• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

OT: Cougs Try to Cozy Up to Spokane

Meanwhile, the prominence of Gonzaga basketball has hijacked at least some of [Spokane's] interest in WSU.

"Gonzaga has stolen the town," says Moos. "They've done a great job, and they've reinvested in their success. But they don't play major-college football."
    Note to Bill Moos...from what I've seen, WSU doesn't play major college football, either.

What you were looking for wasn't found. Maybe we can help you figure out where to go.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • EuroZag2010
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2010

I'm sick of those Corny Coug commercials. Gonzaga doesn't play major football lol if we did we would be better then WSU they are aweful.
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• MedZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by angelo roncalli View Post
      note to bill moos...from what i've seen, wsu doesn't play major college football, either.
      zing.
      Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
      You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Just a matter of time. Riverpoint is a bunch of taxpayer supported buildings with no direction. Moos has been trying to figure out how to work with the Greater Spokane Inc group to get a bigger presence in Spokane.

They gave up on Spokane 30 years ago. Look for Moos to have WSU play a FB game in Spokane. They're just not in a Pac 10 city down there in Pullman. He must realize it by now. He should have worn a helmet when he played.

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

You heard it here first...WSU will play in a bowl game this year!

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

I like the Cougs.

They aren't chickens and the bravery worked for them last year.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• roxdoc
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

WSU used to play 1 or 2 football games per year in Spokane to a packed stadium. Then some dim wits decided that they needed to have a bigger presence in Pullman. They conned some Spokane alums to help expand the stadium in Pullman and then told Spokane to put it where the sun don't shine.

That was years ago, but a poor marketing manuver that they are paying for yet. Kind of like refusing to offer any courses in Spokane, until Dr. Frederickson of EWU decided to fill the void and the howles from Pullman led to the turff wars of yore. The good news was that WSU finally got off their rears and we have a much better situation now. Frederickson got bad mouthed but if he had not gone for it WSU would still only be offering a couple of courses in nursing.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                You heard it here first...WSU will play in a bowl game this year!
                Has CBI started sponsoring bowl games now?
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Zagpower
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Feb 2007

School Motto

Washington State University:
                  It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just make sure they see the flag.

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

My dad used to get season tickets to the Cougar games every other year so we could watch the Huskies in the Apple Cup. I always had a lot of fun at the Coug games, but they were a little better then. Spokane will support the Cougs when they are at least good enough to compete against other teams. I don't even think they need to be a winning team. They just need to stop embarrassing themselves.

I think they need to spend some money and get a good coach. They go cheap on coaches and that's why Bennett left. He was tired of riding the bus from Pullman to Spokane for road trips.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                      • Mar 2008

so is this a duck and weave maneuver?

To me it makes no sense: Major fundraising just underway to RENOVATE and UPGRADE Martin Stadium...yet your AD is in Spokane talking about playing games up there........

Makes me wonder if reverse psychology is being employed by Mr Moos to motivate his base to ante up money to help the renovation at Martin stadium (See Mr. X, we really want to play in Martin stadium but it just is not up to par for a Pac-12 program. Thus without the major upgrades we have aneed to look to play elsewhere for revenue drawing purposes so that we can tuck that extra revenue away so we can upgrade martin stadium in 2020. We would prefer it to start in 2014 but without fiscal backing it just wont happen)

Makes no sense to ship the players, coaching staff, cheerleaders, band an hour away to play in a smaller stadium that is far less acommodating for college football : The fans that go to the games will DRIVE down to Pullman. The students who go tot he game will NOT drive UP to Spokane....thus once again the students lose out on this proposal and I am not sold fiscally how it would pan out
                      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• jbslicer
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

The Cougs need to bring in a good opponent to the Spokane Arena. When was the last time they played anybody good in the Arena? About 1996 or 1997 when they played UCLA. Yea, I want to pay $25 (or more) to watch High Point.

Comment

• hooter73
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Their comercials sound desperate, something to the effect of:
                          "the fans are resiliant"
                          Yeah well you have to be when none of your teams can win a game and youve run out of p.ot.

I have completely lost respect for their athletic department over the handling of the drug issues.

Comment

• gamagin
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

i'm a coug fan

whenever they are playing anyone but us. The "problem" is we are inextricably tied to each other geographically.

You can't turn around without running in to a coug, or an ex-coug (like ehlo, mark rypien) or an alum/fan/coach (Dick Fry, Jud Heathcoat) in Spokane.

Adding to the irritation for me is they're pretty nice folks, generally, and many I consider friends. A few of them have even become relatives.
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• cggonzaga
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Has CBI started sponsoring bowl games now?
                              Haha, very nice Nev. Hey, it only takes 6 and I don't care what kind of bowl game it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X