• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag67
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Next Year - major minutes

It now looks like we have the core for the team for next year. My question is who do you think will get the major minutes?

Assume no injuries. I think that we can agree on Sacre, Harris and Carter. Now who do you think will be the next 5 or 6 and why. I think that this will allow many of us to define why we think certain players will earn time. I will put my names in later.
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Meech
    Dower
    Olynyk
    Bell
    Pangos

I just think they're the five best remaining players.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• zag67
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

BZ, I agree with the set that you have for those five. I do think that one of the set of MK, MM, or Landry will be there. It will depend on who shows that they are the best to help the team win. Or it might end up by committee, but I do not think that the coaches like this scenario. I do think that the practices would be fun to watch.

Comment

• krozman
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2008

The hairs on the back of my neck state that this is KO's year.
        Krozman
        GU student 1996-2000
        Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• jpwils
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Battles not on paper

I am pretty well convinced that Sacre, Harris, Carter, and Dower will shine and continue to deserve at or near 25-30 plus minutes per game. Of course foul trouble and injuries always play into the mix.

However, I don't totally agree ( yet) with BZ's choices, although these might prove true. Although Pangos and Bell sound wonderful...

Stockton came in too many times last year during conference play and provided heads up plays on both sides of the ball. He was our game-changer much of the time!
          To me, Goodson got too many minutes last year and will need to "bring it"
          offensively- I am no longer sold on the speed and defense thing with him- we fall behind too many times playing 4 on 5 ball. I like Meech's physicality and
          know he is a rising senior...to me , he either earns it with solid play or sits.

Bell and Pangos have to EARN consistent minutes over guys like Stockton and
          Keita. I think different situations should dictate who plays and how much.
          Being annointed is dangerous but being promoted due to good play is a better precedent. Hart played solid D and made free throws in important situations.

Likewise, if KO plays too soft, Spangler could and should move ahead of him.
          We can no longer afford "potential " grabbing minutes over production.

Frankly I'm not sure where or if Landry fits (yet). But if he out -hustles Monninghoff or if Dranginis shoots lights out and the other guys still have that "deer-in-headlites look", then by all means play the freshman!!

We cannot practice on paper or play OOC games on paper. There needs to
          be a battle royale for minutes and if the freshmen( any of four) EARN minutes
          so be it!

Go Zags!!

Comment

• zag944
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Sacre, Harris, Carter, Dower and Kelly should see about the same minutes.

Meech, Stockton, and Hart will really have to play well to see the same minutes. The time of SG and those three guys is up for grabs among them, and basically everyone else. Bell, Pangos, Meech, and Stockton would be my guess...with MM and MK, along with the reamining recuits not seeing many minutes.

I hope a couple players, one current player included, take a redshirt. We are losing (at least) 3 of our starters at the end of next season, and therell be many more minutes to go around.

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

I see Bell getting close to 20 minutes a game from the season't first tip. Same with Dower.

Sacre, Harris, Carter will also see 25+ (Sacre a little less possibly due to foul trouble, Carter a bit more due to the trust factor).

Meech, Stock, Pangos will battle out for about 35 minutes.

KO close to 20.

Redshirts - Draganis, Spangler

No idea about the 3...MK, MM, Hart, or Guy? I anticipate another transfer and anticipate a 3 guard lineup with the 3 position used more as a defensive and or scoring option based on game to game needs.
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

I agree Kroz. I think we will finally see the real Kelly.

Also agree with BZ. Would love to see MM or Landry step up and earn some minutes. I still think we could use another shooter (MM) in the lineup.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by krozman View Post
                  This post is worthless without pictures...

Comment

• hooter73
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

Yeah for even earlier than last year KO hype.

If there are no surprises of somebody making a big jump and going off repeatedly and reliably I think we will see a repeat of last year with lots of everyone till January then a drop off in time to cut the rotation. We have that terrible problem of alot of players with a lot of talent. Deep Deep Deep.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2008

My thoughts...

Here is how I see things shaking out by the time conference play rolls around. I am sure there will changes from the initial rotation to this rotation but feel pretty confident. I think the PG position will be a rotation depending on matchups. I also think that Carter will rotate between the 2/3 positions. I really expect KO to step up this year which makes minutes for Spangler minimal. I am not convinced that Pangos will play this season but wouldn't be the worst thing to happen...however, I think that we could rotate Meech/Stockton/Bell/Carter at the position if need be.

Starters:
                      Sacre
                      Harris
                      Carter
                      Bell
                      Meech

Bench by Projected Minutes:
                      Dower
                      Olynyk
                      Landry
                      Stockton/Pangos (shared minutes w/Meech)
                      Hart/MM/MK (spot minutes if on team)

Redshirts:
                      Draginis
                      Spangler
                      Jones (if commits)

Comment

• Zag 77
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Don't forget Sarbaugh

I and others figure he will redshirt which makes sense given some of the guys in the logjam ahead of him. Also will benefit from a year to get stronger.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                          Here is how I see things shaking out by the time conference play rolls around.
                          Looks reasonable to me.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
                            Looks reasonable to me.
                            Carter (starter) Bell off the bench, Stockton (starter), Meech/Pangos off the bench, Hart (starter) Landry/Dranginis off the bench, Sacre (starter) Dower off the bench, Harris (starter) Olynyk off the bench .

I believe Stockton will once again get the most minutes at the point. Meech may start like last year, but then again he may not. I think that Meech will play less minutes this year and Pangos will slowly replace him. Stockton was the best passer last year into the post, and he worked extremely well getting the ball to Dower. I expect David to be much better this year, and that is a good omen for the Zags. I think his defense will improve.

As has been common in years past, most of the attention during the off season is on the guys coming into the program. I think Stockton and Hart have been overlooked, but they will be playing the most minutes at the point guard and the small forward positions, especially at the beginning of the year. By the end of the season Dranginis or Landry could end up starting at the 3 (I have not seen them play). Landry sounds pretty good, and by the middle of the year he could be a starter (as Carter was last year).

I think the question still remains, "Can Harris play the 3?" Well, the answer last year was no; so I think if he would like to play the 3, he will need to stay on campus this summer and really practice a lot. His defense will really need to improve (footwork) and he will need a better outside shot from behind the arch.

These answers are merely a guess, and I honestly believe that the coaches don't even know what is going to happen next year. That's what practices in the Fall are all about, and of course all the out of conference games. Will Kelly blow up next year? He could, and that would change some things.
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zag67
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Reborn - Thanks for "your guess"

I think that like you said even the coaches do not know at this time. Early practices and games will help in that area.

I also think that the 3 position is wide open. If MM or MK come on strong, then I think that you might even have Dranginis RS. Also like you stated at the 3, I think that who starts in the beginning may not be the same by the time the conference starts.

Comment

Working...
                              X