PDA

View Full Version : Courtney: First Pitch @ M's Game

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
SPOKANE, Wash. – (April 20, 2011 – www.GoZags.com) Gonzaga University women’s basketball senior Courtney Vandersloot will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Sunday’s Seattle Mariners game against the Oakland Athletics at Safeco Field.

The game has a start time of 1:10 p.m. and can be seen on Root Sports or MLB.com. Tickets to the game can be purchased through the Mariners here.

Vandersloot ended her career as the most prolific player in Bulldog and West Coast Conference history. The unprecedented three-time West Coast Conference Player of the Year and West Coast Conference Tournament Most Valuable Player became both Gonzaga’s and the WCC’s first consensus All-American, being named to the Coaches’ State Farm All-America Team, the John R. Wooden All-America squad and the USBWA All-America team this season. She became the first player, men’s or women’s, in NCAA Division I history to close out their career with 2,000 points and 1,000 assists, finishing with 2,073 points and 1,118 assists. She also broke the NCAA single-season assist record this season with 367 and the GU single-season scoring mark with 712. She was named the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Player of the Year and won the Nancy Lieberman Award as the top point guard in the nation.

She led the Zags to the post-season each of her four years, reaching the schools then-first NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen in 2010 and the programs first trip to the Elite Eight this season.

Vandersloot was the third overall pick in the 2011 WNBA Draft, selected by the Chicago Sky.

Cavebear33
04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
.... and that could very well be the best pitch of the night at Safeco Field.

spudzag
04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I never get tired of that bio or CV getting another honor.

BobZag
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
.... and that could very well be the best pitch of the night at Safeco Field.

Haha. Good one, Cavebear.

wazmix
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
If the catcher moves a little, I've sure CV can bounce one up there, and perfectly land it in the mitt.

:D

Section 116
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Courtney could throw to first, and have him relay it to the catcher, thus chalking up one more assist!

Oldsport
04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Courtney could throw to first, and have him relay it to the catcher, thus chalking up one more assist!

#116 You are correct !!! That's exactly what should happen. It would bring the house down. If you would use your infinite wisdom and power,..get them to set it up. :)

hondo
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
And it should be a no look throw to first.

Oldsport
04-22-2011, 06:32 PM
And it should be a no look throw to first.

Yes, hondo !!! Whitey Ford of the Yankees had a great "NO LOOK" move to first base and he was a left-hander, on to the catcher for an unbelievable assist.

ID ZAGFAN
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
They showed an interview with Courtney at about 20 to 1 but did not show the ceremonial pitch.
:mad:

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Found these links through Dave Trimmer's twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SRtrim

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/apr/24/vandersloot-takes-mound/ This pic was shown on KHQ 5 PM news, but not the pitch.

SRtrim Dave Trimmer
Courtney Vandersloot, high heat. RT @GonzagaBulldogs: @C_V21 throwing a strike. She's got an arm on her. http://plixi.com/p/95650108
35 minutes ago

C_V21 Courtney Vandersloot
by SRtrim
Maybe the mariners would have won if I was pitching haha 

ZaGranny

Section 116
04-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Courtney's pitch was shown on KXLY-TV evening news today. First thing I noticed was Courtney's pitch was just off the plate, better throw than many celebrities I've seen. Second thing, she didn't go to first base first, thus passing up the chance for another assist. I would guess the pitch will show up on youtube before long.

ID ZAGFAN
04-25-2011, 09:08 AM
With this Mariners' article.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/apr/25/ms-offensive-ineptitude-continues/

Click on pic to get a larger version.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HInmts3igY

After the pitch, the crowd was chanting "Go, Gonzaga, G o n z a g a"

Very cool.

ZaGranny

Birddog
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Jeez, does anybody actually go to the M's games?

Zagineer
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Jeez, does anybody actually go to the M's games?

The 'Neer family went to the Saturday night game. It was a beautiful day,.... sunshine and warm. There were around 25,000 there,.... a little over 50% capacity. Sunday was a cold and rainy day. No wonder the crowd was small after their performance on Saturday (lost something like 9 to 1).

To paraphrase a famous movie line,....If you win more than you loose, they will come. Problem is,.... the Mariners aren't even close right now. When the team has a BA of 228 with 6 of their 15 batters under 200, it's hard to win. They need more players touching home plate.

But back to the OP. It's time to feel good. :) I wonder if CV has any idea of how many times over the past four years she has made thousands of Zag Fans just flat out "feel good". I know it has happened to me dozens and dozens of times. I think you all know what I mean. You're bogged down in the day-to-day routine,.... over worked.... and then you watch her do her thing during a game,..... or read a newspaper article about her,..... or see her on ESPN Top Ten Plays of the Day (Number 2 none the less!! Or was it Number 3. Anyway, doesn't matter).

Thank you, Courtney, for bringing some "feel good" moments into my life. :)

And here's the best part. Courtney is just one great shinning example of what the Lady Zags are all about. Think back to those "feel good" moments delivered by Heather and Vivian, and so many others throughout the years..... and the many players that are on the team now and will be in the future.

I'm looking forward to many more "feel good" moments.

gu03alum
04-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Courtney was in Detroit last night right next to the stadium where the M's were playing.

C_V21 tweet:

Mariners are in Detroit and my hotel is next door to the stadium. I REALLY wish I had my jersey