• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Spangler plays today in the Little All-City basketball game

From Scott Wright in The Oklahoman:
    Rosters for Little All-City basketball game
    Posted by Scott Wright
    on May 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

The Little All-City boys basketball game will match up competitors from one of the year’s most exciting state championship games when it tips off Monday night at Mid-America Christian University.

Bridge Creek’s Ryan Spangler, The Oklahoman’s Super 5 Player of the Year, will face off against three Douglass players just a couple months after the Trojans won a wild showdown inside the State Fair Arena for their second consecutive Class 4A state championship.

Douglass’ Marquis Buxton-Hill, DeVonte Smith and Dorrian Williams will be a part of the East team that will take on Spangler and Bobcat teammate Josh Pershica on the West squad.

Spangler and Williams will also go head-to-head as part of the 3-point contest. The Little All-City girls game will tip off at 6:30 p.m. with the boys game to follow.
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
    Would be great to see how this one man show does when he has a supporting cast.

Go ZAGS!
    Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• webspinnre
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The 3 point contest? Is he much of a shooter?
      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
        The 3 point contest? Is he much of a shooter?
        He hit 9 three-pointers on the season, on 37 attempts, for a 24% average. So, no, not much of a shooter from distance. 76% from 2-pointland, though.

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Ryan leads all scorers with 22 points, per NewsOk.com:
          Posted by Bob Przybylo

Who says all-star games are just exhibitions? That was easily the strangest boys basketball game I’ve seen in my life. No doubt about it.

In the Little All-City game Monday night, the West trailed by more than 20 points in the third quarter. I don’t have an exact number because I stopped my running score, felt it wasn’t necessary.

However, in a comeback for the ages, the West erased the deficit, forced overtime and Harding Charter Prep’s Shontrell Scott hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer for a 95-92 win at Mid-America Christian.

It was 67-50 for the East going into the fourth quarter. And then Centennial coach Scott Raper found his lineup. On offense, he went with Millwood’s Drelan Triplett and Delford Robinson, Bridge Creek’s Ryan Spangler, John Marshall’s Talmadge Lawrence and Scott. When he went offense for defense, Piedmont’s John Stephens and Keith Vick replaced Spangler and Triplett.

And every move worked. The West actually made a good run in the third quarter, getting it down to 10. However, led by the Douglass trio of DeVonte Smith, Dorrian Williams and Marquis Buxton-Hill, the East got the margin back up.
          Great show put on by Smith and Williams. Buxton-Hill was a beast in the first half but was sort of quiet down the stretch. The opposite of Spangler. I believe he only had five points at halftime and ended up with a game-high 22 points. Scott made four 3-pointers.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for sharing this story with us, ZN. Good job by Ryan. I'm really excited to see him in a Zag uniform. It is great to see that one of our new guys is playing so well in a state All-Star game. I think he lived up to his PLAYER OF THE YEAR status. I am NOT counting him out for playing time next year. If I were Olynyk, I'd be working my rear-end off this summer.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
              Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
              • Feb 2007

Nice. Can't wait to see him here.

Spangler the Strangler
              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

woohoo

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
                Nice. Can't wait to see him here. Spangler the Strangler
                you ok after the big tornado split Joplin in half. any residual damage in the rest of the state ? best,
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

have to be honest in that the one sentence raised my eyebrows a little bit.....

In an all star game a coach substituted him out when defensive sets were needed........that is not a good sign as there really is two sides to the court come college level for true team success

I have to say I have NEVER heard of this occurring in all of my high school and summer allstar events.......

It is obvious he comes with a great offensive mindset, now I hope he will focus on the defensive side of the court
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CanadianZagFan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    Thanks for sharing this story with us, ZN. Good job by Ryan. I'm really excited to see him in a Zag uniform. It is great to see that one of our new guys is playing so well in a state All-Star game. I think he lived up to his PLAYER OF THE YEAR status. I am NOT counting him out for playing time next year. If I were Olynyk, I'd be working my rear-end off this summer.
                    Why single out Kelly, you do know Dower was not a great force on the glass nor did he move the ball, if he got it he shot it. Olynyk not only out rebounded Dower he also had a better point per shot taken ratio. I think they both will need to work hard to maintain and increase their playing time.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

It is very often the case - in fact, most of the time - that big men get totally lost in all star games like this. I almost never expect them to perform well. Largely because all star games tend be a bunch of guards running around who are only interested in hucking up shots. Zero offense in run. It wouldn't surprise me if Spangler was subbed for defensively because the other team had 5 quick guards on the floor. He won't have to deal with that in college.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                        Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                        you ok after the big tornado split Joplin in half. any residual damage in the rest of the state ? best,
                        Yes, the Woohoo family is okay, thanks for asking. Joplin is about 3 hours West of us, and the tornado from a couple weeks ago that ripped through part of the St. Louis area was only 30 minutes East. So we've been very lucky. We still had a pretty insane storm in my town yesterday though, just about 2 hours after Joplin was ripped apart. I was sitting in my office, looking at the dark sky, and out of nowhere, it was like someone dropped 1000 gallons of water in the middle of the street. It was ridiculous how fast it hit. I jumped up real quick and ran to the window (smart, I know), and saw the shingles of a roof across the street get ripped off like nothing. Then our power shut off. The neighbors shingles were flying all over the place, swirling all over the street, hitting vehicles. It was scary, and as scary as I thought THAT was, I can't imagine going through what Joplin went through. That was a really neat town, and has a population of about 50,000, and it was just torn to SHREDS. Really really sad....

Being in the insurance biz, it has kept me quite busy this morning. Lots of roof damage in my area, lots of fallen trees...

And I just got word that we are getting hit with another storm tomorrow, possibly WORSE than yesterday's....
                        Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Stay Safe

WooHoo.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by CanadianZagFan View Post
                            Why single out Kelly, you do know Dower was not a great force on the glass nor did he move the ball, if he got it he shot it. Olynyk not only out rebounded Dower he also had a better point per shot taken ratio. I think they both will need to work hard to maintain and increase their playing time.
                            I was making an assumption that Kelly will play at the #4 position, power forward, again next season. Spangler, imo, will play the 4, or power forward position. So, it looks to me, at this point, that Olynyk will be battling Spangler for minutes off the bench behind Elias Harris (who will start at the 4 in my opinion).

However, you are right about Dower, and his need to work hard this summer because if HE doesn't I think Olynyk would take minutes away from Dower at the #5, or center, postition. I think Kelly and Sam can play (and in fact have played) both the 4 and the 5.

I believe Spangler will challenge anyone for playing time at the 4. I do not see him playing the 5, or center, position. Our frontcourt is definitely loaded, and this just makes us alot stronger.

I liked what CDC said about how seldom centers,or bigs, get opportunities to score in All-Star games because guards like to "jack it up!" So then, the fact that Spangler was the leading scorer in the game says a lot about how good he is.

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                              WooHoo.
                              Really sorry to hear about the storm, WooHoo!. Stay safe (stay away from windows) and keep us informed. You and your family are in my prayers now.

Comment

Working...
                              X