PDA

View Full Version : Katz: Revised Preseason Top 25

CDC84
05-09-2011, 01:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=6513197

25. Gonzaga

The defending WCC champs lose only two players: Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson, who is off to Texas A&M to play football. The rest of this team returns and it should be one of the best in the West again, with Elias Harris, Sam Dower, Marquise Carter and David Stockton as the core. It will be joined by a recruiting class that Mark Few said he believes could be one of the best he's had, with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos arriving to form the backcourt of the present and future.

CDC84
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
From Katz's chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38380

Question:

What should I take away from the number of recent Gonzaga transfers (7 in the past year and half)? Poor recruiting, poor player development or the evolution of a program where there simply aren't enough minutes to go around?

Andy Katz:

I wouldn't read too much into it. Gonzaga is doing fine. The Goodson transfer doesn't mean much.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
From Katz's chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38380

i wouldn't expect any critcisim of few by katz. take it for what its worth. on the other hand, i like the sound of "backcourt of the PRESENT." again, few basically owns katz so this is ok w the coach.

johno
He missed Sacre!

BobZag
25. Gonzaga

The defending WCC champs lose only two players: Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson, who is off to Texas A&M to play football. The rest of this team returns and it should be one of the best in the West again, with Elias Harris, Sam Dower, Marquise Carter and David Stockton as the core. It will be joined by a recruiting class that Mark Few said he believes could be one of the best he's had, with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos arriving to form the backcourt of the present and future.

Does this last line make anyone else as happy as it does me? :)

I think we're better than #25, but I'm biased so #25 it is. (I still think we belong higher.)

Gufan
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
No Sacre listed as a "core" player. Must be transferring I guess.

Seriously, how does Katz leave him out of that conversation? Jeez..

webspinnre
05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Its a chat, he's answering quickly. Easy to make silly mistakes.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
The Sacre omission was from his top 25 article, not his chat. Still easy to miss a key contributor from a team or two. No biggie.

cjm720
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
i wouldn't expect any critcisim of few by katz. take it for what its worth. on the other hand, i like the sound of "backcourt of the PRESENT." again, few basically owns katz so this is ok w the coach.

I'll take Katz's spin over Jazz's spin any day of the week!!!!!

CDC84
05-09-2011, 02:38 PM
With Katz......

Question:

Andy...you left Rob Sacre out of your discussion of Gonzaga. Do you think with him in mind that we might move a little higher in your preseason Top 25? Or does the loss of two veteran guards do most of the damage?

Andy Katz

I shouldn't have. I like this Gonzaga team next season as one of the best in the West.

MDABE80
05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
THEE very best after New Years. Not worried about what I just typed. It'll happen.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Does this last line make anyone else as happy as it does me? :)

I think we're better than #25, but I'm biased so #25 it is. (I still think we belong higher.)

beezer, beat you to it....

ZagNative
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Gary Parrish has the Zags at #22 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15047271/top-25-and-one-rosters-settle-after-withdrawal-deadline).

VinnyZag
05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Parrish's post is already out of date. He's got Mark Turgeon as coach at Texas A&M.

Those rankings, in the 20s, seem about right to me. Maybe, if the freshmen really are as good as you-all think, the Zags could climb into the mid-teens. But the top 10 or 12 teams -- with all those guys like Barnes and Sullinger and T.Jones back -- appear to be clearly superior.

gopackgozags
05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I think our ranking in the 20's shows the writers respect the amount of potential that exists on this team but are just being cautiously optimistic until we see what sort of contributions we get from GBJ, Pangos, and the rest. I'd much rather start low and begin to climb as our new guards begin to adjust to D1.

ZagNative
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Jeff-Goodman-early-preseason-Top-25-051011) has the Zags in at #18:
18. GONZAGA
Lose: Steven Gray, Demetri Goodson.
Key returnees: Elias Harris, Robert Sacre, Sam Dower, Kelly Olynyk, Marquise Carter, David Stockton.
Newcomers: Gary Bell, Kevin Pangos, Ryan Spangler, Kyle Dranginis.
Note: The 'Zags lose Gray, but still have a couple of studs up front in Harris and Sacre. The key again will be point guard play and whether Pangos can help Stockton and Carter.

BobZag
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
#18 is more like it. :)

MickMick
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
#18 is more like it. :)

Not good enough.

Needs to be a national championship or the King will behead his wife.

Oregonzagnut
05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm still amazed that Meech has chosen to leave a pre-season #18 team. Pre-season top 25 AGAIN, another serious run at "The WCC Streak" and another NCAA tournament is still likely (knock on wood).

I can't believe anyone would leave Gonzaga right now voluntarily.

ZagsGoZags
05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
He might be imagining future chances for NFL money

compared to

future chances for NBA money

I would if I were him, I think ....

I would try to stand in his shoes but they're moving too fast

MDABE80
05-11-2011, 10:57 PM
If Meech's future was in the NBA, he would have staed. It's not. IF he has a future in American Pro Sports, it'll be football. He really believes that. I guess if I was in his shoes, I'd try for a career in the NFL too.

jazzdelmar
05-12-2011, 03:14 AM
its very unusual to see preseason summaries include that many freshmen names. in some individual cases you might see a five star mentioned and with teams like duke and unc most of the newcomers are already basketball celebs.

most of the time, the coach and the s.i.d. are loathe to offer the names of any any untested players to the media (all this stuff is generated by the college and edited by the so called gurus; you don't think katz and goodman actually do any leg work, do you?). so one could assume that few and his gang are really enthusiastic about the newbies. and that segues to meech. again, one could assume few was brutally honest about the young man's chances for playing time next year...

Radbooks
05-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Oh, come on Jazz, every college yearbook I've ever looked at lists the names of the newcomers. I don't know who puts these lists together but I think it'd be pretty easy for Katz to click over to his own :espn: website where it lists all of the new recruits, which shows the Zags as having an incoming class that is right on the edge of the top 25 this year.

I'd link to it but it's an insider article.

its very unusual to see preseason summaries include that many freshmen names. in some individual cases you might see a five star mentioned and with teams like duke and unc most of the newcomers are already basketball celebs.

most of the time, the coach and the s.i.d. are loathe to offer the names of any any untested players to the media (all this stuff is generated by the college and edited by the so called gurus; you don't think katz and goodman actually do any leg work, do you?). so one could assume that few and his gang are really enthusiastic about the newbies. and that segues to meech. again, one could assume few was brutally honest about the young man's chances for playing time next year...

jazzdelmar
05-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Oh, come on Jazz, every college yearbook I've ever looked at lists the names of the newcomers. I don't know who puts these lists together but I think it'd be pretty easy for Katz to click over to his own :espn: website where it lists all of the new recruits, which shows the Zags as having an incoming class that is right on the edge of the top 25 this year.

I'd link to it but it's an insider article.

in the various mags that come out in the fall, yes. they are essentially written by the sids (i am a former college sid)....and for top programs like the zags the mags go the extra mile for details. im saying that now its unusual to see head coaches hyping newbies (in effect, thats my take on the source for nuggets like katz and goodman write). sportswriters are generally too lazy to dig that deep at this point. jmo, based on experience....

MDABE80
05-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Given that the big time sportwriters likely haven't seen our new faces, it only makes sense that our coaches (outside of the parents) give glowing reports to the press. i.e. the press (inthe plural sense) know what we tell them.

Few must be very very high on the new kids. I would be too.

ZagNative
05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Sporting News has the Zags at #20 (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-19/2011-12-preseason-college-basketball-top-25-north-carolina-kentucky-ohio-state/slide/20).

That the Zags were handled so easily in the NCAA Tournament should not obscure their dramatic improvement with Marquise Carter in the lineup. They found something in him. The frontcourt featuring Robert Sacre and Elias Harris is better than most.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-19/2011-12-preseason-college-basketball-top-25-north-carolina-kentucky-ohio-state/slide/20#ixzz1MqqX9hJU

Reborn
05-20-2011, 06:27 AM
A top 20 ranking certainly will help the Zags in the recruiting process. It's important that Gonzaga is able to show young, blossoming basketball players that Gonzaga Universiity is one of the best places to go to play Division 1 basketball. Even though the basketball season is 5 or 6 months away, I think a top 20 ranking in the polls might help us get a very good athlete like Spencer this summer or next Fall.

Jazz! We've been able to follow Bell and Pangos for a year (or more) now, and I'm convinced that they are that good, and they are a part of the reason that GU is ranked in the top 20. I believe Mark Few knows what he needs to play the kind of basketball he wants to play, and I think he sees Bell and Pangos as key pieces to the puzzle. I understand why you think the way you do about Freshmen, because in the past Freshmen have not really been a part of the Big Picture. However, I think Gonzaga is recruiting much better players now and I think Few believes these two guys CAN contribute in a big way next season. From what I've seen, and read I think they will play a lot next year, and they will contribute.

jazzdelmar
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM
i agree, 'born. as one who has been as hysterical as any with respect to the high expectations of newbies, i am just trying to temper our/my hopes for the class a-coming. but i do see what you see, a special twinkle in the words and thoughts coming out of the zag braintrust. it is particularly exciting that the new kids offer qualities that have been demonstrably lacking in the past few years.

CDC84
05-20-2011, 08:28 AM
The problem with preseason rankings and the Zags is when they have a team with a lot of new players. GU plays an inverted schedule, so instead of the newbies getting to play against a typical BCS "feast at home" type sked which would allow for an impressive record by the end of non-league play, the newbies get thrown into the fire against one top team after the next. Inevitably there are going to be losses. With those losses comes the inevitable overrated chant, even though the team, once it gains more and more experience, might not truly be overrated.