PDA

View Full Version : Mathis Keita updates Catch and Shoot

ZagNative
04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Mathis posted to this international site (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/blog-de-mathis-keita-ma-saison-a-ete-un-peu-en-dents-de-scie-2884.html&ei=2iKvTfbMCYiWsgO-9amSAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Mathis%2BKeita%2522%2B-guboards%2B-slipperstillfits%2B-sbnation%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rlz%3D1R1GGLL_en___US368%26tbs%3Dqdr:d%26prmd% 3Divnso) before the start of the season and posted a retrospective on his season today. The link is to a google translation of his French language post.

The home games were really cool! For every game without exception, the room was always packed. Whatever happens, there were 6,500 people in the room. I'd say about 50% of our games are on ESPN and the rest on local channels. You can be sure if a player makes a good game the whole town will know. For big games, students camped outside the room to not be sure of getting a ticket but just being at the forefront! From the time the season starts, everyone only talks about basketball at Gonzaga, is a really special atmosphere. Everybody knows you and wants to be your friend. I admit it's pretty nice to hear someone in the street shouting: "Hey Mathis good game last night!".
Personally, my season has been somewhat checkered. Each evening the match, I did not know what to expect. I had to earn my place at every training and every game. What was really frustrating was to be 3 or 4 matches in a row at 20/25 minutes and the fifth play only 5 minutes. As I said, I did some matches where I played 5 minutes of matches to 0 minutes (a good old DNP on the stat sheet that is quite bad) and others where I was in the 5 major and where I played 30 minutes. The game that really started my season was at home during the victory against Xavier. Our best player Steven Gray was injured so for the first time this year I really had a chance to play and speak at an important game. This game here, I played 22 minutes, scored 5 points, made ​​3 rebounds and stole 2 balls while my father and my sister were in the stands. I think it's still one of my best memories. ...

Bon voila, there was really a lot to tell and I could say much more. Now that the season is over, it's muscular, shoot and match us for about a month, just to really improve individually until my return to France of expected around May 10 My goal for this summer's European Championships U20 and then of course go to Gonzaga and be ready to make a good season!

Following up on the last sentence quoted:

European U20 World Championships in Bilboa site (http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/default.asp). Date: July 14-24. France will be in Group B. Mathis Monninghoff's German team will be in Group D.

hooter73
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Well at least talk of this Mathis leaving should be over. I really really really am excited to see what Keita can do in the next few years.

Good Find!

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I like MK's long-term potential. If he can hit open shots on the perimeter, then he could be a major contributor. He has a swagger and intensity that we lacked at times last year.

ZagAddict
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I love MK's attitude with playing up and down minutes. I think he really understands that there are plenty of talented players at GU and 1) you never know when your number is going to be called you so have stay prepared and positive, and 2) there are still a lot of things to learn from and improve upon to get the consistent playing time he wants.

As with all of our players, I just wish that they could use the summer time a bit more to jell together as a cohesive team... it takes time and experience being on the floor with one another. I know players take time off and go home or have wonderful opportunities to represent their national teams, but this is something that GU teams of the past didn't have to face, and I think they were better prepared for the regular NCAA season and that translated directly into some wins against big-time programs.

I wish all the players a successful and healthy offseason and can't wait to see how everything comes together for the 2011-2012 season. Whether freshman, international, walk-on, or upper-classmen players; I hope we can find a rotation that works together well and plays hard on both ends of the court.

Go Zags!

ZagFanInNC
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
He should have RSed last year... but I understand there were a lot of unknowns on this team. That being said he should RS this year. He is really thin in person. A year to hit the weights and develop his jumper would do wonders for his game that is already promising.

I know a team that RS's players, lets them develop and then they are big contributors when they are juniors and seniors...ill give you a hint they played in the last two national championship games.

All of these transfers at the end of seasons and playing guys for 3 minutes a game as freshman and sophomores has got to stop.

The blueprint for tournament success is there and we need to start following it.

ZagNative
04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I went back and dug up this video interview with Mathis with Greg Heister from the Mark Few show (http://www.swxrightnow.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=5517348&at1=Sport&h1=The Mark Few Show: Get to Know Mathis Keita&flvUri=&partnerclipid=), which includes some nice video of Mathis in action.

cjm720
04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Not sure if it's the google translator or the candid rhetoric of Mathis, but love the insight.

former1dog
04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I have to say I'm a big Keita fan.

He's a BIG guard, relatively good handles and plays with a lot of energy and as importantly a lot of enthusiasm.

I think he could be a big contributor.

All that said, I'm not quarreling with his late season playing time (or lack thereof). It was what it was as Few has traditional shortened the rotation and that was true this year as it was any other year.

U Zig, I Zag
04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
I like Keita. He is rough in some spots but he was bold when he needed to be. Finished at the rim in traffic. When MM was playing wallflower Keita was grabbing, stealing and pulling down boards.

Goshzagit
04-21-2011, 01:28 PM
When MM was playing wallflower Keita was grabbing, stealing and pulling down boards.

Nailed it. Keita has the most upside/highest ceiling of any player on our current roster, imho.

bballbeachbum
04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
I like Keita. He is rough in some spots but he was bold when he needed to be.

bold...good call. love that quality

and a 180 degree turn for me on international duty...wish MK could stay in the environment he described in his tweet and get better on his personal game. Pardon

MM needs to get physically stronger so he's not plowed on the boards, which he was last year, and still maintain his touch, his flexibility.

Reborn
04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Like so many of the Europeans, Mathis hurt us on defense and it was why he didn't play more. He has great potential on offense, but lacks the footwork on defense. I too do not see how playing in Europe in the summer will help his defense. He has a great athletic body, but needs work learning to play the Zag way. He still has a lot of upside and I look forward to see what he can do next year, and like everyone else, it will be up to how much work he puts in. If you take anything at all away from the Jerry Krause interview, remember what he said about fundamentals. And that is the Zag way, and as Jerry said, too many are NOT willing to put in the time to learn the fundamentals to the game, and most important is footwork.

hooter73
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I think Keita was farther along defensively than MM this year but that could have been an illusion due to his intensity. I agree that summer World ball is not a skill developer and that is what a lot of our guys need. I really am hoping to see a solid foundation forming under Keita (and 'Hoff) and if hes already working on getting his shot up to par now it would be a good sign.

ZagAddict
04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Like so many of the Europeans, Mathis hurt us on defense and it was why he didn't play more. He has great potential on offense, but lacks the footwork on defense. I too do not see how playing in Europe in the summer will help his defense. He has a great athletic body, but needs work learning to play the Zag way. He still has a lot of upside and I look forward to see what he can do next year, and like everyone else, it will be up to how much work he puts in. If you take anything at all away from the Jerry Krause interview, remember what he said about fundamentals. And that is the Zag way, and as Jerry said, too many are NOT willing to put in the time to learn the fundamentals to the game, and most important is footwork.

It's hard to learn to play Zag basketball, on both ends of the court, when you spend the entire summer away from the team. I don't fault kids for taking the opportunity to play for their national team, but I do believe that Zag basketball suffers due to long-term player departures during the offseason when it's a prime opportunity to work on all-around basketball fundamentals, strength, and adjusting to teammates on the court.

I get more excited when hear about Gary Bell Jr. and Dranginis coming to campus early this year to start their Zag careers, or Stockton, Dower, Carter, etc. working their tails off with one another to get better for the upcoming season. A prime example of what can happen when you put the work in during the offseason to improve within the Zag framework of team basketball is Mike Hart; he put the time in during the offseason with the team and we all know how his season turned out. Few will reward those that put in the effort to play the style of basketball the coaching staff want on the court.

kitzbuel
04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
How much 'Zag' basketball is taught during the summer? Who teaches it?

DADoZAG
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I get more excited when hear about Gary Bell Jr. and Dranginis coming to campus early this year...

I couldn't imagine telling a player he can't play for his country no matter how I might think it negatively impacts my program. Just can't see that working no matter how it's approached. 'Would be amazed if Few saw it anyother way. The players psyche is just as important as the players grasp of the system, imo.

However, somewhat off topic, the quote above is not the first time I've seen mention of early arrivals which leads to the question, will any of the frosh be in town for the autograph sessions at Hoopfest? :drool:

Go ZAGS!