PDA

View Full Version : Best Wishes to Spangler Family and Friends

DixieZag
05-24-2011, 04:02 PM
It sounds like the central area of Oklahoma is being decimated and I wanted to let our new Zag fans in OK and even you, young Zag (if you read this board - which you should not do once the ball is thrown up your frosh year), that all of Zag nation is praying for the health and welfare of your family and friends in the entire area, stay strong.

We are thinking and praying for your state and you.

sittingon50
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Ditto. Former roomy of mine about an hour south of OKC.

VaBeachZAG
05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
That goes for me as well, my nephew graduated from OU in Norman two years ago. I also have a sister living in Springfield so she didn't miss the Joplin disaster by much. It is hard to imagine what all these folks are going through. What is going on with the weather right now is just crazy. Just this afternoon severe thunderstorms with winds over 70 mph roared through Virginia Beach.

Again, best wishes to the Spangler family and all the others suffering from these storms.

Reborn
05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
It sounds like the central area of Oklahoma is being decimated and I wanted to let our new Zag fans in OK and even you, young Zag (if you read this board - which you should not do once the ball is thrown up your frosh year), that all of Zag nation is praying for the health and welfare of your family and friends in the entire area, stay strong.

We are thinking and praying for your state and you.

You and your family are in my prayers too. It's just aweful....

kitzbuel
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Need updates from Birddog and Mee755.

ZagNative
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I've been tracking storm reports on KOKO.TV's site (http://livewire.koco.com/Event/Live_Wire_Oklahoma_Severe_Weather_May_23), and there was a brief mention that Blanchard had been hit. Looking forward to tomorrow, when we'll get a clearer picture.

ridgebackzag
05-24-2011, 07:53 PM
My sister lives in Tulsa, she's reported that the weather has passed in that area.

Birddog
05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
The ingredients were there for some really severe tornadoes yesterday and although there were several deaths (8 so far) and a lot of destruction, it was still less than what it could have been. The closest storm was NW of me by about 10 miles. It was the same one that just about wiped out a small burb (Piedmont)15 miles W and then tracked NE and hit areas around Stillwater. The storms were so scattered that getting in all the damage reports will take awhile. That particular one travelled about 100 miles or more.

The area around Bridge Creek is historically bad but I don't have any reports from there yet. Tornadoes are weird in that they frequently track similar paths year after year. When you see pictures of the trees that have been "debarked", you can assume an F4 or greater (200mph) hit that area. There was a report of two diesel locomotives blown over in a community about 45 miles W of here. The largest cell of these storms was hard to anticipate because the actual funnel was wrapped in rain and you can't really see them until they hit you. The weather radar can track them but to the naked eye they are basically invisible. I suspect that many of the dead and injured didn't have access to TV/Radio or were travelling. The warnings from the weather service made it clear to get underground for this series of storms. I've learned to pay attention to those reports.

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Yes, hopefully we hear from our zags fans in that area soon. The last two weeks have been rough around here.

Joplin, MO was hit very hard two days ago, and the death toll stand at 123 at the moment, which makes this the 8th deadlieast tornado in US history....but at the moment, there are still 1500 people missing. From what I have read, officials are saying that most of those 1500 missing people just fled the area, or have lost their means of communication, but either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll reaches 200 after they start the massive cleanup...

Joplin is 3.5 hours East of me. We had another really bad storm last night, and are supposed to be hit again with even worse storms today around 1:00-2:00pm that are going to be capable of producing tornados. I'm getting sick of storms around here.

oregongufan
05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
To all our Midwest fans and friends thoughts and prayers for safety from these terrible storms.

deathchina
05-25-2011, 07:33 AM
WooHoo, you live in Saint Louis too right?

Lurknomore
05-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Thinking about you guys and sending prayers to you. Seeing what happened in Joplin is just unreal. Stay safe.

TexasZagFan
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
We had a few "small" twisters in DFW yesterday...but nothing like those in OK, MO, and other places.

Glad to hear Birddog is ok.

On my (bus) ride home from work, we were getting hail ranging from dime-size to a bit smaller than golf ball size hail. We were lucky...some areas had baseball to softball size hail.

The sound was akin to Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, and Gene Krupa jamming on the roof of the vehicle.

Birddog
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Here's a short video that displays some of the damage. It was a mile wide in places. This was about 15 miles due W of where I live and came about 10 miles to the NW. One family is particularly devasted. A pregnant mom and her 3 kids one 15 mos, one 3 yrs and another 5 yrs got into the bathtub and pulled a mattress over their heads (standard procedure when you don't have a shelter or safe room). The 15 mos old was missing for awhile, later found and died overnight. The 3 yr old is still missing, the 5 yr old is recovering in the hosp and the pregnant mother has to have surgery for broken bones and other injuries. They had no shelter which is odd given that the neighborhood they lived in was relatively new, upscale (McMansion type) 4,000 sq ft + houses on acreages (2 plus) costing upwards of 500k. This area was hit with at least F4 maybe F5 tornado. It's very fortunate that for the most part the tornadoes tracked accross relatively open, rural areas and didn't really hit much that was densely populated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMMRjw2YRs
Lots more on YouTube

DixieZag
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Here's a short video that displays some of the damage. It was a mile wide in places. This was about 15 miles due W of where I live and came about 10 miles to the NW. One family is particularly devasted. A pregnant mom and her 3 kids one 15 mos, one 3 yrs and another 5 yrs got into the bathtub and pulled a mattress over their heads (standard procedure when you don't have a shelter or safe room). The 15 mos old was missing for awhile, later found and died overnight. The 3 yr old is still missing, the 5 yr old is recovering in the hosp and the pregnant mother has to have surgery for broken bones and other injuries. They had no shelter which is odd given that the neighborhood they lived in was relatively new, upscale (McMansion type) 4,000 sq ft + houses on acreages (2 plus) costing upwards of 500k. This area was hit with at least F4 maybe F5 tornado. It's very fortunate that for the most part the tornadoes tracked accross relatively open, rural areas and didn't really hit much that was densely populated.
Lots more on YouTube

Having your toddlers fly out of your arms in a deafening roar - some things just go beyond one's ability to comprehend. I started this thread thinking mostly of our "new" Zag fans in Bridge Creek, forgetting - or not mentioning, about the many established ones in such a huge area.

My handle is from my Mississippi years, now I live in Spokane, but I sure remember the TV beeping and the computer voice stating the "tornado is moving at X mph, traveling N/NW and will be in the vicinity of A in 6 minutes, B in 11 minutes, C in 19 minutes. . . . "

It is bad enough for adults - but wrapping my arms around my toddler and sitting in a bathroom was scarrier than Katrina - we had time to be relatively safe.

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 10:46 AM
WooHoo, you live in Saint Louis too right?

Yes, about 40 miles West of St. Louis. You'd better brace yourself for this next storm! I just heard that yet ANOTHER tornado just touched down in Sedalia, MO, just a little Southwest of me/us...

Here is the very daunting radar....it's about 45 minutes away from my town at the moment. (I am the little red pin to the right).

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/photo-3.png

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Lots more on YouTube

Oh my gosh....

deathchina
05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Everything allright woohoo? Looks like saint louis is going to be ok...

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Everything allright woohoo? Looks like saint louis is going to be ok...

Sitting in a closet in the basement with my family at the moment....looking very threatening at the moment.

kitzbuel
05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Woohoo and his mobile phone?

http://cathyzielske.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5c3753ef0115709a027e970b-500wi

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
That's about right Kitz! Haha. We are back upstairs and doing good now. Worst of it looks to be passed us now.

thespywhozaggedme
05-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes, hopefully we hear from our zags fans in that area soon. The last two weeks have been rough around here.

Joplin, MO was hit very hard two days ago, and the death toll stand at 123 at the moment, which makes this the 8th deadlieast tornado in US history....but at the moment, there are still 1500 people missing. From what I have read, officials are saying that most of those 1500 missing people just fled the area, or have lost their means of communication, but either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll reaches 200 after they start the massive cleanup...

Joplin is 3.5 hours East of me. We had another really bad storm last night, and are supposed to be hit again with even worse storms today around 1:00-2:00pm that are going to be capable of producing tornados. I'm getting sick of storms around here.

You mean west, no? Either way, glad you and the fam are safe, prayers go out to everyone in that part of the country.

gozagswoohoo
05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
You mean west, no? Either way, glad you and the fam are safe, prayers go out to everyone in that part of the country.

Lol, YES, West! 3.5 hours East of me would be in Illinois. Time zones and geography will be the death of me.

DixieZag
05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Lol, YES, West! 3.5 hours East of me would be in Illinois. Time zones and geography will be the death of me.

They always seem to come from the southwest and go northeast. It doesn't matter what state you are in, just the way the squal lines go. The other thing that most people don't know is how territorial tornados seem to be, you here of them often taking the same general path over generations, something to do with the countours of the land and wind.

I hope the worst is over for most of you, glad you got through today woohoo, its supposed to calm down a little tomorrow, no?

gozagswoohoo
05-26-2011, 05:47 AM
I hope the worst is over for most of you, glad you got through today woohoo, its supposed to calm down a little tomorrow, no?

Thankfully, yes. From what I see, might get a little rain for a day or so, but then it all clears up.

thebigsmoove
05-26-2011, 06:54 AM
...The other thing that most people don't know is how territorial tornados seem to be, you here of them often taking the same general path over generations, something to do with the countours of the land and wind...

It really is odd, here in Louisville, while we can get tornadoes on the southern part of the Ohio River, but usually Southern Indiana gets pummeled, last night i heard Columbus, IN just north of us got leveled by a huge one...A lot of people around here think that the Ohio river has something to do with the intensity of the storms, most weather analysts don't think it does, but its just odd how the really bad storms seem to track just north of the ville usually...sometimes they will cross over the river into Oldham county which is NW of Jefferson County(Louisville Metro) but its just something we don't really yet understand...