PDA

View Full Version : Please save that open scholie for 2012

BobZag
05-17-2011, 08:59 AM
With a loaded 2012 class, use the open scholie to help a walkon or two this coming season, then go after some of that top talent in 2012. It simply makes sense. Don't panic and go willy nilly again trying to fill the roster for 2011-12.

Please...with sugar on it...

Reborn
05-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Great idea BZ. I agree. We have plenty of talent this year.

jpwils
05-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Defensively Hart made some huge plays in big games for us against SMC last season.

Stockton made things happen consistently last season on both ends of the floor- especially in WCC play.

If he's not already- I heartily suggest we take care of either Hart or Hart and Stockton to reward great effort. Both those guys are deserving in my view.

We can only play so many guys and give enough minutes to the deserving.

zagfan24
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
IMO an added plus is that waiting gives the staff a chance to watch the many newcomers this year and get a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each. This means that players targeted for 2012 will be best able to address any shortcomings that come up.

229SintoZag
05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
We can have our cake and eat it too.

Use that scholly on the best player available this year. Who knows--maybe we find a diamond in the rough.

If we need spots next year, we use some of the spots vacated by next year's transfer class. We are bound to lose at least one or two kids if recent history is an example.

Tell me where my approach is wrong....

BobZag
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
We can have our cake and eat it too.

Use that scholly on the best player available this year. Who knows--maybe we find a diamond in the rough.

If we need spots next year, we use some of the spots vacated by next year's transfer class. We are bound to lose at least one or two kids if recent history is an example.

Tell me where my approach is wrong....

Last time the coaches panicked and took the best they could get, they got a kid who will play for Fairfield next year. Nuff said.

229SintoZag
05-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Last time the coaches panicked and took the best they could get, they got a kid who will play for Fairfield next year. Nuff said.

True.

But were the coaches panicking when we failed to get Kasun and wound up with Turiaf?

Just sayin....

And what would you say the odds are that nobody will transfer out after next season?

CDC84
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Finding hidden gem high school players in the spring is like going to a used CD store and trying to find a copy of Sgt. Pepper in the Beatles section. It rarely happens. Unless it's a juco, or unless you can recruit guys like John Wall, you're better off scouting for the next class or hitting the golf course.

I would save every schoolie I could for 2012. It's a rich, deep class filled with an unusual amount of talented big men.

MDABE80
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Sinto...yes exactly that "But were the coaches panicking when we failed to get Kasun and wound up with Turiaf?"

We got real lucky on that one. Our luck in the willy nilly panic mode has been plain awful.

We don't need more this year. I think we should be saving it for someone who drops out of the sky. Kinda like pricing a property...you can always go down but you can't go up. Let's keep our options WIDE open. With a scholarship comes not 1 but 2 or more years tieing up a slot. I don't think we want to tie up multiple years on a kid that might not or might (operant word is MIGHT) be the one we want or need. Let's find that perfect kid.

Come one come all.......just for 2012.

MickMick
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
With a loaded 2012 class, use the open scholie to help a walkon or two this coming season, then go after some of that top talent in 2012. It simply makes sense. Don't panic and go willy nilly again trying to fill the roster for 2011-12.

Please...with sugar on it...

This was my thinking as well BZ (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=668074#post668074)
Nice to know someone else wants this as well.

From the above link:

Give the scholie to Hart and invite another walk on. Let's see how much MM has improved and what Landry adds.

I'm happy with the team as is. Very excited for Kraziness in the Kennel.

Hoopaholic
05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I said just that two weeks ago when we were doing the dance with the Jones young man and I got ripped in half for suggesting such a thing...but that is ok because it has worked out to the best of us:D

Sinto my only issue is when you go "willy nilly" as BZ terminology puts it the opportunity to do a complete assessment and ensure chemistry and integration into the team game usually takes a back seat and the negative unintended consequences can be devastating for a team with morale issues, bickering behind closed doors, bickering in public, side "acts" going on taking away from the focus and mission

I say eat it, give it to one of our walk ons and start looking hard for the next piece of the puzzle for 2012

ZagsObserver
05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I couldn't agree more, BZ.

"Use that scholly on the best player available this year. Who knows--maybe we find a diamond in the rough."

Sinto - Sure, most things are possible. However, it's far more likely that you'll end up with a better player if you wait until next year when the crop isn't picked over. We are looking for the highest probability of success right, not the fact that something is possible, therefore we should pursue that route?

229SintoZag
05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Saving scholarships seems like a quaint concept when we can pretty much count on a player or two or three leaving after every season once their playing time on the court does not coincide with what that player had in mind when he came aboard.

It's like finishing a golf tournament with unused mulligans. Or letting gift certificates expire.

It sounds harsh, but if we need to free up schollies, we can easily do it. And we probably have in many instances, if the truth were known.

Los Gatos Zag
05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
BZ, you got vision, others are wearing bifocals (apologizes to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid).

MDABE80
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Mulligans is one thing but young kids are another. Otherwise we just get a kid and lose him.

We have enough right now to develop further. I don't think we have a FF team next year unless something big happens or someone(s) blows up.
It's fine by me. It's the core...and we have a superior core.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Sinto has a good point. But can/should the staff plan on having someone transfer? It seems that maybe Gonzaga should try to avoid that scenario in the next couple years, if possible, to distance themselves from the onslaught of transfers in the last few years, which does have the potential to leave a bit of a stench in recruiting circles.

Zig-Zag
05-17-2011, 07:47 PM
I believe BobZag will get his wish.