philosophy is a soft early schedule to prepare for conference. You might not agree with the way he does things but it's his ship and he's on the hook at the end of the day.

I guess what's interesting to this Coug is if you have this great OOC schedule (which you do) and you have great programs to play (again, you definitely do) than the UW then why do you care either way? If you are superior to the UW then why care either way about playing the UW?

Personally I think GU and the UW are pretty close over the recent past (say the last 5 years or a bit more). Both consistent Tournament teams that recruit well and should have sustained success as long as they retain the guy running their respecitive program. I know GU has had much deeper Tournament runs in modern history but that's starting to go back some time now. At the moment things appear pretty tight but that's just one opinion. That's why I would love to see these two programs figure out how to get on the court and play.

Ekrub
05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I guess what's interesting to this Coug is if you have this great OOC schedule (which you do) and you have great programs to play (again, you definitely do) than the UW then why do you care either way? If you are superior to the UW then why care either way about playing the UW?

So that I can rub it in the nose of my friends on that side of the state that have an obsession with claiming that because UW has had more successful NBA players that makes them a better college program.

Coug Tracks
05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
So that I can rub it in the nose of my friends on that side of the state that have an obsession with claiming that because UW has had more successful NBA players that makes them a better college program.I wonder if Michigan State fans care if a Michigan fan was to claim the same thing. Doubt it. Duke fans don't care that UNC has had more NBA players in their program.

I do know UW fans can be annoying but I learned a long time ago that feeding into doesn't change anything. That's just me though.

coolhandzag
05-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Following Romar in the press is not healthy. Stop it.

ZagsObserver
05-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Coug Tracks said: "Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well." He also said: "As I posted, Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and Few will only play in K2 so that's an issue."

That is a flawed understanding of the situation. In fact, that's probably a little too pg...it's blatantly false. Few does not have an aversion to playing a Key/Spokane arena arrangement. That was NEVER the issue. The issue was that it needed to be equitable. It would be unfair to play two over there and one over here. With that said, a Key/Spokane Arena arrangement would be fine, and Few stated as much, and a UW Campus/GU Campus game would be okay, he also stated as much. UW was trying to get GU to make a concession that GU doesn't make for anyone, save perhaps for a Duke.

Please, do not repaint history unless you know the details.

MDABE80
05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Another irrelvant UW post. Just doesn't matter anymore guys....For those of us who care, this will be a weak year for the UW's.

HOOTER
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm way over this. There was a time when I would have loved to see these two programs rekindle their rivalry, but that's in the past. Neither team really needs the other at this point. Anytime there's this much drama involved I lose interest. These two programs will be just fine without each other.

JPtheBeasta
05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Huskies fans will always feel their teams were better because Roy succeeded in the NBA and AMMO didn't. I don't agree with the logic but that is the kind of rationality I get from people over there. Why would we expect them to make an honest evaluation of the situation? I believe Few said that the series was cancelled when it was GU's turn to host. Next game in the Kennel- simple as that.

I don't really care if this series resumes. GU doesn't need them, and never really has. It is apparent that playing a good opponent on the road in the out of conference schedule is against the philosophy of the program over there, so I don't even take this personally, or as "bad blood" or a feud ("Fewed"?) or what ever else you want to call it. Frankly, GU might do the same thing if the WCC was as strong as the Pac-12

Meanwhile, I will have a great time watching the Zags play an amazing, UW-less, OOC schedule next year.

NewLookZag
05-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Personally, I don't think we care that much about it... It's fun to talk about once and a while, but when it comes down to it, playing teams like Duke, Michigan State, Notre Dame, ect is a lot more meaningful than UW, especially when they come to K2.. That's what it's about.

UW fans think they are the big brother in the rivalry now, which I find ironic, considering that mentality started as soon as we stopped playing.... HA! As far as to why they think that, I don't know and I don't care. They haven't made it farther in the tournament, and they frankly haven't done much on the national stage... As for NBA players, they DO have the upper hand, but to me, that just means that their college program has done LESS with MORE, because they have all this NBA talent, and still can't get passed little Gonzaga.

BTW, Nate Robinson has become an Adam Morrison himself, so if they want to keep making fun of Ammo, I'll start to point out that Nate Robinson doesn't get off the bench anymore, and when he does, he gets absolutely embarrassed by JJ Barea.

thebigsmoove
05-26-2011, 03:26 PM
...Anytime, Anyplace is for teams like DUKE and UNC, not teams like UW, who we are superior to. We've got teams like Notre Dame and Michigan State coming to the Kennel now.. Why the hell would we play UW in Seattle every year?

Well Said...Well Said...

thebigsmoove
05-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Listen here...This does matter, and to everyone who doesn't think it matters for various reasons, why do you even read these posts? Obviously the amount of people who comment on this indicates that its an important issue. I for one think this should be a required yearly game, not for our "small school" beating the "bigger school" but for the simple fact that these are the two best basketball schools in the state (Sorry Coug fans) and they SHOULD duke it out annually. Gonzaga is a top 25 basketball school every year, and UW usually is too, simple geography dictates that we go at it to determine superiority.

I also second the notion that Mark Few never had a problem with a Key/Spokane Arena series, it was the laughable assumption that their "Great Offer" of 3 straight in Key was a series, I pity the fool who thinks that is a level playing field...Obvious 80-20 tilt in UW's favor...

HOOTER
05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Listen here...This does matter, and to everyone who doesn't think it matters for various reasons, why do you even read these posts? Obviously the amount of people who comment on this indicates that its an important issue.

I don't think it would be a bad thing, but I don't necessarily think either program needs to play the other at this point. Gonzaga's non-conference schedule every season is pretty much where it needs to be, and I imagine UW's is also. It was a fun rivalry while it lasted, but it's just not worth the drama. It may seem "important" in May when there's little else to talk about, but come November when the season starts it will be the furthest thing from our minds.

I for one think this should be a required yearly game

Required? How so? I'm not sure I get this statement. Who exactly is in charge of implementing and enforcing such a requirement? I guess you could call your local state rep and see about introducing legislation forcing the two teams to play each other every year. ;)

Crusader Rick
05-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Did I really read a Zag fan calling UW the rich kids? Kettle to ###.

Coug Tracks
05-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Coug Tracks said: "Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well." He also said: "As I posted, Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and Few will only play in K2 so that's an issue."

That is a flawed understanding of the situation. In fact, that's probably a little too pg...it's blatantly false. Few does not have an aversion to playing a Key/Spokane arena arrangement. That was NEVER the issue. The issue was that it needed to be equitable. It would be unfair to play two over there and one over here. With that said, a Key/Spokane Arena arrangement would be fine, and Few stated as much, and a UW Campus/GU Campus game would be okay, he also stated as much. UW was trying to get GU to make a concession that GU doesn't make for anyone, save perhaps for a Duke.

Please, do not repaint history unless you know the details.You must have missed where I said "Romar wants the advantage so he offered to play at the Key Arena every year, 2-for-1 or whatever." Most likely it comes down to 2 men who don't like each other. You tell me but that's really the key "detail" in this situation.

GodZaga76
05-27-2011, 12:53 AM
So I kinda disagree with a bunch of you on this post, I loved seeing the Zags dominate the Huskies because, I hate the Huskies, but I think we need to play them. Only for the fact of in state recruiting, I think we could pull alot of Washington talent that would sign with UW if we played them and continued to dominate them like we did. I think the longer we go without playing them we will miss out on some top level kids that will sign with UW just because they are the big school.

Zig-Zag
05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
UW had and has no intent of renewing series. They deliberatly stuctured and presented in a way they knew GU could not accept. Instead of AD to AD an underling informed GU AD a offer was being made and would be forwarded to him. UW then leaked it to KJR radio before GU had a chance to respond. Seattle press thought playing all games in Seattle with Pac 10 refrees was a great idea. Only intent was get press off UW's back and put GU on defensive. GU AD had been working hard queitly and respectibly to get UW- GU game back, anything close to fair would have worked. Now it is a matter of RESPECT. I too at this point say move on. If they call some day we will be happy to consider fair and respecful offer.

GoZags
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
UW had and has no intent of renewing series. They deliberatly stuctured and presented in a way they knew GU could not accept. Instead of AD to AD an underling informed GU AD a offer was being made and would be forwarded to him. UW then leaked it to KJR radio before GU had a chance to respond. Seattle press thought playing all games in Seattle with Pac 10 refrees was a great idea. Only intent was get press off UW's back and put GU on defensive. GU AD had been working hard queitly and respectibly to get UW- GU game back, anything close to fair would have worked. Now it is a matter of RESPECT. I too at this point say move on. If they call some day we will be happy to consider fair and respecful offer.

Bingo.

ZagsObserver
05-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Coug says:

"You must have missed where I said "Romar wants the advantage so he offered to play at the Key Arena every year, 2-for-1 or whatever." Most likely it comes down to 2 men who don't like each other. You tell me but that's really the key "detail" in this situation."

No I caught that. But you followed that statement with the lie (untruth, whatever you want to call it) when you said that Few will only play on campus. That wasn't the issue - it was an issue of it being equitable.

And no, it does not come down to two men that simply don't like eachother. If I offered to trade you my watermelon for your 55 inch plasma and you said "no," could I simply say it's because you simply don't like me - it comes down to "two men who simply don't like each other." That's silly - it comes down to UW trying to save face by offering a "deal" that everyone knew wouldn't be accepted. It was a bogus deal that was not intended to be accepted. The shame falls solely on that side of the fence.

a13coach
05-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Bingo.

Just add another item to highlight how UW does not want to play us all we have to do is look at how UW cancelled their series against GU in WBB. As soon as the Lady Zags started making it a habit of NCAA runs and the talent they have been getting, in addition to spanking the Huskies on the court. The chickens decided not to renew the series.
When it comes to basketball the UW Ath.Dept. does not want anything to do with GU on an even fair playing field (er... court).

DixieZag
05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I used to get really angry about this topic but I am pretty much over it; the UW softened its OOC schedule and was tired of getting beat by GU, period. They were probably a little scared GU might take their 3 year Key Arena plan. BUT all anyone needs to know about what is really going on is look at the situation with WSU.

WSU has been a thorn in our side b/c they beat us at least as often as we beat them nowadays. Has Few canceled the series? Is the game in the Arena every year? The games (except last year) have been some of the best, hardest fought of the year and I respect the hell out of the Coug BB program. No talk about ending this series.

dawgfather11
05-27-2011, 06:09 PM
This post is hilarious.

The series will resume as soon as either Romar or Few retires/moves on. The only reason this series is not being played is because the coaches don't like and or respect each other, there is no other reason no matter what people would like to think.

FWIW's I think UW has stepped up it's OOC schedule since the GU series wasn't renewed.
OOC rank for UW last 6 years (2006 2007 included GU games) numbers are from kenpom.com
2006 222
2007 267
2008 224
2009 77
2010 40
2011 60

Anyway i'd love to have the series back as the games got really competitive and fun once romar got UW turned around, I just don't see it happening :(

Zagdawg
05-27-2011, 07:15 PM
You left out 2005 and 2004.

2005 UW was 24
2004 UW was 52

You are right--they are almost back to 2004-2005 OOC levels.

As far as competitive ---- the last game about summed it up--20 pt waxing at the hands of the Zags---It would be nice to have the automatic W back in place.

I agree it won't happen again until the UW AD finds a set or romar "leaves to pursue other opportunities and we wish him the best of luck."

ZagsObserver
05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
"The only reason this series is not being played is because the coaches don't like and or respect each other"

Well, that's not true. The reason the series is not going to continue is because Romar refuses to allow for an equitable arrangement. He offered a ridiculous proposal to save face. If it's a home and home, or a Key/Spokane Arena that was offered, the series would still be going.

Coug Tracks
05-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Coug says:

"You must have missed where I said "Romar wants the advantage so he offered to play at the Key Arena every year, 2-for-1 or whatever." Most likely it comes down to 2 men who don't like each other. You tell me but that's really the key "detail" in this situation."

No I caught that. But you followed that statement with the lie (untruth, whatever you want to call it) when you said that Few will only play on campus. That wasn't the issue - it was an issue of it being equitable.

And no, it does not come down to two men that simply don't like eachother. If I offered to trade you my watermelon for your 55 inch plasma and you said "no," could I simply say it's because you simply don't like me - it comes down to "two men who simply don't like each other." That's silly - it comes down to UW trying to save face by offering a "deal" that everyone knew wouldn't be accepted. It was a bogus deal that was not intended to be accepted. The shame falls solely on that side of the fence.If you caught it then why did you say "The issue was that it needed to be equitable. It would be unfair to play two over there and one over here."?

I really don't think either Romar or Few like each other and that's the real issue. However, I agree that Few would play if the deal was equitable. There's just not a lot of upside for Romar to make it a fair deal. Happens all the time.

Zag365
05-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Bottom line is that we don't need UW in our schedule and they don't need us. Gonzaga fans have this notion that we, the little guys, should play and beat UW, the big guys, every year in order to legitimize our standing in the state. The problem is, based on our continued success and dominance, we are not the little guys, but instead a powerhouse that plays a strong national schedule every single year.

. . . .

Each program had different goals and aims. Didn't work out... too bad, move on, stop dwelling on it. Gonzaga doesn't need to legitimize itself by beating UW. We beat BCS schools all the time.

Great post, CB4. Agree with all of your points and would add the following:

1. Identity. Gonzaga's focus is national; UW's is PAC-12 and the West Coast. No need for GU to use OOC schedule to create another regional rivalry .

2. Distraction. The danger of annual game is that it would become the measuring stick for the season (think Apple Cup). Okay if you win; but, not good for Gonzaga that it become a talisman. The primary goal for Gonzaga should be winning the WCC and going as far in NCAA tourney as possible. The OOC is there to prepare GU for that mission, not peak for a UW game.

3. Marketing. Gonzaga gets good support for BiS and has lots of fans/respect in Western Washington. Has always had Western Washington players and now getting Puget Sound area players - Gray, Bell. Regularly scheduling UW could turn into an East/West rivalry that would cost Gonzaga support it enjoys by being thought of as a "WA"/national team. Let's leave the spite games with UW to WSU and Oregon and keep focussing on playing Top 20 programs nationally.

MickMick
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I only want to see UW in a NCAA tournament game.

Regardless of how many times GU beats them, the sting doesn't hurt enough to make them humble. UW fans are great at spin. They are great at diverting attention away from the scoreboard. They expend considerable effort to produce meaningless statistics in an effort to dilute their recent record against GU.

The stakes have to be higher. The loss has to sting a little more. I want to see the matchup in the tournament.

Angelo Roncalli
05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
The series will resume as soon as either Romar or Few retires/moves on. (

Add Scott Woodward to that list and you're getting close to having it right.

MDABE80
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Mick's on to something. We cleaned their clock consistently and those goofs somehow thought they were better. Like Monte Python's character who had his arms and legs cutoff and STILL was taunting. lolol.

We're fine. We will probable do this little exercise once more more the auntumn seasons. Make me laugh. I mean seriously...GU wiped these clowns out in the modern era. There's not much left to show.

We need some runs in the NCAA more than we need another UW victory. It was fun but it became a laugher...a source of snickering but it got us nowhere.

We do need a bigger fish to advance the program. UW won't be that fish....they're ok but not what we need to move ahead.

Coug Tracks
05-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Mick's on to something. We cleaned their clock consistently and those goofs somehow thought they were better. Like Monte Python's character who had his arms and legs cutoff and STILL was taunting. lolol.

We're fine. We will probable do this little exercise once more more the auntumn seasons. Make me laugh. I mean seriously...GU wiped these clowns out in the modern era. There's not much left to show.

We need some runs in the NCAA more than we need another UW victory. It was fun but it became a laugher...a source of snickering but it got us nowhere.

We do need a bigger fish to advance the program. UW won't be that fish....they're ok but not what we need to move ahead.I don't know Abe. Over the last 5 years or so has GU made much deeper Tournament runs than the UW? Do you think the regional and national perception of the programs is that different?

MDABE80
05-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Coug...you got my point. We NEED to go go further in the NCAA's to advance the program. UW means nothing...not to us anyway. We need some BIG fish .

UW's done ok apart from not even making the NCAA for two years running in 2007 and 2008. They've done fine since then. We, however need to win some games and go much much further in the NCAA to amke some progress. We won't make that progress if we keep playing the same old faces and continuing to beat them.

Our next plateau won't be more victories over UW,...nah it's the tournament and some very deep runs. I hope you understood what I was saying. Of course an E8 beatdown of UW wouldn't be a bad thing.

I just don't think victories over UW has much to offer anymore. We need much more now.

thebigsmoove
05-28-2011, 05:40 AM
...Required? How so? I'm not sure I get this statement. Who exactly is in charge of implementing and enforcing such a requirement? I guess you could call your local state rep and see about introducing legislation forcing the two teams to play each other every year. ;)

Thats exactly what they did here in Kentucky for the UL-UK football and basketball games...

Reborn
05-28-2011, 05:41 AM
I hope we don't turn into a bunch of snobs and begin acting like UW fans. UW vs GU was always a great rivalry and a great game every year, and I think for most Gonzaga fans it was one of the best games of the year. It was for me. I ALWAYS took great pleasure in beating them. Our victories over them certainly helped to build our program into an elite program.

The problem is not that Gonzaga doesn't want to play the University of Washington. It's that they don't want to play us. Let's keep it that way. We don't need to think of ideas or reasons why we don't NEED to play them. And, for me at least, it certainly isn't because we have a better program then they do and don't NEED to play them now because we need to find BIGGER fish. That sounds pretty arrogant to me. Anyone who doesn't recognize the UW as a top 30 program right now is bias and therefore blind. I think it's great to have another team in our great state who has a top flight basketball program, and we DON'T have to travel 3,000 miles to play them.

Count me as one who hopes this rivalry starts back up soon. This game is good for the state of Washington. There's nothing like a great rivalry to keep the blood hot during the winter months while we wait for March.

thebigsmoove
05-28-2011, 05:45 AM
...I just don't think victories over UW has much to offer anymore. We need much more now.

I just dont buy this explanation, We could easily replace games against CSU Bakersfield or even Oklahoma St. with UW, id even wager that half the teams on our OOC are worse in the RPI over the last 5 years than UW...We may be able to get better teams to come in, but working to renew this series is far from a losing proposition.

ZagsObserver
05-28-2011, 08:35 AM
"I really don't think either Romar or Few like each other and that's the real issue. However, I agree that Few would play if the deal was equitable."

Of course Few would - GU wasn't the one that canceled the series, and Few stated that he would play a home and home.

So, by saying that you agree that Few would play a deal that was equitable, then you in turn must agree that the reason that they aren't currently playing each other is solely because of UW - that's the issue. It is not because they simply don't "like eachother," although that also could be true.

MDABE80
05-28-2011, 09:15 AM
How many times/ways are you guys going to twist this pretzel?

ZagsObserver
05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
"How many times/ways are you guys going to twist this pretzel?"

It irritates me when someone who (apparently) doesn't know much about the situation disseminates false information. Stating that at least part of the reason the series is not continuing is because Few will only play in K2 is just flat out wrong. He just wanted an equitable arrangement, as was the case previously, and as is the case with just about every other team. He NEVER said not playing in K2 was a holdup...as long as both the home and away games were at neutral arenas, of course. If someone offered you a watermelon for your plasma tv, and you disagreed, would it be because you simply don't like watermelon? No, it would be because it was a ridiculous, disengenuous offer, and the fault should lie solely with the person refusing to consider a legit, fair offer.

When someone disseminates false information, another person can pick up that information, thinking it to be true, and you know how that story ends. When someone refuses to own up to their false statements and continues to rationalize and twist - well, that's irritating too.

Coug Tracks
05-28-2011, 09:43 AM
"How many times/ways are you guys going to twist this pretzel?"

It irritates me when someone who (apparently) doesn't know much about the situation disseminates false information. Stating that at least part of the reason the series is not continuing is because Few will only play in K2 is just flat out wrong. He just wanted an equitable arrangement, as was the case previously, and as is the case with just about every other team. He NEVER said not playing in K2 was a holdup...as long as both the home and away games were at neutral arenas, of course. If someone offered you a watermelon for your plasma tv, and you disagreed, would it be because you simply don't like watermelon? No, it would be because it was a ridiculous, disengenuous offer.

When someone disseminates false information, another person can pick up that information, thinking it to be true, and you know how that story ends. When someone refuses to own up to their false statements and continues to rationalize and twist - well, that's irritating too.I probably took Few's comments on playing on-campus out of context but you seem to want to focus soley on that one statement and dismiss that I did say the deal was not equitable to GU. The biggest factor by far is that Few and Romar do not like or have mutual respect for one another. If they did then the 2 teams would find a way to play. They obviously don't and that's why this won't come together unless Presidents get involved. Playing the blame game beyond this simple fact misses the point IMO.

I don't think Romar has a lot to gain from playing GU and I agree with Abe that GU needs to put their focus in other areas. Too many factors on both sides make this a no go.

ZagsObserver
05-28-2011, 05:02 PM
"The biggest factor by far is that Few and Romar do not like or have mutual respect for one another. If they did then the 2 teams would find a way to play."

That might be the issue for Romar, but that's not the issue with Few and GU. Few only required that they continue with the original, equitable arrangement, or something equally equitable. Anything less is disingenuous. Like I said, if I want to trade my dollar for your two dollars, is it a lack of mutual respect when I require that I will ONLY trade a dollar for a dollar, or something comparable. The person requiring that it not be equitable is where the fault lies, and it could be his dislike for GU that he offers an arrangement that is unequitable...you simply cannot spread the blame both ways on this one, as it falls squarely on UW.

Coug Tracks
05-28-2011, 07:00 PM
...you simply cannot spread the blame both ways on this one, as it falls squarely on UW.Yes you can and should spread it both ways. It is very rare that all fault lies on one side. The people that think this way on a subject typically have difficulty seeing both sides of an issue objectively.

MickMick
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes you can and should spread it both ways. It is very rare that all fault lies on one side. The people that think this way on a subject typically have difficulty seeing both sides of an issue objectively.

Sheesh Coug.

Start with the details of the UW "leaked" offer. Few rarely goes public with respect to negotiating his schedule, but on the rare occasion that he does, his public response is reactionary to those that seek to initiate such matters through the media.

In other words, instead of using his preferred method of privately, politely saying no to such an inequitable offer, he decided to say "hell no" to the media. I'm thinking that "having Bigfoot's baby" is roughly equivalent to saying "Hell no".

I think it is Few's way of saying that "talk" radio stations are not the correct venue to negotiate such a deal. In response, he made it clear about what he thought of UDub never crossing the Cascades.

ZagsObserver
05-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Okay Coug, I demand that you trade me two dollars to my one. If you disagree with this trade then it is because you simply don't like me and you are partially to blame.

It's a really, really dumb argument that you are making here and I'm not going to waste anymore time arguing with someone who clearly is too stubborn to realize that he/she was wrong about the facts.

Saxon_zag
05-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Okay Coug, I demand that you trade me two dollars to my one. If you disagree with this trade then it is because you simply don't like me and you are partially to blame.

This.

Coug you are believing exactly what the UW wants you to believe by saying some of this stuff. It's the exact reason they "leaked" that bogus offer, to make it seem as if it isn't all their fault. When really Romar just decided to take his ball and go home

thebigsmoove
05-29-2011, 09:09 AM
...When really Romar just decided to take his ball and go home

BEST. ANALOGY. EVER! lol

JPtheBeasta
05-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Immediately after UW cancelled the series:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20061208&slug=umen08:

"Yeah, whatever, it's not that big of a deal," Few said. "If they want to play, there's probably a place for them."

Later...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2010124919_zags_coach_mark.html

Gonzaga coach Mark Few didn't mince words when asked what he thought of Washington's proposal to renew their series at KeyArena over the next three years.

"The chances of that happening are about the same as Big Foot having my baby," he said in an interview with SI.Com's Seth Davis. "That's like me saying, Gonzaga proposes a five-year deal at Spokane Arena. There, I just made a proposal. That's as logical as this deal [would be]."

It's Few's first public comments since the proposal leaked out to the media Wednesday and it's obvious he's not happy about the terms of the proposal.

"The series should start in Spokane because Washington canceled the series," Few told SI.com. "If they want to do a home-and-home, that's fine. If they don't, let's all move on. We have some incredible home-and-home deals right now with Wake [Forest], Michigan State and Xavier. We're doing a deal with Oklahoma. We have plenty of games, so it's not that important for us to play Washington."

It's also obvious these schools aren't particularly fond of each other and Few goes on to chastise UW for going public with the proposal and seemingly backing Gonzaga in the corner.

"When they pulled out, I was totally, unequivocally cool with it. Scheduling is hard," Few said in the interview. "We've been down this road many times before. This decision will be made between myself, Lorenzo and the two athletic directors. It won't get done through the media."

The reporter editorializes by saying "it's also obvious these schools aren't particularly fond of each other"- that is not explicit, and although possibly accurate, not validated by the statements made. I think it's clear that UW has been disingenuous with the way they have handled this thing, which makes me respect them less, but I believe Few has been pretty rational in the media about this thing. Once again, I feel we have fans (ie us) projecting emotions into a situation that may not necessarily be there. For more examples of reading "bad blood" and such into a situation, I refer you to any GU transfer rumor for the past several years.

Coug Tracks
05-29-2011, 11:49 AM
This.

Coug you are believing exactly what the UW wants you to believe by saying some of this stuff. It's the exact reason they "leaked" that bogus offer, to make it seem as if it isn't all their fault. When really Romar just decided to take his ball and go homeYou guys lose me especially Observer. I posted pretty much from the start that the 2-for-1 deal was not fair and GU is definitely at a point where they should not accept that kind of deal. Still, Observer keeps rolling out the $2 for $1 trade as if I am saying GU should have taken the deal. Doesn't make any sense.

However, there are programs that make a commitment to do 2-for-1 or 1-for-none all the time so the analogy doesn't even work. Again, I am NOT saying GU should sign up for that deal but I think some of you are missing the big picture and instead focusing on Romar's ridiculous offer.

JPtheBeasta
05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
The key thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what any of us think- this is between Few and Romar. Few wants a home-and-home, starting in GU. Romar wants to play every game in Seattle. These two desires aren't very congruent, and if one side or the other doesn't change their mind a game just ain't gonna happen. It would be a respectful thing for Romar to resume the series in Spokane, where they were due to play next, but that doesn't seem to be his mindset at this time. Romar and staff should also be embarrassed by the transparency of their ridiculous offer, and they way they went about it. I would be disappointed in GU if they accepted any other terms than what they are requesting at this time.

ZagsObserver
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
"You guys lose me especially Observer. I posted pretty much from the start that the 2-for-1 deal was not fair and GU is definitely at a point where they should not accept that kind of deal. Still, Observer keeps rolling out the $2 for $1 trade as if I am saying GU should have taken the deal. Doesn't make any sense."

Now you're just spinning the truth. You actually started out by making several non-factual statements (such as Few refusing to play outside of k2) that suggested that the blame was equal. Here are your statements:

"Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well."
"As I posted, Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and Few will only play in K2 so that's an issue."

Just because a coach like Few doesn't accept a ridiculous offer it doesn't mean that both parties are to blame because they "don't like eachother," which is what you stated.

dawgfather11
05-29-2011, 05:58 PM
The key thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what any of us think- this is between Few and Romar. Few wants a home-and-home, starting in GU. Romar wants to play every game in Seattle. These two desires aren't very congruent, and if one side or the other doesn't change their mind a game just ain't gonna happen. It would be a respectful thing for Romar to resume the series in Spokane, where they were due to play next, but that doesn't seem to be his mindset at this time. Romar and staff should also be embarrassed by the transparency of their ridiculous offer, and they way they went about it. I would be disappointed in GU if they accepted any other terms than what they are requesting at this time.

umm you realize the last game of the series was played in Spokane right? Even if this thing resumed, which it won't as long as those 2 are coaches, it would never restart in Spokane.

MDABE80
05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
This is another of "those" offseason threads......you know which kind don't you?
You know...one of "those"....it'll end by July with any luck. Mind you, nothing will be decided except for this: UW and GU won't play again because Few and Romo don't get along very well. Does it matter? Nope.

Nice way of wasting some time on a non issue though. Damned Baseball team got beat today! Grrrrrr. Hope the kids get an at large bid. It's a very good team as it finishes the season.

JPtheBeasta
05-29-2011, 08:24 PM
umm you realize the last game of the series was played in Spokane right? Even if this thing resumed, which it won't as long as those 2 are coaches, it would never restart in Spokane.

Just going off of Few's quote. He thinks it should restart in Spokane per the linked article above. I think your beef is with someone other than this poster. I thought posting the articles would help but I guess the tail must wag the Dawg

Reborn
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM
You will get this kind of a thread anytime you want to talk about GU and UW renewing the series. And most likely anytime you want to talk about UW basketball vs Gonzaga.

Coug Tracks
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
"You guys lose me especially Observer. I posted pretty much from the start that the 2-for-1 deal was not fair and GU is definitely at a point where they should not accept that kind of deal. Still, Observer keeps rolling out the $2 for $1 trade as if I am saying GU should have taken the deal. Doesn't make any sense."

Now you're just spinning the truth. You actually started out by making several non-factual statements (such as Few refusing to play outside of k2) that suggested that the blame was equal. Here are your statements:

"Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and that's his choice. Few probably doesn't want to play in Key/Spokane Arena and that's his choice as well."
"As I posted, Romar doesn't want to play in K2 and Few will only play in K2 so that's an issue."

Just because a coach like Few doesn't accept a ridiculous offer it doesn't mean that both parties are to blame because they "don't like eachother," which is what you stated.I did say "probably" which implies it was my opinion and that I was not stating it as fact. I definitely said Romar's offer was unfair and GU shouldn't take the deal. I see it as a starting point that Few could have worked with or responded with a comment about sasquatch.

Neither program needs the other and neither coach likes the other. That's the issue IMO and why these 2 programs won't get together any time soon.

I am really not sure what you are looking for or why the need to paint what I said as a "lie" or "spinning the truth". I understand this subject hits close to home but that's why I feel (again, my opinion) that you may lack an objective point of view.

ZagNative
05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow. 60 posts and 3,000+ views over this tired subject.....

Ah, summer!

MDABE80
05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I know ZN...now I know that anything is possible. Arguing over a "never-will-be" topic (again). Settled and gone for years now.
Once again this thread has confirmed ROmar and Few don't like each other and the series that GU dominated is over...for years!

ExtremeJim
05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
If someone offered you a watermelon for your plasma tv, and you disagreed, would it be because you simply don't like watermelon?

...because at the rate plasma TV prices are dropping and the rate watermelon prices are rising, they were going to pass each other going in opposite directions before the subject of this thread got exhausted.

titopoet
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Wow. 60 posts and 3,000+ views over this tired subject.....

Ah, summer!

What I like is that everyone is disagreeing while agreeing. Agreeing: no series renewal, neither team needs the other, and the coaches don't like each other.

Beyond those three there is not much to say, but how many fans dance on the head of this needle. I tend to do the mambo myself. 1-2-3-4 spin. 1-2-3-4 spin. Chachacha

Zig-Zag
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
:adored: JUST ANOUNCED "" BIG FOOT IS PREGNANT"" but won't have baby until after world ends in 2012!!!:lmao:

NotoriousZ
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM

It's just a flesh wound.