PDA

View Full Version : Paris, France, native visiting Gonzaga

BobZag
04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Now.

6'5" SG/SF Guy Landry, from Midland JC, from Van Nuys, CA, from Paris, France, but played Fiba Tournies for Ivory Coast, is visiting right now.

It's a yukky weather day today, but......

Feel free to round up info on this kid. Being from France, I'll conclude Tommy Lloyd has a hand in this.

I have no idea what the interest level really is. But if Few takes Landry, I gotta conclude it puts 2012 SG/SFs in some jeopardy.

LynetteG
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
info from MIdland

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1312&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=106513&athleteid=279489

Cumulative Statistics:
Individual Scoring Leaders
GP Total FGM (2pt. & 3pt.) FGM(3) FTM PTS Ind Ave
28 95 26 49 265 9.464

Free Throw Percentage Leaders
GP FTM FTA FT%
28 49 80 61%

Field Goal Percentage Leaders
GP Total FGM (2pt. & 3pt.) Total FGA FG %
28 95 209 45%

Field Goal Percentage Leaders (3pt)
GP FGM(3) FGA(3) FG%(3)
28 26 65 40%

Rebound Leaders
GP OREB DREB Reb Reb/Gm
28 39 127 166 5.929

Assist Leaders
GP Asst Asst/Gm
28 46 1.643

Steal Leaders
GP Steals Stls/Gm
28 32 1.143

Individual Blocks per Game
GP Blocks Blocks/Gm
28 4 0.143

Individual Turnovers per Game
GP TO TO/Gm
28 51 1.821

LynetteG
04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
and some more, with this snazzy pic!

http://www.mywesttexas.com/sports/article_d0f55904-8baa-5a0e-8678-10db15603c50.html

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mywesttexas.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/4/3e/d3b/43ed3b81-830b-5e39-84b6-36f03de7c6aa-revisions/4cc8a3c2e57d3.preview-300.jpg

ridgebackzag
04-21-2011, 09:11 AM
45% and 40% from 2pt and 3pt respectively, then 61% from the stripe? Ouch..

BobZag
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/player/p/eid/4728/pid/56612/rid//sid/4728/tid/267/profile.html

The 2010 World Championships.

He goes by Guy Edi when playing for Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire).

Jakester425
04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Rivals lists us and Wichita State as having "High" interest.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Guy-Landry-120064

spudzag
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
A two or three year player?

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I guess he has an OK vert:

Guy Landry; Hoopmixtape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEboAS3was)

ESPN ranks Landry an 88 for '09 class:

Guy Landry 2009 profile (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/81759/guy-landry)

PS-> He's considered a JUCO, so 2yrs of eligibility remaining

Looks like Ira Brown 2.0.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Young man has some sizzle

hooter73
04-21-2011, 09:44 AM
we need the scolarship list stickied for referencing.

hondo
04-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Spokane's winters might be like those in Paris but I doubt it snows in late April in Paris. It's snowing right now in Spokane.

BobZag
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Guy Landry, an ultra-talented 6-foot-5 senior prospect from Van Nuys, California, has caught our staff's attention with his tremendous play and athleticism the entire spring evaluation period. One of the more athletically gifted wing prospects in this year's camp, the Nigerian born Landry advised us that he currently likes three schools - Miami, USC and Washington State ...

--------------------------------

The Frenchman picked up a number of new fans over the weekend after his athletic display of dunks. The strong-bodied 6-foot-4 wing from France was in attack mode all weekend and made big play after big play at the rim. He was great in the all-star game, too.
Landry is off to prep school next year, but which one exactly is still up in the air. Wherever he lands, expect him to be a name that gets tossed around quite a bit if he is still uncommitted past the summer months because of his aggressive and athletic brand of basketball.

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Physically mature and very strong, Landry is originally from France. He's a bit older than kids in his class and he takes advantage of that maturity on the court. He plays with great energy and he has the potential to be a very good defender. Shot and overall ball skills are just fair. A likely high major prospect.

Interesting fact: He'll turn 23 this December.

Given his unbelievable, freakish athleticism and strength, he could even play a little PF on occassion, just like Ira! did or Charles Barkley.

He visited Wichita St last wkend, Gonzaga this wkend, and Tennessee next wkend...Mich St expressing a little interest as well.

BobZag
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
My bet is Few will offer both Guy Landry and Bryce Jones, with the condition of "He who commits first gets the scholarship."

It's an age-old strategy used by coaches everywhere.

Time will tell. We'll see.

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
My bet is Few will offer both Guy Landry and Bryce Jones, with the condition of "He who commits first gets the scholarship."

BZ, is it official Bryce will be visiting this upcoming weekend?

cjm720
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
From the sounds of it though, we have more offers out there than Jones and Landry....lots of fishing poles out there.

Once and Future Zag
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM

It's an age-old strategy used by coaches everywhere.

Time will tell. We'll see.

I recall that worked out ok for us when we got "the other guy" when some other school did that - some point guard called... Matt I think it was.

MDABE80
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
<shaking head> .... willy nilly, random, haphazard.....comes to mind.

Focus jedis focus......

RockandRollJames
04-21-2011, 11:32 AM
He was walking around with Donny Daniels, Alex Hernandez, and another staff member, for what it's worth.

gozagswoohoo
04-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Holy Schmoly. Guy has some hops.

JPtheBeasta
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
What was the classic line Tommy used when recruiting Ronnie? I think he said Spokane weather was just like Paris... At least this guy will know what he's getting himself into.

former1dog
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I like that he slam dunks with authority. Hard to say anything else about his game from the clip though.

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Bryce or Guy...I'd take either one. They are essentially the same height, athleticism, lengthy, potential to be great defenders, above average shooters, etc.

We could use a super-athletic presence at the Wing -- whether it be a reserve or starter role.

One of two would be a pretty good get, imo.

cjm720
04-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd take Bryce over Guy in a heartbeat...higher rated out of HS, played at USC as a frosh. Anyone know why Guy went the CC route?

stretchlimo
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/photos/daybyday/0829/chn-civ/civ/_400/Small_MAT_4689.jpg

My heartbeat says Mr. Landry. Besides being eligible sooner than Jones (and also not carrying excess baggage):

-- He is a 6'5" absolute stud athlete on the wing. Yes, I think we are wide open in that department.

-- He has high international experience, and has done quite well. Despite being the 2nd-youngest player for Ivory Coast in the 2010 Worlds, Guy was 2nd on the team in minutes and tied for first in scoring (10.2 ppg).

-- I wouldn't worry about his JUCO ppg. Last season Midland had eight players avg 6 to 10 ppg. It just tells me that Guy plays within the system.

-- He is a man. I mean, look at them guns!

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/photos/daybyday/0829/chn-civ/civ/_400/Small_29-alex-chn-civ-01.jpg

Reel. Him. In.

(& maybe #2 can help with the recruiting as well?)

NO. 1 MIDLAND COLLEGE 74, NO. 7 THREE RIVERS (MO.) COMMUNITY COLLEGE 65

Three Rivers (10-2) Marquise Carter 5 6-10 17, Nick Niemczyk 7 4-5 20, Josh Terry 2 1-1 5, Ehimen Orukpe 2 0-0 4, Pierre Mitchell 0 3-4 4, Jamarcus Williams 3 0-0 6, Lance Miller 1 0-0 3, Aloysius Henry 2 3-4 7.

Midland College (13-0) Brockeith Pane 2 10-10 15, Kenny Moore 2 3-4 8, Caleb Dean 3 2-5 8, Jonathon Simmons 7 2-6 16, Ty Nurse 1 2-2 4, Guy Landry 3 4-6 11, Darrell Williams 1 2-4 4, Jordan Walker 2 4-4 8.

from 12.19.2009 (http://www.mywesttexas.com/sports/top_stories/article_09a19248-756d-52cf-b487-1b3a14c9b920.html)

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
In recent years we've had some players come to campus with junior-high-like physiques. Guy would not be one of them. That is a grown man -- holy smokes.

Vanzagger
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
that Chinese guy is ripped

MDABE80
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Few....no offense to anyone.....needs to get more than a beauty contest winner.

Issues important to this team and it's future in the D high end level.is whether he can find kids who can play defense AND put major points up. Lots of kids can thunder dunk....maybe not as pretty as this guy......it's not what we need though. We need some kids who are fundamentally skillful.

If this kid has the skills (outside of dunking), he needs a further look. First of all though.we need tenacious defenders. We need some kids who can figure out 2 pts ......not necessarily from fancy dunks. We need better......just plain better.

If this kid is "better" , well go after him. Be sure he wants to play defense. If he's one dimensional.....I'd pass on him and anybody else who doesn't love defense. Pretty faces are not what we need for the future. We need excellent players on both sides of the ball.

In my opinion, we needed more than Ira gave us.

dnj116
04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Few....no offense to anyone.....needs to get more than a beauty contest winner.

Issues important to this team and it's future in the D high end level.is whether he can find kids who can play defense AND put major points up. Lots of kids can thunder dunk....maybe not as pretty as this guy......it's not what we need though. We need some kids who are fundamentally skillful.

If this kid has the skills (outside of dunking), he needs a further look. First of all though.we need tenacious defenders. We need some kids who can figure out 2 pts ......not necessarily from fancy dunks. We need better......just plain better.

If this kid is "better" , well go after him. Be sure he wants to play defense. If he's one dimensional.....I'd pass on him and anybody else who doesn't love defense. Pretty faces are not what we need for the future. We need excellent players on both sides of the ball.

I pretty much share these exact same sentiments. If he's one dimensional, pass on him. If he's not, then offer a scholly and see who commits. Sure wouldn't mind seeing some of his dunks in a Zags uni on the highlight reel though...

U Zig, I Zag
04-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Athleticism? Aggressive dunks? No mention of 'blue collar'?

Not a Zag.

What's next?

spudzag
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Not to bandwagon, but completely agree. Would only add whoever it is needs to be and stay coachable and have a rock solid work ethic.

roxdoc
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Will the athleticism make up for an undersize at the wing?

BobZag
04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
BZ, is it official Bryce will be visiting this upcoming weekend?

Last I heard, Bryce flies in tomorrow.

cjm720
04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
We need better......just plain better.

Better than whom?

Then or now?

Overall, do you really think the staff is looking at a one dimensional player?

Programs evolve and Few and Co. are doing what they can to fill the roster. Shoot we probably have a half dozen offers out there for a "wing."

Dunno, Abe, the tone of your posts lately have broader implications that this one post. We're improving as a program...all is good.

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
One dimensional?

Where's the research fellas? At this point, I expect a bit more outta most of you. ;)

Guy-Landry Edi shot 40% from 3pt in HS, for the Ivory Coast during FIBA, and for Midland College.

Yes, he only averaged 9ppg in JUCO but so did the four other starters on his team, plus he did pull down 6 rebs per...

A JUCO with athleticism that would make many NBA'ers jealous AND can shoot fairly well from distance is worth a gamble/look/offer, imo.

As one poster put it, "better than whom?" We have plenty of kids who can/will start, but Guy has a skillset we are currently lacking at the Wing. He would add, not detract to our team if he elects to come here...

cvzag79
04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Yi Jianlian is the chinese player and he was drafted by the milwaukee bucks in 2007

MaroonZag22
04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
So I don't know who would be a better fit for the program between Bryce and Guy, but if Bryce is someone who the coaches think would fit well within the program, our future looks bright indeed. If we end up getting Bryce Jones, he would not be able to play next year due to transfer rules. But that may be a good thing. After next year, we know we lose Meech, Carter, and Sacre to graduation. I'll guess that we also lose Harris. That means that at the end of next year, we will probably have openings for four new starters. So, when Jones becomes eligible, you could see a starting line up of:

PG: Pangos (92 ESPN rating) - Soph (1 yr V)
SG: Bell Jr. (94 ESPN rating) - Soph (1 yr V)
SF: Jones (94 ESPN rating) - RS Soph (2 yr V)
PF: Olynyk (90 ESPN rating) - Sr (3 yrs V)
C: Dower (89 ESPN rating) - RS Jr (3 yrs V)

and a bench of:

PG: Stockton - RS Jr (3 yrs V), Sarbaugh - RS Fresh? (1 yr. V)
SG: MK - Jr (2 yrs V), Dranginis - Soph (1 yr. V w/ 89 ESPN)
SF: MM - Jr (2 yrs V), Hart - Sr (3 yrs V)
PF: Spangler (1 yr. V w/ 89 ESPN)

And since Stockton, Hart, and Sarbaugh are all walk-ons, we will also have 4 Scholarships open for incoming players. Yeah, I like the looks of that team! Especially since it has only 2 seniors, this could be a very good team for several years.

OZZY
04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Midland College was also home to pg Ty Nurse (now signed with Texas Tech) who played with both Kelly and Manny for the Canadian Junior team two years ago. Ty would know Manny (and Kelly) very well. He might be the best view on both players (Landry and Arop).

My only concern is are we replacing Manny with another Manny....The ability to play within the Zag system is going to be paramount.

btzag
04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I'd take Bryce over Guy in a heartbeat...higher rated out of HS, played at USC as a frosh. Anyone know why Guy went the CC route?

I would go the route of Guy instead of Jones... Pure speculation but a guy from the JC route is more likely to fit a role than a highly rated guy who will probably want and need big minutes early on. Then if Guy blows up you win but if he is just a glue guy who brings tremendous athleticism you win also...

However the potential of Jones is huge...

Only so many minutes to go around and personally I would like to see a solid TEAM with a plan than just "throw as much talent as possible" at a roster plan.

MDABE80
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
"Dunno, Abe, the tone of your posts lately have broader implications that this one post. We're improving as a program...all is good." < says cjm

Abe says he wants the best for the program. Manny's departure bugs the hell out o fme.
We need kids who will pay the price for excellence. Don' tknow either of the kids in this post. I want better than we've got now and in the past. If the kids are one dimensional.no thanks. If they don't hustle.no thanks.....if they cannot elevate the position and the program......yes! If they play both ways....ok by me.
Dunks are 2 pts.they don't make me do anything more than a layup. Dramatic .sure. Wins' games? Rarely.

All I mean is that I hope Few et al. gets some kids who are or will be good on both ends. Shooters? ok Dunkers? ok.but they must play hard defense to go along with the glitz of offense. I'd pass on anyone who doesn't
play hard and play hard defense.
Dunks my get a rise but they don't win games without a kid who is a lot more complete. No doubt...he's a flashy dunker though. No doubt about it, he'd be a "show".

BobZag
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
"Dunno, Abe, the tone of your posts lately have broader implications that this one post. We're improving as a program...all is good." < says cjm

Abe says he wants the best for the program. Manny's departure bugs the hell out o fme.
We need kids who will pay the price for excellence. Don' tknow either of the kids in this post. I want better than we've got now and in the past. If the kids are one dimensional.no thanks. If they don't hustle.no thanks.....if they cannot elevate the position and the program......yes! If they play both ways....ok by me.
Dunks are 2 pts.they don't make me do anything more than a layup. Dramatic .sure. Wins' games? Rarely.

All I mean is that I hope Few et al. gets some kids who are or will be good on both ends. Shooters? ok Dunkers? ok.but they must play hard defense to go along with the glitz of offense. I'd pass on anyone who doesn't
play hard and play hard defense.
Dunks my get a rise but they don't win games without a kid who is a lot more complete. No doubt...he's a flashy dunker though. No doubt about it, he'd be a "show".

In other words: No Ira Brown 2.0

CB4
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
It seems like whenever a foreign player is on the radar its much more of a gamble than if we just recruited American players. Just sayin.

MDABE80
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
In other words: No Ira Brown 2.0

Correct...we won't get better unless we find better.:cheers:

MickMick
04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds like Guy is a little different than Ira.

Ira went from minor league baseball pitcher to Juco hoops.

Guy went from playing International hoops to Juco hoops.

Big difference.

Ira didn't have the likes of Tennessee, Michigan State, etc. showing interest either.
Ira did have his moments. Ironically, it was against Tennessee in the Old Spice Classic where Ira played his best.

I'm guessing the JUCO route for Guy had more to do with academic qualifications than anything.

He is an intriguing prospect. The team will be set for the key positions with or without Guy. We can have a revolving door of transfering "stars" or have an experienced, full grown man, assuming a situational role, and providing for an athletic, strong, "sparring partner" for a youthful Spangler to bang against in practice.

You won't hear me complain if Guy comes aboard.

bigblahla
04-21-2011, 07:00 PM
You won't hear me complain if Guy comes aboard.

Agree with you Mick.

The young man looks like a banger and if he plays as hard as he looks on both ends of the court we win big time.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagFanInNC
04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
We would have to get this guy, then we would have players from the US, Canada, France, Germany and the Ivory Coast...

This dude looks like a beast, its been a while since we have had that kind of athleticism.

Birddog
04-22-2011, 03:38 AM
A few years back we recruited a kid from France via Midland CC named Mamery Diallo. Just thought it was worth mentioning even though this kid looks to be a better athlete. I never could figure out the Diallo deal.

zagsfanforlife
04-22-2011, 06:15 AM
that Chinese guy is ripped

That would be NBA player Yi Jianlan of the Washington Wizards..

wiszag
04-22-2011, 06:21 AM
I think it'd work out better if he has a year to practice and get used to the system. It took Marquise a semester to get the hang of things and I think the same thing would happen with Guy.

I'm also a bit leary of getting so many players who weren't born in North America. I think it might make teaching these young men more difficult. I'm all for recruiting Euros, I just think there's a limit in the amount of time you can devote to teaching when you have so many folks with such varied backgrounds and communication levels.

Angelo Roncalli
04-22-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm also a bit leary of getting so many players who weren't born in North America. I think it might make teaching these young men more difficult. I'm all for recruiting Euros, I just think there's a limit in the amount of time you can devote to teaching when you have so many folks with such varied backgrounds and communication levels.

Guy went to HS and played HS ball in Van Nuys, CA. Donny probably speaks Californian. :)

hooter73
04-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Show me shooting 40% with a defender in your face; show me creating your own shot; show me drives; show me movement without the ball; show me committed defense... then you can show me the dunks.

zagsfanforlife
04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Show me shooting 40% with a defender in your face; show me creating your own shot; show me drives; show me movement without the ball; show me committed defense... then you can show me the dunks.

Everyone expects to see more than dunks in a HIGHLIGHT VIDEO. Hate to break it to these folks, but they will be waiting decades before the highlight reel with a kid crouching in his stance playing lockdown D comes on youtube (or whatever video clip site is popular by that time). Just because the kid doesn't have clips of defense or creating his own shot on his HIGHLIGHT VIDEO doesn't mean it is not part of his repertoire. Just sayin..

wiszag
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=Angelo Roncalli;664971]Guy went to HS and played HS ball in Van Nuys, CA. Donny probably speaks Californian. :)[/QUOT

Was it one of those French speaking Californian high schools?

hondo
04-22-2011, 08:37 AM
"Was it one of those French speaking Californian high schools?"

Van Nuys--the Valley people have a language of their own, nearly as foreign
as any.

MDABE80
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM

It's covered in the scouting. Nobody expects it to be in a highlight film.
If he's a two way star, we likum. Further though, I get a bit conerned when all there is shown is dunks. Ballhandling, defense, etc...are much bigger parts of the game. If he does those things well, we likum more! Scouting, not films will let us know.

Goshzagit
04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
An ironic FYI: just received word from a close friend/source at the University of Minnesota that Mr. Landry was on-campus approximately 3 wks ago visiting with Tubby & Co.

No offers or feedback via visit -- supposedly just an "introduction".

Guy might be the most heavily recruited 9ppg scorer in JUCO history. lol. He must be doing something right if Gonzaga, Tennessee, Wichita St, Mich St, and now Minnesota have shown at least some interest in this kid.

Thought to share the update.

hooter73
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Everyone expects to see more than dunks in a HIGHLIGHT VIDEO. Hate to break it to these folks, but they will be waiting decades before the highlight reel with a kid crouching in his stance playing lockdown D comes on youtube (or whatever video clip site is popular by that time). Just because the kid doesn't have clips of defense or creating his own shot on his HIGHLIGHT VIDEO doesn't mean it is not part of his repertoire. Just sayin..

Pangos.

it wasnt a literal 'show me' a vid of, but more 'i like all around players'

DADoZAG
04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
...it wasnt a literal 'show me' a vid of, but more 'i like all around players'

I'm sure staff likes all around players too.

Any word on how the visit went?

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm sure staff likes all around players too.

Any word on how the visit went?

Go ZAGS!

It's not over yet. He'll likely fly out Saturday.