PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Sun-Times story about the Sky

ID ZAGFAN
05-18-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/5432753-419/skys-sylvia-fowles-a-reunited-center-with-pokey-chatman-at-helm.html

Sky’s Sylvia Fowles a reunited center with Pokey Chatman at helm

Lots of good stuff about Fowles and Chatman, and this:

One of Chatman’s first statements was to draft Gonzaga’s Courtney Vandersloot with the third overall pick in the WNBA draft last month.

Vandersloot, the first true point guard in Sky history, finished her college career with 2,073 points and 1,118 assists — the first Division  I player, male or female, to have more than 2,000 points and 1,000 assists.

‘‘I’ve only been here for about a week, and I already feel like I’ve learned a lot,’’ Vandersloot said. ‘‘Pokey wants to play a little bit of a faster pace, and that goes right into what I’m used to and my style of play.

‘‘The level of competition is a lot greater, but this is a great place for me to be, and the veterans are willing to help.’’

For at least the last three seasons, the 6-6 Fowles has been the Sky’s centerpiece. The addition of another high draft pick in Vandersloot could change that status down the road, but not if Chatman has anything to say about it.

‘‘[Don’t be] so quick to anoint her the chosen one,’’ Chatman said. ‘‘She’s thirsty and wants to learn, and I think she will grow into that role. The point guard commands that respect. But she needs her time to transition to this level with the physicality and speed.’’

ZaGranny