• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Neither a defense nor a prosecution

I was going to refrain from any further comment on the Heytvelt/Davis incident but I will offer this. Should the accused be held to a higher standard because of their status. Probably! However, I asked at least 20 people at the game last night, all of them at least in their 50's, did they remember when they were in their 20's? All of them knew what I meant and all of them smiled. I can assure you the difference between me and the accused was I never got caught! I can also assure you I have moved on from that phase of my life. However I was in my 20's once upon a time.
  • Russell Bevan
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

This is different

Dear 116,

I'm only in my 40's but let give you my take. I worked full time while I was at Gonzaga and it took me until my 36 birthday to pay off my loans. We have given both these young men full scholarships, for which they signed an athletic department code of conduct. They broke their commitment to the program, they have tarnished my beloved alma mater and they didn't make just one mistake, the list of mistakes is very long.

Treat them like any other student, let the schools judicial board handle it, but as it relates to the basketball team, they need to be suspended for the rest of the season and possibly permanently. If they want to play for Gonzaga next year let them pay for it.

All the best,
    Russell

Comment

• TR11Zag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Agreed Russell.

Right on the money.

Comment

• ZaginLaw
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Well Said

I totally agree Russell.

I know a former GU student-athlete that was very troubled by Mike Roth's comment from the press conference that was aired during halftime. (Josh will be treated like any other student).

This former student-athlete said the Mike Roth they know wouldn't have stated it in that way. This person said Mike's answer would have been more like Few's.

Once the story is fully understood, GU has an opportunity to put actions behind the code of conduct for student-athletes as well as the code of conducts for students (yes they are separate an different). It's a privilege to go to a university and even more of a privilege to be a student-athlete. One doesn't have to participate in criminal behavoir or even be associated with criminal behavoir to lose the student-athlete privilege.

I know many alumni are watching this situation specifically for GU's action, while praying for these athletes. They'll vote thier approval/disapproval with GU's actions with their money accordingly.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

InLaw

To be fair to Mike, I think that with such short notice & limited info he was answering questions in a generic as possible way.
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
            To be fair to Mike, I think that with such short notice & limited info he was answering questions in a generic as possible way.
            I watched the KHQ web site version of the press conference, Fifty, and I think you hit the nail on the head: Mr. Roth was being very measured in his remarks with regards to issues such as confidentiality, the school's "official position," the pending legal process, etc.

And like Roth said, they've dealt with 18-22 y.o. who've done dumb things before but nothing like the firestorm they had yesterday. ( He couldn't turn to page 22 in the A.D. Handbook and look up "What To Do When One of Your Stars lands in the Pokey" )
            Last edited by RenoZag; 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM.
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ZaginLaw
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

I understand

but this person said that Mr. Roth reacts more like Few did during the press conference versus "measured" regarding the "schools position". Mr. Few is just as official and closer to the situation than Mr. Roth.

Just an observation that struck this person as odd.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Disagree. From a legal standpoint & penalty standpoint I think you'll find it coming thru Mr. Roth's office. At this point I would think it's out of Mr. Few's hands. JMO.
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• 23dpg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I've been away all weekend and haven't yet posted on this subject.

This story went everywhere...ESPN, the New York Times, etc. I am very dissappointed with the two players. If everything turns out to be true, I would like to see a suspension for the rest of the year for Josh, and for Theo, the loss of his redshirt year. Offer them both back next year if they comply, then accept them fully. If they don't comply with a set of stringent rules, let them go and suffer the consequences.

BTW, I am not judging from a moral high ground. I have done things that I regret also. But we must maintain rules. If I speed and get caught, I can't just say that everyone is doing it. Pay the fine and move forward.
                  Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• kdoggy
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

I think most folks are afraid of being of being called a hypocrite when it comes to youthful indiscretions. I kinda think my experience in the college partying area gives me more authority to speak on the subject with both understanding and yet I still feel obligated to warn the younger folk about some of the very real consequences. Indeed, I had some good, partying times in college. But let's get real, youngsters get killed in car wrecks and doing other stupid things, they get arrested, they get hospitalized. So, I think its still important to have some somewhat harsh penalties for youthful stupidity. I also have the perspective of time by realizing that, in the grand scheme of things, taking a semester off from school and hoops to get your head on straight isn't that big a deal and is an "lemons to lemonade" sort of opportunity

Comment

• ZaginLaw
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

I understand. Your point - legal and penalty standpoint - is what I used in discussing this person's perception of the press conference (unsucessfully).

Mr. Few showed more of an urgency and conveyed that the situation will be dealt with in a fair and accurate manner. In comparison, Mr. Roth's comments appeared more "political" and diffusing - which is the opposite of what this person expected from their knowledge of 'Mr. Roth the AD'.

I personally, don't think Mr. Few's press conference was out of line in any manner for a coach, AD, or for a President of a University.

We all act differently in different situations, especially ones that are forced upon us and I feel for everyone involved.

Anyway... it's Gameday! Beat Santa Clara!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X