PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Leung's opinion of Zags next season

BobZag
04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
ESPN's Diamond Leung weighs in:

Matt (Spokane)

Gonzaga has been shown to be great in the regular season, but not so much in the dance. ( 13 years in a row ) Is it now time to expect more from the Zags?

Diamond Leung (2:35 PM)

Gonzaga should be really good next year. Robert Sacre and Elias Harris are back, and Marquise Carter and Sam Dower were impressive as well. BYU should make things interesting at the top of the WCC, but the Cougars will have to reload in the post-Jimmer era. The Zags have the type of team that can make a run in the tournament.

Well, I don't think the Zags were too great during the regular season, but you get the gist. And I think it's fair to say we shined in one NCAA game and pretty much barfed on ourselves in the other.

As for next season, I am very encouraged and anticipate a return to form for the team. Coach Few intends to change scheduling philosophy just enough to allow the guys to hit the ground running, winning some "big" games and elevating the quality of the "gaurantee games" so to pile up the W's while keeping the RPI afloat. Plus, Few finally got this bunch figured out the last 45 days or so, and infuse the 2011 class and, voila...

A better edition of the Zags return.

MDABE80
04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I have no doubt that thi snew group will be much much better. The mold is the old Zags. Throwbacks if you will.

I do think Spangler will be spectacular on the boards which should help. The guards will be the best group in years. No doubt, the climb back to the E 8 and beyond is assured (crossing fingers behind my back).

Bogozags
04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I have no doubt that thi snew group will be much much better. The mold is the old Zags. Throwbacks if you will.

I do think Spangler will be spectacular on the boards which should help. The guards will be the best group in years. No doubt, the climb back to the E 8 and beyond is assured (crossing fingers behind my back).

+1

kclubfounder
04-15-2011, 04:49 PM
After the 1st tough stretch the "Few is a good mid-major coach, don't get me wrong because I like him, but if we want to really take it to the next level it ain't happening with Few" crowd will start making a lot of noise.

Perhaps we will never have a tough stretch and that crowd will just sit in the background and yell and cheer and crow about how Few should be canonized, just like the rest of us. I sure hope that is what happens!

MickMick
04-15-2011, 05:03 PM
After the 1st tough stretch the "Few is a good mid-major coach, don't get me wrong because I like him, but if we want to really take it to the next level it ain't happening with Few" crowd will start making a lot of noise.

Perhaps we will never have a tough stretch and that crowd will just sit in the background and yell and cheer and crow about how Few should be canonized, just like the rest of us. I sure hope that is what happens!

I'm having a tough time following this.

kclubfounder
04-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Mick,

You agree with me even though my post was confusing.

There are a bunch of Zag fans who go after Few as soon as things go just a little south. They are the "Few is a good mid-major coach, don't get me wrong because I like him, but if we want to really take it to the next level it ain't happening with Few" crowd.

Here's to hoping they never have cause to open their pie holes next year.

DixieZag
04-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Help is on the way at the guard spot, not doggin anyone there, may the best players win the time. Once that occurs the pieces are already in place, I am looking forward to it. Additionally, for the first time ever, they have a chance to win some BIG non-conference games in K2, I think they win a few of those and gain confidence.

Zag 77
04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Honestly. I have never heard of the guy. So why should we care what he thingks?

Radbooks
04-15-2011, 10:16 PM

He is one of the main college basketball bloggers at :espn:

BobZag
04-16-2011, 09:06 AM

You gotta get out more, my friend.

JPtheBeasta
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Since the person in question is a famous blogger, maybe he oughta get out less :)

RenoZag
04-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Honestly. I have never heard of the guy. So why should we care what he thinks?

Ink Stained Wretch (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/diamond-leung/5/187/34b)

Out of ESPN by way of 5 years in Riverside County via UCLA. . .loves to feed the gerunds but falters when going to his past participles. . .has developed a long range metaphor and simile game in the wake of post-graduate work covering baseball. . .struggles with subjects that don't lend themselves to alliterative allusions, almost always aspires to meat and potatoes subject-verb agreement. . .

Or some such stuff. . .

;)

BJZags
04-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Few = Good basketball coach.
Cannonization (is that a word?) = Final Four
Therefore Few = Cannonization next year!

webspinnre
04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
He's being made into a cannon? Sounds painful, involving quite a deal of melting, etc.... ;)

BobZag
04-16-2011, 04:31 PM
We are the Zag.
You will be assimilated.
Resistence is futile.

CB4
04-18-2011, 03:42 AM
Here's to hoping they never have cause to open their pie holes next year.

Granted. However, with all the talent returning, if the Zags are anywhere near this past years' record in the regular season and tournament they will be hard to silence.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2011, 04:17 AM
most college bb gurus rarely cite the potential impact of newcomers this early in the preseason. either they are ignorant of them, finding out takes too much work, or they base their ratings on the past yr. this seems the case here. the zags fortunes ahead lay with the newbies -- good, bad or indifferent -- and any analyst who does not incorporate them in his projection isnt worth listening to. among the top tier guys, i would think katz -- given his friendship w few and his usual thoroughness -- will be up to snuff on bell, et al.; maybe franny. you will see this glaring weakness in most of the preseason mags come fall.....

MickMick
04-18-2011, 05:04 AM
It has become rather easy to predict Zag success.

We should welcome the people and events that sustain perpetual motion.

bullzag23
04-18-2011, 06:21 AM
He's being made into a cannon? Sounds painful, involving quite a deal of melting, etc.... ;)

can·on·izedcan·on·iz·ing
Definition of CANONIZE

transitive verb
: to declare (a deceased person) an officially recognized saint
: to make canonical (that sure clarifies it)
: to sanction by ecclesiastical authority
: to attribute authoritative sanction or approval to
: to treat as illustrious, preeminent, or sacred

TexasZagFan
04-18-2011, 06:25 AM

Stealing quotes from "The Count of Monte Cristo"? :lmao:

TexasZagFan
04-18-2011, 06:26 AM

That's an explosive term, if ever I heard one.

webspinnre
04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
can·on·izedcan·on·iz·ing
Definition of CANONIZE

transitive verb
: to declare (a deceased person) an officially recognized saint
: to make canonical (that sure clarifies it)
: to sanction by ecclesiastical authority
: to attribute authoritative sanction or approval to
: to treat as illustrious, preeminent, or sacred

Yes, but that refers to canonize, not cannonize. :D