PDA

View Full Version : 56 players

CDC84
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=88&cfg=bb&yr=2007

According to talent scout Dave Telep, there are 56 prep players in the 2007 class that are better or have more upside than incoming Zag Austin Daye.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=41&yr=2007&cfg=bb

According to Telep, there are 28 shooting guards in the 2007 class that are better or have more upside than incoming Zag Steven Gray.

.....in a couple of years, let's revisit these rankings............

ZagNative
06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
From a DraftExpress.com story in March a year ago, about a couple of big misses by Telep:

Chat With Dave Telep

by: Jonathan Watters - Director of NCAA Scouting
March 10, 2006

Jonathan Watters: How much stock should we put in a top 100 list like yours?

Dave Telep: I would hope that you could put a significant amount of stock in it. It is hard, though.

Jonathan Watters: I wanted to ask you about a couple of players that were somewhat unknown at the high school level, but have really exploded in college. Did you see Adam Morrison back in the day?

Dave Telep: Morrison (ranked by Scout.com as the #26 SF in the class of 2003) was probably one of the last ten or fifteen we excluded from our top 100 list. I saw him play in a tournament in Las Vegas with an eastern Washington team. At the time he was 6í5 and very thin. Heís just a different guy than the one who came out of high school.

Jonathan Watters: Was Gonzaga really the only school that offered Morrison?

Dave Telep: They got it done really early, so there really wasnít much of a chance for anybody else.

Jonathan Watters: The other guy I wanted to ask you about is Tyrus Thomas...

Dave Telep: Iíve got a story on Tyrus Thomas. Thomas played for the Louisiana Dream Team with another player youíve probably heard of named Martin Zeno, now of Texas Tech. When I saw him at AAU nationals, he was very thin, absolutely in need of weight. Thomas was a guy who was talented and probably hitting his stride as a late bloomer, which taught me a lesson.

I look at a kid like Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State, #61), who is in our top 100 this year. Varnado is doing the same kind of things that Thomas was doing in the second half of his high school career. We didnít have Tyrus Thomas in the top 100, and put Jarvis Varnado in the top 100 to not make a mistake like that again. Similar to Thomas, he's a guy that doesnít have a ready for college body but you can tell is blooming.

Morrison and Thomas are two guys that Iíve looked back and seen where we have made mistakes. It is really the same thing with both guys, in that they werenít ready physically but were really peaking late. With a player like Varnardo or a Perry Stevenson (committed to Kentucky, #60), I want to make sure we donít miss on those guys that have similar characteristics. You have to be willing to learn from your mistakes and self evaluate.

Learn from your mistakes? Hmmm....

CDC84
06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
To be fair, everyone missed on Adam. Well, Gonzaga didn't, but every recruiting analyst around.

The difference with Daye and Gray is that other analysts (like Meyer, Coleman, Gibbons) feel differently about them than Telep does.

former1dog
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but has Telep commented on Daye or Gray?

And, if so, what exactly was the gist of his comments?

J-Mac Zag Forever
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
A couple years ago we would have wet our pants to get top 100 kids. Today were getting them and we complain. the coaches did wonders with unranked kids, it scares me what they can do with ranked kids. to quote another poster, "YIKES".