PDA

View Full Version : Two-for-One?

BobZag
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
"I have made the decision that I am going to go where Rotnei Clarke goes," said [Willie] Warren. "I have been playing with Rotnei for a long time and I feel comfortable playing with him. I don't want to miss a beat wherever I go, so he and I are going to attend the same college."

BZ: The staff may wish to go after two guards for 2008, after all. :)

VaBeachZAG
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I see nothing positive for GU in Warren's statement, especially if Clarke is of the same mind!

MBZags
06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Weren't you the one who said that package deals rarely work? Or maybe that was one of the other mods.

BobZag
06-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't know if it's positive or negative, but like I said a few weeks ago, these "package deals" rarely materialize. What if Clarke loves Gonzaga? Will Warren want to follow? If not, will Warren try to convince Clarke to go to Clarke's second or third choice just so they can be together? And, you are right, is Clarke of this same mindset? I haven't read any quotes from Rotnei that indicate he is.

MickMick
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know if it's positive or negative, but like I said a few weeks ago, these "package deals" rarely materialize. What if Clarke loves Gonzaga? Will Warren want to follow? If not, will Warren try to convince Clarke to go to Clarke's second or third choice just so they can be together? And, you are right, is Clarke of this same mindset? I haven't read any quotes from Rotnei that indicate he is.

A better question would be "Would Gonzaga take Warren?"

The answer is "In a heartbeat." I would be more excited about Warren coming to GU than Clarke.

In reality though, this whole scenario is playing out in the direction of Oklahoma or Kentucky :( Interesting that Warren is more commited to Clarke than any of the schools that have thrown their best sales pitch at him. That could put any school that Clarke is interested in as a potential destination for Warren.

BobZag
06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not saying it absolutely won't happen because anything can happen. One expert is saying he thinks Kentucky will package them. (sounds like a food plant) He might be right. All I'm going by is past experience. I lost track of the hundreds of recruits that were a package deal until when it counted. It sounds fun, utopian, etc., when playing AAU together.

Gonzaga "could" offer Warren. All that means is one less 2009 scholie to give, which is fine if you get two guys like Clarke and Warren.

MickMick
06-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Interesting (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=48#S=48&F=2754&T=657774)

CDC84
06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
The other problem with a packaged deal is that GU only has 1 schoolie left for 2008. So if the Zags were to take both, a current player would need to leave early for the pros, transfer, give up their schoolie for a year, etc. Also, GU already has three guards in place for the 2008/09 season - Pargo, Bouldin and Gray. They also have an overabundance of wings. The 2008 PG that GU gets is going to be the 4th guard on the depth chart, and if they get another guard, he'll be the 5th guard on the depth chart that season. Once Pargo moves on, the PT situation will get better. But both players would need to be patient for a year and wait their turn.

Nonetheless, if there is a way to make this work, I am all for it, because Warren's style of play, much like Clarke's, would fit the GU system well. He is a scoring machine. There is a part of me that would really like to see Gonzaga pull off a recruiting shocker. I don't see it happening in this case, but stranger things have happened. Also, like BZ, I usually don't take seriously kids who claim to be packaged deals. Kids want to play in a system that fits them, and at a place where they can get maximum PT.

sonuvazag
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
% of possibility that you believe they will sign as well as the time frame for commitment.
Rotnei Clarke - 70% withing the next week or two
Willie Warren - 50% possibly very soon or around the august timeframe
from MikeR111 of Kentucky's board.

Kentucky fans also were 98% sure they would get Billy Donovan.

JAGzag
06-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Kentucky fans also were 98% sure they would get Billy Donovan.

Classic ... :lmao:

kylasdad
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I have always heard that 67.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot...;)

I wonder how many times that guy had to roll the dice or pull numbers out of a hat to come up with those stats?

spudzag
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I like to delude myself as much as the next fan but not to the point of thinking there is any chance that Warren and Clarke will be a package deal here. While I'd love to have the best shooter in the class I'm having a hard time seeing that come togehter either. Well, hope I'm wrong.

MickMick
06-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Excuse me BZ if you have posted this link before, but you are right. Clarke does look very much like Dickau here (http://www.uschoops.tv/clarketv.html). For being a "shooter", there sure are some crisp passes in there. Maybe he really is a PG. He is really running by people to.

BobZag
06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I think the staff will continue to recruit Carke hard. I'd be surprised if they recruited Warren too.