• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

disappointed?

i havent watched nike game yet. are we disappointed w pangos' play or was the near nba level comp just too much?
  • NEC26
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I thought he looked just fine. Their team as a whole was way over matched inside but he looked good to me (I only watched the first half though).

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I caught part of the game, and was impressed with Pangos' poise and leadership.

While there isn't the largest sample size for me to go on, at this point the guy he reminded me of was Matt Santangelo (I almost just said "Matt" -- but then there'd be a little confusion -- although I believe you'd have known who I meant.

Is Pangos NBA ready? No way.

Is Pangos D1 ready? After summer school/open gym and Fall camp he'll be in better position to contribute.

Am I glad he's a Zag? Absolutely. Even if he's a 12 to 14 minute a game guy as a true freshman next season.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zag67
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

I was not disappointed. First I would like to agree with Gozags. He has plenty of growing to do, but he does show great poise and I really look forward to watching him run the ZAG team in the future. He made some great passes just breaking the press that the USA team put on them.

The players going to Kentucky looked REALLY good, along with Wroten and Austin Rivers for Duke. They do look ready to play and contribute quickly and will make them teams to beat next year.

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Rivers, Teague, Beal, Wroten .....

All those players look like they can go directly to the NBA.

Pangos has one summer of AAU ball under his belt. He held up extremely well under elite defensive pressure. He found open guys more often than not. On a couple of occasions, the elite opponent's combination of length, jumping ability, and quickness turned Pangos over. Pangos defintiely had a tough time guarding some of those players in transition. 99% of D1 returning, experienced guards will have difficulty guarding those guys.

I'm not that alarmed. There isn't a team this side of Kentucky that will be loaded with that much talent when Pangos comes to play.

Kevin was the World's leading scorer at halftime. His team wasn't on the same page and they were physically outmatched at every position except center. Still, Pangos made the players around him better.

Actually, not only am I not dissapointed, I am quite satisfied with what I saw of him. I try to envision Stockton in that game and have come to the conclusion that Pangos is immediately ready to step in for GU.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• karloslonn
            Redshirt
            • Jan 2010

pangos

looked like the best guard on world team. When he came out in 1st quarter the world team had the lead and he was ripping it up. He only ended up playing about half the game but what i saw was impressive. Couple boards, some assists, directed the team good and he had a couple of steals too. He didn't score a whole lot but he looked way good to me. Anothler impressive thing was that he didn't look intimidated or overmatched he looked like he belonged playing against guys like Rivers

Comment

• bigblahla
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
              I try to envision Stockton in that game and have come to the conclusion that Pangos is immediately ready to step in for GU.
              We see what we want Mick. What I saw says KP will have to work hard to take Stocks minutes so I don't see it the way you do.

Is KP talented? You betcha.

Is it so over the top he's a shoo in to hit the floor next year in a GU jersey? I can't see how you could make that evaluation from this game.

Good player who could become a really good player in time but Stocks isn't gonna just sit still and roll over.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited about Kevin becoming a contributing member of the Zags but I didn't see the performance I expected from KP per the hype permeating this board.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
              Last edited by bigblahla; 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM.
              "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2008

No disappointment. Good potential for Pangos.

I still won't be surprised, though, if he Redshirts.
                "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                  We see what we want Mick. What I saw says KP will have to work hard to take Stocks minutes so I don't see it the way you do.

Is KP talented? You betcha.

Is it so over the top he's a shoo in to hit the floor next year in a GU jersey? I can't see how you could make that evaluation from this game.

Good player who could become a really good player in time but Stocks isn't gonna just sit still and roll over.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited about Kevin becoming a contributing member of the Zags but I didn't see the the performance I expected from KP per the hype permeating this board.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Agree 100%

For all the hype, personally I expected more. While he has good potential, nothing from that game screamed "Wow, this kid will come in and play right away".

Also, if GBJ is better than Tony Wroten (as the board has said many times) than GBJ will be newcomer of the year and possibly all conference as a freshman.

Comment

• john montana
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Not disappointed...he will be a very good player for us. Eerily similar to ds, but bigger, quicker and maybe more athletic. Doesn't have ds's freak show long arms or big hands though. Who plays more next year will be interesting...I bet they have some battles!

Should be interesting to see how he develops. Could be a great four year leader/point guard and I am glad to have him for sure.
                    john montana
                    http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                      Agree 100%

For all the hype, personally I expected more. While he has good potential, nothing from that game screamed "Wow, this kid will come in and play right away".

Also, if GBJ is better than Tony Wroten (as the board has said many times) than GBJ will be newcomer of the year and possibly all conference as a freshman.
                      +2. Wroten looked good, and I got excited thinking we possibly got the better player. Pangos will fit in nicely at GU. My glass is half full right now, but I was expecting to walk away with a full one. Judging by this performance alone, he is not heads and shoulders better than the two we have (maybe 1-3 inches, per the bio sheet.) He doesn't have an aesthetically pleasing shot, but neither do Micky or Deladova- if Pangos shot had fallen tonight my takeaway would have been better. The part that worries me the most is that he is not physical that much greater than Stockton, and he looked susceptible to the press and just average on defense.

Comment

• Chicken Ball
                        Kennel Club
                        • Feb 2007

Immediate upgrade

He played well against that competition. A few things I noticed: he blew by team USA's defenders twice, once finding a teammate and the other missing a floater in the lane that looked pretty coming out of his hands. He missed two wide open threes. I'm betting he doesn't do that much. He also was good directing traffic and getting the offense going. He was quick enough and had good enough handles to control the World Team's offense even through USA's pressure D. He did not look to score except at the very end, and maybe should have.

He'll never be able to guard guys like Rivers 1-on-1. But then, he won't have to. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do against normal D-1 talent, as opposed to the Jr. NBA team he played against last night.

Comment

• Ekrub
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2009

His entire team was outmatched making it hard for a play maker to make plays. If he was truly elite at this point (nothing anybody I have seen claim here) he would have shined above them all. I think he will have a lot easier time playing with Gonzagas weapons (Sacre, Harris, Dower, etc...) looked to me like a David Stockton with a better shot (even though I don't think he shot very well, but I was fairly tires watching it last night). Also, both teams seemed to lack chemistry, which could play a bit into the final result.

Wrotten impressed me, wiltjer was a bit of a letdown. But this was a small sample to judge from with one team that was severely outmatched. We won't truly know until the season starts I suppose. The uncertainty just gives us more to argue about in the mean time

Comment

• Bombs over Zaghdad
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Mar 2010

I am not disappointed. Pangos looked good in my opinion. I also tried to picture Stockton out there and I thought that they were very similar except for size. I think Pangos may have a slight better shot as well. Competition will be stiff next year. I think the Red-shirt question is interesting for him. Although I can see the benefits, I can't help but want him to contribute right away.

Pangos had no one around him for support except the big guy down low. Wiltjer looked lost. I have to agree with everyone else that he will be getting splinters at KU. Too bad he decided to go there; I really think GU would have fit his game so much better. There were 4 guys in that game going to Kentucky. And those other guys will take his playing time.

Overall, I like Pangos and think that he will be a great, if not prolific Zag over the next 4 years.

Comment

• FuManShoes
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by karloslonn View Post
                              looked like the best guard on world team. When he came out in 1st quarter the world team had the lead and he was ripping it up. He only ended up playing about half the game but what i saw was impressive. Couple boards, some assists, directed the team good and he had a couple of steals too. He didn't score a whole lot but he looked way good to me. Anothler impressive thing was that he didn't look intimidated or overmatched he looked like he belonged playing against guys like Rivers
                              This sums it up for me. The problem was the World team roster and the personnel decisions -not Kevin Pangos. He played a nice game, made some plays and tried to get his guys the ball. He looked like he belonged and is definitely a pass-first guard. A few times he drove and dished when maybe taking his own shot would have been better given the length of the American defenders. He got beat down the floor on a couple transition buckets, as most good-but-not-elite athletes would. Also, you wonder if in a league game he tries to take a charge. Was he as good as the Americans? No. Was he better than any other guard on the World team? I thought so.
                              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

Working...
                              X