PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame lets player back in

ZagNut08
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2911331

Maybe Duke and ND over reacted and GU did things just right...

Zag79
06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
exactly. thank God that GU isnt run by some posters. :lmao:

NJZag
06-26-2007, 04:50 AM
From the article:

McAlarney, who already had entered a pretrial diversion program, was initially angry at the university's punishment, knowing that many schools wouldn't have been so severe.

"But when you really look into it and see the big picture, this is why I came to Notre Dame -- the kind of respect people who graduate from here get," he said. "That's why it is the school that it is. That's why they have the standards that they have."

Notre Dame followed what is Standard Operating Procedure for any student at ND given the circumstances of an arrest and an admission of guilt.

Notre Dame is not "many schools" like the article refers to.

It is Notre Dame, like McAlarney refers to.

As such, it's a college where students can still face permanent dismissal for things like, oh say, violation of parietal hours. The list of violations that can result in suspensions or dismissals are here:

http://orlh.nd.edu/dulac/Complete/duLac%20200621.pdf#page=91

Duke could be classified as an over-reaction because there were serious charges, the students claimed innocence, and (most important) the students were, in fact, found to be innocent of the charges. Completely innocent, in the sense of no DNA matches, and a prosecution "witness" (the other dancer) whose recollection of events didn't support the story told by the alleged victim.

An interesting comparison would be the case of the four ND football players charged with rape, and expelled from school after the information provided from the prosecutor's office to the university for its own student judicial process showed that there were DNA matches.

The first player who came up at trial was convicted of sexual battery, a lesser included offense. The second player was acquitted at trial. The result from the second trial prompted a decision by the prosecutor to drop charges against the remaining two football players, after the prosecutor interviewed the jurors from the second trial. There was no question that kit samples taken from one "victim" produced DNA matches with four players; the questions producing "reasonable doubt" by the jurors revolved around the issue of consent.

Notre Dame's expulsions still stood.

Why?

Read the Student Life policies. Grounds: fornication.

Notre Dame is Notre Dame.

jazzdelmar
06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Pres. Brodhead shld be censured....the knee jerk faculty who asked for the action lived up to that name.....and then Duke has the balls to ask the NCAA for another year for the players after IT was the one who killed the program!!!!! Worse yet, the NCAA gladly complied......Take it from me, an old college admin, college politics make the Dems and Reps look like amateurs (witness Summers', a seasoned political hack, short stay at Harvard.............

LongIslandZagFan
06-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Pres. Brodhead shld be censured....the knee jerk faculty who asked for the action lived up to that name.....and then Duke has the balls to ask the NCAA for another year for the players after IT was the one who killed the program!!!!! Worse yet, the NCAA gladly complied......Take it from me, an old college admin, college politics make the Dems and Reps look like amateurs (witness Summers', a seasoned political hack, short stay at Harvard.............

Speaking as somone who works in higher ed I can say that college administrations are not political at all. And if you believe that I have bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you.

You hit the nail on the head with that one Jazz... didn't know you were a higher ed man as well.