PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Stars at the Warehouse

Cavebear33
04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
The Spokane Stars, the former team of Gonzaga players, Heather Bowman and Katelan Redmon, and future Zags, Shelby Cheslek and Shaniqua Nilles, will be in action tomorrow (Sunday) at the Warehouse in a local tournament benefitting the Sandpipers AAU team. Their first game will be against the Sandpipers at 9:30 AM, and they'll play two more times in the afternoon, at 2:30 and 4:30. It's a chance to see some future Division 1 players, and possibly even more Gonzaga recruits. Heather is assisting Ron Adams and Steve Ranniger in coaching the team this year. The Stars' roster follows, with their high school graduation date.

5 Hallie Gennet (University) 6-0 2013
11 Purshall Artison ( Seattle Prep) 5-5 2012
12 Brooke Gallaway (Central Valley) 5-10 2012
14 Devyn Galland (Lewis & Clark ) 5- 8 2012
20 Mercedes Sparks (Chiawana, Pasco) 6-1 2012
21 Sophie Reichelt (Holy Names, Seattle) 6-1 2012
22 Jalyn von Oelhoffen (Richland) 5-9 2012
23 Brooke Litalien (Post Falls) 5-6 2013
25 Taylor Howlett (Lewis & Clark) 5-8 2013
34 Aleisha Hathaway (Shadle Park) 5-10 2012
44 Sydney Williams (Coeur d' Alene) 6-0 2013

spudzag
04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd love to hear a report of what you see at the game. Assume one of Graves assistants will be there.

Oldsport
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Cavebear - Did you make to the Warehouse this afternoon? A tournament with two great programs seem to me to be a win-win for area universities. I wish that I could have been there, wanted to be there, couldn't. :o

Please, do post any results...:)

Cavebear33
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I did make it to the Warehouse. There were a number of teams in attendance, with a number of local girls showing their basketball skills. The Stars started the day against the Sandpipers, host team for the tournament. That was their most closely contested game of the day, with the Pipers leading at half, 27-25. The Stars made a offensive rush at the start of the second half to go ahead double digits, only to have the Sandpipers rally to make it close at the end. The Stars won 58-51. Katie Estey of Central Valley, a newcomer to the Sandpipers, was the leading scorer with 16, hitting four three pointers along the way. Lindsay Stockton scored 11. Aleisha Hathaway of Shadle Park was the leading scorer for the Stars with 18.

In the afternoon, the Stars played two more games, first against the Montana Hoops team, and finished the day against the Spokane Dawgs, who are anything but that. Both games were won handily 61-36, and 56-34. Aleisha Hathaway had 18 again against Montana, and Brooke Gallaway of Central Valley had 11 in a balanced scoring attack over the Dawgs. The first half against the Dawgs showed the Stars at their best, with break-aways, steals, pin-point passing and shooting. They don't have the size of past Stars teams, but work well together and have a lot of speed. Purshall Artison of Seattle Prep, especially has some wheels. Devyn Galland of Lewis & Clark, caused numerous turnovers with her tenacious defense. Sophie Reichelt of Holy Names, is 6-1, the tallest of the current Stars, has a nice touch inside, and also can contribute outside, hitting some threes as well. A well balanced team that should represent well in tournament outings. After the last game, they headed for the airport and Phoenix, Arizona for a tournament there next week.

Today's games were well attended. I saw a number of basketball notables in the stands. Among them, Duane Ranniger and Jamie Nilles, both former West Valley coaches, sat with each other at one game. Although both coached the boys at WV, they have strong connections to the women's game as well. Duane is the grandfather of Jami Bjorklund Schaefer and Angie Bjorklund. Jamie is the father of Shaniqua, who will be at Gonzaga next season. John Stockton and family were there to root on not just Lindsay, who plays for the Sandpipers, but younger daughter, Laura, who was also participating on another Sandpiper team. A great day for a basketball junkie.

BobZag
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Duane Ranniger was coaching way back when I was in high school. East Valley and West Valley were bitter rivals back then. Not so much anymore.