• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hogan
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Debbie Downer

I sure like the kool-aid some of you have been drinking,even Jazz seems almost giddy. Heck its the off-season so why not. But I'll play the pessimist. The idea that we could start two freshmen and still be a good Zag team(ie top 15-25) seems ludicrous to me. I love our in-coming freshmen, but these are not top ten type recruits. We saw how Pangos struggled against the US team.Dranginis in particular,imho,needs a lot of work. I've only seen him play one time and I know it is foolish to conclude too much from just one observation, but you can get a pretty good sense of a players size and athleticism. Based on what I saw he will be a below average athlete for this level. That's OK, it just means he has to make up for it with great skill. Based on his free throw and 3 point shooting percentages he has some work to do.Its going to take time for all our freshmen .I really fear our 1,2 and 3 positions will be mediocre at best (again comparing them to other top 25 teams).Which is a shame because we should be real strong inside.
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. I would highly suggest to not take too much out of Pangos' game against the U.S. team.

Comment

• zagitarious
      Kennel Club Material
      • Jan 2011

no matter how these kids shape up, we'll still be better than this last year.
      Zo Gags!!!

Comment

• Gin N GUice
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
        I sure like the kool-aid some of you have been drinking,even Jazz seems almost giddy. Heck its the off-season so why not. But I'll play the pessimist. The idea that we could start two freshmen and still be a good Zag team(ie top 15-25) seems ludicrous to me. I love our in-coming freshmen, but these are not top ten type recruits. We saw how Pangos struggled against the US team.Dranginis in particular,imho,needs a lot of work. I've only seen him play one time and I know it is foolish to conclude too much from just one observation, but you can get a pretty good sense of a players size and athleticism. Based on what I saw he will be a below average athlete for this level. That's OK, it just means he has to make up for it with great skill. Based on his free throw and 3 point shooting percentages he has some work to do.Its going to take time for all our freshmen .I really fear our 1,2 and 3 positions will be mediocre at best (again comparing them to other top 25 teams).Which is a shame because we should be real strong inside.
        Go to bed.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Anyone who thinks Pangos struggled against the USA Select Team at the Nike Hoop Summit should ask themselves how Gonzaga's present point guards would perform against future lottery picks like Austin Rivers, Marquise Teague and Bradley Beal. My guess: possibly worse. The USA Select guards were absolute studs.

The reason why people are suggesting that freshmen could start next year and such has as much to do with the quality of the returning players as it does the quality of the incoming freshmen. The plain truth is that David Stockton and Meech Goodson inspire less confidence than any set of returning guards Mark Few has had since he took over the program. I know everyone doesn't feel that, but I do, and I know I am not alone.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

brilliant

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
            Anyone who thinks Pangos struggled against the USA Select Team at the Nike Hoop Summit should ask themselves how Gonzaga's present point guards would perform against future lottery picks like Austin Rivers, Marquise Teague and Bradley Beal. My guess: possibly worse. The USA Select guards were absolute studs.

The reason why people are suggesting that freshmen could start next year and such has as much to do with the quality of the returning players as it does the quality of the incoming freshmen. The plain truth is that David Stockton and Meech Goodson inspire less confidence than any set of returning guards Mark Few has had since he took over the program. I know everyone doesn't feel that, but I do, and I know I am not alone.

CDC- a brilliant, well reasoned, accurate, unchallengeable post, imo.....conjuring up last years guards (incl carter) agst the likes of austin rivers sickens the stomach....

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I do like what Marquise Carter has to offer more than Meech and Stockton. Do I think he's the second coming of Dan Dickau? No. But Carter did rescue Gonzaga last year. No way GU makes the NCAA tourney without him stepping up. He can do more things on the floor than the other 2 guys. He can shoot it from distance and defend. And he has size. He isn't a liability out there on defense or offense. At worst he is ordinary. That isn't the case with the other two guys who have and will likely forever have holes that can be exploited by top 25 level opponents.

I also don't include Carter in this as much because of his versatility. I think we are going to be seeing him at the "3" more next year than some people realize, although he probably won't be employed as a traditional "3." He'll just be another guard on the floor.

Comment

• Hogan
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2007

I agree with CDC's comments. I just don't think that changes the concern with the idea of starting two freshmen.

Comment

• zag944
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

why is "drinking the kool-aid" an acceptable term?

Are you "doing what happened to kill 909 members of a religous cult" with next years team?

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I agree with CDC's comments. I just don't think that changes the concern with the idea of starting two freshmen.
                    Very much agree with you.

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

I shake my fist at the heavens and defy the gods.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• 23dpg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag944 View Post
                        why is "drinking the kool-aid" an acceptable term?

Are you "doing what happened to kill 909 members of a religous cult" with next years team?
                        Drinking the kool-aid is a metaphor that means to go along with others in a group, without questioning the validity of such actions. It does come directly from the Jonestown massacre.
                        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I'd rather lose a few with the new kids playing than win a few but sacrifice experience of the the Bell and Pangos axis. They are our future....and I don't think we'll be losing much even if they end up taking lots of minutes.

Pangos did fine at the Nike Challenge considering he only played 16 minutes and it was a team with multiple foreign tongues.....in fact I don't even know how one might evaluate him in that game. It was a mass of confusion (Phil Collins). The kids he played against were a.. 5 star kids......he needed help...didn't have it. About th eonly way he could generate universal acclaim is if he'd had put up 30 and never have missed a 3 pt shot.
                          That game , in retrospect, was an impossible situation for the world team.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

antiquated notion

the notion that frosh cant play and deliver bigtime is antiquated. Uconn and Ky are obviously blessed w five star kids, but still their freshmen start and play well. closer to home, i point to our own dinky WCC and recent examples of point guards starting and starring as frosh. i agree w Doc that i wd rather invest minutes in the newbies (assuming they are more steven holt, foster and kemba walker and less gibbs and vilarino and etc) than to sit thru another 30 games w last years incumbents....

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              the notion that frosh cant play and deliver bigtime is antiquated. Uconn and Ky are obviously blessed w five star kids, but still their freshmen start and play well. closer to home, i point to our own dinky WCC and recent examples of point guards starting and starring as frosh. i agree w Doc that i wd rather invest minutes in the newbies (assuming they are more steven holt, foster and kemba walker and less gibbs and vilarino and etc) than to sit thru another 30 games w last years incumbents....
                              Noble thought, but not gonna happen any time soon. That's just the way it is.
                              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

Working...
                              X