• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

Dinner table news

had a talk with someone who works directly with a member of the coaching staff and while nothing confidential was divulged and none of the news was ground breaking to anyone on this board or who follows the team, I thought it was interesting. Again I am the third party in this game of telephone but its pretty straight forward stuff.

- Goodson leaving was a bit of a shock and the staff was very concerned about him completing his degree.
    - KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot.
    -Chris S. is a huge unknown sleeper with untold talent and possibilities.
    - Stockton is only getting impressively better and better and may be shooting more this year on the court.
    - Harris may not play world ball this summer but the others invited to probably will.

Again nothing ground breaking or 100% definitive and the rest is all pretty standard stuff like Harris will most likely leave with Sacre after next year.
  • hondo
    Zag for Life
    • May 2009

"-Chris S. is a huge unknown sleeper with untold talent and possibilities."
    What have I been preaching for the last 3 months?

Comment

• Ebay
      Kennel Club Material
      • Jan 2010

Mostly good news! Glad to hear that Elias could focus on himself this summer rather than sparingly playing for the German team. I agree with the comments on Chris as well. I saw him play several times, and he will surprise people. Dude has some serious game and will work as hard as anyone else. Encouraging news that Stocks is getting better and better, that can only mean good things for us. I hope Kelly realizes that the coaches are just trying to help him improve the best way they see fit. The guy has crazy potential, just needs the confidence on the court now.

I'm hoping this team(minus the international team guys) spends the summer hanging out in McCarthey shooting hoops and talking trash to each other, all in good fun of course. Just wish we could have all the guys there. But I can't imagine how fulfilling it would be to represent your country in a game you love.

Next season can't come soon enough. Go Zags.
      In an ideal world, I would have all 10 fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

• BMAN
        Kennel Club Material
        • Dec 2007

Hooter

what does this mean

- KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot

Are they talking to him about redshirting a year.

Comment

• hooter73
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BMAN View Post
          Hooter

what does this mean

- KO almost did leave under talks of red shirting but he is very smart and a $50k masters degree could be worth a lot

Are they talking to him about redshirting a year.
          I didnt really pry and explanations can get screwy after changing ears so many times. I believe the talk was regarding an upcoming RS year. I have no clue about what will happen other then it sounds like KO is not leaving.

The overall feel I got was another young team but in a better spot than the last young GU teams. Im excited

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

I owe an apology to some folks on here

As 73 stated, KO was thinking about transferring. There were definite rumblings. My source told me KO is not leaving and was angry that there was a thread about it, wanting me to remove it, which I refused to. But there were rumblings and there was truth to it. So... Apologies to those who were saying as much. My bad.

As for the redshirting issue, I personally think it'd do KO a world of good. It'd be along the lines of what Jeremy Eaton did, or Sean Mallon and Josh Heytvelt. KO is, imo, no better than any of those three old dogs.

As for Stockton, I told y'all years ago to watch out for him. Word from the coaching circle was surprising. Remember, David was ill (tonsil complications) and unable to practice or play pick-up or lift weights all last summer and fall. He could make a huge jump with a healthy offseason. We'll see.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• NorthoftheBorder
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Should Kelly redshirt?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. With both Elias and Rob returning it just makes sense that Kelly should redshirt this upcoming season.

If he doesn't redshirt then he will play about 15 minutes per game this upcoming season and about 25 minutes per game the following season.

If he does redshirt then he would get:

(1) an extra year to build up his strength and work on this skills

(2) two seasons of at least 25 minutes per game

(3) the opportunity to play with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos as Sophmores and Juniors instead of as Freshman and Sophmores

(4) the first year of a Master's program paid for.

If he had trasnferred he would have had to redshirt a year anyway and it sounds like he was considering that option.

I can't really see any advantage to Kelly to not redshirt this upcoming season.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Best news for me was about Stockton. I am one who believes he'll really contribute over the next 3 years. I was glad to hear the postive things about him here. I thought he was dang good last year for a Freshman. He will be the kind of player who improves each year. And I felt his defense really improved last year, and I believe it will continue to improve, just like the rest of his game.
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                  • Feb 2007

I have complete faith in the Stockmaster.

He is gonna have a great season.

JUST.....YOU....WATCH.... <------------- Which is basically what BZ has been saying for a while now)
                  Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I certainly wouldn't bet against Stockton, but tough not to get hung up with the Pangos hype. One thing I do know, is that Few trusts young Stockton and that goes a long way for him it appears.

Harris, for personal reasons, please stay and work on your game in Spokane!!

Thx for the report, Hooter.
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ridgebackzag
                      Kennel Club
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by NorthoftheBorder View Post
                      I've said it before and I'll say it again. With both Elias and Rob returning it just makes sense that Kelly should redshirt this upcoming season.

If he doesn't redshirt then he will play about 15 minutes per game this upcoming season and about 25 minutes per game the following season.

If he does redshirt then he would get:

(1) an extra year to build up his strength and work on this skills

(2) two seasons of at least 25 minutes per game

(3) the opportunity to play with Gary Bell Jr. and Kevin Pangos as Sophmores and Juniors instead of as Freshman and Sophmores

(4) the first year of a Master's program paid for.

If he had trasnferred he would have had to redshirt a year anyway and it sounds like he was considering that option.

I can't really see any advantage to Kelly to not redshirt this upcoming season.
                      If he RS'd, he'd have to have a great junior and senior campaign to get scouts to look at him too long. Who wants to RS going into their junior year? That's a total slap in the face.

Comment

• bigblahla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ridgebackzag View Post
                        If he RS'd, he'd have to have a great junior and senior campaign to get scouts to look at him too long. Who wants to RS going into their junior year? That's a total slap in the face.
                        Slap in the face?

You don't believe the extra year can help Kelly become a better player and thereby make the TEAM better?

I think it would be a brilliant move on Kelly's part and I agree with NOB.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                        "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

OK! We got Stocks, Carter, Bell and Pangos. All strong candidates for lots of productive minutes.

Seems like we have 1 and 2 spots settled......for now. Dranginis might think about the redshirt. We need a spectacular wing.

Comment

• zag67
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Wing

We have MM, MK and Landy. I think that one of them will step up. If not we might have to go with some small ball and have Carter at the wing. Or go with the big team of Sacre, Dower/KO and Harris. I think that we are going to like this team before the end of the year.

Comment

• ronh_pm
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                              As 73 stated, KO was thinking about transferring. There were definite rumblings. My source told me KO is not leaving and was angry that there was a thread about it, wanting me to remove it, which I refused to. But there were rumblings and there was truth to it. So... Apologies to those who were saying as much. My bad.
                              I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Comment

Working...
                              X