PDA

View Full Version : Nice article in the Gonzaga Bulletin

EuroZag2010
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Watching these games helped me uncover the most entertaining parts of women's basketball, and even remove my prior bias that everything about women's sports is inferior. For example, junior forward Kayla Standish scored 30 points on back-to-back nights against Iowa and UCLA. While this is a standout performance at any level of the game, it is rare in men's basketball to see a performance like Standish's: 22-of-25 shooting, especially with most of her attempts being mid range jump shots (consistently referred to as a lost art in basketball).

Vandersloot and Standish exemplified that a successful women's basketball player cannot simply get by on athletic ability; that pure skill and high basketball IQ are essentials for the top players in the sport. This emphasis provided for a highly exciting atmosphere in a different way than the men's tournament has ever done for me.

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/column-same-sport-a-different-perspective-1.2145712?MMode=true

gamagin
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
well written piece, too. kudos to the Bulletin writer who penned it.

BobZag
04-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I've said many times to many people that women's games are just as enjoyable and exciting to attend than men's games, if not more.

Already looking forward to next season.

EuroZag2010
04-09-2011, 09:16 AM
well written piece, too. kudos to the Bulletin writer who penned it.

Thanks Gamagin!!

I spend a lot of time on the GU campus, the GU bulletin is one of my favorite newspapers to read. The article was very well written, its nice to see the ladies get the credit they deserve.