PDA

View Full Version : Running out of rumors yet? - Enter K.O.

ronh_pm
05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
As we have wrapped up the Arop transfer, signed Guy Landry, and are finishing closing arguments on the Demitri Goodson departure it seems we are only left with the Bryce Jones case to waste away the time we should be spending in our spring gardens.

Enter Kelly Olynyk.

The headline reads Kelly Olynyk Next Canadian to Exit Gonzaga Bulldogs Basketball Program early? and the arcticle starts with what would seem to be a fact
"Kelly Olynyk is currently exploring options on how to proceed with his collegiate NCAA basketball career." but I will leave it up to the fine members here to discuss sometimes eloquently and sometimes not so much the latest rumor regarding not only a Zag moving on, but in fact, Canada's love affair with the Zags and the programs affinity to recruiting in Canada.

http://basketballbuzz.ca/ncaa/kelly-olynyk-next-canadian-to-exit-gonzaga-bulldogs-basketball-program-early/

So now is your chance to get in early before there are any confirmations and throw K.O under the bus, beat on him because he never became the post he never wanted to be and to generally show your disdain for Canadian Basketball.

EuroZag2010
05-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Tough article to swallow. If he leaves that's 8 guys ....

BroncoZAG615
05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Comical.

If Kelly leaves do we officially close the Canadian border recruiting-wise unless a player has other high-major offers?

dnj116
05-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Not. Good. Why is this happening????????? This is the off season, when our team is supposed to be coming together, not falling apart! DONT LEAVE KELLY!!!!!

Vizagra
05-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Tough article to swallow. If he leaves that's 8 guys ....

who are the 8? I can't think of them all...

Meech
Keegan
Kong
Poling
Arop

EuroZag2010
05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
who are the 8? I can't think of them all...

Meech
Keegan
Kong
Poling
Arop

Gibbs, Valirino(sp)?

jazzdelmar
05-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Clearly it's time for AD Roth to step up and make nice words about the Fewster and all this chaos. This is beyond the coach. Is there any accountability up there?

Vizagra
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Gibbs, Valirino(sp)?

Thanks!

cjm720
05-06-2011, 08:24 AM
KO, please stay!!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-06-2011, 08:25 AM
*sigh* Exhausting.

EuroZag2010
05-06-2011, 08:25 AM
KO, please stay!!!

+10

MaroonZag22
05-06-2011, 08:30 AM
This story seems to be nothing more than speculation. He doesn't provide any facts about KO that the normal fan wouldn't see. Yeah, he had a disappointing Sophomore season. Ever heard of the Sophomore slump. Even EH has a disappointing season compared to what is expected. But if both come back and work hard over the summer I'm sure they can have great Junior campaigns. Until I hear something more than, "a lot of Canadian players on GU's roster have left, so KO is leaving. Oh, but I forgot to mention the other Canadian on the team (RS) who is looking really good to pros, but I'll just throw one sentence about that in b/c it hurts my argument." I'm not buying it...not yet!

Goshzagit
05-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Playing for Team Canada tainted his perception of reality a bit, imo. He did start the final 3 games and logged major mins on an international scale. Kelly tripled Sacre's minutes on the floor during FIBA, while Sacre triples his mins at Gonzaga. It makes sense to me, but might not make sense to KO. Also, Coach Rautins continued to state, "I wished we would have utilized Kelly more and Olynyk will be an NBA'er someday. Book it." It didn't matter Team Canada was atrocious on the Senior level, but I'm certain last Summer's int'l play against other pros got Kelly thinking...well, about the bigger picture. Who wouldn't?

I just don't understand what happened to learning/growing/being a role player as an underclassmen(frosh/soph yrs) and ultimately earning playing time by the time you're a Junior or even Senior? Coach Wooden would be shaking in his boots at the thought of this idea of being handed PT on a silver platter...

Has Kelly had multiple opportunities to capitalize on earning more PT? Absolutely. Has he taken advantage of those times when he was given a starting job or 20+mins in his first two years? Absolutely not.

This would make zero sense imho. Manny, sure. He was permanently benched, but it just doesn't add up with a player such as KO whom has been given every opportunity in the World to make things happen...and has failed if he thinks he deserves 30+ per game.

If he decided to transfer based on lack of PT, he has given up on himself and the team in my mind.

What is with all this self-entitlement all of sudden??

ZagNut08
05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
what Goshzagit said +1

MikeGallego
05-06-2011, 08:37 AM
If he decided to transfer based on lack of PT, he has given up on himself and the team in my mind.

What is with all this self-entitlement all of sudden??

Why is this automatically a Kelly Olynyk issue? Isn't it possible that this is, as Jazz says, a program issue?

theothegreat21
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Why is this automatically a Kelly Olynyk issue? Isn't it possible that this is, as Jazz says, a program issue?

Isn't it possible that there is no issue at all?

sittingon50
05-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Better jump on this, Johnny.

ronh_pm
05-06-2011, 08:45 AM
what Goshzagit said +1

Move that bus! Move that Bus!

MikeGallego
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

At this point, it's pretty easy to jump to conclusions. I will jump until I hear otherwise.

Goshzagit
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Yep. There was a rumor started on April Fools' day concerning KO and it could very well be pure conjecture at this point. A small rumor that started a wildfire amongst message boards...KO may not be going anywhere and excited as hell to return next year. Who knows...but I will say any player who begins the season in the starting lineup and then relegated to 10mins per game by season's end generally isn't a happy camper -- Kelly may prove us wrong and fight/work hard to regain his minutes. Until a press report is released or by Coach Few himself, its all speculation and hear-say...

Tmac5360
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Jazz, If Kelly leaves because he didn't get enough minutes.
Are you suggesting he got jobed? Should he have taken robs,
Sams, or eh's minutes? I don't see how this is a program
problem? If guys don't want to earn minutes with their play
then see ya later. Is this little league?? You wanna play more
you gotta earn it!!

ZagAddict
05-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow, that article really puts Gonzaga in a bad light in terms of developing Canadian basketball talent. I'd go as far a saying that it implies that Gonzaga's basketball program isn't a good fit for developing Canadian players.

It really is disturbing to see all these transfers from GU... no matter where they played their HS basketball.

KOzag08
05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I think it's a combination of realizing he's not that good, and not wanting to deal with Few. I know the players say one thing about him publicly, but it's a whole different story behind the scenes. As a former student, and friends with guys on the team, it was the same feeling right down to the last guy on the bench: no player likes Few.

sharpzag
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Sacre, Dower, Harris. All three have shown a lot more than Kelly. Kelly shows flashes at times... but unless one of the big 4 magically develop ball handling skills and play the 3, Kelly will once again find himself behind 3 bigs that are better than him...and thus he will find himself fighting for backup minutes.

Personally, I think Kelly needs to continue to fight to improve this year, and then step into a MAJOR role his senior year... however, if Spangler is as good as advertised, and/or if Harris stays 4 years, and/or if GU gets an instant impact BIG guy in 2012... maybe Kelly will never get the chance to play major minutes at GU without SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

Meech, Manny, and Kelly ALL were given the chance to play MAJOR minutes.... however, Manny, Meech, and Kelly were all outplayed* by Stockton, Carter, and Dower, respectively, and now maybe want to go somewhere else. Personally, I would rather see a player FIGHT to get that playing time over the summer... but quitting is an option too, I guess.

*debateable whether Meech was outplayed by Stockton, but Stockton at least showed that he deserved to get some of Meech's minutes.

ZagsObserver
05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Oh please, I'm tired of the condescending attitudes and bickering here. To suggest that this board is chomping at the bit to jump on players is ridiculous. Goodson was very controversial because he was given the starter position despite (at least to many) appearing ill-suited for that role. This board is largely very supportive of its players, on and off the court.

As for Kelly, I really hope he stays. I really don't understand the idea that if you don't get enough minutes as an underclassman, it should follow that you transfer. Why not work to improve and win the spot - only five can start.

Some of Few's signings appear to be "panic-driven." I wish the coaching staff would take a more reasoned, and less haphazard, approach to recruiting...starting with recruiting those who excelled at their respective schools, and particularly those schools that are at a high level of play. The moment you start recruiting projects, potential over results, and players who played against lesser competition (international recruits for instance), the risk factor goes up significantly. In the case of Pangos it makes sense because the reward offsets the risk due to his skill level...in other cases it's a head-scratcher.

Tmac5360
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
NO player likes Few??? Not one! You've just made a pretty
sweeping statement. I would careful saying crap like that.

sharpzag
05-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I think Few is clearly a demanding coach... and he is not necessarily what you would call a "player's coach". I think players that want something handed to them don't like Few. I think players that are good, and work hard to improve, do like Few.

At the end of the day, Few has to win. I would rather win than have Few give every player that comes to GU ample playing time.

I've heard Dower was considering transferring, too... also heard this about Carter... but both of those guys KEPT BATTLING, and EARNED their minutes.

I expect BIG things out of Dower, Harris, Sacre, Bell, Carter, and Stockton this year... all those guys are talented, and WORK HARD to improve. I think Few is over guys that DON'T work hard every day to play basketball. I exclude Meech from this discussion, because I think Meech was a hard worker and that Few really tried to stick with him because of this.

Goshzagit
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I think it's a combination of realizing he's not that good, and not wanting to deal with Few. I know the players say one thing about him publicly, but it's a whole different story behind the scenes. As a former student, and friends with guys on the team, it was the same feeling right down to the last guy on the bench: no player likes Few.

While I was a student, I heard the same thing; however, it was always from the players whom never played much(if at all) or as much as they thought they deserved. I'll never forget hanging out with Tyler Amaya and hearing him go off about "Coach Few is stubborn, or doesn't get it, etc" blah blah blah. There is a reason why he left. However, I also spoke with Ronny Turiaf during the same stretch and he had the best of things to say about Coach Few, "He's a good man, great Coach, looks out for the best for us, etc" Two sides to every coin and perception is always in the eye of the beholder.

Not to mention the multiple times I've spoken with Sam Dower over the years and heard glowing reports about Coach Few working with him individually, making him work harder than he's ever had to before, bringing out the best of his abilities, paying his dues, etc. Yes, we realize Coach Few can't please everyone and he's not neccessarily the quintessential players' Coach(Coach Rice was before he became a Head Coach and now Coach Daniels is that guy). Ever watch 'Remember the Titans', 'Miracle', or even 'Friday Night Lights'? This idea/concept applies here. Every player should love/hate the Head Coach on a good team -- they hate them enought to prove him wrong and love him enough to do the same. Work hard. If you aren't going to give it your all, Coach Few doesn't respect it. Ever notice the statement he made after Arop announced his transfer compared to the statements he made on behalf of Meech? HUGE difference.

There are 13 players and only 5 starters. Thats just the way it is. How much did you like your Coach(es) when/if you were benched?

I just feel our recruiting has evolved so much over the past 5-6 seasons, we didn't necessarily have a direction in the type of player we were recruiting with so much interest all over the country/world. I feel we're gaining a better handle on the direction we want to take -- which is slight more talented kids of the original formula. I'm sorry, but its no coincidence that Meech and Manny just so happened to be the two most athletic kids on this team, but the lowest basketball IQ as well. In addition, recruiting and signing Pangos, Dranginis, Spangler, Sarbaugh, and Bell Jr was very thoughtful in the process and intent of such players. ALL very hard workers, high character, extremely high basketball IQ. We are mixing in the right amount of athleticism w/o losing control of our identity. We started to lose this a bit in the last 3 recruiting classes, but we're back to the blueprint which started it all -- with even more talent on the roster.

roxdoc
05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Folks - we have already had an ad nauseam thread concerning this topic. Just because some message board picks up our old thread (yesterday's unfounded rumor) and attempts to make something of it we should not go for the bait.

Quite frankly I was shocked/depressed by some of the comments on that old thread and really don't want to see that drivel again.

IMHO Kelly is making progress and I have high hopes that this will continue. He is a valuable member of the team who is probably one injury or one player deciding to play for pay away from being a starter. So please lets stop the gratuitous speculation.

TexasZagFan
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
A coach down in Houston is threatening to put Gonzaga on his black list, and now a respected Canadian hoops blog publicly raises the spectre of Canadian players not fitting in at Gonzaga.

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

Jedster
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
While I was a student, I heard the same thing; however, it was always from the players who never played much or as much as they thought they deserved. I'll never forget hanging out with Tyler Amaya and hearing him go off about "Coach Few is stubborn, or doesn't get it, etc" blah blah blah. There is a reason why he left.

Reminds me of this:

My Coach Sucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymXdRQDISg)

Baldwinzag
05-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Reminds me of this:

My Coach Sucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymXdRQDISg)

Brilliant!

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
--Mario Andretti

Also, there was an ol' Swedish proverb that went something like this:

"Coach Few gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest."

KOzag08
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm not going to name any names, but I knew most of the basketball team in recent history. And it wasn't the guys that weren't getting playing time that were complaining about Few. Admittedly, I only know a couple players on our current roster, but haven't brought up this topic. BUT, I can assure you, the feeling throughout the team in RECENT history was that no one liked him. I stand by that too, every single player on the team. Even down to the last guy that worked his butt off and was an avid cheerleader on the bench. I even had a a class with a certain player. Our prof asked him if he ever went flyfishing with Few. his response was, "I would never go anywhere with that man that I didn't have to. I can't stand him." It was a very awkward moment, and he was a starter.

cjm720
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I just feel our recruiting has evolved so much over the past 5-6 seasons, we didn't necessarily have a direction in the type of player we were recruiting with so much interest all over the country/world. I feel we're gaining a better handle on the direction we want to take -- which is slight more talented kids of the original formula. I'm sorry, but its no coincidence that Meech and Manny just so happened to be the two most athletic kids on this team, but the lowest basketball IQ as well. In addition, recruiting and signing Pangos, Dranginis, Spangler, Sarbaugh, and Bell Jr was very thoughtful in the process and intent of such players. ALL very hard workers, high character, extremely high basketball IQ. We are mixing in the right amount of athleticism w/o losing control of our identity. We started to lose this a bit in the last 3 recruiting classes, but we're back to the blueprint which started it all -- with even more talent on the roster.

Fantastic post...these are my exact sentiments.

Blitzing-Zag
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
After seeing the team interact with Few after the WCC Tourney its hard to believe that they all hate him, but you guys are more in the know then I. Nonetheless, it is quite concerning if we loss KO too this offseason.

ZagAddict
05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
This post is quickly getting off topic and getting into dangerous waters. I'm having a hard time remembering a post on this board where there wasn't a contingent bashing players and coaches by name.

Remember that players and future recruits read this board and formulate opinions based upon discussions on this board. These boards can be powerful tools... both positive and negative. I remember Steve Alford siting one of the reasons he left Iowa as being the damaging information being spawned on boards that created turmoil for the team and hurt recruitment of players they were targeting.

I would be very careful about where this discussion is going and what names are being thrown out. I feel this board is becoming a tool that is actually becoming detracting from what we want this board to offer fans and the team. I know there will always be the argument for freedom of speech, but be very careful what you wish for... I just may come true.

TexasZagFan
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
After seeing the team interact with Few after the WCC Tourney its hard to believe that they all hate him, but you guys are more in the know then I. Nonetheless, it is quite concerning if we loss KO too this offseason.

Off-topic, but congratulations to you on your graduation!

On Monday, I celebrate the 35th anniversary of my graduation from GU.

Welcome to a very select fraternity!

U Zig, I Zag
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
+1 ZA

We are kidding ourselves if we don't think the players (and some of the staff) read these boards and other blogs. It's part of the game.

Goshzagit
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
After seeing the team interact with Few after the WCC Tourney its hard to believe that they all hate him.

What are you talking about, this is obviously hatred!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gKfebm4kk644/220x.jpg

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2011/03/07/srx_Zag_winners_2_t400.jpg?fd5af0684d698ce74dd4392 bafb4f89a6dc66ee3

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/03/23/2002885719.jpg
(apologies for bringing back such memories)

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mark-few.jpg

Jedster
05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm not going to name any names, but I knew most of the basketball team in recent history. And it wasn't the guys that weren't getting playing time that were complaining about Few. Admittedly, I only know a couple players on our current roster, but haven't brought up this topic. BUT, I can assure you, the feeling throughout the team in RECENT history was that no one liked him. I stand by that too, every single player on the team. Even down to the last guy that worked his butt off and was an avid cheerleader on the bench. I even had a a class with a certain player. Our prof asked him if he ever went flyfishing with Few. his response was, "I would never go anywhere with that man that I didn't have to. I can't stand him." It was a very awkward moment, and he was a starter.

There's been a couple people in this thread who have stated some or all of the players hate Few. What are their reasons? Is it he's a demanding coach that doesn't let up? Is he a liar? Does he make them tie his flies? Why don't they like him? Just curious.

the_Canadian_Pipeline
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
All these kids wanna get to the NBA and Gonzaga isn't giving them an opportunity to do it right now. I think a lot of recruits figured the roster would have thinned out by now, with either Harris or Sacre declaring, but it hasn't happened yet and KO has another year sitting on the bench to do before he even gets a shot at starting and by then he will have another batch of power forward prospects to battle with for playing time.

MDABE80
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Big loss if Kelly leaves GU. He did have a very good and improved 2nd year. I suppose this thread will conclude sometime next Thursday after 10 pages. Nothing will be settled by friendships will be strained. Not much will be learned.

One thing I'd like to comment on is ron's apparent contention the GU doesn't show love for the Candaian kids. It's a big batch of provocative Bulls**t.

krozman
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Big loss if Kelly leaves GU. t.

Ya, unlike Meech, KO has tremenous upside. Hope he stays.

Ebay
05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Being a recent graduate and knowing a few players and other people closely associated with the program, I got the same feeling from them. I heard from a few players about how incredible of a game-day coach Few is. He motivates the team before, during, and after games very well. He also runs practices effectively. That being said, there is much more to coaching student athletes. They have lives outside the game, and apparently(direct from players mouths) Few was not very involved in them. This is where Tommy came in and excelled. Don't get me wrong, it's a tough task to find a guy that fits this mold perfectly, especially when dealing with 13-15 college age players that starred on their respective AAU/high school teams. It just seemed like that was an important issue with a few players.

Goshzagit
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Success is, indeed, a journey and not a destination.

Some of these kids seem to think otherwise and fail to see the bigger picture on occassion.

Case in point -- look at St Mary's current and past teams.

Their players generally come in with a 40+ ranking on ESPN recruiting, maybe 1-2 star recruits(save Holt) and ALL work their way up the food chain as they progress/develop all 4 years. They seem to have starters every single year that came out of nowhere until their Senior campaign.

Heck, for example, Mickey McConnell averaged 6 mins, 1 ppg during his Frosh season; followed by 20 mins, 5 ppg in his Soph season....well, we know the rest of the story. He was a WCC POY by his Senior season!!! He worked hard all FOUR years and it paid off huge dividends.

Exact same applies to many other players who round out their team. I'm not comparing programs stability or success b/w the two schools, just simply pointing out how some teams, esp Mid-major teams(Butler anyone?) are built around 4-year players who develop and may not become a major contributor until their Junior or even Senior(final) seasons.

I suppose the price of success is biting us a bit here as well...plus, finding the recruiting mission and sticking to it...

krozman
05-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Few was not very involved in them. .

I'm no expert, but isn't there some NCAA violation in there if he's spending too much time with his team. Hard to draw that line.

ridgebackzag
05-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Totally uncalled for. He said, she said mumbo jumbo. Very similar to this (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/blog/_/name/player_x) controversial blog on ESPN. Anonymity brings a lack of accountability.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Didn't Bobzag already confirm that KO was staying?

Could have sworn I saw him post it somewhere.

Besides, since when is an opinion piece with NO evidence or quotes considered a reliable source?

That site is garbage.

ridgebackzag
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
That being said, there is much more to coaching student athletes. They have lives outside the game, and apparently(direct from players mouths) Few was not very involved in them.

Yea, I get really upset when the CEO of company I work for (350+ employees) doesn't come over and tell me how great of a job I'm doing and wish me well daily.

On the outside, it looks like this is turning into a "whoa is me" conspiracy among the players.

thespywhozaggedme
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Seven, possibly eight transfers in a little over a year; there's clearly an issue.

FuManShoes
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Jeez, great article. No one quoted, no one sourced, not one shred of detail other than reciting some numbers and names and some deep questions like "With [Kelly's] NBA future potentially hanging in the balance, maybe we should be asking why Canadians are going to Gonzaga in the first place?" To which one, if they wanted to play that game, might respond, "With a troubling pattern of underachievement by Canadian players and unrealistic demands for their playing time by Canadian fans, why is Gonzaga recruiting in Canada anyway?" Of course it would be irresponsible to play that game, because we've had success with some Canadian players, there are many reasons why a player may not get the PT they or others expect and fact is Kelly is nowhere near NBA ready and those who suggest as much need to wipe the maple syrup from their eyes.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-06-2011, 10:56 AM
There it is,

http://http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=666218#post666218 (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=666218#post666218)

I trust Bobzag's info a lot more than the numbnuts who wrote the opinion piece on that junk website.

Ebay
05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Yea, I get really upset when the CEO of company I work for (350+ employees) doesn't come over and tell me how great of a job I'm doing and wish me well daily.

On the outside, it looks like this is turning into a "whoa is me" conspiracy among the players.

Not sure that analogy works here. But it made me think of a fun thought:

If Mark Few were the "CEO" of Gonzaga basketball, what would the stock price be? Would it be a safe or risky investment choice?

Not sure I'd invest...if I actually had any money to invest.

zagnut2012
05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I can assure you, the feeling throughout the team in RECENT history was that no one liked him. I stand by that too, every single player on the team. Even down to the last guy that worked his butt off and was an avid cheerleader on the bench.

Seriously?? Ever heard of one of the most successful and hated coaches in NCAA history Bobby Knight? Are we now going to say that a coach needs to win the popularity contest with his players instead of the succeeding as a program? How many other top level programs have players that would not voluntarily sit around a campfire holding hands and singing KUMBAYA with there coach!

I don't believe for a second that Coach Few rises anywhere near the a**hole, chair throwing, player choking Coach Knight.

Do the players have to like him? NO! Do they need to respect him and buy into the system? YES!

Zagnut 2012

thespywhozaggedme
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
There it is,

http://http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=666218#post666218 (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=666218#post666218)

I trust Bobzag's info a lot more than the numbnuts who wrote the opinion piece on that junk website.

Bob hasn't posted in this particular thread. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that that concerns me a little.

ZagsObserver
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
This whole bit about players not liking Few is garbage. He's not a Paul Westphal type coach, but he is in fact liked by the majority of players (contrary to what has been posted here), and he demands success, which aids in the development of players...that's the type of coach I would want.

bulldoginpdx
05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
If I was BZ I wouldn't type any response to this thread regardless of any info he might have. This over speculation doomed ship screaming bloody murder crying wolf is nonsensical.

ronh_pm
05-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Big loss if Kelly leaves GU. He did have a very good and improved 2nd year. I suppose this thread will conclude sometime next Thursday after 10 pages. Nothing will be settled by friendships will be strained. Not much will be learned.

One thing I'd like to comment on is ron's apparent contention the GU doesn't show love for the Candaian kids. It's a big batch of provocative Bulls**t.

Aww...play nice Doc.... we are on the same team.

The intent was to highlight some of the vitriol and all around general nastiness that gets posted by the passionate GU Board members each and every time one of these rumours or indeed actual stories hits the web.

Like most people, I enjoy reading other people’s opinions. It is interesting to see where I agree and or disagree and to discuss the differences of opinion. Most of the time, actually the vast majority of the time, the threads are interesting and afford the chance for the average Gonzaga fan to learn a little more about their team.

However, one of the things I have noticed is, there is a minority of posters that discuss even the most positive of events with a negative attitude. And that’s ok, but in making their cases, there is little regard for the individuals and the individual’s feelings being discussed; not to mention the complete disregard for the other posters opinions.

As I knew would happen with my post, there would be all sorts of reaction, most of it negative, with blame being distributed pretty much across the board. From K.O‘s ego out growing his seven foot stature to Coach Few being a monster, the reaction is all over the board but the common theme is there is blame. I haven’t seen a post saying, “You know, Kelly would be a good fit at X.Y. University…they could use a player like him” or perhaps, “ It’s too bad that Kelly could not find a way to work into Mark Few’s system”. And we never will.

Rather than discuss positives, even in a negative situation, it is easier to type barbs, insults and in a lot of cases out right mistruths. To what end?

So I choose to poke fun at these situations rather than to try and engage in a conversation where there really is no one interested in listening. I thought I had the tongue firmly planted deep enough in my cheek that everyone could see it. I guess with all that has been going on, patience and humour are wearing thin.

Cheers

ronh_pm
05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Jeez, great article. No one quoted, no one sourced, not one shred of detail other than reciting some numbers and names and some deep questions like "With [Kelly's] NBA future potentially hanging in the balance, maybe we should be asking why Canadians are going to Gonzaga in the first place?" To which one, if they wanted to play that game, might respond, "With a troubling pattern of underachievement by Canadian players and unrealistic demands for their playing time by Canadian fans, why is Gonzaga recruiting in Canada anyway?" Of course it would be irresponsible to play that game, because we've had success with some Canadian players, there are many reasons why a player may not get the PT they or others expect and fact is Kelly is nowhere near NBA ready and those who suggest as much need to wipe the maple syrup from their eyes.

Point in case.

odeasmcgu
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
From ESPN this morning-

Zags lose another to transfer?
3:09
PM ETGonzaga Bulldogs TopEmailCommentsThe 2010-11 season was supposed to be a breakout campaign for Kelly Olynyk. However, the sophomore barely increased his minutes per game and seemed to gain little traction in a frontcourt that, to be honest, seemed overwhelmed at times. Now comes word Olynyk may be considering a transfer.

If he does decide to move from Spokane, Olynyk would be the first member of the 2009 recruiting class to transfer (after the entire 2008 class has since departed, following Demetri Goodson's decision). Nothing is official but it will be interesting to see if Olynyk does decide to transfer; we wonder if a question was raised whether Olynyk would redshirt the upcoming season, a path that has been whispered about in the past.

It has been interesting, in the wake of recent transfers, to see the path Gonzaga's recruiting has taken in the new decade. Certainly the athletic quality of recruits has increased, as has the role of Donny Daniels; through the former UCLA assistant (and the work of other assistants), Gonzaga has greatly expanded into California and Arizona.

We will continue to keep you updated in case there is more official news regarding Olynyk.

- Matt Giles

FuManShoes
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Link for ESPN Insider post http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors

Of course, the blogger doesn't say where "word" of the potential transfer is coming from. It could be the Canadian site, it could be this board.

jazzdelmar
05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
its one thing for a hyland (bad skills) or a kong (bad actor) to split, but now we are seeing core players defecting. meech, manny and kelly were rotation players if not starters over the past several years. thats an indictment of something fundamentally awry in the program and should require some sort of explanation from someone above the coach.

one could take a pollyanna point of view (im shocked no one has yet), and declare that all of these defectors took one look at the way the wind is blowing with respect to highly talented newbies and transfers coming in and decided their p.t. time and their days were numbered. thats a reach, but one that may become the program's central talking point as days go on.

NewLookZag
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, looks like this rumor I asked about DID hold some water... Anyways, this is getting a bit ridiculous. I hope Kelly stays, BUT I am going to look at this with a glass half full.

Players see that the new recruits coming in are legit. They see themselves losing minutes. Otherwise, I simply can't see why everyone is leaving. Why would Olynyk leave, for anything else other than minutes??

bigblahla
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Posting this article on this board now is nothing more than yelling fire in a crowded theater.

I used to enjoy this place it was about GU hoops and now it's a frickin soap opera.

I don't and won't believe a word of it until it comes from Kelly himself.

This place is getting depressing and I'm a half full glass guy.

Does all the BS in the world that mentions GU have to appear here?

This thread is entirely unnecessary at this time.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

2wiceright
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Lord, I really hope this isn't true and stays speculation or a rumor. I've always been a fan of Kelly and think he could really be a tough mathup for other teams if everything comes together next year and he finally becomes comfortable in his body (stops growing). On top of that how is this going to make Gonzage look after all the departures- especially now that Meech is leaving!? I have a real bad feeling on how this could really hurt future recruiting....Most of all, though, he's a great kid and role model, both on and off the court (to say nothing about his academics)...

bulldoginpdx
05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Jazz your like a news reporter disappointed when the story is not "flashy" enough for you. Obviously since all these transfers are going on there must be some fundamental sinking ship problem with the "program". All you are saying is someone must give me the "answer" and that person must be high up in the program and reveal why we are heading this way. Guess what its really none of your business. You wanting it one way or a supposed "answer" is just adding fire to a forest fire. Honestly generally I like the stand you take and you bring up questions others are not really addressing or at least without being overly "special" but its getting a little old buddy.

MDABE80
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
BZ said he'll be at GU. See how these rumors get going? And now the ball is rolling. School's out sooon..I guess we'l hear more.

I hope you all rmemeber the guy who came to post..had 1 post and it was a long post....right before the season began.

He complained bitterly about how Kelly would leave if not given more time. He said Kelly wouldn't "rot on the bench" is how he phrased it.

Somebody's stirring the sheeeeeeeeeeeit out of the ###. Only Kelly and Few can settle this for sure.

ronh_pm
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Posting this article on this board now is nothing more than yelling fire in a crowded theater.

I used to enjoy this place it was about GU hoops and now it's a frickin soap opera.

I don't and won't believe a word of it until it comes from Kelly himself.

This place is getting depressing and I'm a half full glass guy.

Does all the BS in the world that mentions GU have to appear here?

This thread is entirely unnecessary at this time.
Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

I could not agree more. It was going to be posted sooner or later so, I posted it and lampooned it at the same time as my way showing displeasure with this stuff.

Bogozags
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
BZ said he'll be at GU. See how these rumors get going? And now the ball is rolling. School's out sooon..I guess we'l hear more.

I hope you all rmemeber the guy who came to post..had 1 post and it was a long post....right before the season began.

He complained bitterly about how Kelly would leave if not given more time. He said Kelly wouldn't "rot on the bench" is how he phrased it.

Somebody's stirring the sheeeeeeeeeeeit out of the ###. Only Kelly and Few can settle this for sure.

I remember well that post and never gave it any credence and still don't but I would be remiss to completely dismiss that point as we have lost three kids last year and three this year.

I completely agree that only Coach Few and KO can determine the future regarding his staying or transferring and I will not succumb to continued speculation.

Bogozags
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Brilliant!

Also, there was an ol' Swedish proverb that went something like this:

"Coach Few gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest."

Nice! You say that is Svedish!?

scott257
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I can't help but think some people want to make drama where there is none. If there were hard feelings between the players and coaches - you would see it. Instead all you see when you watch a Gonzaga game is positive interaction between the players and the coaching staff - all of them. It certainly isn't the foul mouthed exchange you see between Calipari and his players. Give it a rest. Kelly had some really good minutes last season and I will always remember that big 3 pointer against Baylor (and Stockton's response).

I would go so far as to say that based on real evidence, much of the negative crap here today has been made up and isn't worthy to be read.

NewLookZag
05-06-2011, 01:00 PM
While I was a student, I heard the same thing; however, it was always from the players whom never played much(if at all) or as much as they thought they deserved. I'll never forget hanging out with Tyler Amaya and hearing him go off about "Coach Few is stubborn, or doesn't get it, etc" blah blah blah. There is a reason why he left. However, I also spoke with Ronny Turiaf during the same stretch and he had the best of things to say about Coach Few, "He's a good man, great Coach, looks out for the best for us, etc" Two sides to every coin and perception is always in the eye of the beholder.

Not to mention the multiple times I've spoken with Sam Dower over the years and heard glowing reports about Coach Few working with him individually, making him work harder than he's ever had to before, bringing out the best of his abilities, paying his dues, etc.

I find it so interesting (if this is true) that the players who didn't respect Few, or what he said, and didn't like him, went on to do NOTHING on the court...? Meanwhile, you give an example of Ronny Turiaf raving about him.... You know, the same Ronny Turiaf who is the the NBA's New York Knicks starting center? Those who don't respect the coach, and can't work with the coach, usually turn out to be the problem.

Like I've said 100 times on this board. When one of the players we've lost to transfers actually produces somewhere else, I'll start to worry. Kids these days feel entitled. They don't want to work hard. Those who do, have success.

23dpg
05-06-2011, 01:15 PM

I have no idea whether any of this is true or not. But your boardname KOzag08 certainlty leads me to believe you are either KO(doubtful), a friend of KO, or maybe just his biggest fan. That may influence your post and probably how I react to it.

stevet75
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
to be an athlete, but thinking back on it, I never liked a single coach that I ever played for, until I graduated or moved on, then they were great and some became friends.

vandalzag
05-06-2011, 01:22 PM
its one thing for a hyland (bad skills) or a kong (bad actor) to split, but now we are seeing core players defecting. meech, manny and kelly were rotation players if not starters over the past several years. thats an indictment of something fundamentally awry in the program and should require some sort of explanation from someone above the coach.

one could take a pollyanna point of view (im shocked no one has yet), and declare that all of these defectors took one look at the way the wind is blowing with respect to highly talented newbies and transfers coming in and decided their p.t. time and their days were numbered. thats a reach, but one that may become the program's central talking point as days go on.

Way make facts out of fiction. What exactly is awry at the progam? Team wins, makes tourney, no violations, kids go to class, big presence in the community...yep this is something we should notify the justice department about...

Nothing pollyanna about saying Meech and Manny left due to PT. That is exactly why. Writing was on the wall for both of them with the recruits coming in next year. Goodson wisely is pursuing a sport that he will have a chance at getting paid to play, not really an indictment on the program. Manny's development stalled to the point where he had become a roll player. Some kids are willing to stay in that spot, some are not and look elsewhere. If the players are not leaving due to lack of playing time than what is the reason? What inside information do you have that we are all missing?

It boils down to missed opportunities in recruiting and the staff taking fliers (bad misses) and then recruiting over the existing talent. That is part of major basketball. It would be one thing if the kids that were leaving were going to mid-majors or bcs schools and playing. But they are not most if not all are dropping to lower level competition.

maynard g krebs
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
If true, this really is understandable. When Dower got up to speed defensively, he passed KO in the rotation, and KO's minutes dropped. As a jr, he looks to be the 4th big, behind Sacre, Harris, Dower. Doubtful that Harris moves to the 3, and it's probable that only 2 bigs will play most of the time.

Kids want to play. If they're likely to get 20+ min. in their jr year, they see their career slipping away and look for a better opportunity. It could be nothing more than that (again, if true.)

cjm720
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
to be an athlete, but thinking back on it, I never liked a single coach that I ever played for, until I graduated or moved on, then they were great and some became friends.

Yep. A good (and smart) boss is rarely your friend.

MickMick
05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Disgusting thread all the way around.

My loyalty is with Few. When he takes the next available opening, that is where my attention will go.

OZZY
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Having followed Kelly since before the Zags were really interested in him I think that it is mostly a case of things not working out as planned. With Elias coming back to play his Junior season, Kelly is now stuck between Harris and an vaunted incoming Freshman.

It was obvious at the beginning of last year that Few was trying to run with Elias at the 3, but he couldn't play the three. KO was pencilled in to the 4, but he just wasn't strong/agressive enough to make up for Elias' inability to play the 3 and not as good an option as Elias at the 4. To say that Sam is ahead of Kelly right now, IMO is not correct, it is more situational, and they are often both out together at the same time.

With Tommy leaving, some players who do not get to "work with coach Few" like Sam Dower appears to have, are not able to get feedback from him directly. From what I understand that since KO has been with the team, coach Few has not once sat down with Kelly to discuss what is expected from him..........

This is directly opposite to the situation at Canada basketball where coach Rautins has given Kelly the confidence to go out and play his best. Sure Canada may not have a great senior team right now, but he did play against some NBA players during the tournament last summer and held his own, it is amazing what backing can do to a players confidence.

Kelly could have gone to UBC, played basketball with a perrenial power and got a degree from a higher ranked university. IMHO He chose to come to Gonzaga as it offered a chance to play against better competition and would be a springboard to a better professional future.

As I have said several times before my biggest concern with the situation at Gonzaga is the staff's communication with the players
once they have arrived at GU. Perhaps this was also part of the problem with Manny's situation.

On the glass half full side, I do not expect Kelly to leave, he loves GU and is doing very well (3.52 GPA) in the engineering program. He has also taken a heavy load the first two years and that will allow him to focus even more on his Basketball during his final two years.

For those posters who believe that Kelly is not good enough to make a serious impact on D1, better evaluators than you have concluded otherwise.

Just my 5 cents worth.

Zig-Zag
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
More than a rumor, serious discussion regaurding playing time and his furture NBA chances.

BobZag
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Kelly is staying. Can all the fish stop biting? It's been confirmed. C'mon, fishies.