PDA

View Full Version : NBA for Pargo

Angelo Roncalli
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
It looks to me like the stars have aligned for Jeremy to finally realize his dream of the NBA. He has improved his point guard play dramatically the last two years in Israel. He was the leader (also leading scorer) of the Maccabi team that was second in the Euroleague. He was second-team all-Euroleague. He stands to make well over $1 million in the Euroleague next year. This year's NBA draft is pretty thin at point guard after the top few guys. It seems like it's time for Jeremy to go to the league.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
If Pooh Jeter can carve out a niche in the NBA, then so can Jeremy. I look forward to seeing him in an NBA uniform.

FuManShoes
05-09-2011, 12:56 PM
The Lakers could use a PG and we know how they love their Zags!

TexasZagFan
05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
The Lakers could use a PG and we know how they love their Zags!

Jeremy can do it. I'll never forget that game in OKC against Blake Griffin. JP absolutely dominated the game for about 15 minutes in the second half, but ran out of gas.

CDC84
05-09-2011, 02:50 PM
The decision is a little more difficult than it may seem on the surface. The money that Jeremy would earn next year overseas is tax free - and he gets all of his living expenses covered for (car, housing, etc.). Plus he gets to be a star and play all the time. If some NBA team does take him, he likely won't play as much or earn nearly as much money. However, if he does dream of playing in the NBA, now's the time to give it a shot.

U Zig, I Zag
05-09-2011, 02:50 PM
JP is strong enough, athletic enough and has developed enough to 'round out' his game these last couple years. LA would be a good place for him. Obviously they are going to bring in someone with more All-Star talent, but someone like JP would be exciting for the crowd to have around and root for and he wouldn't be a liability.

He is built like a brick sh#ithouse and he will be around well into his 30's (aka, Fisher).

kclubfounder
05-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I hope he makes a ton of money and finds happiness in the league that I will not follow until Seattle is granted another team or until Stern goes away, whichever comes first.

MDABE80
05-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Jeremy is electrifying. He's got the skills now. It's his time. He can do it if he doesn't get nervous like he has in the Summer leagues.

GO big J!!

willandi
05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I hope he makes a ton of money and finds happiness in the league that I will not follow until Seattle is granted another team or until Stern goes away, whichever comes first.

+ 1 googleplex!!

RockandRollJames
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Pargo is my all-time favorite Zag. That being said, I don't know if he can do it. He struggled in the Summer League. I hope he can do it, but I just don't see it unless he has improved tremendously.

germzag
05-09-2011, 08:07 PM
The decision is a little more difficult than it may seem on the surface. The money that Jeremy would earn next year overseas is tax free - and he gets all of his living expenses covered for (car, housing, etc.). Plus he gets to be a star and play all the time. If some NBA team does take him, he likely won't play as much or earn nearly as much money. However, if he does dream of playing in the NBA, now's the time to give it a shot.

Europe/Asia does have its advantages. Still, the NBA's Pension Plan (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/sports/basketball/13pension.html) is a big bonus. Three years in the league and he will be fully vested. A guy like Antoine Walker, who blew his $100 million plus gross career income on blackjack, will receive $200k annually once he turns 62. Best thing that ever happened to that guy for sure.

azzagfan
05-09-2011, 10:42 PM

I heard it from his own mouth, he wants to play in the NBA. Plans to be back in the NW in the offseason for workouts (Spokane a bit and Seattle primarily I believe). I personally think he would be a perfect fit for a number of teams. Will he dominate? No, but he's talented, athletic and skilled enough to be a contributor.

The money you earn isn't tax free (unless the club has a stipulation to cover any taxes you owe the US gov't). You are tax exempt on the first $93K you earn, but you have to pay tax on any salary over that.

As for being a star, a basketball player in Europe and Israel is not as well known to the public as you might think. Soccer players are stars, basketball players are great if you follow the team.

Oregonzagnut
05-09-2011, 10:55 PM
There seems to be a stigma or curse on guys who don't go into the NBA right away. It is too dang tough to crack into a rotation when GM's and coachs will tend to gamble on the younger unproven guys who have more hype and even more unrealistic expectations. Maybe I am just bitter about the Zags who have gotten skipped over, but Pargo's athleticism and solid all around game is too obvious to be "skipped over".

skan72
05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
It's true the Euroleague contracts generally aren't tax-free unless the team pays them for you, especially if you are a US citizen, you still have to pay US taxes on your worldwide income.

However, getting a place, a car, and food paid for on top of your salary is pretty freakin' nice.

Zag79
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
There seems to be a stigma or curse on guys who don't go into the NBA right away. It is too dang tough to crack into a rotation when GM's and coachs will tend to gamble on the younger unproven guys who have more hype and even more unrealistic expectations. Maybe I am just bitter about the Zags who have gotten skipped over, but Pargo's athleticism and solid all around game is too obvious to be "skipped over".

+1... pargo is as good as mr jeter. i sure hope he makes it, i can name a few players i would have taken JP over. jeremy was a player i always thought could make the L with his athleticism and handles, good luck!

CDC84
05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I heard it from his own mouth, he wants to play in the NBA. Plans to be back in the NW in the offseason for workouts (Spokane a bit and Seattle primarily I believe). I personally think he would be a perfect fit for a number of teams. Will he dominate? No, but he's talented, athletic and skilled enough to be a contributor.

The money you earn isn't tax free (unless the club has a stipulation to cover any taxes you owe the US gov't). You are tax exempt on the first $93K you earn, but you have to pay tax on any salary over that.

As for being a star, a basketball player in Europe and Israel is not as well known to the public as you might think. Soccer players are stars, basketball players are great if you follow the team.

When I mean being a star, I don't mean being a celebrity. I mean it from the perspective of being a major influence on the court.

I know for a fact that when JP Batista was playing in Lithuania that his money was tax free. I would have to believe that Pargo could work out a contract in his favor given his demand overseas. But yes, it's not a total guarantee.

I still feel it's not as easy of a decision as it may seem from the outside. But his desire to play in the NBA is most important and is something I would fully support. The more Zags in the NBA the better.

Jeremy is one guy who is pretty easy to root for. He has overcome so much to be where he is today. Hope his dream comes true.

Birddog
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Americans get to pay taxes in the good ol USA despite where they earn their $$$. If any deals are worked out, it's just paper shuffling, they are still going to pay USA Income tax. Many citizens become ex-pats for this reason. Americans are frequently hit with taxes from two countries. JP is Brazilian, that may have had something to do with his tax situation.

kitzbuel
05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I know for a fact that when JP Batista was playing in Lithuania that his money was tax free. I would have to believe that Pargo could work out a contract in his favor given his demand overseas. But yes, it's not a total guarantee.

JP is Brazilian.

Pargo had to pay taxes. As was stated above, the first $93K is exempt IF you stay out of the US for at least 330 days out of a year. He was back for Summer League.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96968,00.html

Houston Zag
05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I usually come to this board for Zag news and basketball talk...I'm glad I can now add tax questions to that list.

Jeremy should play in the NBA. He was good enough when he left Gonzaga and appears to be even better now. I have an extra room in my house he can rent if he catches on with Houston.

cjm720
05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Pargo had to pay taxes. As was stated above, the first $93K is exempt IF you stay out of the US for at least 330 days out of a year. He was back for Summer League.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96968,00.html

I think CDC is saying that he's not taxed in the foreign country, not necessarily that he has no tax obligation(s).