PDA

View Full Version : Keegan to Fairfield.

MDABE80
04-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Freshman transfer (out of Gonzaga) Keegan Hyland — the one who was spotted on campus getting a tour from the Penn coaching staff — just committed to play for the Fairfield Stags. You know, the ones now coached by former Princeton head-man Sydney Johnson.
........The Buzz

http://blogs.dailypennsylvanian.com/thebuzz/2011/04/22/hoops-news-gonzaga-transfer-to-fairfield-cornell-coach-on-the-move/

After a very difficult semester, We all wish him well. Hope he's whole again.:pray:

snebzag
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
This seems.......Odd... I am confused. Abe, please explain just what this means as to him leaving here without ever playing a game, going to Fairfield? Was supposed to be a big time jump shooter, Ravio look with a Morrison release on the shot. I was excited. He left. I forgot about him and now Fairfeild? Was it all just hype? Little help here.

zag buddy
04-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I believe he still had residual effects from the concussion. It appears he was not completely healthy after transferring quit and now is ready to play again. At least that is my understanding.

MDABE80
04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I just stumbled on to the news. I don't justify or explain....just news as to Keegan's progress.

SpudDawg
04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
If you have the regional sports package on DirecTV, you will see that Fairfield pops up fairly frequently. I'll be sure to try to catch some games in the future.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Hyland was a desperation swing and miss by Few. But Fairfield isn't that bad and new man Johnson could raise em up more.

Zagdawg
04-24-2011, 07:26 AM
If I recall correctly Hyland was recruited because we needed someone with a good 3 pt shot to keep opposing teams from sagging on our bigs.

Many teams wish their crystal balls worked as well as some of the posters on these boards. Hindsight is 20/20.

His bio coming in does not look bad.

"High School: Attended South Portland High in Portland, Maine...senior season suffered a stress fracture of the left pelvic bone and missed all but three games, playing in the regular-season finale and two Western Maine State Class A Tournament games...scored 32 points in South Portland's tournament semifinal loss...junior year averaged 27.7 ppg to lead the Southern Maine Athletic Association...also second in 3-point field goals made, sixth in free throws, ninth in steals and 11th in assists...scored 30 or more points seven times, including career-high 47...finished as the Red Riots all-time leading scorer with 1,110 points...Portland posted a 14-4 record and lost in the Western Maine State Class A quarterfinals...named to All-State teams selected by the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram and by the Bangor Daily News...sophomore season averaged 17.6 ppg to lead the SMAA and also averaged 5.0 assists/game while being an All-SMAA first-team selection...named the league's Rookie of the Year as a freshman. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTMasP6vRw

I hope he does well in his journey.

TheBunnieRancher
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Fairfield is in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. They finished first in their league with an overall record of 25-8 for the year and they made it to the 2nd round of the NIT where they lost to Kent. They have been a Top-100 RPI team for the last 3 years. Keegan has landed at a respectable Mid-Major so I wish him the best of luck.

zagfan08
04-25-2011, 01:11 AM
This is a fine landing spot for Hyland. Gonzaga was on a completely different tier than the other schools recruiting him, and here's to a successful career as a Stag.

kitzbuel
04-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Fairfield is, literally, the Gonzaga of New England. An academically solid Jesuit school that serves the New England area.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Fairfield is, literally, the Gonzaga of New England. An academically solid Jesuit school that serves the New England area.

not quite, kitz. The College of the Holy Cross fits that mold better. It is a far superior school academically than FF and tho its in the Patriot League it had been to the NCs a few times in the past decade or so.

ZagLawGrad
04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Another good example and reason to wait and see how the newest rookies perform before predicting big minutes (or starting).

kitzbuel
04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
not quite, kitz. The College of the Holy Cross fits that mold better. It is a far superior school academically than FF and tho its in the Patriot League it had been to the NCs a few times in the past decade or so.

So you are saying it is more like the Portland of New England? :D

Goshzagit
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
From

Zags

to

Stags

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Offices-and-Services-A-Z/MarketingandCommunications/img/logos/Logo-Zags.jpg --> http://www.logoserver.com/college/FairfieldStags4.GIF

jazzdelmar
04-25-2011, 11:43 AM
So you are saying it is more like the Portland of New England? :D

More like LMU.

Angelo Roncalli
04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
HC does have a national championship trophy in its case...

Oregonzagnut
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Hyland was a desperation swing and miss by Few. But Fairfield isn't that bad and new man Johnson could raise em up more.

Why would Few be desperate? Ever. We have no reason to be desperate. If this is the state of recruiting (or at least under certain circumstances) we need to rethink WHY we are desperate and remember patience is a virtue for good reason.

cjm720
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
You can rarely be patient in the recruiting game. #### happens and you have to have fall back plans. We were losing Bouldin, had some likely transfers, and with Gray really as the only long-distance shooter coming back in back court, he addressed a need. I don't see it as desperate, but reactive.