PDA

View Full Version : Dinner table news

hooter73
05-09-2011, 12:19 PM
had a talk with someone who works directly with a member of the coaching staff and while nothing confidential was divulged and none of the news was ground breaking to anyone on this board or who follows the team, I thought it was interesting. Again I am the third party in this game of telephone but its pretty straight forward stuff.

- Goodson leaving was a bit of a shock and the staff was very concerned about him completing his degree.
- KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot.
-Chris S. is a huge unknown sleeper with untold talent and possibilities.
- Stockton is only getting impressively better and better and may be shooting more this year on the court.
- Harris may not play world ball this summer but the others invited to probably will.

Again nothing ground breaking or 100% definitive and the rest is all pretty standard stuff like Harris will most likely leave with Sacre after next year.

hondo
05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
"-Chris S. is a huge unknown sleeper with untold talent and possibilities."
What have I been preaching for the last 3 months?

Ebay
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Mostly good news! Glad to hear that Elias could focus on himself this summer rather than sparingly playing for the German team. I agree with the comments on Chris as well. I saw him play several times, and he will surprise people. Dude has some serious game and will work as hard as anyone else. Encouraging news that Stocks is getting better and better, that can only mean good things for us. I hope Kelly realizes that the coaches are just trying to help him improve the best way they see fit. The guy has crazy potential, just needs the confidence on the court now.

I'm hoping this team(minus the international team guys) spends the summer hanging out in McCarthey shooting hoops and talking trash to each other, all in good fun of course. Just wish we could have all the guys there. But I can't imagine how fulfilling it would be to represent your country in a game you love.

Next season can't come soon enough. Go Zags.

BMAN
05-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Hooter

what does this mean

- KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot

Are they talking to him about redshirting a year.

hooter73
05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Hooter

what does this mean

- KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot

Are they talking to him about redshirting a year.

I didnt really pry and explanations can get screwy after changing ears so many times. I believe the talk was regarding an upcoming RS year. I have no clue about what will happen other then it sounds like KO is not leaving.

The overall feel I got was another young team but in a better spot than the last young GU teams. Im excited

BobZag
05-09-2011, 01:57 PM
As 73 stated, KO was thinking about transferring. There were definite rumblings. My source told me KO is not leaving and was angry that there was a thread about it, wanting me to remove it, which I refused to. But there were rumblings and there was truth to it. So... Apologies to those who were saying as much. My bad.

As for the redshirting issue, I personally think it'd do KO a world of good. It'd be along the lines of what Jeremy Eaton did, or Sean Mallon and Josh Heytvelt. KO is, imo, no better than any of those three old dogs.

As for Stockton, I told y'all years ago to watch out for him. Word from the coaching circle was surprising. Remember, David was ill (tonsil complications) and unable to practice or play pick-up or lift weights all last summer and fall. He could make a huge jump with a healthy offseason. We'll see.

NorthoftheBorder
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. With both Elias and Rob returning it just makes sense that Kelly should redshirt this upcoming season.

If he doesn't redshirt then he will play about 15 minutes per game this upcoming season and about 25 minutes per game the following season.

If he does redshirt then he would get:

(1) an extra year to build up his strength and work on this skills

(2) two seasons of at least 25 minutes per game

(3) the opportunity to play with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos as Sophmores and Juniors instead of as Freshman and Sophmores

(4) the first year of a Master's program paid for.

If he had trasnferred he would have had to redshirt a year anyway and it sounds like he was considering that option.

I can't really see any advantage to Kelly to not redshirt this upcoming season.

Reborn
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Best news for me was about Stockton. I am one who believes he'll really contribute over the next 3 years. I was glad to hear the postive things about him here. I thought he was dang good last year for a Freshman. He will be the kind of player who improves each year. And I felt his defense really improved last year, and I believe it will continue to improve, just like the rest of his game.

gozagswoohoo
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I have complete faith in the Stockmaster.

He is gonna have a great season.

JUST.....YOU....WATCH.... <------------- Which is basically what BZ has been saying for a while now)

cjm720
05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I certainly wouldn't bet against Stockton, but tough not to get hung up with the Pangos hype. One thing I do know, is that Few trusts young Stockton and that goes a long way for him it appears.

Harris, for personal reasons, please stay and work on your game in Spokane!!

Thx for the report, Hooter.

ridgebackzag
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. With both Elias and Rob returning it just makes sense that Kelly should redshirt this upcoming season.

If he doesn't redshirt then he will play about 15 minutes per game this upcoming season and about 25 minutes per game the following season.

If he does redshirt then he would get:

(1) an extra year to build up his strength and work on this skills

(2) two seasons of at least 25 minutes per game

(3) the opportunity to play with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos as Sophmores and Juniors instead of as Freshman and Sophmores

(4) the first year of a Master's program paid for.

If he had trasnferred he would have had to redshirt a year anyway and it sounds like he was considering that option.

I can't really see any advantage to Kelly to not redshirt this upcoming season.

If he RS'd, he'd have to have a great junior and senior campaign to get scouts to look at him too long. Who wants to RS going into their junior year? That's a total slap in the face.

bigblahla
05-09-2011, 03:59 PM
If he RS'd, he'd have to have a great junior and senior campaign to get scouts to look at him too long. Who wants to RS going into their junior year? That's a total slap in the face.

Slap in the face?

You don't believe the extra year can help Kelly become a better player and thereby make the TEAM better?

I think it would be a brilliant move on Kelly's part and I agree with NOB.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
OK! We got Stocks, Carter, Bell and Pangos. All strong candidates for lots of productive minutes.

Seems like we have 1 and 2 spots settled......for now. Dranginis might think about the redshirt. We need a spectacular wing.

zag67
05-09-2011, 05:38 PM
We have MM, MK and Landy. I think that one of them will step up. If not we might have to go with some small ball and have Carter at the wing. Or go with the big team of Sacre, Dower/KO and Harris. I think that we are going to like this team before the end of the year.

ronh_pm
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
As 73 stated, KO was thinking about transferring. There were definite rumblings. My source told me KO is not leaving and was angry that there was a thread about it, wanting me to remove it, which I refused to. But there were rumblings and there was truth to it. So... Apologies to those who were saying as much. My bad.

I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Houston Zag
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm glad Stockton is getting better too. He isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year as the WCC now knows he can play.

I can see where Kelly didn't want to redshirt. He played really well at time and hit a clutch shot against Baylor. I'm an advocate of redshirting, but I think we need his outside shot without Gray next season. A big guy that can make a defense spread the floor is a huge tactical advantage and will open up Rob under the hoop.

hooter73
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm glad Stockton is getting better too. He isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year as the WCC now knows he can play.

I can see where Kelly didn't want to redshirt. He played really well at time and hit a clutch shot against Baylor. I'm an advocate of redshirting, but I think we need his outside shot without Gray next season. A big guy that can make a defense spread the floor is a huge tactical advantage and will open up Rob under the hoop.

Dude KO is not the outside shooting answer. He is maybe the mismatch answer by being able to shoot outside but we have 5 guards (7 really) that can shoot from the three. Not as much an issue as some make it out to be.

bulldoginpdx
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Imo that is what is so exciting about KO, mismatches. He ballooned up to have a "big mans" body with a guards skill set. Watching dirk and his body control is mouthwatering to me. I don't personally want KO to be the next dirk or like dirk as much as I want him to see just how beneficial a rs year would be to his over all success in making a career out of bball, what i assume his goal is. If he does not rs I just hope he comes out with fire and makes me look stupid. Good luck kid.

hooter73
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Either over the summer or in a RS year if KO can figure out some speed and get some damn agressiveness he could be a one on one nightmare. From the foul line all he has to do is fall forward with an arm outstretched and it'll be a dunk or stepping back from a guard on the perimiter for a jump shot... we've all seen him unexpectedly drive or finish hard so it is there. Add some defensive coaching and All WCC Team type playing is so doable.

If it takes a RS year to get the playing time to do these things plus have his masters degree paid for it would so be worth it.

TexasZagFan
05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Are you trying to give woohoo ideas?

jake
05-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Imo that is what is so exciting about KO, mismatches. He ballooned up to have a "big mans" body with a guards skill set.

I like Olynyk, but I feel like his guard/perimeter skills are a little over-hyped on here. He has better perimeter skills than most big men and does create matchup problems that way, but, at least in my opinion, his guard/perimeter skills are well below a typical guard/wing. I think he has shown the ability to create matchup problems to an opposing 4/5 guy, but not the ability to actually play at the 3 spot.

cjm720
05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I like Olynyk, but I feel like his guard/perimeter skills are a little over-hyped on here. He has better perimeter skills than most big men and does create matchup problems that way, but, at least in my opinion, his guard/perimeter skills are well below a typical guard/wing. I think he has shown the ability to create matchup problems to an opposing 4/5 guy, but not the ability to actually play at the 3 spot.

Yep. He's a 7 foot tweener.

Personally, I'm very fond of Kelly and I think if he got 20-25+ minutes a game last year he'd be a completely different (and better) player. Unfortunately, I don't see those type of minutes for him with our current roster.

I still have high hopes for the kid, but barring an injury I just don't see enough time to gain a ton of comfort in his role.

bulldoginpdx
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
No doubt there a little overhyped I don't think most of us think he could comparably play pg next to any of the 1 or 2s on the team. But for his body he has a chance to be one of a kind for this program if his game can fill out more and his body.

CDC84
05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
According to Coach Krause, Kelly is still having issues with adjusting to being a big man in the college game....in just about every area. It cannot be overstated enough that he has been a perimeter player his whole life. This is something new for him, and it has been a slowwwwww process.

I feel a redshirt year might just be the ticket for Kelly. It might just be the very thing that allows him grow to a new level as a player for the 2nd half of his college career. I have always felt and still do feel that KO is a better player than he's shown so far at Gonzaga. He has something that can be worked with. A lot of coaches would love to work with a 7 footer with his skill set and basketball IQ.

cggonzaga
05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
According to Coach Krause, Kelly is still having issues with adjusting to being a big man in the college game....in just about every area. It cannot be overstated enough that he has been a perimeter player his whole life. This is something new for him, and it has been a slowwwwww process.

So why is he being forced to? I've always thought Kelly would be an exceptional high post/wing type player. He absolutely excelled at the end of last season playing the high post. Just move him around the 10-15ft area, occasionally stepping out to the 3pt line, and he'll be great. Quit trying to make him a low post player.

Also, what a hard decision it must be for him to possibly redshirt this year after playing for 2 seasons. Might be the right thing to do but I don't envy him at all on this one.

MDABE80
05-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Well the redshirt idea is apparently gone. Maybe later but gone for now.
Kelly is a big kid and if there is a 6 ft 6in kid who tries to guard him...it's no use. Mismatches in college might be among his strong suits.
Good kid though.

FuManShoes
05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Kelly will be fine. He looked good down the stretch last year and seemed to have figured it out. He was boarding at a high rate, not committing silly turnovers and stretching defenses with his shooting. I think he was finishing better at the rim as well - I recall a sweet move through the lane in one of the tourney games. He needs to improve his footwork and FT% and he'll be a great asset, even off the bench. The Zags can only be strong if they are deep and Kelly gives them that. Just because Spangler is big, athletic and put up gaudy numbers in small-time HS ball doesn't mean he's ready to step in and play significant minutes at this level. Kelly has experience and will have that chance.

hooter73
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
KO has to realize he is a mismatch for most people and take advantage of that before he can be called a mismatch. He has the same mentality that he developed for years and now has to change those go-tos and create new reflexs. He is smart enough to do it but it will tak etime. RS would be my quiet vote as well.

Bogozags
05-10-2011, 04:24 PM

I don't think it is a "slap in the face" at all but rather an opportunity to work on weight training and skill development. It would be a plus for anyone BUT not everyone could just stop playing after two years...it would be eating you up inside...BUT then playing with an experienced back court and teaming up with SD and Spangler...the possibilities are endlessly in his favor, if a RS was to happen...imo.

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2011, 06:00 AM
I agree 100% that the SMARTEST and most beneficial thing for KO would be to redshirt. The staff isn't at all slapping KO in the face by offering the RS, they are doing it for his benefit.

-BUT-

Remember that we are talking about an 18 or 19 year old KID here! In his eyes, it IS a slap in the face. He is thinking "Wait....you want ME to redshirt?? I've been playing for 2 years now, why would I redshirt now? How many collegiate players redshirt after playing for 2 years? Do you think the other players are progressing THAT much better than me? Are the new recruits coming in THAT good that my playing time after TWO years could be in jeopardy?? What would everyone in my hometown think? What would my old high school teammates think? What about all those guys on my Canadian national team that were talking about how much crazy potential I have??"

In Kelly's eyes, it would probably feel embarassing to RS at this point. He has been hyped like crazy from everywhere (and rightly so), and even though he WOULD benefit from a redshirt (without a doubt!), it would FEEL like a slap in the face after 2 years! (Even though it's NOT a slap in the face!).

Does that make sense? Sorry for rambling.

Birddog
05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
I disagree with the thoughts from Hooville and others calling this a slap in the face. Kelly is an engineering student, a dicipline based in numbers and logical steps. If the scenario is layed out in front of him, then he can make a logical decision based on past experience and projecting to the future. Remember, the decision is up to him. Why is it a a slap in the face to suggest to him that he considering redshirting under the circumstances. To the best of my knowledge, the decision to RS is ultimately in the hands of the player. The staff just makes suggestions.

Players transfer out after 2 years and RS a Jr year frequently. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is not unheard of for a Jr to RS while staying in a program. It just happened that there is a logjam this season. Whichever way he goes, I trust Kelly will make a thoughtful decision, he is a WCC Academic honoree after all.

bulldoginpdx
05-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Will KO be mature and disciplined enough to see past his desires to be on the court with his brothers in the trenches so to speak? I don't know but at this moment I'm frantically searching for a awkward youth to find me everything he can possibly find out on this KO fellow. I will then use my powers of seduction and speak to this young lad. He will find me most wise and listen to what I say. BECAUSE I KNOW!!!!!!!

Yes....ughmmmmm back to reality, ugh, yeah hmmm.....good luck with your decision kid.

PS.....Don't be like Lebron lol

HillBillyZag
05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Birddog, Kelly, and actually most, of the kids who come to Gonzaga, do not take Basketweaving 101, but have a plan in place for real life, if their hoops dreams falter. Kelly seems a pretty level headed young man, he will land on his feet , whatever his decision. I still think the young man has a lot of hoops to play, however.

CDC84
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Not that this is a reason for him to do it, but Kelly redshirting might also help Gonzaga in the long term in terms of recruiting. The staff might not have to pursue two big men in the 2012 class. Get Skylar Spencer (hopefully) and then focus all their efforts on landing a point guard (like Tyrone Wallace) and a couple of quality wings (like Demarquise and Xavier Johnson).

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-11-2011, 07:30 AM
I disagree with the thoughts from Hooville and others calling this a slap in the face. Kelly is an engineering student, a dicipline based in numbers and logical steps. If the scenario is layed out in front of him, then he can make a logical decision based on past experience and projecting to the future. Remember, the decision is up to him. Why is it a a slap in the face to suggest to him that he considering redshirting under the circumstances. To the best of my knowledge, the decision to RS is ultimately in the hands of the player. The staff just makes suggestions.

Players transfer out after 2 years and RS a Jr year frequently. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is not unheard of for a Jr to RS while staying in a program. It just happened that there is a logjam this season. Whichever way he goes, I trust Kelly will make a thoughtful decision, he is a WCC Academic honoree after all.

You'd think an engineering student might want to redshirt just to pick up the extra year of free tuition. Most of the engineering majors that I knew at GU took five or even six years to graduate and they didn't have to balance their schoolwork with the basketball team's brutal travel schedule.

My two cents.

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I am quite certain that Kelly is an exceptionally smart young man, but just because he is an engineering major doesn't mean he can't have some completely normal thoughts that might cross a 19 year olds head in this situation.

Look at it this way.

Let me describe another young man to you, and then you tell me what you would think of him.

Take this 19 year old for example----

19 years old, majoring in Pyschology with a minor in business administration. He works 20 hours per week while in school, and volunteers at a local church in the little spare time he had outside of work and school. His family couldn't quite afford to send him to this particular school he was attending, so he ran track to get a partial scholarship. He hated track. But he did it to get this scholarship. Running track meant he had to get up for a mandatory 6am workout and weight lifting session, and then go to a 3 hour track practice later that night.

This young man also joined a voluntary 'business social' club that helped mold young mind's so they are more prepared for the business world after college.

This guy sounds pretty dang driven and VERY mature for a 19 year old right??? He probably makes some GREAT decisions, in college, and out!

That guy was me. While I was in college, I was STILL a very normal 19 year old, with very normal 19 year old feelings. One weekend, I ate a box of 120 chicken rings. Yes, chicken rings. I don't even know if they make those anymore. But I ate them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also watched the movie Dumb and Dumber DAILY, one time my roommate and I watched it FOUR times in one day (Who knows why??).

I also bought a couch at a resale shop fo $5, and then but it in our dorm hall staircase, just so I could rest on my way up the 4 flights of stairs.

The decision KO was possibly faced with seems like a good one to us, but that's because we are all viewing it from the outside. He could have a whole extra year as a zag! He could improve his skill set and get stronger, therefore probably improving his draft stock! He could hone his skills and become TWICE the player he is today! It's all very logical to us. But he is 19, and while he MAY be twice as mature as the next 19 year old next to him, HE IS STILL 19.

In my, probably immature, opinion, I think that somewhere in the back of Kelly's 19 year old, the thought probably hurts his feelings just a tad, or makes him question a few things.

Birddog
05-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Woohoo, you can't compare a Psych Major to an Engineering Major anytime, anywhere, anyplace, but since you were a Psych Major, you may not be able to logically come to that conclusion. We already know how you feel about it. Of course this is all idle speculation all in good fun.

BTW, every Psych Major that I've ever run into got into Pscych because they wanted to figure out why they were so screwed up. Just sayin'.

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Woohoo, you can't compare a Psych Major to an Engineering Major anytime, anywhere, anyplace, but since you were a Psych Major, you may not be able to logically come to that conclusion. We already know how you feel about it. Of course this is all idle speculation all in good fun.

BTW, every Psych Major that I've ever run into got into Pscych because they wanted to figure out why they were so screwed up. Just sayin'.

I'm not comparing the two, but I tried to paint a picture of what would seem like a kid who also has their head screwed on pretty straight. Whichever way you look at it, he is still a kid. Heck, look at Bill Gates. When Bill Gates was 19, he majored in Food Service, and had a minor in Cosmetology.

Okay....so I made that last part up. Sue me.

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Oh, and PS, I was a Psych major because I wanted to help small children who had been victimized or put through something traumatic. Now I am in insurance. Go figure.

zagco
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Zagco thinks there should be a lot more redshirting in basketball. He's alarmed there is not. It does wonders for young football players.

OZZY
05-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Glad your staying Kelly, regarding redshirting, do what is best for you. That, in the end will be best for the team.

The communication of what people expect from them is so important to teenagers (I'm dealing with two right now).

gu03alum
05-12-2011, 05:47 AM
So why is he being forced to? I've always thought Kelly would be an exceptional high post/wing type player. He absolutely excelled at the end of last season playing the high post. Just move him around the 10-15ft area, occasionally stepping out to the 3pt line, and he'll be great. Quit trying to make him a low post player.

Also, what a hard decision it must be for him to possibly redshirt this year after playing for 2 seasons. Might be the right thing to do but I don't envy him at all on this one.

Yes, him being a wing player on offense creates mismatches, but I'm not sure he can guard the other team's 2 or 3 on defense. So any advantage that brings on offense will be negated on defense unless the team runs a zone. I assume if he's playing a wing then two of Dower, Sacre, and Harris will also be on the court.

LongIslandZagFan
05-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Red shirting after 2 years is no different than transferring after 2. IMHO it might do him good. Also, I think someone said that 2 years will hurt him with scouts... Ask Dan Dickau what can be done in 2 years. He actually credited that year off as being the best thing in his career... It helped actually "see" the court better. Whatever he decides I am cool with... But it is NOT a slap in the face by any stretch.

gozagswoohoo
05-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I just want to clarify something, I think it would benefit Kelly ENORMOUSLY if he would redshirt. I also don't think it's a slap in the face to offer and suggest he redshirt.

But I DO think it's quite likely that Kelly, as a 19 year old, may have initially viewed the offer that way. If that makes sense.

Birddog
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Woohoo, you are getting quite defensive here, do you have a guilt complex or something? Is this some sort of Feudian response? Psych major again, I think. Letting us in on the fact that you were a Psych major is akin to telling us that you carry a "man purse". Somethings are better left unsaid.

gozagswoohoo
05-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Woohoo, you are getting quite defensive here, do you have a guilt complex or something? Is this some sort of Feudian response? Psych major again, I think. Letting us in on the fact that you were a Psych major is akin to telling us that you carry a "man purse". Somethings are better left unsaid.

Birddog, for the first time in 7 years, you are beginning to annoy me. You have now followed up on 3 or 4 of my posts, making combative little remarks towards me. Either you're just grumpy, or you're flirting with me (remember how school children punch or make fun of someone they REALLY like). BUT, my guess is that is IS just a mild case of GRUMPINESS.

That is my official diagnosis. No prescription needed. Consult back with me in 2-4 weeks.

PS- I will bill you the $600 for this diagnosis.

;-)

Birddog
05-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Not grumpy Woohoo, just pickin' the low hanging fruit. Things are slow when the Zags aren't playing.

gozagswoohoo
05-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Not grumpy Woohoo, just pickin' the low hanging fruit. Things are slow when the Zags aren't playing.

haha, I hear ya. How much longer do we have again??

TOO LONG, that's all I know.

Birddog
05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
OK Woohoo, I'll start playing nice. What do you like best about your "man purse"?

TexasZagFan
05-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Birddog, for the first time in 7 years, you are beginning to annoy me. You have now followed up on 3 or 4 of my posts, making combative little remarks towards me. Either you're just grumpy, or you're flirting with me (remember how school children punch or make fun of someone they REALLY like). BUT, my guess is that is IS just a mild case of GRUMPINESS.

That is my official diagnosis. No prescription needed. Consult back with me in 2-4 weeks.

PS- I will bill you the $600 for this diagnosis.

;-)

Do ALL Psych Majors end up in the insurance industry? Sure seems that way.

a13coach
05-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Do ALL Psych Majors end up in the insurance industry? Sure seems that way.

Let's see here for a moment. From GU's web site.
Dr. Thayne McCulloh (http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/mcculloh/background.asp)

Following high school, he completed a three-year enlistment as a food service sergeant in the US Army. He arrived at Gonzaga University in its centennial year (1986-87), served as a resident assistant and resident director, was president of Alpha Sigma Nu (the Jesuit honor society), and was elected student body president in his senior year. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, magna cum laude, and proudly shares with Harry H. Sladich, the only other non-Jesuit to serve as interim president (1991, 1997-98) the distinction of receiving Gonzaga's Lindberg Loyalty Award. In 1989, he was accepted to study for the Master of Science degree in experimental psychology at Oxford University. He was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy (D.Phil.) in experimental social psychology from Oxford in 1998, and his thesis examined the impact of sex role stereotypes on social situations.

TexasZagFan
05-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Let's see here for a moment. From GU's web site.
Dr. Thayne McCulloh (http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/mcculloh/background.asp)

+1...good catch!