PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF Gold Cup: Former Zag looked good

xjzico
06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Finally had the opportunity to watch a US National team game where Brian Ching played significant minutes and he didn't disappoint. Earned a penalty kick which tied up the match and really was unlucky not to have goal of his own. He really is dangerous when he has a guy on his back, moves nicely while on the ball and possesses deceptive touch- things I kind of knew already but had not been able to witness on such high level. I consider Mexico to be a pretty quality squad, and probably a notch above the US, and Ching really held his own and in fact he probably outplayed his Mexican counterpart. Looks like he earned a match rating around 6.5 to 6.7 which is darn good. Anyway congrats to Brian and the squad- I left very impressed and excited about the future for the mens team (outside of Beasley flubbing an open net goal which would have iced the game).

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_950286.html

Zag79
06-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I consider Mexico to be a pretty quality squad, and probably a notch above the US

i have to disagree. im going to say mexico is a country we have passed in putting a winning team on pitch. im not talking historically but as of now and the last decade or so. what a game winning shot though! wow.

xjzico
06-26-2007, 08:15 AM
I think the US is in their heads at this point, but I still feel Mexico might be better suited for success at the higher levels of international play. But it's pretty obvious the US has begun to turn the corner.

Anyway I'm really excited to see how the team competes in the Copa America. There's been noticable whispers the Nguyen kid from PSV Eindhoven is pretty special. If he lives up to expectations a team with him, Donovan, Beasley, Feilhaber and maybe Adu (what is up with this guy?) and the US is starting to look dynamic. Guess we'll start to find out pretty soon as Nguyen is on the Copa America roster.

Edit: I think we can safely say we passed Mexico, and into the global elite, when we start pulling regular results out of Azteca. In my mind the road to outright regional supremacy, maybe just symbolically, passes through there. Which means if the US can do so, we can field a team that can win in the most hostile of situations.

Zag79
06-26-2007, 11:57 PM
great point!