PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Shining at Training Camp

Angelo Roncalli
05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
My original thought for today was to write a thorough recap of how practice went while placing a more detailed emphasis on Chicago Sky players Sylvia Fowles, Shameka Christon, and Courtney Vandersloot.

However, Courtney Vandersloot’s thrilling performance today trumped that idea. Fast.

There is no other way to say it; day two of the USA Basketball Women’s National Team training camp in Las Vegas belonged to rookie point guard, and third overall pick, Courtney Vandersloot. Sky fans, trust me, you have a lot to be excited about in 2011.

In case you were wondering, here are the exact notes I wrote down in my notebook after seeing Vandersloot play today:
- “Vision is incredible.”
- “Use of angles is terrific. Impressive.”
- “Doesn’t play like a rookie.”
- “Natural. Can’t teach this stuff.”

It wasn’t just that she was making shots or taking care of the ball; it was how she created multiple scoring opportunities for her teammates and meticulously placed her passes so they could shoot right away. Good point guards get the ball to open players; great ones get the ball in the precise spot they like to receive it – Vandersloot does exactly that.

Furthermore, she played like a veteran against the best in the world without skipping a beat. Vandersloot has unanimously been one of the biggest stand-outs at camp thus far and has impressed her fellow teammates and coaches. Still, the humble Vandersloot just wants to soak up everything she can during this unique experience.

http://www.wnba.com/sky/news/courtney_vandersloot_shines_at_2011_05_12.html

webspinnre
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Awesome. Sounds like she's really turning heads.

sylean
05-12-2011, 04:00 PM
so the world learns about Courtney Vandersloot.....I only wish I had gone to more games when she was here....luckily, I caught a few this year....

congrats Courtney......you make us all proud....

bballguy
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I was lucky enough to see her a lot! My friend and I were always shaking our heads at stuff she did. Best catch phrase of the year, "you've been Slooted"!
I wish this thread could be moved to the mens board. They need some cheering up.

ID ZAGFAN
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I was lucky enough to see her a lot! My friend and I were always shaking our heads at stuff she did. Best catch phrase of the year, "you've been Slooted"!
I wish this thread could be moved to the mens board. They need some cheering up.

No, no, a thousand times, no!!!

The negative Nellies on the MBB would find some way to make her success a negative!

We were able to see Courtney and the other Lady Zags about ten times this year--it was really wonderful.

Looking forward to seeing the Lady Zags again next year.

ZaGranny

kitzbuel
05-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Could it be possible that she is the best basketball player to come out of GU? She has several years to go, but seems to have everything she needs to get there.

I am going to have to start watching WNBA with my daughters this season.

ID ZAGFAN
05-13-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/womens/2011/05/womens-national-team-training-camp-recap/

"Courtney Vandersloot, Chicago Sky: Vandersloot was probably the player who stood-out to me the most. Vandersloot’s use of angles and passing lanes reminded me very much of a Sue Bird/John Stockton hybrid (Stockton worked with her extensively at Gonzaga). With Vandersloot running the point, Epiphanny Prince and Shameka Christon scoring the ball, and Sylvia Fowles holding it down in the post the Sky look to be playoff-bound."

"- Sue Bird and Lindsay Whalen graciously offered tips and suggestions to rookie Courtney Vandersloot who soaked up everything she could."

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/051311aaa.html

hen there was Courtney. She was competing with the likes of Sue Bird, the greatest point guard in the world, Kara Lawson, Renee Montgomery, Lindsay Whalen, Lindsey Harding at the point position and she did very well. Everyone I talked to were very impressed with her abilities, court savvy, and competitiveness but also with her skill and determination. There was no question that she was one of the bright spots at camp and everyone was talking about her with the same kind of buzz that followed her at the Final Four and the WNBA Draft. At one point during scrimmage, she assisted three plays, hit a 3-pointer and made a pull-up jump shot in the space of just a few minutes. Courtney and Sue [Bird] are similar players in that they get the ball to the right people at the right time. They just have an understanding of what’s going on on the floor at all times. I think that’s what separates them from other point guards—they can score but they are thinking pass first and keeping the team organized. Defensively, she played very well (thought this might be an area of weakness). She did not seem intimidated even though she was the only one there who did not play in a power conference and was one of the two youngest players invited. She assumed control and played with the same passion and cool that we’ve come to expect around here.

I am so glad I went. I am so proud of Courtney and wish her the best in her professional career. She left the UNLV practice facility and went directly to the airport headed for Chicago, hoping to make the Bulls-Heat playoff opener. Derek Rose is the NBA MVP but in my opinion, he’s the second best point guard in the city. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

Nice photo of courtney with this article, also a video of a Courtney interview. (might have been posted earlier.)

By the way, thanks to kgzag's twitter for these two links.

ZaGranny