PDA

View Full Version : So who will go higher in next years NBA draft Sacre or Harris?

GodZaga76
04-27-2011, 11:36 AM
It's a year away and they both have one more great Zag season left, so that's what makes this fun who do you think will get it done this year?You think maybe we could actually have to 1st rounders taken next year? Let me know

cjm720
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Sacre, Harris will not leave early IMO.

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
It's a year away and they both have one more great Zag season left, so that's what makes this fun who do you think will get it done this year?You think maybe we could actually have to 1st rounders taken next year? Let me know

Elias is a junior, Rob's a senior, but if they both came out next year, my answer is Rob. You can't teach 7 foot and EH is an NBA tweener.

GodZaga76
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I know Harris is a junior, but I don't see him sticking around for his senior season. I just feel with his age and how injury's get to him this is his year he has to do it.

former1dog
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
At this point, I would say neither is going to get drafted. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. It doesn't mean they aren't fantastic players, I just don't think the NBA powers that be would consider them one of the best 70 (?) prospects in the world.

gu03alum
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
At this point, I would say neither is going to get drafted. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. It doesn't mean they aren't fantastic players, I just don't think the NBA powers that be would consider them one of the best 70 (?) prospects in the world.

I agree. There needs to be a lot of improvement for both of them if they are to be drafted. Seniors and Juniors are ignored unless they have player of the year type seasons.

GodZaga76
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree. There needs to be a lot of improvement for both of them if they are to be drafted. Seniors and Juniors are ignored unless they have player of the year type seasons.

No way Sacre being at 7ft and the way he shoots ft's won't get drafted. He maybe a 2nd rounder but NBA teams are willing to take a shot usually on a big man that has a touch like that from the ft line.

gu03alum
04-27-2011, 11:53 AM
No way Sacre being at 7ft and the way he shoots ft's won't get drafted. He maybe a 2nd rounder but NBA teams are willing to take a shot usually on a big man that has a touch like that from the ft line.

I understand what you are saying and agree with it. It just seems like if the NBA is interested in somebody it doesn't just happen in the player's senior year. I haven't really seen his name mentioned on the nba draft websites before and he didn't even do the test the waters thing after his Junior year.

former1dog
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM

From what I've seen watching NBA games over the past several years is that it is no longer good enough to "just be a 7 footer". You've got to be athletically gifted even at that height. While Big Rob is a physical specimen, he doesn't necessarily jump out of the gym and isn't necessarily quick compared to other top players. Sure, he can shoot free throw very well, but picking up fouls against NBA talent is not a given for Mr. Sacre.

GodZaga76
04-27-2011, 12:32 PM
From what I've seen watching NBA games over the past several years is that it is no longer good enough to "just be a 7 footer". You've got to be athletically gifted even at that height. While Big Rob is a physical specimen, he doesn't necessarily jump out of the gym and isn't necessarily quick compared to other top players. Sure, he can shoot free throw very well, but picking up fouls against NBA talent is not a given for Mr. Sacre.

Yeah but if Rob works as hard as he has every off season to improve, he will get noticed this year. I really think we will see a huge jump in his game this year, he knows this is it, and will bring it. It's going to be fun to see him this year being the total leader of the team(even though he kinda was last year, but now that his boyfriend Gray is gone) I expect to see some killer huddles with his team on the court just getting at them.

former1dog
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah but if Rob works as hard as he has every off season to improve, he will get noticed this year. I really think we will see a huge jump in his game this year, he knows this is it, and will bring it. It's going to be fun to see him this year being the total leader of the team(even though he kinda was last year, but now that his boyfriend Gray is gone) I expect to see some killer huddles with his team on the court just getting at them.

I hope you're right. I think he's got to average 20 and 10 to even get a sniff.

Also paramount will be developing and using the short jumper, taking someone off the dribble on occasion and learning NOT to bring the ball down so it can be stripped or he can be tied up by much smaller players.

GodZaga76
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I hope you're right. I think he's got to average 20 and 10 to even get a sniff.

Also paramount will be developing and using the short jumper, taking someone off the dribble on occasion and learning NOT to bring the ball down so it can be stripped or he can be tied up by much smaller players.

I think the 20 and 10 is going to be hard, not that I don't think he cannot do it but, it just seems like besides when Few ran the lets let Ammo shoot all he wants offense that one year. Are teams play a more spread the wealth type of game. I am not complaining about it, just wondering where Harris's stats or Sacres would be if we did that with one of them this year.

LongIslandZagFan
04-27-2011, 12:54 PM
IMHO Rob has less of a jump to make than EH does to get drafted... IF Rob works on his footwork a touch and softens those hands he has a decent shot at a 2nd round pick. Also, if he continues to work on his midrange shot... You can't teach height and his FT% is a major plus. He just needs to get rid of the dumb TOs that creeped up from time to time.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2011, 01:08 PM
There are a lot of aged big men in the league (Shaq, McDyess, Camby, Kurt Thomas, Juwan Howard). Also, Sacre is very strong, and probably stronger than many centers in the league right now. I look at a team like the Celtics who are relying on Big Baby Davis and Jermaine Oneil at the center spot and think they could use a guy like Rob. He is underrated as a defender, as well. If his feet were a little faster it would raise my confidence but he could be a solid role player in the league, IMO.

ZagLawGrad
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Sacre a slight chance with a whole lot of work.

EH, no chance absent a major change in his game.

Hope both read this thread, get major pi**ed off, and prove it wrong.

gu03alum
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
IMO, Sacre is going to have to nearly double his rebounding production. One thing I have been reading is that NBA scouts see rebounding as one college stat that really translates well from college to the NBA. Rebounding, more than most other stats, has to do with wanting it. A 7 footer that only averages 6 rebounds a game and has games where he has 0 rebounds is not desirable for the NBA. I'm not trying to rip on him even though it may appear that way. I really like him and think he's a great player. I just think he's going to have to improve that part of his game a lot to get noticed for the NBA.

ZagFanInNC
04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
In the NBA you have superstars and role players, nothing inbetween.

If Sacre can be strong on the boards and develop his face up/jump shot game more he will be drafted in the first round IMO.

Elias is a tweener so he needs to identify his strengths next year and highlight them in a major way. I think that he needs to improve his game on the perimeter, if he has that solid along with his inside game for a 3 he will be wanted by teams. He has a whole off season and regular season to do it so it is possible.

Like I said, nearly everyone other than the superstar is a role player. If these guys can develop and highlight those skills it wont matter where they get drafted, they will be in the league for a long time.

scott257
04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Sacre is an enigma to me. Everyone talks about how strong he is, and he looks strong......except when he is taking the ball up to the hoop. I can't count the number of times last season where he looked like a wimp and had the ball knocked out of his hands. If he can fix that and make his move with authority he will be a first rounder. If not, he is probably headed overseas.

zag944
04-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Sacre a slight chance with a whole lot of work.

EH, no chance absent a major change in his game.

yep. let's keep in mind there's only sixty players that get drafted a year.

last I checked nbadraft.net said no Zags this year or next, and that site is considerably more friendly to us than real life is. Going into drafts its had Pargo, Josh, Downs, Bouldin, Raivio getting picked and none of them did. After his first few freshmen games, it had Daye going first overall.

Sacre needs to pull down a bunch more rebounds a game. Harris needs to significantly improve across the board.

Ezag
04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Neither!

jazzdelmar
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
neither......dont see sacre as even a poor mans aaron gray, who was a heck of a player at pitt....harris is sayonara.

Zagsker
04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
In order for Sacre to get drafted he is going to have to improve on getting off the floor (elevation) a whole lot quicker (my grandma is a split second behind him right now) and he needs to incorporate some quick moves within his post game

In order for Harris to get drafted his ball handling is going to have to drastically improve, he needs to be able to get off a quick jumper and he needs to incorporate some more moves off the dribble...I do like that he seemed to learn as the season went on that you cannot just lower your head/shoulder and plow into people

Both have solid foundations to build off of...but they need work to make NBA squads. Remember, Christian Laettner shot good from the foul line as well:D

zag944
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
what was wrong with Christian Laettner?

The guy played for like a dozen years, most of which he was a quality starter. He was pretty consistently doing 14 and 8 or so if memory serves, and was an all star at least once.

Not HoF caliber or anything, but a quality player like perhaps Kenyon Martin or Lamar Odom. Id be thrilled if Harris or Sacre made even close to that kind of impact in the NBA.

Bogozags
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
what was wrong with Christian Laettner?

The guy played for like a dozen years, most of which he was a quality starter. He was pretty consistently doing 14 and 8 or so if memory serves, and was an all star at least once.

Not HoF caliber or anything, but a quality player like perhaps Kenyon Martin or Lamar Odom. Id be thrilled if Harris or Sacre made even close to that kind of impact in the NBA.

Christian Laettner was a GREAT college player and has the distinction of being the last amateur on the Mens Olympic Team (1992) the same year Shaq came out as a junior.

Rob is a really nice guy who can't rebound like a 7-footer. If he can't rebound in college against average talent, then he is not going to rebound in the NBA. He has slow feet and doesn't have the knack of getting to the right spot to rebound. If he had Manny's innate ability to get to the ball, then he would be an easy bet to get drafted.

He really needs to pick up his offensive skills, keep the ball up be really aggressive and dominate against everyone in the paint.

As another poster stated, beng a 7-footer no longer means your ticket gets punched.

EH has to either grow two/three more inches or become one heck of an outside threat, who can play defense against "NBA 3's" as that jump-stop he has won't get him far against really athletic players he will have to face. He also needs to get a little quicker or more instinctive in stead of reactive. He showed a lot more instinctiveness as a freshman and sometimes as a 2nd year player but he has to "seize the day" whenever he gets the ball.

I hope they both have great seasons and GU does well and they get drafted of invited to camps...fingers are crossed at this point.

ridgebackzag
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM

I disagree. Sacre had a lot of talking heads going on about him the second half of last season. He's a a great scorer and he can shoot his free throws. Both of those things will get him drafted.

23dpg
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I say neither also but I hope that I'm wrong twice.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-28-2011, 06:00 AM
I'll wager that Sacre goes in the second round. NBA teams will often use that second-round pick on a big body with the hope that he can provide some depth. Mario Kasun and Paul Rogers come to mind as Zags who were drafted at that size. I don't think that either of them was necessarily a better player than Sacre, although Rogers had a lot of 20-10 games. Sacre is a much better defender than Rogers was. Neither Kasun nor Rogers had much impact in the NBA.

Harris has the same problem that Casey Calvary had - the tweener label. Like Calvary, he is an excellent college power forward with good hops and an agressive attitude, but he only has the height of an NBA small forward. NBA teams tend to pass on players like that. They want the power forwards to have enough height to guard NBA centers and Harris doesn't have that height. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard an NBA wing, so he is going to have to show something very special in his game or they're not going to take him.

Colbyspapa
04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Elias won't get drafted. I don't think there is anything he can do about it either. The scouts have seen what they need to out of him. He is a good college player who I like having on our team. He is a good person and a great representative of our school. He will have a good career in Europe.

Rob needs to rebound more than 10 a game to get drafted. If he goes for 16/8, he will be in Europe. If he goes for 16/12, he may get a look in the draft. He should get invited to camp regardless. There is a place for big guys who can play good D as Rob can. However, this same person needs to be a rebounding magnet and Rob has not shown this yet.

mdZag23
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
really, want to bet on this topic?