PDA

View Full Version : NIKE Hoop Summit on FSN at 7pm Saturday

BobZag
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Note: Now the TV listing does say 9:30pm, following Mariners game.

Pacific Time.

I assume it's nationwide FSN and not "Root TV" which is the new name for FSN-Northwest and FSN-Rocky Mountain and FSN-Utah.

Watch Kevin Pangos, but also keep an eye on P. Karnowski, the big center from Poland. They might be teammates in 2012-13.

Who's going?

Zagdawg
04-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Darn-- heading to watch the Chiefs whoop up on the Americans at the arena.

Thank goodness for the ability to DVR games!

Drew
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Is Karnowski class of 2012? I thought he was 2011.

Therunner
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
:cool:

:cheers:

ZagNative
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Apologies if this has been clarified previously, but my Comcast listing for FSN #32 has the game delayed to 9:30 p.m. Is it on another channel live on Comcast?

BobZag
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I just went from the TV Lineup in today's S-R (sports section). They are not always correct.

scrooner
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm going. It's a good excuse to take my 5-year old (my avatar) to his first game.

jazzdelmar
04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
here in SD its delayed tape at 930.......still, a major event for GU hoops future

BobZag
04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Fans will get an early chance to watch Gonzaga University freshman guard Kevin Pangos Saturday when the World Select Team faces the USA Junior National Select Team Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Rose Garden in the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit.

The game will be televised on Root Sports (formerly Fox Sports) and the Fox Sports Network (FSN), but fans should check local listings for regional coverage or blackouts in some areas.

Pangos, a 6-1, 175-pound point guard from Dr. Dennison High in Newmarket, Ontario, capped his senior season by leading Dr. Dennison to the title game of the AAA Provincial playoffs, scoring 26-points in the title game setback.

A bronze medal winner with Canada at the inaugural FIBA U17 World Championship in Germany last year, Pangos became one of the youngest-ever players to appear for the Canadian senior national team in 2009. The team captain and starting point guard averaged 15.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg and 4.1 assists as Canada went 5-3 overall and defeated Lithuania 83-81 for the bronze medal. Canada went 3-2 in group play, taking second in Group B. He shot 46.2 percent from the field (42-for-91), including 39.1 percent from 3-point range (18-for-46). He also shot 82.8 from the free throw line (24-for-28). He scored in double-digits in seven of the eight games, including 26 in the tournament opener against Germany and 22 against Poland.

The World Select Team on Thursday announced the addition of two players to its roster for the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit, the premier annual basketball game featuring many of the world's leading basketball players aged 19-years-old or younger.

With Guo Ailun (6’4”, Liaoning Panpan Hunters and China) and Bismack Biyombo (6’9”, Fuenlabrada, Spain and DR Congo) completing the 11-man roster for the World Select Team, the 14th annual Nike Hoop Summit promises to be just as memorable as the last two encounters.

After securing a 97-89 victory in 2009 – the World Team’s first win in the series in 11 years and third overall – the international squad lost narrowly to the USA in 2010, 101-97. The United States holds a 10-3 advantage in the Nike Hoop Summit. Apart from the victory in 2009, the other two World Team victories came in 1996 in Charlotte, North Carolina, by a 104-96 margin, and in 1998 in San Antonio, Texas, when, famously, Dirk Nowitzki had 33 points and 14 rebounds in a 104-99 victory.

The Nike Hoop Summit, which sees America's top senior high school players take on a World Select Team consisting of many of the world's top players 19-years-old or younger, has given an extraordinary number of talented youngsters the chance to showcase their abilities. More than 100 Hoop Summit alumni have been drafted into the NBA.

Tickets for the Nike Hoop Summit are now on sale, with reserved courtside seats priced $25 and $50 and all other general admission tickets $6 in advance and $10 on game day. Tickets can be purchased through the Rose Quarter Ticket Office, by calling 877-789-ROSE (7673) or online at www.rosequarter.com.

The World Team for the first time includes a player based in Portland, the venue for the game. Kyle Wiltjer, a 6’9” forward from the Jesuit High School also represents his home nation Canada at Hoop Summit.

Along with Wiltjer, the other World Team forward positions are taken by Dario Saric (6’9”, KK Zagreb CC and Croatia) and Davis Bertans (6’7”, Union Olimpija and Latvia).

The team also features five guards – Guo, Mateusz Ponitka (6’5”, AZS Politechnika and Poland), Evan Fournier (6’6”, Union Poitiers and France), Raul Neto (6’2”, Pitagoras/Minas and Brazil) and Pangos.

The global squad is currently rounded off with centers Biyombo, Lucas Nogueira (7’0”, Estudiantes and Brazil) and Przemyslaw Karnowski (7’0”, SMS PZKosz and Poland).

Guo is already a member of the senior Chinese national team and represented his nation at the 2010 World Championships in Turkey, playing in four games. His elevation to the senior national team capped a memorable year for the guard in which he was leading scorer at the inaugural U17 World Championship in Germany, averaging 22.4 points over eight games, and also ranked third in assists (5.5 apg.). In the same summer, Guo also led China to gold in the U18 Asian Championship in Yemen.

Biyombo, a center from the Democratic Republic of Congo, started his club career in the Yemen before moving to Spain with CB Ilescas Urban in the LEB Silver, the second division of Spanish professional basketball. In January 2011, he signed for Baloncesto Fuenlabrada in Spain’s ACB, the top division of Spanish basketball. He is averaging 6.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 15 minutes per game for his new club.

Wiltjer starred at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in San Antonio, Texas, last year where he helped Canada to a bronze medal and was named to the All-Tournament second team after averaging 19.4 points and 6.0 rebounds a game while shooting 62.1 percent from the field. His father Greg was a second round draft pick of the Chicago Bulls in 1984, the year in which he also played for Canada in the Los Angeles Olympics. Greg eventually went on to win a European title with FC Barcelona.

Croatia’s Saric has recently been loaned to the KK Dubrava Zagreb club from neighbors KK Zagreb Croatia where he has seen his minutes increase on the way to averaging16.0 points and 8.6 rebounds a game. A regular for the national team at age group levels, Saric played for the U16 and U18 teams in 2010, being named as MVP as Croatia won gold at the U16 European Championship.

Also at the forward position, Bertans was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2010 U18 European Championship as he helped Latvia to a bronze medal with statistics of 14.8 points and 7.7 rebounds a game. He has recently signed for the junior team of the storied Union Olimpija club in Slovenia.

From Poland, Mateusz Ponitka plays for the AZS Politechnika team in Warsaw, Poland, in the top division of Polish basketball. He was also named to the All-Tournament team at the FIBA U17 World Championship in Germany in 2010 after helping Poland to a silver medal while averaging 19.0 points a game. He also stood out for his national team last summer at the U18 European Championship in Vilnius, Lithuania.

France’s Evan Fournier, meanwhile, played for the French U19 team in 2010, having helped the U18 team to win a silver medal in the European Championship a year earlier, where he was named to the All-Tournament team. Fournier is currently in his first season with Union Poitiers in the French Pro A league where he recently scored a season-high 21 points in a victory over Nancy.

The final guard, Brazil’s Neto, helped his country to the silver medal at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in 2010, where averages of 15.4 points and 6.0 rebounds a game were sufficient to earn him selection to the All-Tournament second team. He was also chosen for the Brazil senior team that played in the World Championship in Turkey, playing in one game against Iran. His club basketball is played with the Pitagoras/Minas Tenis Clube in Brazil’s NBB.

At the center positions, Neto’s countryman Lucas Nogueira – who is also known by his nickname “Bebe” – first came to prominence in last year’s Nike Global Challenge where he averaged 16.0 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.3 blocks while shooting 63 percent from the field. Against eventual winners the USA, he had a 22-point, 14-rebound performance. He currently plays in Spain for a feeder club for the Estudiantes team in Madrid.

Karnowski, a Polish national team mate of Ponitka, plays for the SMS PZKosz team in the second division of his homeland. He came to international prominence at the U16 European Championship in 2009 when he was named to the Tournament first team and named best center of the competition. But it was last summer’s World FIBA U17 World Championship where Karnowski really made his name, helping Poland win silver with averages of 14.5 points, 11.0 rebounds (2nd best in tournament), 2.5 assists and 2.0 blocks per game. He was also named to the All-Tournament team and selected as best center of those World Championship.

The World Team will be led by first-year coach Roy Rana, who is a five-year veteran of Canadian national team basketball. Coach Rana led Canada to bronze at the inaugural FIBA U17 World Championships in Germany in 2010, the latest in a long list of international honors which also includes two bronze medals and one silver with Canada at the Nike Global Challenge from 2006-09. Coach Rana will again be assisted by Serbia's Marin Sedlacek, who is making his 11th Hoop Summit appearance.

The World Select Team has been assembled by Nike's Consultant of Global Basketball Rich Sheubrooks after consulting with general managers, clubs, federations, scouts and coaches from around the world. The Nike sports marketing team, from around the world, has also given a great deal of input and suggestions on players from their regions.

“The Hoop Summit is a unique event,” said Sheubrooks. “Bringing together players from around the globe to form a team in less than a week, from so many different cultures, languages and continents proves that basketball is a universal language.

“It is so rewarding to see a guy from China and another from Croatia both chasing the same dream and that is to be the best basketball player they can be. It truly is one ball, one dream and one world, meeting in Portland.”

To date, 109 former USA and World Select players have been drafted by NBA teams and, as of Dec. 1, 2010, 58 former USA players and 17 former World team members were active in the NBA.

former1dog
04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, serious question....

Who is everyone going to root for in this game?

Zagdawg
04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking the european guy and the asian guy and isn't that wroten guy playing too........rumor has it he is the 4th best point in the state of Washington (plus he is related to one of my fav udub players..... nate the great robinson).

:) ha ha

OZZY
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
International all of the way from my viewing location "Down Under", actually we don't have a player this year.....interesting. St. Mary's won't be represented :)

wazmix
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Hoping to get a great dunk-picture of a future NBA superstar.......and see some kid named Pangos. Have you heard of him ??

I'll have some Zag-gear on.....and the camera, so if you see me, buy me a hotdog. I'll be starving. :rolleyes:

U Zig, I Zag
04-08-2011, 07:08 PM
http://northpolehoops.com/?action=article&pageid=e0c641195b27425bb056ac56f8953d24

When asked if Pangos plays with a chip on his shoulder, he responded, "Honestly, that's not my style, I don't play to prove people wrong. I play the game I love, and I play best when I'm having fun, not to prove to anyone anything."

ronh_pm
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
For those of us that live in the Draconian era of television; also know as Canada, FIBA appears to be broadcasting the game online

http://www.fibatv.com/page/fibaLive/0,,12805~633075,00.html

Zagineer
04-08-2011, 09:58 PM
For Seattle area Comcast..........

The on-screen program display is showing it scheduled for Channel 30 (ROOT) at 9:30 pm.

Also on Channel 627 for ROOTD at 9:30 pm.

(The MLB Cleveland vs Seattle game will be aired during the actual live BBall game.)

After the delayed BBall game, Comcast will show the delayed Chicago vs Seattle MLS Soccer game that was played at 1:00 pm. Which I will be attending with Mini 'Neer. :)

jazzdelmar
04-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Pangos also led in Italy (along with Anthony Bennett) when his Hoop Factory Elite team became the first non-European team to win the prestigous Victor Rho Milan International Basketball in 2009.

Don't forget his selection at last year's Jordan Brand Classic where he scored nine points respectively in MAdison Square Garden.

this is news to me. true?

ronh_pm
04-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Pangos also led in Italy (along with Anthony Bennett) when his Hoop Factory Elite team became the first non-European team to win the prestigous Victor Rho Milan International Basketball in 2009.

Don't forget his selection at last year's Jordan Brand Classic where he scored nine points respectively in MAdison Square Garden.

this is news to me. true?

Pangos played in the International game...and scored 9 points on not great 4-15 shooting. He would have been a boy amongst men.

http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/classic/pdf/10internationalbox.pdf

Nevtelen
04-09-2011, 08:18 AM
For Seattle area Comcast..........

After the delayed BBall game, Comcast will show the delayed Chicago vs Seattle MLS Soccer game that was played at 1:00 pm. Which I will be attending with Mini 'Neer. :)

I'll be there as well - I really really hope the Rave Green can finally pull out a win today...

Should be a fun day of sports, with the Sounders this afternoon and getting to watch Pangos and possibly Polish recruit in the evening.

EuroZag2010
04-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I am DVRing it and its showing the game at 9 after the Mariners game....

nonzagzag
04-09-2011, 09:55 AM
supposedly DISH will have it on live on channel 444 at 7 and also on 426 at 9:30. I am DVRing both because you never know for sure....

the_Canadian_Pipeline
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
From NBADRAFt.net

Kevin Pangos - The future Gonzaga Bulldog had a very solid practice. He showcased his strong shooting ability and his overall craftiness offensively. Pangos should get plenty of playing time for the international team on Saturday.

And a great review of Zag recruit Przemyslaw Karnowski

Przemyslaw Karnowski - Karnowski was an absolute monster in practice. He's a poor athlete, but that didn't prevent him from throwing down some backboard-straining dunks. Nobody was able to keep his 7'1" 279 lbs frame from establishing position in the post. Despite being matched up against better athletes, Karnowski had his way down low. He also showcased his jump shot, knocking down several shots from around 18 feet. Defensively he had no trouble against Nogueira and Biyombo, and he showed good shot blocking ability. Still, his foot speed will definitely be a concern against a player like Anthony Davis. He'll be an interesting player to watch on Saturday.

Full link http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-nike-hoop-summit-practice-report

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 12:52 PM
can't remember ever being this excited to watch one of these contests

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 01:06 PM
For those of us that live in the Draconian era of television; also know as Canada, FIBA appears to be broadcasting the game online

http://www.fibatv.com/page/fibaLive/0,,12805~633075,00.html

Any chance the game is being streamed in the US as well? The broadcasting link above states, "This game is not available in your Country". Any remedies?

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Tony Wroten on the US Team at the Nike Summit :confused: REALLY? This is probably the most overrated Washington HS basketball player I've ever seen. I think it's not even an argument that Gary Bell Jr. is the better in-state recruit, yet Wroten gets all the exposure and invites to the elite invitational games. I'm glad the staff stayed close with Gary Bell Jr. and he'll be wearing a Zag uni next year.

I'm excited to watch Pangos tonight, and get a glimpse of Karnowski since he has received some attention on this board. It will be bitter sweet to watch Wiltjer, but that's how recruiting goes...

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 06:05 PM
No way to watch this game online? Gosh darn it. ;)

ZagNative
04-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Game underway. Live blogging on oregonlive.com (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/).

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I hope Kevin kicks a********** tonight. Defending the US kids is the main chore.

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 06:41 PM
The World team is getting dominated in transition, on the boards, on defense, you name it...its not much of a contest thus far. Pangos made some FT's and that's about it...the big Polish kid, Karnowski, gets his shot swatted more than he can shoot it...very unimpressed with him. Maybe they can turn it around?

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Pangos for 3 :)

best player out there so far is the kid from the Congo, Biyombo.

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Pangos for 3 :)

best player out there so far is the kid from the Congo

Yup. He's an NBA prospect for sure...I mean he's only 18, yet listed at 6'8" 245lbs, with a 7'7" WING SPAN and it shows.

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
The World team is getting dominated in transition, on the boards, on defense, you name it...its not much of a contest thus far.

Yup. athletically overmatched so far. Austin Rivers, Brandon Beal pretty good, too.

Kevin looks like a ballplayer out there tho. not dominating or anything, but he's hanging

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I recognize he's playing against elite competition but Przemyslaw Karnowski is at least 2-3 years away from making any meaningful contribution in D1 hoops. He's 7'1", 270lbs but plays like he's 6'1", 170lbs. I think he's had every shot swatted he's attempted and all of his highlight tapes on youtube show the exact same thing -- he gets swatted 1/3 shots, no joke, just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SOU7J3_wZc and the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit game to realize he's not worthy of a Gonzaga scholarship, imho. He receives these opportunities b/c of his god-given size and thats it. He looks like a slightly better version of Will Foster and maybe that is a stretch...

However, I like the look of Kevin Pangos on the court. While he's not dominating the stat sheet, he's trying his best to get his teammates involved but you can tell there is a communication/chemisty issue between the team. You can tell he "gets it" and he made every shot I watched him attempt, so wouldn't mind see him become more assertive and search for his shot a bit more...surprised Kyle Wiltjer isn't being more aggresive. He looks smooth and has a beautiful jumper, but just seems very "weak" imo. He'll receive PT at Kentucky, but far far far from a 'one and done' as he's eluded to in interviews. He could use about 25 lbs of muscle before knocking on the League's door...

Fun game, but USA is just more athletic in a big way at every position, save PF. The World should take more long-range shots and look to run a bit more than they are doing...

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Wiltjer's done nothing. just got swatted again

edit: and again

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
3rd quarter ends, no minutes for Kevin. USA up 13

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Hate to admit it, but Anthony Davis(UK) and Tony Wroten(UW) look like the best players on the floor tonight. Very impressed with Wroten's ability to distribute the ball and his guard skills on the floor. Very athletic, great defender, and appears to have superb vision. Without a doubt, the Huskies reeled in their best recruit in a decade with this kid...he's better than EVERY player on their current roster(maybe I. Thomas could be an exception, maybe). Many of us have labeled him "overrated", but considering this the first time I've seen him play, I don't see it. IF Gary Bell is anywhere this good as many have stated he is, then he's an instant starter the first day he steps on campus...anyone who says otherwise is mis-guided and just wishful thinking...

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Gilchrist too, playing some ball

Biyombo

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Gary doesn't have the size of Wroten but he's got better skills. Not seen them head to head but all reports indicate that's the case. Plus Gary's a very thoughtful and humble kid. Seems a better fit for GU. Unusual to get two gaurds liek Bell and Pangos on the floor at the same time. I'm thinking the sum of the parts are greater than either alone.

Goshzagit
04-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Gilchrist too, playing some ball

Biyombo

The Teague kid looks like a jet with the ball too...Biyombo for sure -- he is a beast and must have a 40+" vert and amazingly strong, anyone check his Birth Certificate? lol

Pangos with nice move into the lane, then misses the floater, but follow-up with a great pass in transition(seems to be his game w/little opportunity to display it). imo.

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:53 PM
not many 2nd half minutes for Kevin, and Team USA looking darn good.

ronh_pm
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Pangos has been *ok* in his limited minutes but Biyombo is the only legit player the world team has for him to work with. His shooting from the extended line has not been great..1-4 I think from three.

Defensively Kevin will need to learn some footwork to guard in D1 as the athletic guards are too much for him out on the perimeter.

If these announcers say "Kentucky" one more time I will never buy Nike runners again. Well, maybe if they are on clearence.

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
.Biyombo for sure -- he is a beast and must have a 40+" vert and amazingly strong, anyone check his Birth Certificate?

recruit him if available

ronh_pm
04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
recruit him if available

He declared for the draft...

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
He declared for the draft...

oh well. what a talent, huh?

bballbeachbum
04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to watching Kevin Pangos wearing Gonzaga colors. at the end, Ernie Kent said he's the prototype Gonzaga guard, smart and sharp, soemthing like that. wish we could have seen more minutes tonight, but looking forward to seeing more next year

ZagMan in Philly
04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Biyomba and Rivers, what talent. Future NBA players.
Pangos will fit right in with the Zags, he has leadership skills and can handle the ball well, and not shy shooting the bombs.

MickMick
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
After watching that, I'm not sold on Wiltjer as a "two and done" player.

He was physically outmatched by the elite US bigs. They were either rejecting him or forcing him to alter shots into misses. They were easliy outrunning/outjumping him in transition. He was efffectively shut down in the paint and padded his scoring from the perimeter with the game already decided.

Considering the level of talent up and down the UK roster, Wiltjer looks like a four year player that will not see a significant role at UK until his junior season.

About the only conclusion I can draw from Pangos is that he seems to handle athletic defensive pressure well, and he does have a knack for finding people. Rivers completely spun him around in transition, but Rivers is going to do that to people in the NBA as well. I would have liked to have seen Pangos on the floor for longer stretches.

FuManShoes
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I know the world team was schooled, but Kevin's first minutes looked good. Got a steal, bounce passed up ahead to a shooter for three.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Pangos started for the World Team and got them off to a good start and lead. However, Guo Ailun (China) is getting the majority of the time at point guard and the World Team is suffering. They look completely out of rythm without Pangos directing things on the floor... it's actually horrible basketball to watch by the World Team right now in the last stage of the 1st quarter.

Bring back Pangos!

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Kevin moves very well with the ball. Smooth kid. He might do himself a good turn if his 3 pt shot was a bit more elevated on release. Ravs had the same problem(low release) but it didn't bother him. I like Keven...and how he handles himself.

USA is full of polished dazzling athletes. World looks like many inexperienced kids thrown together. Some super skilled, most not so much.
Rivers sure seems like a mouthy spoiled, self entitled kid. Good though.

Lotsa contacted from the US kids. Rough game.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Wow, the World Team seems set on a backcourt of Neto (Brazil) and Ailun (China). This backcourt is horrible... :vomit-smiley-007: How is a Canadian head coach given the majority of the minutes to these international players :confused:

In the 1st quarter: Karnowski just doesn't look like he belongs on the court either. Big and slow... not matching up well with Team USA's quickness and athleticism.

Disappointing 1st quarter from the standpoint of not seeing a whole lot of Kevin Pangos.

FuManShoes
04-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Agreed! The world was up 9-6 when Pangos left, and down 25-18 when he got back in -and soon hit a three. What the hell? Hard to believe these are the best international juniors. Byombo (sp) is the ####.

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
The US team could be in a Final Four! So much talent.
No doubt the World kids fall apart without Pangos at the helm. The kid from Congo is a very big skilled kid. Love to find a big like that for us.

Bombs over Zaghdad
04-09-2011, 09:10 PM
The Polish kid, Karnowski (Spelling might be suspect) is lost. Ghost in the post.

I like watching pangos though. Great sense on the court and is a clear leader. More of him please!

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
The World Team plays as more of complete unit with Pangos on the floor, and Pangos hit his first 3 pointer of the game. The World Team is pulling themselves back into this game with Pangos as PG. The World Team definitely doesn't have the skills and athleticism as Team USA... completely different class of players with the exception of Biyombo (Congo) who has declared for the NBA draft and is a dominant force down low for the World Team.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Tony Wroten looks like a typical Romar "me first" player. He is just a ridiculously selfish player on the court... not impressed with his overall contribution on the court for Team USA.

Team USA definitely has 3 point shooters on the court... wow.

FuManShoes
04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
The world team just seems soft. Funny how the stereotype holds up. The US team crashes the glass and hustles - the euro bigs don't. Then again maybe they are bringing all-star game effort - coach included - and the Americans just have way too much skill. Pangos mostly holds his own though. He's got a lot of poise and potential.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Wow... not a really skilled World Team in this game. I'm totally impressed with the skills on display from a number of the Team USA players (too many to name), but the World Team is completely outmatched on the floor in this 1st half.

Pangos was a solid performer for the World Team... very high basketball IQ and very comfortable directing the offensive flow as a PG (leader) on the floor. He doesn't seem phased by the bigger stage and talent he's up against with Team USA. Pangos looked solid in the 1st half.

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Wiltjer does not look like a Kentucky player. I have some doubts (of course this is only 1 game against stiff competition) on nearly everything he does. He's got a nice LD jumper but the rest doesn't look too spectacular. being blocked, air balls, poor rebounding ,etc is an eye opener for me. Ball handling is decent. I don't know how long he'll sit before he realizes he's in a whole new part of the world.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:33 PM
FYI...

ESPN has Bismark Biyombo as a lottery pick in the 2011 draft. He certainly hasn't disappointed in the 1st half of this game.

Also, wasn't GU linked to Evan Fournier at one point? Is he still eligible to play NCAA basketball?

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Bell would hold up very well with this USA group. No doubt in my mind. World is playing a different brand of basketball.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Wiltjer does not look like a Kentucky player. I have some doubts (of course this is only 1 game against stiff competition) on nearly everything he does. He's got a nice LD jumper but the rest doesn't look too spectacular. being blocked, air balls, poor rebounding ,etc is an eye opener for me. Ball handling is decent. I don't know how long he'll sit before he realizes he's in a whole new part of the world.

:agreed: Since his signing with UK, I've felt it's only a matter of time before he decides to transfer. I just have a feeling he will end up in an Oregon uniform and around NCAA basketball longer than others have projected... I don't see him as a Kentucky player for Calipari or a "one and done" player.

FuManShoes
04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
:agreed: Since his signing with UK, I've felt it's only a matter of time before he decides to transfer. I just have a feeling he will end up in an Oregon uniform and around NCAA basketball longer than others have projected... I don't see him as a Kentucky player for Calipari or a "one and done" player.

If I'm remembering correctly, HS senior/college freshman-age Heyvelt brought more than Wiltjer's showing here: perimeter shooting and better inside game though same reluctance to battle for boards. Hell, Elias Harris would have been the best player on the world team at this age. Is the skill level down or is the US just a lot farther ahead in athleticism and talent?

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Biyombo is a stud... the rest of the World Team is really not able to compete at this level. Biyombo is climbing up the NBA draft boards with this performance tonight. No one on the floor for Team USA can match up with Biyombo.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Wroten actually having a good 2nd half for Team USA... 5 assists. I still believe Gary Bell Jr. is the better player...

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I expected to see a Wiltjer/Pangos connection for the World Team in this game given their Canadian connection. It's just not there, but Pangos distibutes the ball well and gets his teammates involved.

Baseline
04-09-2011, 09:52 PM
If tonight is ant indicator Witjer better get used to sitting on the bench. Maybe he is having a bad game, but I think we are lucky to have Spangler and not him.

Pangos is solid, but he didn't have much to work with. Great ball control.

FuManShoes
04-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Kentucky better win or compete for a championship. Their recruiting class is ridiculous when you consider the best world select player besides Biyombo likely won't get off their bench next year.

Davis sounds like a Daye-like player: grew up a guard, shot up like a bean stalk and can now take you inside and out and block shots.

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
If tonight is ant indicator Witjer better get used to sitting on the bench. Maybe he is having a bad game, but I think we are lucky to have Spangler and not him.

Pangos is solid, but he didn't have much to work with. Great ball control.

This.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm glad Karnowski was only a rumor. I hope the coaching staff can find a better big for 2012. Karnowski is a HUGE project. It's true you can't coach size, but he needs just about everything else to compete at the NCAA level.

ZagAddict
04-09-2011, 10:20 PM
As the televised Nike Hoops Summit game comes to an end, here are my thoughts:

Biyombo is a legit NBA draft pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft. He kept this game from being a 30+ blow out for Team USA.

Pangos will be a solid guard for GU as a freshman, not sure he will start though. He has a lot to work on... perimeter game needs to improve to keep defenses honest, defense definitely needs to improve to get extended minutes.

Wiltjer will be picking splinters from his behind as long as he stays at UK... even announcers were referring to him not being an impressive player in this game. He just looked completely over matched by Team USA.

Team USA had so much talent and athleticism on the court... REALLY impressive. Each one of these players will be contributors immediately for their teams.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I was impressed with the three sf's from Poland, France and Latvia; Pontika, Fournier and Bertens. Any of those three would have a pretty decent impact on the Zags.

MDABE80
04-09-2011, 10:35 PM
One thing for sure: Pangos will shoot 500 balls per day to get his shoting up to an excellent level. He's young...he'll be fine. He needs some stiff opposition to be a great one.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Abe

john montana
04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Wiltjer will likely struggle for minutes at Kentucky, but I would take him in a second at GU. Kentucky has ridiculous talent and wiltjer would have been perfect for us.

Pangs looked ok. Playing against some pretty great players he did his job and looks like he will be a solid player.

If GBJ is better than Tony wroten we are all going to smile all year. Wroten looked pretty good to me.

Bytombo and rivers are studs.

JPtheBeasta
04-09-2011, 11:43 PM
After watching this game, the person I am very excited to see in a Zags uniform is.... Gary Bell Jr., who didn't even play. Wroten looked good, and if GBJ is the better player I am stoked about his recruitment. Pangos looked very, uh, human. I'm not sure he farts rainbows like I thought he did before tonight. He looked to be a solid player with good feel and court vision, but it was not a standout performance tonight (I would really love to see him play within a system and with sets and players he is familiar with). He had some good finds- eg fast break assist for a 3 and another to the baseline when his dribble was stopped in the lane. But he also had some turnovers, got a midrange jumper swatted, and showed some cold-ish shooting as well tonight. I know it is only a one game sample, but my first and only impression is that he isn't a lock by any means to go out and steal Meech's spot. Considering Few's propensity to favor defense and stick with his incumbents, Meech has the leg up after tonight. Pangos, if he picks up the offense quickly, would seem to pose a big problem for Stockton, in the very least. There is that Tommy Lloyd quote saying that he expects Pangos to start, and I'm glad someone else is getting payed the big bucks to make those decisions.

That game was much more entertaining to watch than the McDonalds game, as the players seemed to be more in a competitive and less of an exhibition mindset. I agree with the others that USA had a lot of talent on this team and World was outmatched at almost every position. Speaking of outmeatched, Wiltjer may regret going to Kentucky, and he didn't even look like a player that would start at GU rght now, for that matter- but hey, we've had a transfer from there before, and he'd have a couple of years under his belt, so you never know...

Are there any other 6'9", 7+ foot wing span players out there hiding under a rock or something that haven't committed to the NBA? That Bismack guy looked amazing and we could use one of those :)

JPtheBeasta
04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Wiltjer will likely struggle for minutes at Kentucky, but I would take him in a second at GU. Kentucky has ridiculous talent and wiltjer would have been perfect for us.

Pangs looked ok. Playing against some pretty great players he did his job and looks like he will be a solid player.

If GBJ is better than Tony wroten we are all going to smile all year. Wroten looked pretty good to me.

Bytombo and rivers are studs.

+1. Sorry, JM. I pretty much said the same thing you did, but used a lot more words to say it. If brevity is the soul of wit, I just showed off my witlessness.

wazmix
04-10-2011, 12:00 AM
(I will have pics soon, although I couldn't get my good lens into the arena.....)

1) Pangos : Realize that the World team did not play as well as they could. Bad shooting, even when open......Sloppy turnovers against a USA team that played well in the passing lanes, and got their hands high on over-the-top passes.

I came to see Pangos provide leadership at the point.....Leadership beyond the stats. I watched him on the bench. I watched him interact with the coaches. They came to him, as he would be the leader, and he'd have to convey the coach's commands. Pangos was "into" the game with the other players. While I thought he was overmatched when trying to beat a defender off the dribble, I liked the ball in his hands. Some of the turnovers were stupid, but he will learn.
I liked some of the tough drives in the second half. I wanted him to be able to take a rough shot. (I also wanted the pretty floater to drop.)

Can he "run the show"? Yep. He can also play better.

Right now, he's a similar, slightly-better player than David Stockton.

2) Karnowski is getting bad reviews, and I agree that he may not be worth the recruiting...........but he did make some decent passes out of the post.
This was NOT a game for a player of his athletic limitations.

3) Wiltjer : Had a bad game, but had shots he normally makes. I'm not sure how effective he is in allstar games, anyway. His game is suited to a well-oiled machine........and this was NOT it. The more creaky the machine, the more creaky Wiltjer's game can seem. (He gets comparisons to Nowitzski, but games like this make me realize how good Dirk is offensively, with his ability to shoot fade-aways that can't be dealt with.)

4) Rivers : Obviously born to be a major hoops star. With the maturity of manhood, the sky is the limit. I'm eager to see him evolve in every way.

5) Bismack Biyombo : Should be "BUZZ-Mack" Biyombo, because he had the crowd buzzin'. A man's body......(the other kids these days seem rather wiry)......Active, yet unrefined.........Scary in his attack, and scary in his raw-ness. FT's a weakness, especially for someone who could get fouled every single time down the court.
Must be an absolute PITA to play against.
One of the best defensive efforts I've ever seen in an allstar game.
Someone to watch in the future, because anything can happen.

deathchina
04-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Just powered through the game, couple thoughts...

Biyambo looks explosive but his primary edge in this game was his athleticism and his "man's body" which he threw around with abandon. Always fun to see a big man play that hard, but I wouldn't write him into the HOF just yet. I saw Saer Sene do similar things in the 2006 Nike hoops summit and nobody has heard a peep from him in a while....

Loved Biyamobo's energy though and his involvement in the game.

Also liked the 3 wings Pontika, Fournier and Bertens. Their skill level was apparent despite the chaotic nature of the game. I think Potinka was my favorite of the 3. Very well rounded game.

Pangos looks extremely solid but I was hoping for a bit more "sizzle"....He made the right pass, knew when to shoot, didn't look flustered out there. However, I feel like it's pretty clear why he isn't an elite level prospect like Teague/Cook/Rivers....Just doesnt' have that extra gear. I also wish he shot more of a true jumpshot instead of his tweener setshot/jumpshot.

Love his composure and his passing though.

Don't know why everyone is hating on Wiltjer. I'm sure you'd all be singing a different song had he committed to GU. Not the most impressive looking player, but guys like him and Pangos don't shine in these all-star game type settings.

bigblahla
04-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Right now, he's a similar, slightly-better player than David Stockton.

Based on what I saw I won't say better I'll say less experienced and Stocks keeps his minutes.

Watched the game twice, The US team is Elite talent but KP got beat by virtually every guy he was defending and his lack of foot speed was more than noticeable as stated seems to lack that extra gear. Looks like Stocks II to me with a couple extra inches, so far I prefer David.

I think more now than before that KP is a RS candidate he could use the year to develop within the system and get up to speed.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagDaddy
04-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Based on what I saw I won't say better I'll say less experienced and Stocks keeps his minutes.

Watched the game twice, The US team is Elite talent but KP got beat by virtually every guy he was defending and his lack of foot speed was more than noticeable as stated seems to lack that extra gear. Looks like Stocks II to me with a couple extra inches, so far I prefer David.

I think more now than before that KP is a RS candidate he could use the year to develop within the system and get up to speed.

Go!! Zags!!!

Oh boy. That is not what I was hoping to hear....:(

Chicken Ball
04-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Karnowski looked fine. Played solid, passed well, made no mistakes. He's not a top-25 level US recruit, but he's got some nice tools. Definitely would bring more than Richard Fox, who was a fine GU player. He'd be deadly finding perimeter shooters out of the post.

ronh_pm
04-10-2011, 07:07 AM
The US team is Elite talent but KP got beat by virtually every guy he was defending and his lack of foot speed was more than noticeable as stated seems to lack that extra gear.

As I said earlier, this is pretty much how I saw it as well.

However there are a few caveats.

1.) There was more talent at guard position on the floor last night for the US than Gonzaga will likely see all season. Guarding Beal, Teague and Rivers one on one will be daunting task for any D1 guard. These guys are Players of the Year, McDonalds All Americans, and likely two of the three, if not all three, one and dones.

2.) Pangos had no support. Playing one on one against guards this good, the defensive player does not have a chance. If Teague see's a lane on the left he is not going to be stopped by the guy standing in front of him. That is why there are defensive systems in place to assist. The International team did not have a system at either end of the court.

3.) Pangos has not played at this level since last summer. I'm not an athlete but I'm guessing it is not easy changing gears from his high school level game in Ontario to play against the best playersin the world. When you see everything happening on the floor at an accelerated and more highly skilled pace for the first time, it must take a bit to adjust mentally.

I am a glass half full guy...mabye 3/4 full on Pangos. When you factor in his offensive side, and especially his natural leadership ability, I think in the Gonzaga system, he will be responsible enough defensively to earn good minutes and by the end of the season, he may be the guy on the floor when the game starts.

Unless he red shirts of course. :)

zagsfanforlife
04-10-2011, 07:14 AM
When I watched Pangos last night, I thought his game was similar to DAVID Stockton. Looked like a decent passer, but turnover prone when guarded by bigger, stronger opponents at this point in his career. Can control the game well, but will not put up 20 on you.

He is a little bigger than Stockton, I will give you that, but really I am not convinced he will start over Stockton or play over Stockton next year. His shot is still a work in progress in well. If he is going to be the next Dan Dickau like some mentioned, his shot needs a lot of work. It is very off balanced. The kid sounds like a gym rat so I will bank on him improving in his four years. First look at him though, I could not separate him from Stockton or the other GU point guards for that matter.

MickMick
04-10-2011, 07:26 AM
When I watched Pangos last night, I thought his game was similar to DAVID Stockton. Looked like a decent passer, but turnover prone when guarded by bigger, stronger opponents at this point in his career. Can control the game well, but will not put up 20 on you.

He is a little bigger than Stockton, I will give you that, but really I am not convinced he will start over Stockton or play over Stockton next year. His shot is still a work in progress in well. If he is going to be the next Dan Dickau like some mentioned, his shot needs a lot of work. It is very off balanced. The kid sounds like a gym rat so I will bank on him improving in his four years. First look at him though, I could not separate him from Stockton or the other GU point guards for that matter.

You can't draw these conclusions from an all star game.

Ever seen Stockton play against Rivers, Beal, Teague, and Wroten? Do you think it would be pretty?

Let's just say that Pangos handled himself well considering the circumstances. I think the upper half of the WCC would be very competitive with that World team.

NEC26
04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I never thought Pangos was a physically dominating type player like Rivers or Wroten. He is a game manager that can shoot the three as well. This type of game is not suited for his style really. They get thrown together and the incredibly athletic players get to show what they can do out there. I saw what I expected an ability to handle and control the ball and shoot (but I also only watched the first half).
He faced some really good guards who can put a lot of pressure on you and handled it well I thought. I saw a lot more turnovers by the other guards they had out there. I imagine we will see Pangos flourish a lot more once he is in Fews system and everybody is on the same page. I think we need to remember he was picked to play on that team for a reason and that shows a lot right there. I don't think anyone thought he would be a one and done type guy which he clearly isn't.

zagsfanforlife
04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
You can't draw these conclusions from an all star game.

Ever seen Stockton play against Rivers, Beal, Teague, and Wroten? Do you think it would be pretty?

Let's just say that Pangos handled himself well considering the circumstances. I think the upper half of the WCC would be very competitive with that World team.

Countering your argument, you can't say that the glimpses you saw of him last night will lead you to believe he is going to be the starting PG of GU next year.

You know as well as I do, Gonzaga's schedule will be full of players like Teague or Wroten. He handled the pressure okay... not great, but okay.

And my argument on his shot is accurate. He leans forward with one foot, and is way off balanced. IMO, he didn't look like the second coming of Dickau. But to each their own. You have a positive spin on his game, I have a critical approach to the game last night.

karloslonn
04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
1st off Pangos looked ready to me but as far as the polish guy, he reminded me a little too much of WILL FOSTER. Not impressed. Wiltjer though, I really can't believe he's going to kentucky. He kinda reminded me of olynyk at the same age, slow lumbering moves, not much verticle. Pollock and Wiltjer were two of the more overmatched players for the world team and Pangos still could've kept them in it if the coach would've played him more.

MickMick
04-10-2011, 08:58 AM
You know as well as I do, Gonzaga's schedule will be full of players like Teague or Wroten.

You lost me with this.

First, you picked the "worst" two guards of the USA team (As if they aren't really good).

Second, It was Rivers that Pangos had the most difficulty with in transition.

Third, I can't disagree more that the Zag schedule will be "full" of players of that caliber.

Fourth, This is an All-Star game and the style is completely counter to Pangos' skill set. He isn't going to shine in streetball.

zagsfanforlife
04-10-2011, 09:00 AM
You lost me with this.

Post their non conference schedule (or what we know of it so far) and I will give you 15-20 guards that are just as good as the two listed above

CDC84
04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
We saw a fraction of what Pangos can do offensively. He was clearly under the directive last night to run the offense and get other players involved. It is what he was selected for - what he needed to do on a team that was assembled on such short notice. He will have much greater freedom in the GU system to show off more of what he can do offensively. To a certain extent his hands were tied last night.

Defense is something that Kevin will need to work on (as is the case with most frosh), but at least he's 6-1 and close to 190 pounds. That's a good starting point.

gonwick
04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Ran into Michael Gilchrist, the number 3 ranked Kentucky recruit at the airport, along with another player my wife and I couldn't recognize. Seems like a nice kid. Have to wonder if Wiltjer will be getting playing time...

BobZag
04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I'd appreciate it if someone posts a boxscore if one can be found. :)

It doesn't surprise me that the running and athletic team thumped the team that needed structure. You can't have a unified structured team in two days with guys who can barely comminicate with each other.

I've seen enough of Pangos to know what he can do. I also know Wiltjer is a great player but needs structure (which is why UK was an odd choice). I can't comment on Karnowski either way but I've been less than enthused since the get-go on him.

I'm pretty confident Pangos and Bell will be a formidable backcourt when the duo are sophomores. They just MIGHT be good enough as frosh. I'll wait.

MDABE80
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Remember....you're all seeing a high school senior vs a kid (David) who's been in the program for 2 years and has done a very creditable job in his 2n year.

Pangos was fine last night. He had 2 players to work with as the World team was just incompetent to compete with the Buzzsaw caled USA. The US team is a FF team..fast , quick high flying and big with hops galore. Kevin hasn't see this level of competitive..maybe ever. Surely not in his Senior year in Canada.

Pangos will be a great one. Slow start as he shares minutes his first year but by year 2, you'll be sorry if you sleep on him. Book it.

ZagMan in Philly
04-10-2011, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=BobZag;662901]I'd appreciate it if someone posts a boxscore if one can be found. :)

Link to box score:
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/usa_downs_world_select_team_92_2011_04_10.html

BobZag
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM
For doubters of Pangos, I'd ask this:

How would Derek Raivio fared in this game his high school senior year? Remember how spindly he was. You could see his ribs. Weighed like 150 lbs.

How would Dan Dickau have fared against Austin Rivers and Brad Beal in high school?

But Jeremy Pargo would've looked like a star.

Pangos will be fine, just as Dickau and Raivio were. Put Pangos in Few's system will play entirely different. It'll be fine.

BobZag
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=BobZag;662901]I'd appreciate it if someone posts a boxscore if one can be found. :)

Link to box score:
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/usa_downs_world_select_team_92_2011_04_10.html

Thanks, Philly! Wroten with 4pts, 5asts, 3tos... Maybe I need to watch a DVD of this game to understand all the high praise.

Pangos played 16 minutes? Okey-dokey. I'll pass on any judgment based on 16 minutes of PT. Roy Rana sure didn't show any favoritism.

TheBunnieRancher
04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Please remember that, besides being longer and more athletic, Team USA included 7 players from last summer's FIBA gold medal team. Team World had just 2 days together and speak different languages.

bballbeachbum
04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
http://northpolehoops.com/?action=article&pageid=e0c641195b27425bb056ac56f8953d24

"A genuinely humble individual...." liked this quote as well

A Coach's son, some of that showed last night; who doesn't like that? want to see more of him of course, and Bell Jr., too. agree with the comparisons to DS from last night's glimpse of Kevin's game. even with his limited minutes he showed some of the good things we've heard about, but the world's performance was very uneven, at best. Wiltjer got 8 of his points late when it was done already, one bucket a banked in 3 prayer; shocked and awed he looked to me. not Kevin, nor some other world players mentioned in other posts. that's a nice positive I think.

the_Canadian_Pipeline
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
We should also note that the 3 point line was extended compared to high school basketball. If you're knocking Kevin's shot after this game, he is going to for sure prove you wrong next year...he can flat out shoot the ball don't anyone worry about that. Leaps and bounds better than Stockton in that regard.

bigblahla
04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
We should also note that the 3 point line was extended compared to high school basketball. If you're knocking Kevin's shot after this game, he is going to for sure prove you wrong next year...he can flat out shoot the ball don't anyone worry about that. Leaps and bounds better than Stockton in that regard.

Look I love the fact KP is coming to GU but there is a segment here that proclaim him ready to go out of the box and I don't see it. I've watched his shot and don't see what you're talking about and I pay attention to form. Great passer, so's Stocks.

As someone else stated practice is gonna be a war and my eyes say initially Stocks is going to school Pangos and in the process help him get better. I would love to watch those two go at it on the court. Remember David knows a lot of tricks on the court and my gut says he will frustrate the heck out of KP to start with.

The competition will be good for both players and great for GU.

I was one of the first on the Stocks bandwagon and in-spite of the continual diatribe brought forth here about his lack of athleticism, shooting ability, foot speed etc.... Until someone proves different I believe coach and staff have plans for Stocks next year and it's not riding the pine.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!