PDA

View Full Version : Talkin Hoops with Sloot

Section 116
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
If you don't spend much time looking at Gozags.com, the official site of Bulldogs athletics you may not have seen this article. I posted it here for those who have not seen it:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041811aaa.html

Cavebear33
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Section 116. The link leads you to the last "Hoops with Sloot", as she describes her adventures and thoughts prior to, and after, her selection by the Chicago Sky. She will be missed, and I have a feeling it won't be long until we see her number hanging in the McCarthey Athletic Center alongside Stockton and Burgess. We were fortunate to see one of the all-time basketball greats over the past four years.

Oldsport
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Cavebear33 - Coach Graves did everything other than admit that Courtney's white jersey #21 would be in the rafters soon,...didn't he? :)

For ever may it shine inside the McCarthey Center! :adored:

Cavebear33
04-20-2011, 07:58 AM
That's kind of the way I interpreted his comments. For those who weren't at the banquet, the five senior's jerseys were displayed behind the head table. All were the home team white variety, except for Courtney's, which was the traveling blue. At first, it was said her home jersey was misplaced in transit while she was on her award winning tour back east, but then Coach Graves said it was well in hand and was being taken care of, or words to that effect. To me, that sure sounds like they have further plans for it.

gamagin
04-20-2011, 08:07 AM
That's kind of the way I interpreted his comments. For those who weren't at the banquet, the five senior's jerseys were displayed behind the head table. All were the home team white variety, except for Courtney's, which was the traveling blue. At first, it was said her home jersey was misplaced in transit while she was on her award winning tour back east, but then Coach Graves said it was well in hand and was being taken care of, or words to that effect. To me, that sure sounds like they have further plans for it.

Graves said all of the above. I am not sure, however, how the process works.

It took many years before JS & Burgess' jerseys were retired.

However, CV has two NCAA records salted away and frankly, as a Zag and while in uniform, has exceeded all former Zags with her career marks, including those of the two men already memorialized with retired jerseys.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it happens sooner than later. Why not ?

Once and Future Zag
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
The precedent has been set (so far) that it takes not just on-court performance at GU, but being a distinguished ambassador for Gonzaga, either on the basketball court or otherwise afterwards that results in a retiring of the number.

Don't hold your breath for Sloot's number to be retired, in other words is what I'm trying to say. I wouldn't be surprised if her Jersey is going to be displayed in the Mac along with the other GU trophies, etc though.