PDA

View Full Version : Uab

SLOZag
06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Sounds like the UAB matchup is about to finalized. It appears it will be a one-for-one, rather than the speculated two-for-one:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/06/uab_may_play_gonzaga_kentucky.html

"The Gonzaga game is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 29 and probably would be played in Seattle.

The teams are also scheduled for a return game during the 2008-09 season, which probably would be played at the BJCC Arena."

ZagNative
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
That link didn't work for me. Here's another:

Birmingham News (http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/06/uab_may_play_gonzaga_kentucky.html)

December 29 in Seattle? Is this game going to be the Battle in Seattle?

I gather the formal announcement of the team chosen for the BIS is expected to be made July 28th, just before Hoopfest, where seven Zag players will be manning a "Battle-in-Seattle" booth (http://www.northwestsports.org/news_details.cfm?newsarticle=39).

CDC84
06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
FYI....The BJCC stands for the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center. In other words, the return game wouldn't be played on the campus of UAB.

Birddog
06-26-2007, 05:42 AM
I may be jumping to conclusions here, but if UAB is the opponent for the BIS, then that game is dropping in stature . Perhaps a new name would be in order.
What happened to the Hoya rumor?

Birddog

ZagNative
06-26-2007, 06:15 AM
I think BZ said earlier that Georgetown agreeing to play in Memphis ruled out the BIS game.

VaBeachZAG
06-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't mind a home-and-home with UAB; I don't particularly mind if it turns out to be a one-for-one arrangement. However, the BIS should be an annual national showcase game. UAB simply doesn't belong in the BIS given its current mediocre competitive status. Unfortunately, for scheduling purposes, most potential opponents see the BIS as a home game for the Zags (a fair conclusion given the great crowd response at previous BIS'), which I am sure makes pulling in a top flight opponent difficult. Nevertheless, all stops need to be pulled out to get high level opponents in to the BIS. So far BIS scheduling has been quite good (although Nevada was a border line name, it put a high caliber team on the floor last year). Unfortunately, UAB is no Fazikas led Nevada team. Lets hope the UAB game will be in K2, not Seattle!

thickman1
06-26-2007, 08:48 AM
The UAB game is much bigger for UAB than it is for GU. Kinda disappointing.

zagfan08
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
i would be disappointed if the BiS is against UAB

but i wouldnt mind at all if they came to K2 as part of a home and home deal

BobZag
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
A 2-for-1 makes sense, with a 2nd game in K2. Anything less is disappointing.

RebornZag
06-26-2007, 11:33 AM
UAB in the Battle in Seattle? Please! Please say NO!!!:(

Here's my BIS wish list:

1. Florida...A loss to the Zags in Seattle would not hurt them next year.
2. UNLV. I like this team next year. It'd be a great match-up for Zags.
3. Pittsburg. They're coming to Seattle anyway to play dogs. Why not play two dogs in one weekend.
4. Why not Duke? We played them in their backyard last year. Chickens!!
5. How about Oregon? Now that the Fuskies have turned chicken.....
6. Why not Texas again? Love the match up with them.
7. But NOT UAB please

Frazzle
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I, too, would be disappointed to see the Zags play UAB in the BiS. However, I can't say that I am surprised. With the networks' reluctance to an early agreement to televise a game like the BiS during football season, it is difficult to get commits from some big majors to come play a game against a team that could very likely beat them on a "neutral" site.

229SintoZag
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
If the best we can do with the BIS is games against the likes of UAB, we shouldn't do the BIS.

Give the season ticket holders another true home game and return it to UAB's campus, if nothing else.

If true, our BIS opponents will be Missouri, Oklahoma State, UMass, Nevada, and now UAB. Pretty underwhelming given the hype surrounding the BIS and what it was designed and conceived to be initially.

This is very disappointing if true. OSU was legit; Missouri turned out to be an NIT team, and Nevada is a decent overachiever of late but hardly a marquee game.

Gonzaga can and should do better.

lothar98zag
06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
IMHO, as far as opponents go - before the game was played:

I was happy w/ Mizzoo. (top 5 preseason & when the game was played)

I was fine w/ Ok St. (not highly ranked that season, but still a relatively big "name")

I was borderline, but still OK w/ Nevada.

I was extremely unsatisfied w/ UMass.

For me, UAB would have been below Nevada, probably similar to UMass. I'm glad to hear the BiS opponent is still TBD.

UAB is not the BiS opponent (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3488)