PDA

View Full Version : UAB is not the BiS opponent

BobZag
06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Trust me. GU and the organizer are working on that game. And it will be a better foe.

If UAB does play GU, it'll be in K2, not Seattle.

Just fyi. :)

RebornZag
06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
THANK YOU BZ!!! My day is much better now.:clap: :clap:

lothar98zag
06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
UAB would be a really good K2 game.

Nevtelen
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
That makes me feel a lot better about the state of GU hoops. UAB is fine at home (though it'd be better as a 2-for-1 deal), but is not BiS material.

MDABE80
06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
For a national audience, I think another highly thought of team would be better. UAB at K2 would be good. Abe

tyra
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Is this year's date known yet for the BIS?

UberZagFan
06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Let's not forget that UMass was the BIS opponent a few years back--long after UMass lost the luster of the Calipari reign. But I agree, while UAB is a formidable opponent, a higher profile opponent for the BIS would be preferable.

ZagNative
06-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Let's not forget that UMass was the BIS opponent a few years back--long after UMass lost the luster of the Calipari reign. But I agree, while UAB is a formidable opponent, a higher profile opponent for the BIS would be preferable.

Nicely stated, Uber.

I signed up on the Battle in Seattle website for e-mail notifications here (http://www.battleinseattle.com/), so hopefully I'll find out the date an opponent not more than a month after it's announced here.

http://www.battleinseattle.com/pictures/BIS_logo_2007_400.jpg

Signing up for the e-mails also enters one in a drawing for two free tickets to the game.

MickMick
06-27-2007, 01:15 AM
I thought I read about Georgetown being mentioned for BIS at one time.

Nevtelen
06-27-2007, 05:51 AM
As noted a couple of places on the board, that fell through when the Hoyas chose to play Memphis instead of us.

BobZag
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
working on byu

realtydog
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I hope that was said as a joke

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I hope that was said as a joke
I guess only time will tell...

former1dog
06-27-2007, 01:05 PM
All due respect, I don't think I would fly into Seattle to see us play BYU.

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
All due respect, I don't think I would fly into Seattle to see us play BYU.
But would you attend if GU went to Utah?

cggonzaga
06-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Let me know if I'm wrong but hasn't BYU played in the last 2 NCAA tournaments? I personally think this would be a great get for the BIS. Good competition and it won't kill our RPI.

former1dog
06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
But would you attend if GU went to Utah?

Of course.

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Of course.
Just like the last time GU came to Utah? ;)

former1dog
06-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Just like the last time GU came to Utah? ;)

Dude, I wandered around outside the arena for half of the 1st half trying to get a ticket. No one was selling, everyone was buying.

What was I supposed to do, sneak in?

lothar98zag
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Dude, I wandered around outside the arena for half of the 1st half trying to get a ticket. No one was selling, everyone was buying.

What was I supposed to do, sneak in?
:p I guess you should have had your wife look instead. :p

former1dog
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
:p I guess you should have had your wife look instead. :p

Well, she was in tow. I guess she could have worn a short skirt, but it was snowing out. ;)

BobZag
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, she was in tow. I guess she could have worn a short skirt, but it was snowing out. ;)

Leggings.

former1dog
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Leggings.

:lmao:

kylasdad
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
As a BYU grad I would like to see the Mormon vs Catholic bash!! BYU has been a pretty decent team the last few years but is definately far from being an Ok State/Georgetown/Oregon/etc. It seems to be getting pretty late in the game to nail down a big time opponent??? But what do I know, I graduated from BYU!

Nevtelen
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
BYU was pretty good last year and not bad at all the year before. They're traditionally pretty good. Perhaps not my first choice for the BiS, but I don't think they're a bad opponent at all. I'd probably go.

23dpg
06-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I'd go too. I just don't see BYU as an upgrade over UAB. Both are fine schools and GU could lose to either, but I was hoping for a bigger name.

Nevtelen
06-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I'd wish for a bigger name, too, but BYU is one of the best mids out there I'd say (or was last year and will hopefully be so again - their best players were young, if I recall). UAB... is about as good as a mid-level WCC team with some past history. Hopefully they'll be better this year with Vaden, but still...

thickman1
06-28-2007, 06:58 AM
I still think this is a step back in opponent. When the BiS was created it was to bring a marquee name into Seattle as an opponent. We got that the first year with Missouri (at the time they were #5 or #6 in country). The next year Okie State came calling and they were a highly respected team nationally.

Since that time the game it seems to me the game has become a glorified Bracketbuster game with tilts against UMass and Nevada. If BYU is the opponent then it is still a Bracketbuster type game. I'm all for games against schools like BYU but I think those should be in K2.

I'd rather see the team get a game where the opponent doesn't have more to gain than GU has to lose. Just my opinion of course.

lothar98zag
06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I still think this is a step back in opponent. When the BiS was created it was to bring a marquee name into Seattle as an opponent. We got that the first year with Missouri (at the time they were #5 or #6 in country). The next year Okie State came calling and they were a highly respected team nationally.

Since that time the game it seems to me the game has become a glorified Bracketbuster game with tilts against UMass and Nevada. If BYU is the opponent then it is still a Bracketbuster type game.
Not to be too picky, but BiS order is:

1. Mizzou
2. UMass
3. Ok St.
4. Nev
5. ?????

I'm all for games against schools like BYU but I think those should be in K2.

I'd rather see the team get a game where the opponent doesn't have more to gain than GU has to lose. Just my opinion of course.

Agreed. Hopefully that'll happen.

GoZags
06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Missouri was ranked #3 in the nation when the GU game was played in KeyArena.

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/121303aaa.html

lothar98zag
06-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Since this thread is about the BiS, check out the updated BiS website if you have a few minutes:

http://www.battleinseattle.com/

RenoZag
06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Since this thread is about the BiS, check out the updated BiS website if you have a few minutes:

http://www.battleinseattle.com/

Pargo makes a great "Turtle"

lothar98zag
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Is that real facial hair on Downs? Or is it fake - to match the character he's playing?

Nevtelen
06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Looks fake.

lothar98zag
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Looks fake.
certainly does.

kitzbuel
06-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Don't know how accurate this is, but CSTV here doesn't even project BYU to be the best team in the MWC. It would be nice to get a team that is solid tournament contender for the BiS.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/040307abf.html

MickMick
06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Damn BZ...after enduring the moderator here (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238247&page=1), you are a dream. (a joke) :D

That is one pissed off bunch. You gotta read both pages to get the "feel" of it.

They do have a nice prospect (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2619228) interested

RenoZag
06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Damn BZ...after enduring the moderator here (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238247&page=1), you are a dream. That is one pissed off bunch. You gotta read both pages to get the "feel" of it.

They sure seem convinced they'll be in Seattle on 12/29. . .if they were P.O.'d before, wait until they find out the Vols beat out the Blazers. . .somebody's "source" is full of Oscar Meyer bologna.

ZagNut08
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
wow, and I thought people on this board sipped the kool aid hard

lawzag
06-30-2007, 04:28 PM
wow MM, you sure fueled the fire down in Birmingham!

Now that the Tennessee announcement has been made, most of those folks will be biting their tongues!

MickMick
06-30-2007, 04:38 PM
wow MM, you sure fueled the fire down in Birmingham!

Now that the Tennessee announcement has been made, most of those folks will be biting their tongues!

Carefully read again. It wasn't me that fueled this (at least until they dropped the gloves...whereupon the "welcome to the Kennel" part may have been over the top ;) ). It was them reading this message board...plain and simple.

I was focused on one point...UAB was not BIS. I was never disrespectful to their fine program or to individual members of their message board. I can still post there if that means anything.

I actually registered (and had fine relations/conversation) due to a unrelated thread.

On a final note: what was the original title of this thread?

Big Blazer Fan
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I still hope the GU-UAB home and home (or away and away) is signed, whatever the date for the game is. Contrary to what has been posted on our board, as of Friday no contract had yet been signed. I think this would be a solid series for both of us.

Personally, I think if you guys expect us to come to the Kennel, you need to sack up and play us at Bartow Arena. Only fair, right?

I know that there's been a lot of noise about UAB not being a suitable opponent. We had a down year last season, if you look at the record... but what that does not tell you is that we graduated eight seniors the season before. Part of why Mike Anderson left is that he knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, and he left the cupboard pretty bare. We played last season with eight scholarship players, and two of those had significant injury time. We didn't have a three point sniper or a true point guard either, our slashing SG Paul Delaney played the point instead.

If you look back at the history of the program, UAB is a very solid and proud "mid-major". (I hate that term, but non-BCS is as bad or worse, bah!) We ebbed under Murray Bartow, who worked out about as well for us as Joey Meyer did at DePaul. Mike Davis has recruited extremely well and if nothing else our overall talent level is higher than it has been in many years.

We're going to be much better this season, and the fan base is pumped about it. We're very happy to have you on the schedule, and we don't fear the Zags, even at home. Hell, even with a bad team last year we gave Florida all they wanted, led that game from the jump to under two minutes to go. Our RPI shouldn't hurt y'all either... I look for us to be a solid second in C-USA, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we beat Memphis at least once as we'll likely play them three times.

Hope to see a firm announcement for GU-UAB sometime soon. The Zags would be a first class addition to our schedule, and I think you'll find that we'll hold up our end as far as bringing a great team and a solid record in against you guys. Maybe we'll see some of you here next season... at the Bart! :D

BobZag
07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I hope it gets done, too. It'd be a solid series, and if UAB played in K2, there's no doubt we'd play in Bartow.

Don't take the Battle-Seattle chatter seriously. That game is held in KeyArena and was promised to bring in top programs. Tennessee, UConn and Memphis appear to be the next three foes.

RebornZag
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the great post, BBF. I agree that it'd be a great series, and would welcome a home and home with a game in K2. I've already said a lot about Mike Davis, so I don't need to again. He's a good coach, and was NEVER a good fit at Indiana after Bobby Knight left. UAB has been very exciting to watch, and especially just a couple years ago, and a couple in a row. I think Zags would welcome the match.

I do support Mick Mick as well for speaking his opinion. I think most Zags felt the same way about UAB being in the BIS. I know I did. In fact I said I wouldn't want to pay $60 bucks a head to see THAT GAME in Seattle. I'd go to K2 to see it though. I'm with ya Mick Mick. Don't back down.

RebornZag
07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
GU vs UCONN in BIS. Thats another great game in '08. We'll probably both be in the preseason top 10. And then in '09 GU vs Memphis!!! Wow!!!! We may both be in the top 5 preseason. Wouldn't that be something. Can I say Elite Basketball Program yet? :D

sittingon50
07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I tried to register on your board this weekend, to no avail. I was disappointed reading the thread on your board. Although Zag fans in general don't know your program that well (I suspect mainly due to geography), the knowledgeable ones (which excludes me), respect what Coach Anderson did & what Coach Davis will do. Most would embrace a campus vs campus affair. As was mentioned, the BIS is envisioned as a high profile opponent (at least in the eyes of those same fans).
I can understand some of your fans taking Zag reaction as a diss. In context I don't believe it was meant to be.
Here's hoping we'll meet on the hardwood this year & next.

Big Blazer Fan
07-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Nah, I understood the deal. We're a long way away, and we're a young school. We've had a couple of down patches in the last ten years, and a couple of sweet highs as well. You're one of the top mid-majors and have enough appeal and name recognition to leverage your scheduling.

We're pretty much the opposite superficially. We're coming off a bad season so statistically we look unimpressive, but we have a load of talent that scares people. We've had a hard time getting good opponents unless we want to take a buy game on the road with no return visit. Getting games with Gonzaga and Kentucky shored up our schedule and stirred up the fans. Even if the Kentucky game is a buy game at neutral site (snort) Freedom Hall in Louisville, it's still Kentucky. I would be unsurprised if we beat them. Or y'all. ;)

You can ask folks at Memphis, Louisville (well, maybe not them...), LSU, Kentucky, or Washington if UAB's a threat to beat you. You just don't know us yet. This oughta be a fun series.

MickMick
07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
The year UAB beat Washington in the tournament, the Zags had beaten them for the 6th (or was it 7th?) straight year. I believe that was the UW squad with Nate Robinson on it.

I look for a great matchup with UAB. Call the WCC cannon fodder if you will. Just ask that UNC national champion squad with Marvin Williams, Sean May, and Raymond Felton what they thought of Santa Clara that season. Of course, Steve Nash was a fodder type player for Santa Clara as well. ;)

As for the Battle in Seattle, what Zag fan could forget this BIS moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmY-BXzMc5g&mode=related&search=)?

RenoZag
07-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Is that real facial hair on Downs? Or is it fake - to match the character he's playing?

http://www.battleinseattle.com/images/gonzaga_film_strip_vertical_rotating.gif

You make the call. . .