• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

2012 West Coast Sleepers

By Scout's Greg Hicks:

Ben Carter, 6-8 PF Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman. Frankly, I wasn’t a big Carter fan two years ago. But a lot has changed since then...

Calaen Robinson, 6-1 SG Tempe (Calif.) Corona Del Sol. A lefty with a quick release, deep range and ability to create his own shot...

Grant Verhoeven, 6-7 PF Visalia (Calif.) Central Valley Christian. Verhoeven is a very deceptive athlete with a tough and bruising type of game...

Richard Longrus, 6-6 PF/SF Oakland (Calif.) Bishop O’Dowd. Longrus is an above-average athlete, good rebounder and very good defender...

Zena Edosomwan, 6-7 C/PF North Hollywood (Calif.) Harvard-Westlake. Edosomwan has made huge strides in the last two years...
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Not that GU doesn't need great athletes, but I want guys that can shoot the ball.

Now if you get a guy that has it all, he is a lottery pick. Zags probably won't land a lottery pick.

So in order:

1) Great Shooter
    2) BB IQ/Attitude
    3) Athleticism
    4) Rebounder
    5) Defender

I put it in the prioity of what is most difficult to teach (minus athleticism) in a short 4 years. You can eventually teach a guy to defend and rebound. I don't know if you can quickly teach a guy to be a great scorer.

This is why I believe Monninghoff has some upside. Give him another year or two to aquire a more complete skill set and he always has that sweet stroke to fall back on.

I grow weary of taking pure athletes and trying to turn them into scorers, passers, or thinkers. Such players can play important roles and there is always room for a couple, but the fate of the team should not be dictated by such players. This is why I'm excited about Pangos. He brings diverse skills to the table immediately.

Of BZ's list, Calaen Robinson(love the drive at 2:09) fits the fore mentioned criteria best.
    Last edited by MickMick; 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• theothegreat21
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
      By Scout's Greg Hicks:

Ben Carter, 6-8 PF Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman. Frankly, I wasn’t a big Carter fan two years ago. But a lot has changed since then...

Calaen Robinson, 6-1 SG Tempe (Calif.) Corona Del Sol. A lefty with a quick release, deep range and ability to create his own shot...

Grant Verhoeven, 6-7 PF Visalia (Calif.) Central Valley Christian. Verhoeven is a very deceptive athlete with a tough and bruising type of game...

Richard Longrus, 6-6 PF/SF Oakland (Calif.) Bishop O’Dowd. Longrus is an above-average athlete, good rebounder and very good defender...

Zena Edosomwan, 6-7 C/PF North Hollywood (Calif.) Harvard-Westlake. Edosomwan has made huge strides in the last two years...

Longrus, Demarquise Johnson, Skylar Spencer and Tyrone Wallace. With Donny on board it's time to focus on some of the top West Coast talent and that group would be pretty special for 2012. Nice balance in talents and skill set and all four are athletes.
      ONIONS!!!!!!

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cggonzaga
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Longrus, Demarquise Johnson, Skylar Spencer and Tyrone Wallace. With Donny on board it's time to focus on some of the top West Coast talent and that group would be pretty special for 2012. Nice balance in talents and skill set and all four are athletes.
        While this would be a bumper crop, do think we really need Wallace? With Pangos, Stocks, Bell and Dranginis all capable of handling the ball I'm worried Wallace would get lost in the mix. He doesn't sound like the type to redshirt. I'd take him out and insert Bennett or another athletic big man.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by theothegreat21 View Post
          If there's another scholie, I'd sure like to see Anthony Bennett or Robert Upshaw in that crop. A longshot, I know, but still.......
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

Working...
          X