PDA

View Full Version : Landry on his way?

BC1210is
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Guy Landry just posted this on twitter after his visit.

@JucoJunction great loved it yeah already make my decision

In response to this;

@llcoollandry - What did you think of Gonzaga ? You ready to make a decision or take some more visits ? JucoJunction.com

Just twitter but what do you think?

BobZag
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Pretty easy to interpret that, I'd say.

hondo
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
It was not a decision based on nice weather as Thursday and Friday were about as crappy weather wise as it gets here in late April. This is a good sign.

BobZag
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I'll go on record right now:

I wanted Bryce Jones. I think he's better. And after his redshirt transfer year, Carter would be gone and Bryce would transition right into Carter's place.

Okay, I've voiced my preference.

MDABE80
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
If Bryce Jones can get up here and after watching the games Stretch graciously provided, I'd work a bit harder on Jones..........we don't need no random, willy nilly do we BZ?

cggonzaga
04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
With a Landry commit that probably means Jones won't even visit correct? I'll say this about Landry, he's easily the best dunker we've ever had (yes better than A-Train, knight and Ira)

MDABE80
04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Errol was pretty special....not sure about your contention cgg. Oh well...the coaches must have liked him a lot. Let's hope they can convince him to play defense.

zag67
04-23-2011, 12:33 PM
It looks like he has committed to GU (according to Rivals). I hope that he comes in and is solid enough to allow for the trasition of our younger players. This way, they may not have to be under the gun immediately. Also when the freshman class has two years under their belts the positions on the team will be open.

EuroZag2010
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
@slipperstillfits

[QUOTE]Breaking news....we were just able to confirm that Guy Landry (@llcoollandry) has committed to Gonzaga following his visit!!!!
[QUOTE]

JPtheBeasta
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Errol was pretty special....not sure about your contention cgg. Oh well...the coaches must have liked him a lot. Let's hope they can convince him to play defense.

We haven't had a defensive stopper with length in a while. It has been on my wish list for a while. I thought Arop was going to be that guy, but that ironically turned out a little differently. I think an athletic 3 will thrive on the open lanes created by Pangos and Bell's heralded shooting and play-making. We don't need a 3 that hangs out on the perimeter like our recent group has been wont to do.

Also, (@anyone) is there a reason GU can't lock down both Guy and Bryce? Arop's and Hart's scholarships seems like they should both be available. Both players seem like they could play the 2/3 spots as needed and could share the floor together. I understand the log jam issue with both of these guys, but if they are willing to accept the PT situation, is there not room for them (especially considering Jones would be sitting out a year)?

ZagNative
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Also, (@anyone) is there a reason GU can't lock down both Guy and Bryce? Arop's and Hart's scholarships seems like they should both be available. Both players seem like they could play the 2/3 spots as needed and could share the floor together. I understand the log jam issue with both of these guys, but if they are willing to accept the PT situation, is there not room for them (especially considering Jones would be sitting out a year)?If Jones agrees to walk on for the first year ... Otherwise, I think we're at limit for scholarships for 2011 ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TbM3w4I0LGI/AAAAAAABRPI/hwvIEoHGmKY/2011-04-23%20Scholies.jpg

JPtheBeasta
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
If Jones agrees to walk on for the first year ... Otherwise, I think we're at limit for scholarships for 2011 ...

Brilliant! Thanks, as always.

VaBeachZAG
04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
With our cup running over at the 1 and 2 next season, and with Carter, Landry, and Monninghoff (also maybe Keita/Sarbaugh?) at the 3, it looks more likely than ever that Dranginis is coming in as a redshirt.

cggonzaga
04-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I guess we'll see Abe. My comment is more a compliment to Guy as the 3 I mentioned were gifted athletes and great dunkers. Landry should give us some athleticism we haven't had in a while. Should be a very good defender.

Saxon_zag
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
With a Landry commit that probably means Jones won't even visit correct? I'll say this about Landry, he's easily the best dunker we've ever had (yes better than A-Train, knight and Ira)

indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEboAS3was

roxdoc
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Has there been even the slightest evidence that he would be a good defender other than he appears to be very athletic on the O end of things?

Will he take as long as Carter to make a significant contribution?

Not knocking the selection, didn't have a dog in the race. Obviously its the coach's choice between alternatives. Just hope we can finally get some significant help and diminish the "soap opera" at the "3"

BobZag
04-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I think Few & Staff could sell ice to Eskimos. Honestly, I do.

jazzdelmar
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Sounds like, but hope not, Hyland 2.0. Picking up a markdown after the holiday rush? It looked like Few had learned to opt for a more orderly recruiting process with high school high achievers. Whatever.

JPtheBeasta
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Sounds like, but hope not, Hyland 2.0. Picking up a markdown after the holiday rush? It looked like Few had learned to opt for a more orderly recruiting process with high school high achievers. Whatever.

Perhaps he is Few's Nate McLouth, who was my late round high-upside, low risk draft pick to round out my fantasy baseball bench. I think this kid is worth a flyer because he brings something different to the table (Guy, not Nate). For the sake of full disclosure, I thought Hyland was a decent get for the same reason last year, and McLouth was dropped after week 2.

CDC84
04-23-2011, 05:50 PM
I think the staff is extremely high on the 2012 class and their abilities to land a top wing who is better than Bryce Jones. Guys like Richard Longrus and Xavier Johnson are rounding into top 50 type players. Bryce Jones wasn't going to be able to play until 2012/13 anyway. I think the move to get Landry has more to do with this season than the future since he's only going to be here for 2 years. The Zags had an open schoolie at the wing that they needed to fill this season.

Goshzagit
04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Mich st, Minnesota, Tennessee, Wicheta St are just a few schools openly expressing interest in Guy Landry.

On the otherhand, Bryce had San Diego St & UNLV...and that was it. BTW, both of the aforementioned schools are comprised of 50% of transfers in heir starting lineup, just look at their respective rosters. No teams were willing to take the risk excpet for the Top-2 transfer destinations in college hoops & a school founded on forgiveness & redemption(i.e. Gonzaga)

The point is, I believe some are giving too much credit to Bryce Jones and not enough to Guy.

Not saying he's the 2nd coming or instant startet, but this kid has a rather unique skillset & has abilities we don't have on this team. Its a simple, but encompassing fact.

So what if he's Ira! 2.0. Have we forgotten the "bring the house down" dunks, unstoppable motor, & change of pace versatility Ira brought off the bench? When was the last time we had some good dunks in a game? Its been 3 yrs, folks. We need another Ira or Errol, imo. Its time & evidently the Coaches share a similar sentiment with Guy's presence/skillset/ability.

I, for one, welcome Mr. Landry with wide open arms.

sittingon50
04-23-2011, 06:39 PM
I get what you're saying zagit, but IMO Mr. Harris has had some decent dunks & it wasn't 3 years ago.