06-23-2007, 10:02 AM
http://www.aoc.noaa.gov/images/g4-2.jpg
Here Come The Gonzaga Bulldogs

Zag79
06-24-2007, 01:06 AM
thats too small, and its big time! :D

Bing
06-24-2007, 06:23 AM
The last I heard, it was about 98% done. Here's hoping the deal has been finalized (and 22 passengers is not too small).

Zag79
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
im sure its finalized by now.

(and 22 passengers is not too small).

was a joke...

Angelo Roncalli
06-25-2007, 06:51 AM
The down payment has been made.

Think of how it will affect recruiting: "You will never have to a) stand line line for security; b) sit around in an airport; or c) have a layover to change planes."

tyra
06-25-2007, 06:57 AM
I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not. Is the team getting a jet or leasing a jet for travel?

Bing
06-25-2007, 07:53 AM
1. Not kidding.
2. Yes, although it will be available for anyone to charter (presumably even other WCC or Pac 10 schools if they chose to). They would just have to live with the "Gonzaga Bulldogs" painted on the side, with Spike on the tail.

MickMick
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
The first plane I ever saw like that was black and had "Black Sabbath" painted on the side of it. Not really a Jesuit decor, but I was very impressed anyway.

GoZags
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I had a conversation with some key members of GU leadership about this early last week. I was under the impression that details were being kept pretty close to the vest.

Seems like it's common knowledge now.

This is great for the Zags.

I recall some comments after the WCC tourney in Portland about the Gonzaga motorcoach (which was and is pretty cool). This news, however, takes it to a whole new level. i.e. "the big time".

lothar98zag
06-25-2007, 04:18 PM
The first plane I ever saw like that was black and had "Black Sabbath" painted on the side of it. Not really a Jesuit decor, but I was very impressed anyway.
I was thinking something similar...

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8015/almost20famous203784942xk0.jpg

Somewhat fitting since Ammo looks like the lead singer of the band in the movie.

Hopefully GU's plane doesn't have any problems like in the movie...

ZaginLaw
06-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Was the problem with the Ducks recruits using a private jet because it was a boosters - Nike/Phil Knight?

The plane will make trips easier and comfortable. Very nice.

brasszag
06-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I was thinking something similar...

"I am flying high over Moscow, Idaho, with America's hottest team, and we are all about to die."

CDC84
06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
The other advantage of having a jet like this is that it can be designed for basketball players. Guys like Josh, Will, Kuso and Theo usually don't have a lot of fun on commercial flights with their dang knees pressed against their shoulders in order to fit in their seat for take off.......

ZagNut08
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm sure it will have some nice tvs for watching game tapes...students can make it back after monday night games for class tuesday.

not too shaby

ZagNative
06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know if Darth Zag has a direct line on the exact model involved, but the photo in the post is of a Gulfstream G-IV. This site lets you see various configurations for the cabin: Link (http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=238) Click on the link on the right for cabin photos.

This would be comfy,

http://us.airliners.net/photos/middle/6/6/9/0898966.jpg

Unfortunately, with that configuration, some guys would have to be strapped to the wall at takeoff and landing. Gulfstream G-IV is supposed to be capable of seating between 14 and 19, per the linked site.

They will definitely need at least one table for card games included, though.

I love speculating when we don't have a clue what we're talking about and can let our imaginations run wild.

Rangerzag
06-26-2007, 02:13 AM
"I am flying high over Moscow, Idaho, with America's hottest team, and we are all about to die."

Will we get the word on who the "ZagAids" will be??? ;) ;) ;)

kdaleb
06-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Was the problem with the Ducks recruits using a private jet because it was a boosters - Nike/Phil Knight?

The plane will make trips easier and comfortable. Very nice.

I think Oregon's problem was that the plane was being used for recruiting. Using private jets for current student athletes is ok.

BoltZag
06-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Gulfstream G-IV is supposed to be capable of seating between 14 and 19, per the linked site.

Right, but any plane can be (and most are) specially configured for the buyer. The Gulfstream site just shows the most common configs. It's all about weight...so the seating lineup will be based entirely on anticipated weights.

For $35 million, you can put the seats any damn where you please. :D

lawzag
06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Definite recruiting boost. Young kids are impressed by the darnest things - oops we're not that young are we? :p

Seriously, because we do so much cross country traveling to help our RPI, this will help shorten the "travel time" required of the players & give them some much needed rest before and during travel.

way to step up GU!

GoZags
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
zagnut08 has hit the nail on the head. ESPN Big Monday has been, and will be for the foreseeable future, a part of WCC scheduling. Gonzaga will pretty much remain a part of every game (unless, as was the case last year National network t.v. picks up the Zags and 2 other WCC schools play on ESPN).

This new mode of transportation will allow the guys to get back to Spokane several hours after the conclusion of the game. And -- it will help on the coast to coast trips as well.

MickMick
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Perhaps the new ride is an indication of future plans? Maybe a lot of trips to the Atlantic Coast?

sittingon50
06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
For Angelo or anyone in the know. It's my sense that many MBB teams charter but don't have their own (Gulfstream). Is this a public/private University issue/use of funds?

GoZags
06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
You are correct. Many schools charter. Some charter the same plane time after time from a group of individuals that own the plane (which is also available--and marketed to a multitude of other charter clients).

It just so happens that when organizations, Companies or other teams charter a particular jet (owned by a group of individuals) the jet they charter may be painted "Gonzaga Bulldogs" along the fusilage and may have "Spike" on the tail.