PDA

View Full Version : Guy Landry gets to spokane June 25th

greenlakesteve
05-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Glad to hear he will be there all summer to work with the team..

He responded to me via twitter @lightningsoup:D

jpwils
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Already he is showing a high b-ball IQ !!

Coach Crazy
05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Already he is showing a high b-ball IQ !!

How so?

Drew
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
How so?

I expect he means by showing up early.

Coach Crazy
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
I expect he means by showing up early.

I know. Then what does that say to those that don't come early, and may even come late?

jpwils
05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
It says they are willing to gamble on their spot still being wide open and will
sacrifice team chemistry for their own international or national gain.

Now Sacre and Harris and Carter seem to have nailed down spots if they remain injury-free. To some degree Stockton, Olynyk, And Dower have done the same....but if I were a an incoming newbie I would not roll the dice this year on a spot being available whenever I get there. Just sayin...

Radbooks
05-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh, I just think summer school must start around then. I know that Gary Bell mentioned in an interview that he was going to be here on June 25th too.

jpwils
05-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Becoming fully immersed in terms of getting to know teammates, coaches, system and culture is priceless.

Bell is showing that he also gets it and will contribute from Day 1. Smart!

MickMick
05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I read a thread somewhere (I think possibly Wichita State) and some folks were commenting that it seems Landry has been around forever (with respect to recruiting news).

Guy is a veteran mercenary and when it comes to filling immediate needs, that ain't all bad.

bballbeachbum
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM
bring it, man. take full advantage and go for it

77Zag
05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Oh, I just think summer school must start around then. I know that Gary Bell mentioned in an interview that he was going to be here on June 25th too.

That is exactly correct - Summer Session begins on June 27th first day of classes. All new frosh players will arrive on the weekend of June 25th for housing and orientation.

Go Zags!

Pargo the Destroyer
05-16-2011, 08:19 AM
And June 25th is Hoopfest weekend. The best weekend of the year in the 509

DADoZAG
05-16-2011, 08:23 AM
And June 25th is Hoopfest weekend. The best weekend of the year in the 509

Second request: Will the frosh be at the Hoopfest GU Booth?

GoZAGS!

DixieZag
05-16-2011, 05:47 PM
It says they are willing to gamble on their spot still being wide open and will
sacrifice team chemistry for their own international or national gain.

Now Sacre and Harris and Carter seem to have nailed down spots if they remain injury-free. To some degree Stockton, Olynyk, And Dower have done the same....but if I were a an incoming newbie I would not roll the dice this year on a spot being available whenever I get there. Just sayin...

How many guys do you suppose have a chance to play in international tournaments for their country? It is limited, for the most part, for American players - but the ones that qualify - generally go. I fully agree that from a selfish Zag point of view, I think it best for new guys to hang around on campus over the summer, but just as many of the American kids would be enticed to play for team USA - - If they had the chance. Our Canadian, German and French players have opportunites that very few have - and when I put myself in their place, I don't blame them a bit.

Also, we are down on international play b/c we saw Kelly come back looking lost and Elias looking injured and therefore overweight, it seems unlucky b/c I would think that at least as many players would gain considerable experience and be better for it.

ExtremeJim
05-17-2011, 06:38 AM
And June 25th is Hoopfest weekend.

Emblematic of how Saint Mary's will feel when they bring their customary 6-man rotation to Spokane next winter to face the 14 Zags who will play, June 25th will mark the 135th anniversary of what the Plains Indians call "The Battle of the Greasy Grass," aka "Custer's Last Stand."

They will all be "rubbed out."

SLOZag
05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Our Canadian, German, Ivory Coast and French players have opportunites that very few have - and when I put myself in their place, I don't blame them a bit.

Our roster is beginning to look like the attendance roster at a United Nations social function!

bigblahla
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Emblematic of how Saint Mary's will feel when they bring their customary 6-man rotation to Spokane next winter to face the 14 Zags who will play, June 25th will mark the 135th anniversary of what the Plains Indians call "The Battle of the Greasy Grass," aka "Custer's Last Stand."

They will all be "rubbed out."

+1

I like it a lot!

Go!! Zags!!

ronh_pm
05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
and all around general #### disturber..

Sam's tweet yesterday afternoon

"Finally my bro @BigKelz13 is back. Now waiting for mr carter to get back then its time get it goin"

jpwils
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Last year Harris , including injuries, played valiantly ,but REGRESSED in most people's minds- cost himself getting drafted this year. At times Dower produced alot more.

KO, despite rave reviews from his Canadian coaches, did not shine as expected. Dower, a redshirt looked more low-post capable. Where is Kelly going to see the most minutes this year????

IF either or BOTH of these players could get it together next season ALL season...Gonzaga will make a deep run in the postseason.

I understand that it would be almost impossible to give up playing for one's
country....but wouldn't it be nice to be able to do less stuff for country
and more for their TEAM???

You can make an argument either way- but EH or KO bottom line need to play some minutes at Wing next year to make enough room for everybody on the roster minutes-wise. Are they working at it in-house????

MDABE80
05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Boy what I wouldn't give for a shotblocking rebounder with some length. I' thinking we need a talented BIG. I hope our wing is getting lots of attention...we need a deadeye 3 .

MickMick
05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Boy what I wouldn't give for a shotblocking rebounder with some length. I' thinking we need a talented BIG. I hope our wing is getting lots of attention...we need a deadeye 3 .

I can envision Hoff as that dead eye three. He was, after all, only a true freshman that saw some significant time.

OZZY
05-19-2011, 05:34 PM
It wasn't just rave reviews from his coaches.

He actually was playing against NBA and high level European players and playing well. Several of the bigger Euro clubs made approaches because they where impressed with KO. The Canadian coaching staff gave him an opportunity to play Senior ball after he played well on the development team earlier in the summer. They showed a lot of confidence in him and supported him even when he made mistakes..... Kelly relished the opportunity and the support as any teenager would.

Reborn
05-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Being on campus to play with your teammates and to work on your game will only help the team next year. There is going to be intense competition for playing time next year, and I think those who stay on campus will have an edge. I'm glad to see some of our verterans staying here to help the incoming class of players. This will help our Freshmen a lot. I'm glad to see that there will be a lot of vets on campus.

jpwils
05-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Regarding KO, I think the earlier poster has great points- as far as individual
kudos in Canada go....

My point was if Kelly expects playing time, is he gaining on it regarding playing either a pick n pop game at the 3 or whatever it is that the coaching staff would expect in a "3 bigs in at the same time scenario" by playing developmental/ senior Canadian ball?? Last year fell short despite the occasional glimpse of potential. All these summer international glimpses are nothing compared to STARTING FOR YOUR COLLEGE TEAM!!!!

To me its obvious that Sacre will play 27 minutes or so as will Harris( more if they are scoring well/rebounding well/staying out of foul trouble). Dower is more than capable of starting on most teams and at times his scoring in the low post dictates starter's minutes/emphasis in the offense.

KO could create matchup problems at the 3 but will be competing with
Monninghoff, Landry, and the " 3 guard attack" that would move Carter over to a 3 and keep Bell and Pangos or Stockton in ( whoever is playing best).

In the end the TEAM is best served , though, if KO or Harris can play some 3 and guard people and score on people. ARE these guys working on this???

Juskickenit2
05-20-2011, 08:38 AM
redshirt!

jpwils
05-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Minutes-wise, this makes sense.

But there is no guarantee here..

But does KO really have the skillset of a true 4- he has the size of a 5 but the skillset is incomplete in my view for a 3 or a 4 .

If Spangler develops properly and if we recruit another solid big, we are just
DELAYING the problem even if he agrees to redshirt.

Working on his strength, conditioning, and back to the basket-game could help us more THIS year since Sacre and Harris at times are both foul-prone.

I remember Jay Bilas being extremely high on KO his freshman year- now it is time to find a way to use/develop his talents. I like his basketball IQ but am tired of seeing him sit the bench- go KO!!!!!!

Anybody else have a solution besides redshirting a valuable junior??

former1dog
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Being on campus to play with your teammates and to work on your game will only help the team next year. There is going to be intense competition for playing time next year, and I think those who stay on campus will have an edge. I'm glad to see some of our verterans staying here to help the incoming class of players. This will help our Freshmen a lot. I'm glad to see that there will be a lot of vets on campus.

Just out of curiosity Reborn, how was this whole concept handled in your day? Did you and your teammates stick around GU and play pick up in the summer? I'm guessing most of you guys had to work in the summer?

Just curious.

Ebay
05-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Could not agree more. Remember the jump that WSU team with Low, Weaver, Cowgill etc. made in that one summer? Those guys hung out at the gym everyday during the summer getting to know each other on the court. I know there is not much else to do in Pullman during a summer, but how cool would it be to see our guys make a leap like that team did. They went from the bottom of the Pac-10 to I believe a sweet 16 team. Is that correct? They even lost their leading scorer to transferring(forget his name, think it started with an A and he went to a cali school). A summer together paid great dividends to that team. We could be great with a summer together.

Reborn
05-20-2011, 01:13 PM
WSU did make it to the Sweet 16 that year, and did have a great team. They had a couple really good guards. Bennot was coaching at the time andtheyplayed really good defense.

Reborn
05-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Just out of curiosity Reborn, how was this whole concept handled in your day? Did you and your teammates stick around GU and play pick up in the summer? I'm guessing most of you guys had to work in the summer?

Just curious.

Players did NOT stay on campus and play together in the summers. Yes. I know I had to work in the summers. You must remember that this was GU basketball in the late 60's though. It's different now, from AAU to Div 1, basketball is somewhat different today. Some things don't change though. If you want to be good, you must play a lot and shoot a lot. I know I spent 3 hours a day playing and shooting in the summers after working 8 hours a day in the orchards in Yakima where it was 90-100 degrees most of the summer. I was also fortunate because Ted Wierman and Lenny Allen, two starters for WSU at the same time, were from Yakima and we played all the time at the YMCA. There were also guys who were great in high school but went on to play football in college who also played at the Y. Gugys like Del Carmichael (WSU startting fullback) and Steve Dale (USC running back).

From the 4th grade on when I had any free time at all I was shooting baskets. I played outdoors all Spring, Summer and Fall, and indoors in the winter. I was one of thos kids who'd be in the gym during the winter from the time the gym opened until it closed, waiting for halftime and timeouts during all the CYO basketball games just so I could shoot the ball. Back when I was growing up the outdoor hoops had chains on them instead of nets, and I loved the sound of those chains, a popping, clanking sound, vs the swishing sound of the nets. No matter what year we are in (1960 or 2060) nothing will ever take the place of spending hours shooting the ball, and playing as many pick-up games as you can. In short, nothing replaces hard work. When most of my friends were out having fun in the summer and on weekend, I was shooting a ball and lifting weights, or running. The key for conditioning for me was to never get out of shape.

MickMick
05-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Back when I was growing up the outdoor hoops had chains on them instead of nets, and I loved the sound of those chains, a popping, clanking sound, vs the swishing sound of the nets.

Those chain nets were really cool. In the schoolyard I played in, once in a while, the ball would get stuck if the chains didn't realign properly from the last "swish". Then a guy would have to jump up to knock it lose. Gave you some extra time to get back on defense. At least that was my experience with them.

You can't replace that cool sound.

Nice story Reborn :).

MDABE80
05-20-2011, 07:19 PM
"From the 4th grade on when I had any free time at all I was shooting baskets. I played outdoors all Spring, Summer and Fall, and indoors in the winter. I was one of thos kids who'd be in the gym during the winter from the time the gym opened until it closed, waiting for halftime and timeouts during all the CYO basketball games just so I could shoot the ball. Back when I was growing up the outdoor hoops had chains on them instead of nets, and I loved the sound of those chains, a popping, clanking sound, vs the swishing sound of the nets. No matter what year we are in (1960 or 2060) nothing will ever take the place of spending hours shooting the ball, and playing as many pick-up games as you can. In short, nothing replaces hard work" says Reborn.

Could we freeze this? Instead of the "way back machine" we should figure out a way to have this thought and Reborn do a hologram from the 60's in the locker room in front of the present kids. If there is talent and hard work, almost nothing will beat this.

I loved those old chain nets. We used em all the time. Harder to steal too. Still see them is LA on playgrounds during the Winter months.

Good post Reborn......people who want to achieve should read and reread it.